Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

The Gates of Mirkwood: Discussion

Set before the Fellowship of the Ring, the story starts in Bree.

A Ranger, Harn by name, was ordered to Bree to protect the city and send reports of any strange happenings back to his commander in the North. For two years, everything remained quiet, and Harn’s reports were mostly of harmless happenings, with little else to tell.

Eventually though, rumor reached him that patrols of Orcs were being seen around Mirkwood Forest with increasing frequency. Since he was stationed in Bree, Harn paid it no mind at first. Then he spotted an orc patrol near Bree, and began sending letters to an elven friend of his in Mirkwood, inquiring as to the orc patrols there.

Kalin, Harn’s friend, sent back that it had been discovered that an orcish fort was being constructed near Mirkwood. Mostly built by the time the elves discovered it, they were hesitant to attack it, and had contented themselves with picking off any patrols that wandered too close to the actual forest.

When Harn learned of the fort, he requested Kalin’s assistance in keeping an eye on Bree, and in making sure that the orcs didn’t attempt building a fort anywhere near or around the city. Kalin agreed and journeyed to Bree, arriving as quickly as he could.

That’s where the story begins.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

If you're interested in joining, please fill out this little character sheet. If you need some help writing a character, feel free to send me a Private Message or contact me over AIM if you see me on and we'll work something out together.

Once we have a few players, I'll start the actual RPG thread. Please, for the most part, keep OOC comments out of the RPG thread and put them here. Also put your character descriptions here.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name:

Physical Description:

Personality:

History:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Example:

Name: Harn

Physical Description: Tall and wide-shouldered, Harn stands just short of six foot tall. His black hair is lightly touched with gray, and cropped close to the head, revealing scars on his scalp. Dark green eyes are set in a middle-aged face, lined with worry and concern.

Strapped on his back is a plain sword; clearly much used, although not much older than its wielder.

Personality: Quiet and reserved. Harn’s used to taking charge and having his orders followed, as well as getting his way in most matters.

History: A Ranger from the north. Little is actually known about him since he keeps to himself for the most part, and answers questions about his past with as little information as possible.

Last edited by Tessar : 08-11-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
Aewionen
Elf Lord

Hmmm... looks interesting. I do believe I shall join.

Name: Haleth

Physical Description: Just about six feet tall, broad chest, and well muscled arms. Layered sandy-blonde hair that reaches just below his chin. Sea-green eyes that nearly always hold a hint of mischief.

Around his waist is a leather belt which holds a sword. The golden hilt is fashioned to look like the spread wings of a dragon, something his brother ad father sent him from their adventures over sea. He also has a quiver full of arrows and a bow.

Personality: Isn't very secretive unless he is sworn to it. Haleth is quick to act if something or someone he loves is placed in harm, and doesn't usually enjoy being ordered what to do.

History: He is the second son of a sailor,though he did not choose that path. His older brother Rannyn followed their father to sea on the other hand, and he hasn't heard from them in quite sometime. He is married(Aeryn) and has two five-year old twin boys, Kirav and Kael.

Is that good or do I need more?
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade

"I feel a slight tingling feeling... I think its affecting me." -Legolas during a drinking contest (EE ROTK)

Last edited by Aewionen : 08-16-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Aewionen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Looks good to me . Only question is- does he have a weapon of some sort?

What I gave out is just a back plot, and the story line is going to take a twist from the start. A character that can fight to some degree would be a good idea .
Old 08-14-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
Eärloth
Elven Warrior

i guess i'll join

Name: Dagorwen

Physical Description: Black hair, brown eyes, dark skin, Dagorwen is easily 6 foot, with broad shoulders and a wide strong back. She is never seen in a dress and always wears black. There are frown lines on her face and she carries a bow, a quiver of arrows, a long curved blade and seven throwing dirks up each sleeve.

Personality: Extremely pessimistic but rarely aloof; unwilling to act upon anything without close consideration; suspicious/sceptical, but respective of others & willing to befriend them after a time

History: uh...TBA. No, she lost her memory! Yes...memory...mahahaha.

Okay that's sh/t.
TBA

Telperinai pennar niei rossenen,
iéni únótimai be m?*ri Aiaro!
Man erca óre nio ettuccuba?
S?* mapuba Ulmo ciria ma
be findi-falla; Baradis mentuba
i Elestel i en tulia me
Annúne pella, nimpei srestanai
or helle cúna, helle rácina.
Nan merin minia lóte elanar
an sire cenin Ennor tellabe.
Namárie! Autame Balinórena,
Ennórelo autai! Namárie!

