Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2001, 01:42 PM   #1
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Don't condemn my generation for the stoopidity of a few. I'm 17 and there's no one here who can dispute the fact that I'm responsible for the hardest Beatles trivia question the board has ever seen
Well. Ask it again...so I can answer it in 2 seconds!

Being 45, I grew up with the "Fab Four".

I miss those days...waiting for the next album!

"The Beatles Forever"

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 12-02-2001, 03:15 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

Don't cheat by looking at IP's answer in the old Beatles Trivia thread, but the question was: What does "Jae Guru Deva Om" mean? I may have the spelling a bit off, but you know what I mean.

White Album is awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it for ppl new to the Beatles. It's, how shall I put this, the weirdest thing I've ever heard (that's a compliment btw)
Old 12-02-2001, 11:16 PM   #3
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Well...that is hard...I do not know! i know the song it's from...so I will guess..."Nothings gonna change my world"...feeble!

I would suggest Revolver as a good first listen!

The Beatles first backward music was done accidentaly on the song "Rain". This is what gave John the idea!

Beatles backwards (a little off topic...sorry):

White Album:
1.Gibberish right before the song "Blackbird" played backwards says
"Paul is deadman, miss him, miss him, miss him."
2. During the weird "Revolution 9"..."Number nine" played backwards says, "Turn me on deadman"

Ther are more...but they are not
messages .

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 12-03-2001, 08:49 AM   #4
Silva
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Don't cheat by looking at IP's answer in the old Beatles Trivia thread, but the question was: What does "Jae Guru Deva Om" mean? I may have the spelling a bit off, but you know what I mean.

White Album is awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it for ppl new to the Beatles. It's, how shall I put this, the weirdest thing I've ever heard (that's a compliment btw)
Errrr uhmmm guru means a spiritual leader or guide or teacher, and om is a meditation mantra, meaning something like all things or it's meant to represent all the sounds or something.

Am I allowed to cheat by looking this up in my meditation books, or asking my man whos a huge beatles fan?

My guess is it's a mantra but I'd have to look it up somewhere to know more, is that cheating?

And I've listened to the white album several times and it's still totally weird to me, sounds almost discordant, but my man loves it. I prefer Sgt Pepper, and I'm always humming yellow submarine.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:14 AM   #5
garrfin
Sapling

I think you should all get a copy of 'The hangmans beautiful daughter' by The Incredible String Band. If you haven't already! i think you'd like it folks!
Old 12-03-2001, 09:27 AM   #6
anduin
Entwife

What is everyone's favorite Beatles album? My changes often, but currently it is Let It Be.

BTW, has anyone ever seen the movie Let It Be?. It is hard to find nowadays, but I HIGHLY recommend to everyone to find a copy. It has to be the most insightful Beatles production that I have ever seen....and I have seen probably almost every documentry ever made of them. Of course you know what is going on during this time in the careers and how they are on the verge of breaking up. But after watching this movie I can now say without a doubt that it was NOT Yoko (although I can see how most could see it that way and undoubtly it didn't help). But Paul is the definitive cause in my mind. Which is a sad because he was always my favorite. But not any longer I must say. Talk about an arrogant control freak! He does not shut up! And you can see their weariness over it on John's face especially.

Moving on....There is a great little number that is sung in it's entirity in the movie that is only included partly on the album and that is Dig It. Why oh why didn'y they include the entire song on the album?! Now granted the song says very little, just repeats itself actually, but what an infectious little number.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:03 PM   #7
Darth Tater
The man

It is a mantra, as a matter of fact the reason that I know what it means is it was my father's mantra for a while (Maharishi Mahesh Yogi gave it to him personally).

Anduin, you've gotta bring that video to Entmoot 01!
Old 12-03-2001, 07:27 PM   #8
anduin
Entwife

Ahh! That's a great idea!
Old 12-03-2001, 09:30 PM   #9
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Anduin wrote...
Quote:
I've listened to the white album several times and it's still totally weird to me, sounds almost discordant
I love the White Album...especialy side 3...the funny thing is, side 3 used to be the one I did not like as much as the rest!
I think, when it was released on CD, the quality was so much better, that it renewed my interest.

Back to George Harrison...I love his songs...
Savoy Truffle, and Old Brown Shoe!

I have alot of favorite Beatles songs, no certain favorite albums though.
One extremely great song that hardly ever gets any airplay is from the Yellow Submarine album, and is called, "Hey Bulldog".
Give it a listen, if you can!

Another thing of note. There is only one song Lennon admitted was written under the influence(or, got the idea from) drugs, it was "She Said, She Said" (from the Revolver album). Although there are obviously others, like Norwegian Wood and (L)ucy In The (S)ky With (D)iamonds.!

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!

Last edited by ringbearer : 12-03-2001 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:46 PM   #10
Darth Tater
The man

Anduin didn't say that, Silva did. Don't missquot anduin if you value your life
Old 12-03-2001, 11:03 PM   #11
anduin
Entwife

Umm, Silva said that...not me.

Hey Bulldog! is a good one. I didn't have Yellow Sub until 3 or 4 years ago. I had always listened to it off a compliation 8-track called "The Beatles Rock 'n' Roll Music" or something silly like that.

One of my most favorite songs has to be "Rain". It is a b-side of one of their singles, but you can find it on the white "Past Masters". Speaking of "Past Masters".....I like "You Know My Name, Look Up The Number"....very funny the first time I heard it. Tell me Paul wasn't on something when he recorded that song!

For a long time my favorite album was "Rubber Soul"....."I've Just Seen A Face" was probably my favorite song off of there....that and I'm "Looking Through You". I was 14 or so if I remember right. "Abbey Road" was a fave for a long time , but that was right after high school.....it was the first CD I had ever owned. Somehow I didn't discover "Revolver" until sometime after college.....that's when "Abbey Road" fell a notch and "Revolver" moved up to number one. I just go through phases.....next week it could be "With/Meet The Beatles".

What albums, cds, singles does everyone have in their collections?

For christmas one year I got a very small box from my then boyfriend. We had been dating for about 3 years then and my first thought was that it was a ring. I open this little box all nervous and excited and what is inside but two small plastic beetles. I was like, "what the.....?" He started laughing and pulls out this thing about the size of a bread box (really ). And its this black roll top box and inside is every Beatles LP plus "Past Masters" vol. 1 and 2!! It was just the coolest present and best delivery ever!

Also I have this friend who works at a comic book/used records store and she gave me a complete set on vinyl....No first presses though.

Lol, that just reminded me of this time that she calls me up and tells me that some mother just cleaned out her son's room and found this box of old albums and she was selling them to the store. She then procedes to tell me that one of these records is by the Beatles and looks really weird.....has them all in white "lab" coats with slabs of meat and decapitated baby dolls all around them. Well I just about lost my lunch, literally. So I make her basically stash the record away and tell her not to let anyone see it (she thinks I'm crazy) until she brings it over to my house. When she gets there she pulls it out of the bag and its none other than......."Rarities". Yet another compliation album. On the inside flap of the single fold jacket is the original cover of "Yesterday and Today". All ended well (despite the loss of wealth that was never really mine. ) I played a practical joke on my friend by folding the jacket back on itself so that the "Butcher Cover" appeared on the front and pulling it out of a bag....the look on his face was priceless.

Good grief! I am sorry this post is soooo long....but sometimes when I talk about the Beatles I don't know when to stop.....use to drive my mom batty!
Old 12-04-2001, 08:35 AM   #12
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Forgive me, anduin !

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 12-04-2001, 08:51 AM   #13
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

:wispers to ringbearer: "now your supost to get down on your knees and begg for mercy"

lol
Old 12-04-2001, 05:10 PM   #14
anduin
Entwife

Hey, no prob. I hadn't realize that Tater already posted about it. Funny, I actually thought it was he that had said it at first.....I had to go back and check to be sure.