Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #61
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"I am Beryn." the Beorning replied. "As you might have guessed I'm not from around here. Although.." She glanced around the destroyed village to the rest of her travelling companions with a small smile on her lips. "... most of my current company isn't either. My own people live between the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood. Ah, there they are."

She waved to Kalin as soon as she spotted him, as usual in the viscinity of Harn. Curiously there was a third man with them whom Beryn didn't know. He was dressed in brown and green and was well-armed with a sword and a longbow. Beryn hid a smile when she assumed Harn (no doubt very reluctantly) had just made another addition to his team. If so, he wasn't really going to like the newcomer she was about to bring him. This could be... interesting.

Beryn had come to find Harn's utter dislike of ever taking more people into his orc-hunt party rather amusing. Although she slightly pitied him for it too at the same time, she knew quite well what mental adjustments it took to go from solitary hunter to hunting in groups.

Last edited by Earniel : 05-14-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #62
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

OOC: Fletch paused momentarily to gather his thoughts

Last edited by Butterbeer : 05-17-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #63
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Several miles behind his orcish party, Seppicor saw a new pillar of smoke begin rising up to meet the dark haze created by the burning town. His eyebrows rose in surprise, and a nasty little smile crept across his face. That idiot Ranger was taking the time to stop and burn all the corpses? Harn, well known for his unemotional way of living, was wasting time? Likely he had been forced to do it by the elf. That thought truly did bring a smile across the wizard’s gnarled face. Well if they were going to give him extra time to create a lead, then he would use it.

Eaol was still barely able to walk, and was carried most of the time. A tough old man he might be, but he was still an old man, and though their orders had been to take him alive, he had cut down several of them, and they had taken retribution. Eaol had no plans of escape—he only hoped he could find a way to kill himself before the orcs stopped running, because he knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that the wizard would interrogate him. Eaol wasn’t sure if he had the strength to resist.

“Seppicor!” one of the orcs had dropped back to run beside the wizard’s horse. Seppicor recognized him instantly as the new leader for the orcs: during the attack on the village, the previous orc commander had been slain. His job had been to keep an eye on Seppicor, the wizard knew. Knowing orcs and their lust for death and power, Seppicor was sure no one would complain about the mysterious way one of the house fires had leapt out in a strong breeze and consumed the orc completely. Truly, it had been one of Seppicor’s more subtle moments.

“What is it?” the wizard snapped, his smile vanishing in annoyance. If this new commanded proved to be difficult, Seppicor might just have to come up with another mysterious death.

“My orcs need rest! We stop now!” the orc snarled. Many of the orcs near him nodded and snarled in agreement, and as the realization passed up the line that someone was demanding rest, more and more of the orcs began adding their voices to the demand. Seppicor’s face turned an ugly shade of purple.

“Fine!” Seppicor snarled, angry in the realization that if he tried to force the orcs on now, they wouldn’t listen to him. “But unlike you worthless maggots, I will spend this time productively. Set up my tent, and make sure I have my tools close at hand.”

The new orc commander couldn’t help but grin. Not only had his demands been followed, but the wizard was going to torture the prisoner. Perhaps, if the wizard severed a limb, he would give it to the orcs. The prisoner looked tough and scrawny, but it was still fresh meat.

“BREAK CAMP!” The orc roared, eliciting a cheer from his savage companions.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Almost feeling he had met a kindred spirit, Harn’s mood had lifted somewhat. It dropped immediately when he saw Beryn approaching him with another young, eager looking man. Where did all these people come from? And why were they all congregating around Harn all of the sudden?

Anticipating Harn’s displeasure, Kalin subtly let his elbow smack against the Ranger’s forearm, numbing his arm and drawing a grunt from the surly man. A little grumpiness Kalin expected from Harn, but the human was taking it much too far this time. Kalin hoped this strange moodiness would leave when they had recovered Eaol. Harn was worried… no, he was frightened, of what it would mean if Seppicor removed any information from Eaol.

“You wish to journey with us?” Kalin questioned, moving away from Harn and signing that he would handle this newcomer. Of course he intended to handle it a little differently from the way Harn probably assumed he would. “We would be happy to have you join us, but I hope you are ready to move immediately. There is no telling how many miles our foe has gained on us with this delay, but we must cover them more swiftly than he.”
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #64
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"Aye we must move quickly: they are many and well armed and moved fast: i have just come back down their trail yonder: they have taken my fiancee Ravenlocks the foul vermin! : i dare not think what shall befall her in their evil hands"

Fletch panted, knuckles whitening as his fists clenched, anger and concern blazing across his face.

"will you help me hunt them? my mount and belongings are not far along just off their trail there ...."

Fletch looked around at the odd bunch assembled. Beryn was right they were from many different places, except maybe the small hobbit maid with the large bloodstained frying pan ...

Last edited by Butterbeer : 05-26-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #65
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

“We do not seek to hunt down and destroy all of the orcs,” Kalin explained, “we seek only to rescue a man who has information that the orcs intend to force from him. We will gladly assist you in the rescue of your fiancé, but if you plan to take on the orc patrol you will have to do so yourself, and you cannot draw attention back to our party after we have rescued the man.”

~*~*~*~

Leaving the wizard’s torture tent, a single orc scurried over to one of the fires and spat at the feet of one of the orcs that sat beside it to gain his attention.

“You! The wizard wants a pot of hot water. Take that one you’ve got and get some water heated.”

“Get your own pot,” the sitting orc spat back, his companions nodding and growling in agreement.

“Your pot’ll do, and I wouldn’t annoy the wizard now, if I were you.” A nasty grin spread across the orc’s face and he whispered, “He’s almost broken the old man. Once he has the information he needs, it’s sure as anything he’ll be filling that pot right back up with a bit of man-flesh.”

Suddenly eager, the sitting orcs leapt to their feet and set about emptying the pot, and then refilling it with water. If Seppicor was near to getting what he wanted from the prisoner, it was as sure as anything that they would be supplied with their food.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #66
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Fletch clapped the Elf on the shoulder, with a releived grin
"Fine! I just want her back and quick: you should leave these villagers now: my brother has gone off to Bree to get help: they will bury them after their fashion, but my heart burns within me: i rue now every second we tarry here"

They were a strangely silent group he thought, wondering at the look he we was getting from the tall warrior by the Elf, he met his look eye to eye and they locked looks for a momment

Fletch stepped forward suddenly towards the man "Fletch " he said cautiously still reading the man's body language...

Beryn and kalin both looked on suddenly interested
Old 05-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #67
Earniel

OOC: Not sure why I should be suddenly so interested, so I'm going to be a wee wayward, hope you don't mind. Besides, we do need to get some moving on, we've been in this village for weeks!

IC:

In Beryn's mind the she-bear suddenly stirred restlessly. You can observe social exchanges later, it said to her. You've wasted enough time digging through rubble and ashes while you let the trail grow cold. The orcs won't be holding a tea party until you feel like resuming the chase, you know.

"Indeed, this isn't the right time," Beryn said softly. It took her a moment to realise she said it out loud.

"Well, it isn't," she repeated slightly defensive, as if the four men around her would question her over it. "As much as I like introductions, we can do that on horse-back. At least, last time I checked one doesn't need one's mouth to steer a horse. And the rest of the party will want to meet these two as well. So let's avoid doing it twice needlessly. I'll just go gather the others and then we can continue what we came to do here in the first place."

Then with a short nod and without awaiting a reply, she turned away and strode towards where the rest of the party was still searching in the village and aiding the few survivors. She informed them that help for the village was on the way from Bree and that they should continue to search for Eaol.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #68
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

“An excellent idea,” Harn said to Beryn, brushing past Fletch and offering him only a nod of greeting. “Everyone to their horses, and see if you can’t get the girl up on my horse. I’ll scout ahead, and rejoin you all in the evening.”

“I’ll join you,” the man, Lanor, grunted as he flipped the hood of his cloak up to cover his head and shouldered his bow, breaking into a trot and falling in beside Harn. The two men were swiftly gone from sight, and left the others behind to mount their horses and prepare to leave.

“Do not be angered by Harn, Fletch,” Kalin murmured, “and do not judge him for his rudeness. There are things at work that he is struggling with, and afraid of. Simply do not get in his way, and you will earn his respect—if you care to gain it.” As he finished speaking, a faint grin tugged at the edge of the elf’s mouth, and he added, “Or, of course, you might choose to get in his way and earn his ire. His bark is worse than his bite.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

“How much distance do you think they made?” Harn questioned as the two men quickened their pace, but continued their vigilant watch both ahead for danger, and on the ground for signs of the orcs’ passing.

“Not far. A few miles maybe. They wasted nearly as much time destroying the… my… village as we did burning the dead,” Lanor spoke, his eyes now narrowing to slits, and his thoughts seeming to turn inward to some dark memory of the attack. At last a grim smile settled on his face, but he did not speak his new thoughts, or share his previous mood.

“We should move faster,” Harn stated, taking his pack off and slinging it to the side where he knew Kalin or some other member of the party would find it when they passed.

With barely a nod to acknowledge Harn’s words, Lanor increased his pace to match Harn’s new speed. Tirelessly, the two men scouted ahead, keeping enough distance that they could travel far beyond the riding party and insure no surprises had been left ahead. Harn knew Kalin would keep the others from catching up. In any case, they would all need their energy. If they could catch the orcs tonight, Harn had no intention of letting them get away this time.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #69
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Anfal moved towards the newcomer.
"Welcome I am Anfal. One of the Dunedain of the North."
"Fletch," replied the newcomer. "What's his problem."
"You mean Harn? He's alright. Sometimes you just want to kill him, but you'll get used to him. He feels bad about the death of a young girl who he knew, he's taken it quite hard."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 06-01-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #70
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"yeah well so will i if we don't get a move on: that party of orcs has taken my Ravenlocks!"

Fletch paused exasperated, took a deep breath and looked closely at the Dunedain:

"Anfal, well met! .. Forgive me: time presses and i need help: the vermin have a head start, they are strong and well armed: i chased them alone till i had to withdraw: ... will you aid me? No Dunedain i've ever met would deny a man in my position the right to follow in such a cause nor have him ask permission to follow his heart! But i cannot do so alone! may i not join your party? Be assured no man here nay nor elf either will be more commited nor risk putting the captives' lives at risk than me!"

Fletch looked Anfal straight in the eyes, a piercing summing look, the diamond on his eyebrow glinted in the flickering flame-light ....

"i'll take your word on this Harn and i'll trust my own judgement: he seemed a man of honour: ... but by Bacchus himself he had better start thinking clearly else he'll have two girl's deaths on his conscience and then i swear he'll have me to deal with!

What next Dunedain of the North? My mount is yonder tethered just off the Orc trial just above the ridge there ... will you aid me? If Harn and his two companions ahead catch up with the Orcs they'll not last long three against so many ... no matter how skilled they are!"

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-01-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #71
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

“Harn is not so foolish as to face an orc hoard alone,” Kalin called to the disgruntled and breathless hunter. “Should the other man choose to attack the orcs, he will do it alone without a doubt. Harn is no fool, whatever any might take him for.” A tiny smile once again touched the elf’s lips, and he leapt up easily onto the back of his white mare.

“Fletch, go and find your horse and ride to meet us. Everyone else, to your mounts, and swiftly!” Kalin commanded, nodding to each companion in turn. “There is a feeling to this day… we will find the orcs soon, and we must all be prepared.”
Old 06-03-2005, 05:47 AM   #72
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Fletch turned, about to begin the long run to his mount, some way up the trail and noticed a fine horse with the Girl being helped onto it...

"So! She stayed behind after all" thought Fletch: maybe Harn is not so reckless!"

Fletch grinned relieved: so much had happened so quickly: he quietly laughed at himself: he knew when he was jumping to conclusions!

Turning again he called to Anfal and to the Elf:

"Anfal! kalin! my gear and mount are some way off yonder not far off our trial: I could do with a steed: shall i not ride with the girl there? I will delay you else! Maybe it might be better for her to have someone with her just now too?"
Old 06-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #73
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

"You need not worry about the girl," Kalin called back in reply, his horse turning an eager circle--ready to run, but restrained by the elf. "We will move swiftly, but not at such a pace that we will catch our scouts."

"I do not like this man... Lanor," Kalin confided softly to Beryn as he let his mount's eager dance carry him closer to the large woman. "I am not comfortable to think that he simply appeared so conveniently, as did this Fletch. Yet I am more concerned about the woodsman. He seems closed in, somehow, where the other is open and emotional. Will you keep an eye on Fletch, for me? I wish to direct my attention on Lanor should we see him again."
Old 06-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #74
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

"Damn" thought Fletch, i need a horse, i'm exhausted already and its a long run to my gear and my beautiful stallion, good old 'supersonic' ....

'that must be Harn's horse then, maybe ... perhaps it was not wise to ask to ride him even for a short time?" feltch wondered looking around frantically ...

just then he saw Anfal mounting up ... maybe the Dunedain would let him ride with him just till he got to his hasty camp up on the ridge-top down trial?

"Ho there Anfal!" he shouted waving his arms

"could i ride with you till we reach my mount... i will not keep up i fear on foot!" he called
Old 06-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #75
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

"Sure thing. As a Dunedain I don't usually ride with others, but it should be fine for a short time," replies Anfal.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #76
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

" many thanks!"
Old 06-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #77
Earniel

Beryn helped Telin up and brought her to Harn's horse. "Are you sure you want to come with us, Telin?" Beryn asked. Harn had said to take the girl with them but since the newcomer Fletch had informed them that help was under way for the village, Beryn felt the decision should be the Telin's. The girl simply nodded.

"Very well," said Beryn and lifted the girl up and put her on the large horse. Anfal had taken care of the girl's wounds and the Dúnadan definitely seemed to have good healing skills, for Telin was alert enough and didn't seem to be overly bothered by her wound. She should be able to ride by herself, which was better because then Beryn didn't have to tie her to the saddle.

Without another word, the Beorning returned the young woman's short sword and knife with she had retrieved from the orc-corpses.

Just when Beryn was checking Honey's gear, Kalin came alongside and expressed his concern about Fletch and Lanor. Beryn growled softly, voicing her annoyance.

"It's unwise to take people we can't trust on this expedition," she said quiet enough so that only Kalin heard her, "regardless of whether we need all the help we can get or not. A hand short is better than a hand plunging a knife in your back. But what can't be helped, must be borne. I'll keep an eye on Fletch for ye and if he tries anything not to my liking, my staff will play a nice rhythm on his head."

She swung herself on the horseback. Looking around, she saw that all the rest was seated as well by then. Fletch was hitching a ride with Anfal until they reached his horse. Well, she thought, at least he has some common sense.

With everyone assembled, Kalin gave the signal to go. With the Elf in the lead, the group renewed the pursuit of the orc-hord.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #78
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

The party rode on for some time. The sun began to sink into the sky, and only occasionally was there a sign of the two scouts’ passing. A broken twig, a leaf bent, or a crushed plant—all left to tell anyone who was searching that they had passed in that direction. More obvious, the heavy footprints of many orcs tore like a scar across the land.

There was little conversation, and each rider was intent on his or her inner thoughts. Some remembered the village, while some thought only ahead.

Like a shadow, Lanor appeared and moved through the group, coming up beside Kalin and whispering something softly before moving ahead as if to lead. There was a hard look on the elf’s face, and he twisted about in his saddle to murmur, “We have found them, it seems,” before turning back to watch Lanor. His face never changed expressions, and the look seemed more for the woodsman’s sake than that of the news.

Instantly, every member of the party was alert and intent. Hands went to weapons and checked for them.

“They’ve camped for the night. We’ll catch them when it’s dark,” Lanor’s voice, a gruff rumble, seemed harsh and too loud for the still, tense air. “Harn remained to scout out the camp, and told me that we should rest here till dark.”

“Harn stayed?” Kalin’s voice was sharp now, and his brow furrowed as he gave the woodsman a piercing look.

“That’s what I said,” Lanor grumbled back.

“Then I will find him,” Kalin snapped, “Beryn, you’re in charge until I return. Whoever is fit for fighting should prepare themselves. I don’t know by what means Harn plans to do it, but I am sure he intends to free the prisoners tonight.”

Shooting the Beorning woman a meaningful look, Kalin slipped from his mare and seemed to vanish as deftly as the woodsman and ranger had.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #79
Earniel

Beryn slid of Honey's broad back and stretched. She wasn't made for long trips on horse-back. She untied her staff from her pack and then addressed the group.

"Very well, you all heard the Elf. It might be sometime before they come back so we'll probably be here for a while. Ye might as well get of your horses and take some rest. We've been riding long. Eat if you want to but no fire, no noice and no straying further than 20 feet of the horses. We better stay ready for immediate departure if need be," she said on a tone that would allow no protest.

She sat down against a tree, with her staff across her knees. "No need for watchmen, the horses will know somebody's coming before we do. Nevertheless, keep your weapons where you can reach them," she added.

From where Beryn sat she had a good view of the whole team and she intended to keep them there. She munched on a piece of dried meat. She felt slighted. Kalin had promised her orc-hunting, instead she now was baby-sitting while Harn had gone on alone and Kalin had gone to find him.

She knew Harn preferred to work alone but there were limits. If that ranger decide to run things solo, he'll have another thing coming, she thought gloomy, and I don't care how many orcs will hear me shoutin' then.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #80
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

It had been a fair while since the party had ridden close to Fletch's camp, Anfal had helpfully ridden just off the trial to let Fletch dismount and collect his gear and mount 'supersonic' ... Ravenlock's horse 'Sunny' and her gear he left where it stood .. he knew his brother would be along sometime to deal with it all,

Beryn had ridden back and closed in and shouted "OK .. catch up quickly " when she had seen Fletch's camp ...

emotionally Fletch grabbed Ravenlock's favourite pendant from where it had been left forlornley on the ground ...

Anfal was waiting patiently on his steed, keen to catch up the party .. for a momment Fletch turned his back, softly feeling the pendant in his hand and lost in the momment ...

then quickly moving , his back still to Anfal he mounted 'supersonic' and charged ahead to catch up with Beryn, a fire burning in his misty eyes.

When Anfal had caught him up Fletch thanked him for his help, without saying a word the two spurred their horses on and quickly took the lead until Beryn riding fast and coming up alongside told them to keep shape with the company ....

The three slowed somewhat as the party caught up ... Fletch was far too wrapped up in his own head to notice the piercing look Beryn was giving him...

they rode apace for some time, fletch regained his composure and reigned in alongside Anfal, the Dunedain had been a friend in need ... when the other fellow who'd gone of with Harn had ridden up to beryn and whispered in her ear

Fletch noticed kalin's expression: the Elf looked concerned - signalling Anfal they both brought their horse closer to the pair, suddenly alert ...

“We have found them, it seems,” said kalin

“They’ve camped for the night. We’ll catch them when it’s dark,”
“Harn remained to scout out the camp, and told me that we should rest here till dark.”

the other was heard to say

Fletch slowed his horse looking intently at the this man and flickling a glance at kalin,

he looked quickly over at the Dunedain ...

kalin quickly dismounted and went off whilst beryn took charge

"Very well, you all heard the Elf. It might be sometime before they come back so we'll probably be here for a while. Ye might as well get of your horses and take some rest..." she said

"Anfal" muttered Fletch, " I do not like this .. this seems odd .. what do you make of it?" .....