Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Elvish Minstrels: music as a battle tactic?

I don't think I've run into this particular theory before, so I figured I might as well pose it to you guys.

More than once, there have been mentions of the powerful natures of the songs that the Eldar sing. The most notable is likely Finrod’s battle against Sauron, as detailed in the Silmarillion., where both used songs of power. Whether or not that was a unique occurrence (and I can’t believe that singers more skilled than Finrod would not have been able to pull it off as well, at least in theory), there is also a comment about Elvish minstrels made in the Appendices referring to Aragorn:

“And suddenly even as he sang he saw a maiden walking on a greensward among the white stems of the birches; and he halted amazed, thinking that he had strayed into a dream, or else that he had received the gift of the Elf-minstrels, who can make the things of which they sing appear before the eyes of those that listen.” (Return of the Ring, Appendix A)

Since Elvish minstrels appear capable of creating illusions at the least (and quite possibly much more than simple phantasms, as we saw with Finrod), I began to wonder what some of them (Maglor in particular, as I am an unrepentant fangirl ) would be like in battle. Would they use simple sword and steel, or incorporate something a bit more... intangible, so to speak?

Nor can it be forgotten that Fingon, when he went off to rescue Maedhros, chose to bring a harp with him, rather than something that traditionally could be considered more useful in a rescue attempt.

Any ideas?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Considering that the whole world is largely based on song, it isn't surprising that song has much power in Middle-earth. While I take it it is a useful skill in a magical battle, I doubt it would have much influence on an ordinary metal and steel battle. Unless maybe to demoralise your opponent, but ordinary songs can be used for that purpose just as well, I think.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Considering that the whole world is largely based on song, it isn't surprising that song has much power in Middle-earth. While I take it it is a useful skill in a magical battle, I doubt it would have much influence on an ordinary metal and steel battle. Unless maybe to demoralise your opponent, but ordinary songs can be used for that purpose just as well, I think.
To follow on that line a bit, the duel of Songs of Power between Sauron and Finrod, and the songs sung by Lúthien at Minis Tirith/Tol-in-Gaurhoth, Thangorodrim, and Mandos might well have their basis in the Ainulindalë. You should also remember the songs sung constantly by Tom Bombadil, some seeming nonsense, but at least one powerful enough to destroy the barrow-wight. These may be strong echoes of the Ainulindalë, while Narn i Hîn Húrin, Lay of Leithian, and so forth, might be much weaker echoes: remember that the Elven minstrels could cause their listeners to see the things of which they sang.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Yes - even my first time through LOTR, the one line from Bombadil's song struck me:

"...None has ever caught him yet, for Tom he is the master:
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster."

This is just as he's breaking into the barrow.

It all fit together much better once I had finally read The Ainulindale.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
Landroval
Elven Warrior

To me, the mother of all songs of Middle-Earth is the one with which Luthien put Morgoth on his knees (literally).

Last edited by Landroval : 08-07-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Would not the Ainulindale be the Mother of all songs of Middle-earth?

Regards,
Joshua

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Would not the Ainulindale be the Mother of all songs of Middle-earth?

Regards,
Joshua
Well, that song was never heard after Ea was created; you can call it though the all-time hit of the Halls of Eru - that is, until the remix at the end of the world comes out...
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote