Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2000, 01:57 AM   #1
Elanor

Les Miserables

Ok, who's read Les Miserables? This is definitely my favorite novel. It's by Victor Hugo, a French novelist who lived in the 19th century, after the Revolution. If you haven't read it, you should. Hugo is a genius, and his stories are amazing, especially this one. He also wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame. You may have seen a movie of the story or been to the musical (I haven't seen this yet, but I plan to go soon). Anyway, none of those is ever going to come close to the greatness of the book itself. It's very long, so it might take you a while, but definitely worth it. Several years ago, my dad told me part of the story, so I read the abridged version. This is about 1/3 to 1/2 as long as the unabridged, and it keeps you interested in the story so you get through it easily. The story itself is truly amazing. I read this about 5 times, and loved it more every reading. Finally, I got the unabridged version and have been reading that for quite a while. I love this even more! I'm reading the new paperback edition (I'm not sure what abridgement I read before), and I have been so impressed by the depth of the characters and descriptions that were taken out of the abridged.

I would definitely recommend reading the abridged version first, because it would be pretty hard to get through the whole thing. The author was a very intelligent person, and knew a lot about many different subjects, including religion, politics, sewage disposal (! I'm serious, he goes on about sewage disposal for about a chapter...well, definitely too long!), etc. But it's all wonderful and very insightful. Anyway, it's been great to read all that more complex and descriptive stuff, but it would bog down the story if you were reading it for the first time.

I recently saw The Fugitive--you know, with Harrison Ford and all. I really liked it, and was amazed at how much it resembles the story (at least many of the general themes) of Les Miserables. The whole "noble convict" thing, with the obsessed law officer... and I thought the sewer scene was very reminiscent of this book. Of course Les Mis is a lot more in depth! With Fantine's story, Marius and Cosette, etc. And it tells Jean Valjean's entire life!

Anyway, those of you who have read this book should tell me what you thought. And those of you who haven't...

READ IT!
Old 10-12-2000, 06:43 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: Les Miserables

I've seen the musical of Les Mis and the movie of Hunchback, but not the books. I saw them at a library once; they're huge! If I did read them, I'm sure I wouldn't have any time until the summer
Old 10-12-2000, 07:08 PM   #3
Elbreth of Carhouth

I've not read the book, seen the movie, or seen the musical, but despite all this, it's one of my all time favorites. I agree that it's very indepth, and descriptive. We have a movie of only the singing, no acting, but the actors (the originals) were in costume, and though they stood at a microphone, still seemed like they were acting. Very well done.
I've got a number of favorite songs from there, and I love Jean Valjean's character.
Old 10-15-2000, 03:18 AM   #4
Pippin Skywalker

Well...I started reading the novel of Les Miserables when I was 14. I'm 15 now and still have ways to go.....but it is brilliant! Hugo IS a great novelist. His language is expressive and thought provoking.
I've seen the musical between 8-10 times....I have two different soundtracks.....and my favorite chracter is Eponine! I also saw the film version with Liam Neeson.
As far as Hunchback...I do plan to read it some point....and I HAVE seen the animated film (which was good ).

"Look Down, and show some mercy is you can!!"
Old 10-17-2000, 10:55 PM   #5
SarahStar

Ooh, did you see the most recent movie version? I thought it was just criminal that Eponine was excised from the plot, but no one else I talked to seemed to care.
Old 10-18-2000, 05:23 AM   #6
Pippin Skywalker

It was TERRIBLE! She was SO crucial!
eponine was the one ofthe Greatest chracters in the story
Old 10-18-2000, 12:03 PM   #7
SarahStar

It makes me feel so much better just to see you say that.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:04 PM   #8
Salli Canaliya

Now, Sarah. You knew that I agreed with you.
Old 10-20-2000, 01:19 AM   #9
Xivigg

I almost play in a "piece de theatre" (sorry but i don't know how to write my mind) about the miserable
i put much effort before i had to give up because of work
Old 10-28-2000, 05:01 AM   #10
Elanor

Quote:
I don't know how to write my mind
I love that! I feel that way all the time, even in my native language.
Old 10-30-2000, 10:08 AM   #11
emilsson

I have seen a movie version, probably the most recent one. I'd like to read the book just to see how much was included/excluded. Also, I guess I should read it because it is such a classic and I like classics.
Old 11-18-2000, 05:04 PM   #12
HerenIstarion

Re: pas les miserables seulement

in "Notre dame de Paris" VH's archtectural excurses are a bit boring (for me ), as for "les miserables", it's great indeed. (and the french movie of some 40 years ago with Jean Gabin as valjean is best I know of)
still, my favorite is "1793"