Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2001, 09:34 AM   #1
anduin
Entwife

All things must pass.....

Yesterday my favorite band lost one of it's members to cancer. George Harrison although not my favorite Beatle, was one of my favorite song writers. I will miss him.

"He left this world as he lived it, conscious of God, fearless of death, and at peace surrounded by friends and family," said his family.

George Harrison (1943-2001)
Old 11-30-2001, 10:59 AM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't here anything about this!!!!!!!!! No way! Now way! This can't be! Oh my God.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:04 AM   #3
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

something just occured to me. Did any of the Beatles have happy lives after they broke up? This is so terribly sad! George was only fifty-somehting...
Old 11-30-2001, 11:53 AM   #4
Darth Tater
The man

There was that very rough period that history tends to focus on, but I think they've all lead pretty wonderfull lives.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:02 PM   #5
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I heard that this morning. My friend comes in and says "George Harrison died."
I say, "Who?"
Yeah, I smacked myself. That is really sad. One of our local stations is playing a Beatles song every other song.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:08 PM   #6
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

That is terrible. World has lost one of its brightest stars.

"Orange is the new pink, and men are the new women."
Old 11-30-2001, 12:30 PM   #7
Darth Tater
The man

Here's what I posted in the AICN talkback about this (anduin, don't hurt me)

I was under the impression George was doing better; that's what the press releases said. So when I popped in at my bulletin board this morning and saw a topic called "All things must pass away" I had no idea what to expect. It was posted by one of our admins and my first assumption was that she was resigning. I opened the topic expecting to have to deal with yet another problem (you know how bb's are) and was hit with this news. I wasn't around when the world lost John Lennon, so I've never really gone through this in the moment before. I just don't know what to think. It's gonna be a day of listening to "Something" over and over again till I get too sad and have to listen to "Let It Be" to remember where George is going.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:43 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I was very disappointed with the reaction that I received from my 16 year old niece when I told her of George Harrison's death. She asked me who he was. I told her. She was familliar with the Beatles, as are most people. When I explained to her about how the Beatles revolutionized the world, she laughed in my face. It is very distressing to me when people that were not born and did not have the chance to witness this fantastic era in history, laugh it off, and misplace the credit of such a great band, directing it toward their own era and artists that will never be able to match the style or influence that this group had on the intire world. The Beatles did more then just make music, their way of thinking changed the way of life for an intire generation of fans, and their parents. It was a time of rebelion, fashion statemnts, self expression for love, peace, god, and freedom, all due to the infuence of this wonderful band and its members. 4 kids with a dream to change the world, and they did. The Beatles, will live forever, and so will their ideals.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:15 PM   #9
gdl96
the greg the admin

I was never a big Beatles fan at all, but I always gave them their deserved credit. I'm not sure if they did or how they revolutionized music, but I usually just take people's word on it. But my mom grew up in that time period, and she has always been a big Beatles fan. She came to me this morning and told me that he died. I wasn't exactly sure what to think...I'm not a big Beatles fan, so I wasn't very sad. It's a tragedy, but it doesn't really touch me.

At least he died in a more peaceful way than John Lennon.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:32 PM   #10
gdl96
the greg the admin

I was never a big Beatles fan at all, but I always gave them their deserved credit. I'm not sure if they did or how they revolutionized music, but I usually just take people's word on it. But my mom grew up in that time period, and she has always been a big Beatles fan. She came to me this morning and told me that he died. I wasn't exactly sure what to think...I'm not a big Beatles fan, so I wasn't very sad. It's a tragedy, but it doesn't really touch me.

Old 11-30-2001, 09:08 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96

They did a lot more then revolutionize music. They changed the world. Something that I think we all dream of doing in our lifetime, but only a few succeed at. I realize that a lot of young people only know what they have been told, and it is a lot different then livng through it. I am just amazed at the defiant doubt that is expressed when told of that achievement, and the credit directed toward a non-deserving group, or just not accepted at all. It is very frustrating, especially in the face of losing one such as George Harrison.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:58 AM   #12
anduin
Entwife

I would have to agree. For example, Sgt. Pepper's was a revolutionary album and marked a turning point (for all intents and purposes) in their careers and in the music industry. A lot of "firsts" were established with the release of that album, things that today would be taken for granted.