Last edited by Eärloth : 08-21-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Eärloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'd appreciate it if you'd go ahead and announce that history . If you need some help with it send me a PM.

Also, I really don't see a way to keep seven dirks up each sleeve unless she has six-foot long arms... I think something (if you really want to put a number on it) more reasonable would be three up each sleeve. Or you could just say she has 'many' knives hidden about her person.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
Eärloth
Elven Warrior

Hey! Never fight with an idiot! And anyway, last time I checked a dirk was defined in the dictionary as a short dagger…I think. And when wrapped around the wrist, not just up the sleeve, you don't actaully need six feet to conceal them -- maybe a bone in ur hand that goes a foot around, but not so long an arm. And seven sounds cooler than six (the other number I was thinking of) or many. To me, anyway. Kinda…

These are **MAGICK** daggers!!

S?* mapuba Ulmo ciria ma
i Elestel i en tulia me
Ennórelo autai! Namárie!

Last edited by Eärloth : 08-15-2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well never mind. I don't want to be a Natzi about this.

Please do your history though .

Last edited by Tessar : 08-15-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:39 AM   #9
Lúthien Galathil
Sapling

Hey! this is my first message hear, I hope I'm good at it.

Name:Luthien

Physical Description: 5 feet, 7 inchs. Brown hair streaked blonde by the sun and eyes that can't deside if they want to be green or blue. She is almost always in dresses. She does not like to fight, but when pushed to the limit, she is a whiz with a short sword and has even been known to carry a bow and a couple of arows.

Personality: quiet, shy and a little bit of a peace maker.

History: She is no elf, but was named after one by her father and believes that she must do something great to live up to it and please him.

Hope that works. If you don't aprove, I don't mind being kicked off.
Lúthien Galathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:19 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hi Tessar, mind me joining in?

Name: Beryn

Physical Description: Sturdy built, stands some (thank Eru for conversion sites) 6 foot 2. She has auburn hair, which she wears in a braid, and brown eyes. Wears a plain travel dress and cloak and carries a long, thick walking stick.

Personality: Practical. She can be blunt, and usually cares little for subtleties. She does suffer from the occasional bout of curiosity en she enjoys a good story or jokes. She herself will tell some when she's had a jug of mead or two. She's quite fond of mead.

History: Beryn is a Beorning but she keeps that mostly to herself. (People tend to get a bit nervous in the neighbourhood of a woman that can change in a bear and their panic can be so tiresome after a while) She enjoys roaming and will travel far from her usual haunt near Mirkwood when the whim takes her. She shares her kin's strong dislike for orcs and wargs and will not let opportunities to kill or thwart them pass easily.

Is that passable?

Quote:
Hey! Never fight with an idiot! And anyway, last time I checked a dirk was defined in the dictionary as a short dagger…I think. And when wrapped around the wrist, not just up the sleeve, you don't actaully need six feet to conceal them -- maybe a bone in ur hand that goes a foot around, but not so long an arm. And seven sounds cooler than six (the other number I was thinking of) or many. To me, anyway. Kinda…
You must have some wrists to wrap seven daggers around it and still be able to draw them! I tried it once with three, 'twas no big succes, let me tell you that. If you like seven that much you could make that the total of daggers your character has on her person. Oh well, I'm not going to interfere, it's your character.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:57 PM   #11
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Luthien that's a beautiful character . Very nice.

More than passable Earniel . However you'll need some reason for her to be in Bree- if you like I can bring her in with Kalin, maybe they know each other?

I think we have enough to start . I'm a bit swamped with homework at the moment, but tomorrow if I get a chance I'll get that first post up. We'll be starting off in the ever-popular tavern . Did I just hear someone say "Ooooooooo!" ?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 AM   #12
Eärloth
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
You must have some wrists to wrap seven daggers around it and still be able to draw them! I tried it once with three, 'twas no big succes, let me tell you that. If you like seven that much you could make that the total of daggers your character has on her person. Oh well, I'm not going to interfere, it's your character.
Yaaayyy!!! (magick daggers magick daggers) Why is everyone so critical of my dirks?? *sniff* ah well...

in ne case, for character history Dagorwen i have resolved to be some exotic elf (even though she has dark skin => hence the 'exotic' quote, or do i need to have that CHECKED by someone??? ) who lived on some island that was destroyed by orcs and is now a fortress where everyone sits and broods evil brooding.

S?* mapuba Ulmo ciria ma
i Elestel i en tulia me
Ennórelo autai! Namárie!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:02 AM   #13
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
More than passable Earniel . However you'll need some reason for her to be in Bree- if you like I can bring her in with Kalin, maybe they know each other?
Well, I said that she likes to roam so she might be just roaming in the direction of Bree. But since the beornings live close to Mirkwood she'll have some idea of what's going on there, so yeah, why not bring her in with Kalin. They could know each other, perhaps even traded information on orcish movements in Mirkwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärloth
Yaaayyy!!! (magick daggers magick daggers) Why is everyone so critical of my dirks?? *sniff* ah well...

in ne case, for character history Dagorwen I have resolved to be some exotic elf (even though she has dark skin => hence the 'exotic' quote, or do I need to have that CHECKED by someone??? ) who lived on some island that was destroyed by orcs and is now a fortress where everyone sits and broods evil brooding.
There, there, love, no need to get so upset. I meant no criticism, just a friendly suggestion. Rest assured I won't interfere again, I'll leave that to the game master.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:28 AM   #14
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Can I join

Name: Drut Dale
Description: 6 foot and barrel chested. Extremely strong. Black hair and silver eyes. Wears black leather clothing with silver lining. sheath is black with silver lining. Fabulous with the broad sword and exceptionally good with the bow and arrow. Extremely well kept.

Personality: Extremely friendly. Gets along with anyone and everyone. Always enjoys a good beer. Very good at slaying orcs. He loves a good fight and will never pass one up. Always enjoys a laugh and he loves to poke fun.

History: Grew up just outside of Bree. When he was 15 his parents were killed by a wondering group of orcs. Ever since he has dedicated himself to erradicating the filth of the orc from Middle-Earth. Lives in Bree now and is always eager for a good adventure.
Haradrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:34 PM   #15
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärloth
even though she has dark skin => hence the 'exotic' quote, or do i need to have that CHECKED by someone???
Yes, actually, since you asked. I do check everything . It's my job.

Please keep in mind that some times during the RPG I might ask you to edit something in a post- that's completely normal for an RPG if you want it to be a good, clearly written one. It's no slight to you or your writing. I consider myself a middling writer, and I've been asked to change things in my posts many, many times.

Also I would ask that in the actual RPG everyone write their character in third person (meaning it's not "I ran as quickly as I could," but, "Harn ran as quickly as he could,"), not use internet abreviations, and just try to keep most of the OOC chatter and messages in this thread. Thanks bunches .

Haradrim: That's just fine!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:51 PM   #16
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Also I would ask that in the actual RPG everyone write their character in third person (meaning it's not "I ran as quickly as I could," but, "Harn ran as quickly as he could,"), not use internet abreviations, and just try to keep most of the OOC chatter and messages in this thread. Thanks bunches .
Oi! We 'aven't even started yet and you're already ordering us around.

But consider it done for my part.

EDIT: Oh, we have already started, my mistake. Forget I said anything.

Last edited by Earniel : 08-18-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:39 PM   #17
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Ahem, hope I'm not too late, this one looks like jolly good fun! I shall be my favorite and best darn all around charactar, Pansy Hogswallop, if I can join up that is considering you already started.

name: Pansy Hogswallop

race: hobbit

appearance: 3'5, golden brown curly hair that is always messy and always in a ponytail. She never wears dresses or anything girly.

personality: she is funny and doesn't hide anything. Extremely friendly and loves to talk.

weapons: one magical frying pan and an attack llama, Cory, who she rides around middle-earth with. He loves carrots, so she always keep extra around.

Pansy adventures around with Cory, mainly in Eridor, though she has been further east as far as laketown.

Okay, I hope that is satisfactory. She'll be in the inn because she stops through Bree often and of course, will butt into your conversation and somehow join your posse.

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #18
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Erm, sounds fine except you'll need your character to be from a 'real' place in middle earth . And the frying pan can't be magical... and no llama .

Other than that you're almost-sort-of-kind-of okay
Old 08-19-2004, 02:00 AM   #19
Aewionen
Elf Lord

Hmm... me been thinking. (Yes, amazing, I know.^^) Would it be okiday if I were to add another character in?
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade

"I feel a slight tingling feeling... I think its affecting me." -Legolas during a drinking contest (EE ROTK)
Aewionen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #20
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Ahem, Frogmorton is too a real place, I have the map! Its not too far away from Hobbiton, just right up the road. And whatt do you mean no magical frying pan or llama? He comes from the south! I don't know if I can RP with no llama. I mean, really, whats the fun if you ain't got a llama? I'm serious. PLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEEEE

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote