Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2000, 05:05 AM   #1
Pippin Skywalker

WAR OF THE LITERATI

On this day,the fourteenth of October 2000, I open the contest of the Literati. All peoples,ages,genders,sizes and shapes are welcome to compete. Here are the Rules:

1. The point is to display all the things you have read and win points. Classics and old books score very high,whereas things like horror and mysteries score low.The following amount of points are the worth of the following types of literature:
Classics and old myth 10, Dramas 8, Science Fiction/Fantasy 5 (this does not include Tolkiens works,because they were HIGH quality.This would fall in the classic category. Also for GOOD Science Fiction "type" works like Ray Brabury, H G Wells, and books like Brave New World and 1984 I will make exeption. Things like that would earn you not as high as a classic or drama....you would recieve a 7), Old poems and poets (like the greek poets,Tennyson, Lord Byron, Poe,Dickenson,T.S. Elliot "etc") worth a 9, modern poems and poets 4, Romances 5 (however, Romances early 1900's and before are worth an 8. This I know could get confused with the classics, so if it IS in this category,consult with me and I'll judge accordingly.), Comedy 5, Philosophy 8, History 7, Horror 3, Mystery/Thriller 4.

2. Post the title of the book or play and the genre. Then put the score that that book/play/poem is worth (like Classic 10, Horror 3,). Then add up the total and put it at the end of your post. If you make a SEPERATE list on ANOTHER post do the same thing and total it. That's also where grand totals come in...the total of your last post added to your second post.

3. All books MUST be fiction (with the exeption of Philosophy and History).No books like : Mick Foley's "Way To Make A Man Sorry He Ticked Me Off" or any such foolishness.

4.Be nice and courteous to your fellow contestants.

5. Don't make me have to come to your house with an arrest warrant.

Alright my hearties....let's begin the jollity!

If you have questions...feel free to ask me.

P.S. If you don't like this idea please don't bash it like the folks at the Jedi Council did (yeah I posted it there). If you don't care for it.....ok...but be nice about it One guy said "This is the stupidist idea I've heard of"

Have fun! ......if you can!
Old 10-16-2000, 12:37 PM   #2
GlaurungTheGold

Re: WAR OF THE LITERATI

i'll never be able to remember all those books, but i'll tr in calculus class in a half houf
Old 10-17-2000, 10:59 PM   #3
SarahStar

Whoah, this could get ugly. It's a cool idea, and could be great fun, but there is enormous potential for conflict in the rating system. There's also a huge age bias---older=more time to read=win contest.

Not that I particularly need to be worried about that, as I have way too much work to do to attempt the collossal task of listing everything I have ever read! :lol:
Old 10-19-2000, 12:42 AM   #4
IronParrot

This could get very ugly indeed... so we can do this over multiple posts or edits?

And I'll also assume we all have the integrity not to cheat.
Old 10-19-2000, 01:39 AM   #5
RovingTurtle

Sounds like a good idea It will take some time, I plan on participating and Im sure others will too so dont get discouraged and good idea
Old 10-19-2000, 11:54 AM   #6
Salli Canaliya

While this could work very well, I am at least smart enough to know that I shouldn't participate. There's no way I could even begin to list all the books I read without getting way too obsessive. And I'd argue points all the time. (For example, it doesn't seem fair that the default for mystery is 4, while sci-fi is 5, both should be changeable, and who gets to decide? Such authors as Rex Stout and Agatha Christie should certainly be worth a lot more than 4 points.) See, told you I'd get obsesive.

Not that I won't enjoy watching evryone else participate. I imagine this could be a lot of fun.

(Just not for nit-pickers.)
Old 10-20-2000, 12:07 AM   #7
Pippin Skywalker

Iron Parrot- Yes this CAN be done with multiple post and edits. In fact I never expected people to do otherwise.
Old 11-03-2000, 07:58 AM   #8
Elanor

where is this happening? here? now?
Old 11-03-2000, 11:40 AM   #9
Fat middle

i think it was supposed to take place right here, but peolple haven't made their mind to begin.

Pipsky, if you still want to make this i think you should start with the books you've read.
Old 11-04-2000, 01:48 PM   #10
dunedain lady

Classics and old myth 10, Dramas 8, Science Fiction/Fantasy 5 (this does not include Tolkiens works,because they were HIGH quality.This would fall in the classic category. Also for GOOD Science Fiction "type" works like Ray Brabury, H G Wells, and books like Brave New World and 1984 I will make exeption. Things like that would earn you not as high as a classic or drama....you would recieve a 7), Old poems and poets (like the greek poets,Tennyson, Lord Byron, Poe,Dickenson,T.S. Elliot "etc") worth a 9, modern poems and poets 4, Romances 5 (however, Romances early 1900's and before are worth an 8. This I know could get confused with the classics, so if it IS in this category,consult with me and I'll judge accordingly.), Comedy 5, Philosophy 8, History 7, Horror 3, Mystery/Thriller 4.

All the things I've read...oookaay..this could take a while:
The Lord of the Rings-30 (3 books)
The Hobbit-10
1984-7
Macbeth-8
A Midsummer Night's Dream-8
Romeo and Juliet-8
The Odyssey-10
The Raven-9
Journey to the Center of the Earth-7
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea-7
Stranger in a Strange Land-7
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress-7
The Star Beast-5
Have Space Suit, Will Travel-5
The Dark is Rising Series-17 (3 1/2 books so far)
Moby Dick-10
The Bells-9
The Charge of the Light Brigade-9
The Voyage of the Argo-10
Pern books-50 (10 books, 5 pts each)
The Great Gatsby-10
The Song of Albion-15 (3 bks)

Total: 258 (will add more later)
Old 11-12-2000, 03:55 PM   #11
Grand Admiral Reese

Everything I've read? That could be a little difficult. I'll have to think this over a little. I'll get back to you soon.
Old 11-28-2000, 09:45 PM   #12
GlaurungTheGold

well i just found the list i had made in calculus class, there's about 500 books total on it :rollin:
of course, that includes things like dragonlance, the hardy boys and babysitter's club of which i read over 250 combined, plus many many series where i'm guessing the number of books in them(like the Pern books and agatha christie's books)
i'm a little lazy, but the list might get up eventually
and of course i've probably forgotten a bunch
Old 12-09-2000, 06:57 AM   #13
Elysha

I'll play!

Literature is my passion. Of course, I won't have lived every book on the list -- I didn't care for "Wuthering Heights" -- but oh well. You will grow tired of my list quickly, I fear.

The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit - 40
1984 - 7
6 Jane Austen Books -- Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, & Persuasion - 60
And if anyone tells me any of Jane Austen's books isn't a classic, I can argue about that subject for a long time!
Lorna Doone (by Blackmoore) - 8 (classic or romance?)
Wuthering Heights - 10
Jane Eyre & Villette - 20
Ivanhoe - 10
Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, A Christmas Carol - 30
Kim, The Jungle Book, The Just So Stories - 20
Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, The Taming of the Shrew, Henry V, A Merchant in Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, Twelfth Night, Henry VIII, Romeo and Juliet - 8*10=80
The Grapes of Wrath - 10
The Age of Innocence - 10
The Scarlet Letter & The House of the 7 Gables - 20
Uncle Tom's Cabin - 7
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Prince and the Pauper, A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court - 30
Little Women, An Old-Fashioned Girl, and 3 others - 8*5=40 (romance, right?)
The Good Earth - 10
The Great Gatsby - 10
The Old Man In the Sea - 10
The Call of the Wild - 10
Gone With the Wind - 10
The Yearling - 10 (right?)
The Wonderful O, The Thirteen Clocks, The White Deer, Many Moons - 20 (what does one do with classic whimsy?)
To Kill a Mockingbird - 10
Quo Vadis, by Sienkiewicz - 10
Le Petit Prince, by De Saint-Exupéry, Antoine - 8
The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers - 20
The Phantom of the Opera - 8
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn - 8 (Not sure what this is)
The Approaching Fury, by Oates (history) - 7
Phantastes, At the Back of the North Wind, The Princess and the Goblin, & 7 novels, by George MacDonald - 65
How the Irish Saved Civilization, by Cahill (ibid) - 7
Does religious count as philosophy? This part is hard to tally!
God's Smuggler, For Love of My Brothers, by Brother Andrew - 14 (I'm calling them history; they're really autobiography/religion)
The Cost of Discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer - 8
The Screwtape Letters, Pilgrim's Regress, The Great Divorce - 8
The Space Trilogy, by C. S. Lewis - 24? (decide, O Most Learned Judge!
The Chronicles of Narnia - 42? (ibid!)
A Man Called Peter, Christy, Julie - 21
In His Steps, by Sheldon - 8
Hind's Feet on High Places, Mountains of Spices, by Hurnard - 16
The Robe, Magnificent Obsession, Green Light, White Banners, The Big Fisherman, by Lloyd Douglas - 40
Blood Brothers, by Chacour (hist) - 7
Justice and Only Justice, by Naim Ateek - 8
Madeleine L'Engle - 25 books - 125
L. M. Montgomery - 15 books - 75
Dorothy L. Sayers - 4 books - 16 (these are VERY high quality mysteries -- perhaps you will allow me more than 4 pts each?)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (!!!), 4 books - 32
That's enough for now! ;-P Poetry later.
1069 pts.
Old 12-09-2000, 07:01 AM   #14
Elysha

I'll play!

Literature is my passion. Of course, I won't have liked every book on the list -- I didn't care for "Wuthering Heights" -- but oh well. You will grow tired of my list quickly, I fear.

The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit - 40
1984 - 7
6 Jane Austen Books -- Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey, & Persuasion - 60
And if anyone tells me any of Jane Austen's books isn't a classic, I can argue about that subject for a long time!
Lorna Doone (by Blackmoore) - 8 (classic or romance?)
Wuthering Heights - 10
Jane Eyre & Villette - 20
Ivanhoe - 10
Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, A Christmas Carol - 30
Kim, The Jungle Book, The Just So Stories - 20
Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, The Taming of the Shrew, Henry V, A Merchant in Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, Twelfth Night, Henry VIII, Romeo and Juliet - 8*10=80
The Grapes of Wrath - 10
The Age of Innocence - 10
The Scarlet Letter & The House of the 7 Gables - 20
Uncle Tom's Cabin - 7
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Prince and the Pauper, A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court - 30
Little Women, An Old-Fashioned Girl, and 3 others - 8*5=40 (romance, right?)
The Good Earth - 10
The Great Gatsby - 10
The Old Man In the Sea - 10
The Call of the Wild - 10
Gone With the Wind - 10
The Yearling - 10 (right?)
The Wonderful O, The Thirteen Clocks, The White Deer, Many Moons - 20 (what does one do with classic whimsy?)
To Kill a Mockingbird - 10
Quo Vadis, by Sienkiewicz - 10
Le Petit Prince, by De Saint-Exupéry, Antoine - 8
The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers - 20
The Phantom of the Opera - 8
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn - 8 (Not sure what this is)
The Approaching Fury, by Oates (history) - 7
Phantastes, At the Back of the North Wind, The Princess and the Goblin, & 7 novels, by George MacDonald - 65
How the Irish Saved Civilization, by Cahill (ibid) - 7
Does religious count as philosophy? This part is hard to tally!
God's Smuggler, For Love of My Brothers, by Brother Andrew - 14 (I'm calling them history; they're really autobiography/religion)
The Cost of Discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer - 8
The Screwtape Letters, Pilgrim's Regress, The Great Divorce - 8
The Space Trilogy, by C. S. Lewis - 24? (decide, O Most Learned Judge!
The Chronicles of Narnia - 42? (ibid!)
A Man Called Peter, Christy, Julie - 21
In His Steps, by Sheldon - 8
Hind's Feet on High Places, Mountains of Spices, by Hurnard - 16
The Robe, Magnificent Obsession, Green Light, White Banners, The Big Fisherman, by Lloyd Douglas - 40
Blood Brothers, by Chacour (hist) - 7
Justice and Only Justice, by Naim Ateek - 8
Madeleine L'Engle - 25 books - 125
L. M. Montgomery - 15 books - 75
Dorothy L. Sayers - 4 books - 16 (these are VERY high quality mysteries -- perhaps you will allow me more than 4 pts each?)
The Scarlet Pimpernel (!!!), 4 books - 32
That's enough for now! ;-P Poetry later.
1069 pts.