What was the first satellite broadcast shown all around the world at the same time? "Our World"...in which England's contribution was the Beatles singing "All You Need Is Love".

Who was the first artist to use backwards recorded music/lyrics? John Lennon on Strawberry Fields Forever. (Right?)

What was the first "concept album", where the whole album was designed and thought given to the ordering of songs? Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Speaking of "firsts"...that album has plenty of them....just ask.

What songwriters can be indentified by only mentioning their first names? John and Paul....Lennon/McCartney.

They were icons of the 60's. They will be the only musicans remembered 500 hundreds years from now...in the same way that Mozart is remembered today.

Just watch footage from some of their earlier concerts....the fans are hysterical. They often commented that they could not even hear themselves when playing live due to the screams of their fans....that was unheard of back then.

If anyone is out there wondering what they are all about, listen to "Abbey Road", and tell me they weren't completely ahead of their time.....and remember that album is over 30 years old. 30!

Man, don't even get me started!
Old 12-01-2001, 12:22 PM   #13
Darth Tater
The man

Don't condemn my generation for the stoopidity of a few. I'm 17 and there's no one here who can dispute the fact that I'm responsible for the hardest Beatles trivia question the board has ever seen
Old 12-01-2001, 03:51 PM   #14
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Don't condemn my generation for the stoopidity of a few. I'm 17 and there's no one here who can dispute the fact that I'm responsible for the hardest Beatles trivia question the board has ever seen
Don't get me wrong Darth. I would never condem an intire generation like that. It is a select few, as I said, my neice for one. I saw your reaction when Anduin posted the news. As a matter of fact, I take acception to most of the young people on this board. Any kids that are so into an author like Tolkien are ok in my book. I wish my son was as interested in these things as you guys are. So please Darth, do not misunderstand. My frustration was from my neices reaction due to pure ignorance.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:29 PM   #15
gdl96
the greg the admin

Don't get me wrong...it's not like I'm totally blind of that generation of music. I have discoverd great music from bands such as Queen, Styx, and Led Zeppelin, especially Queen. (in fact, I was planning on starting a thread last month reminding people is was 10 years since freddy mercury's death, but forgot!)

Maybe I will get into the Beatles. Any songs (not just albums) that you truely recomend?
Old 12-01-2001, 07:11 PM   #16
Silva
Hobbit

The thing that I thought was rather incredible was that in the paper here it says George Harrisons last words were about how we should all love each other. It's always sad when someone dies, but I just thought it was such a nice thing that he would think of the world and leave a message for us all like that. And it's cool sentiment too, think how much better the world would be if we did all love each other. I didnt know much about George Harrison but it's interesting to hear just how spiritual he actually was.

I'm not hugely keen on the beatles music, it's ok and they sure wrote some great songs.
But this thing about the beatles changing the way a generation thought, wasnt it just the entire hippy thing that did that? I mean there were so many other bands that similar thing could be said about, in a way it just seemed a real incredible time cos everything came together.

Shame I missed the 60s by a few years, my era was more punk rock
Old 12-01-2001, 07:23 PM   #17
Darth Tater
The man

I'll leave it to anduin and Sister Golden Hair to put Silva in her place

Greg, the Beatles best albums are experiances. I really recommend setting some time asside to listen to Sgt. Pepper's straight through. It's absolutely incredible, and a good starting place for a newcomer to the Beatles.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:50 AM   #18
Silva
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
I'll leave it to anduin and Sister Golden Hair to put Silva in her place

lol And just how do you know that I'm a woman? Actually you are right, I am, but how on earth did you know???
Hmmm put me in my place, should be interesting.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:36 AM   #19
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well silva does sound more like a girls name, but i think that they just assume that everyone is a girl

I have been called a girl before (prob. because people keep calling me "Tess")
Old 12-02-2001, 11:31 AM   #20
anduin
Entwife

Abbey Road would also be a great album to get familiar with. Oh and "The White Album" which is actually titled The Beatles. It came out right after Sgt. Pepper's and was called "The White Album" because it had nothing printed on the front or back. Umm, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour, Rubber Soul.......