Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Why Pippin says 'gollum, gollum' to Grishnakh

This question arises fromthe chapter The Urukhai, out of The Two Towers. I have always wondered about it, and it occurred to me the other day to mention it in the Teacup Cafe - and then stuff happened, and I didn't get a chance to make this thread until now. I had some of you ask me to make the thread, so I guess I'm not the only one around here who has wondered about this!

FOCUS: How is it that Pippin knows to say "gollum, gollum," when he & Merry are being held captive by Grishnakh and Orcish company? Grishnakh gets pissed at Pippin, and he says to them, "Have you got it -either of you?" presumably, of course, Grishnahk was referring to the One Ring, and Pippin gets it in his head to mumble "gollum, gollum," followed by 'Nothing, my precious.' I swear I never remembered those two hobbits ever having been exposed to Smeagol/Gollum before, aside from hearing stories from Bilbo, so how would Pip even know that that was Smeagol/Gollum's weird Ring-having/wanting catchphrase?

OH! And why would Pippin even WANT to tease Grishnakh in the first place. How did Pip even know to say things in the manner of Smeagol, and why would he even want to push Grishnakh's buttons, anyway? Was it something eLSE making him say that? Some weird thought-force from a certain Maia, or - or something?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

And HERE the thread is!

As for how he knows it, I think peeking into the Red Book plus Sam's account of the Council.

But why it came to his mind? I don't know. It was a dangerous game to play. They couldn't know how Grishnakh would react... *ponders*
Old 03-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

BUT - does the Red Book even mention the 'gollum' noise in the throat that Gollum liked to do?

Old 03-11-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I'm not sure that the Red Book would have told Pippin much of the truth anyway. Remember Bilbo's words at the Council.
"I will now tell you all the truth. Not what I wrote in my book or told others." Or something along those lines.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

True; he didn't write the truth in his book...

But I can imagine that Pip and Merry didn't leave Sam alone until he told everything he had heard at the Council...
Old 03-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Lotesse is right, it does seem curious. Of course, Bilbo might have told his story over and over again to everyone in the Shire, including young Pip, but still it is not like personal experience.

And how could Pippin know that Grishnakh had ever met Gollum and would recognise the "gollum" thing?

Last edited by Gordis : 03-11-2006 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Grishnakh, not Ugluk, silly me.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Farimir Captain of Gondor
Spaceman Spiff

Location: In the belly of a Firefly, living in Serenity is where you'll find me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Lotesse is right, it does seem curious. Of course, Bilbo might have told his story over and over again to everyone in the Shire, including young Pip, but still it is not like personal experience.

And how could Pippin know that Ugluk had ever met Gollum and would recognise the "gollum" thing?
I agree, he probably picked it up from Bilbo's stories and I'm sure Bilbo did the "Gollum voice" once or twice. Also, littleadanel has a point about Pip and Merry getting everything they could out of Sam.

You think maybe Pip was hoping that by doing the "gollum, gollum" Ugluk would think he grabbed Gollum by mistake and let them go? They were ordered to grab the hobbits right? Wouldn't do them any good to deliver Gollum when it was the hobbits that were wanted.

Last edited by Farimir Captain of Gondor : 03-11-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Farimir Captain of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
You think maybe Pip was hoping that by doing the "gollum, gollum" Ugluk would think he grabbed Gollum by mistake and let them go? They were ordered to grab the hobbits right? Wouldn't do them any good to deliver Gollum when it was the hobbits that were wanted.
Gollum? Gollum was "wanted" in Mordor ever since Gandalf was seen going to Thranduil, where the little sneaker had been held captive. Sauron sent orcs to recapture Gollum in summer, and later, when he evaded both the Elves and orcs, even the nazgul were looking for him.All this is described in the Unfinished Tales. No, Gollum would have been a prize catch!
Old 03-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Gollum? Gollum was "wanted" in Mordor ever since Gandalf was seen going to Thranduil, where the little sneaker had been held captive. Sauron sent orcs to recapture Gollum in summer, and later, when he evaded both the Elves and orcs, even the nazgul were looking for him.All this is described in the Unfinished Tales. No, Gollum would have been a prize catch!

Oh, I haven't read the Unfinished Tales . My impression was that they were after the hobbits.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
Elfy
Sapling

Gollum Re: Why Pippin says 'gollum, gollum' to Grishnakh

Yeah, that could have been it, OR it could have been supposed to mean 'gollum, gollum' referring to the previous owner of the ring. I dunno, I guess he could've meant either, though Gollum was originally a hobbit possibly, although Grishnakh wouldn't have known that. Now I'm confused...
Elfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor
Oh, I haven't read the Unfinished Tales . My impression was that they were after the hobbits.
Sure they were, especially hobbits wih rings.

But had they come upon Gollum, they would have dragged him to Mordor at all costs. (By the way, it would mean the failure of the Quest!)
Old 03-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #12
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
(By the way, it would mean the failure of the Quest!)

Yes it would.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #13
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

How did Pippin know, I don't know, I think the speculations about Bilbo's story telling is a good one.

As far as the why, I have always thought the following: Pipplin knew that Grishnakh wanted them dead. He also knew that the only thing that had kept them alive so far was that Grishnakh thought of the ring. Pippin was seeing that Grishnakh was giving in to his desire to kill right away, so he did something that Pippin was hoping would make the thought of the ring more conspicuous on Grishnakh's mind.
For this explanation to work we have to assume that (i) Pippin knew that the throathy noise and the use of the expression "my precious" knew that they were conncted with the possession of the ring and that (ii) Grishnakh knew that two.
I'd see assumption (ii) is the least likely.
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
How is it that Pippin knows to say "gollum, gollum," when he & Merry are being held captive by Grishnakh and Orcish company? Grishnakh gets pissed at Pippin, and he says to them, "Have you got it -either of you?" presumably, of course, Grishnahk was referring to the One Ring, and Pippin gets it in his head to mumble "gollum, gollum," followed by 'Nothing, my precious.' I swear I never remembered those two hobbits ever having been exposed to Smeagol/Gollum before, aside from hearing stories from Bilbo, so how would Pip even know that that was Smeagol/Gollum's weird Ring-having/wanting catchphrase?
Wasn't all this discussed in, at a minimum, Frodo's presence at Elrond's council? Hardly seems like a stretch to me that therefore these two other members of the Fellowship - Frodo's kin and friends - would have learned it as well.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #15
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
For this explanation to work we have to assume that (i) Pippin knew that the throathy noise and the use of the expression "my precious" knew that they were conncted with the possession of the ring and that (ii) Grishnakh knew that two.
I'd see assumption (ii) is the least likely.
I agree. There are easy explanations for (i), but not for (ii). Perhaps it was only a wild gamble?
Old 03-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

This is definitely curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
True; he didn't write the truth in his book...

But I can imagine that Pip and Merry didn't leave Sam alone until he told everything he had heard at the Council...
But Merry and Pippin spied on Bilbo for some time - that's how they found out about the Ring. Maybe they overheard Bilbo telling Frodo the true account of how he got the Ring.

Didn't Frodo know about that?

As to how he thought of it, I guess clever old Pippin was inspired.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
I agree. There are easy explanations for (i), but not for (ii). Perhaps it was only a wild gamble?
This is probably the most likely explanation. Pippin thought he was going to die. He might aswell try whatever has a chance of working.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #18
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

The thing is, none of this explains how Pippin would have the innate, very specific understanding of how to say 'gollum, gollum' and to act just like Gollum. I don't believe the Red Book mentions all these details, and I also don't believe that Bilbo or Frodo ever went into such intimate detail with Pip & Merry before about it - I mean if they had done, wouldn't Tolkien have given us readers some idea that this had taken place, so we wouldn't be thinking it's odd - like I do right now - that Pippin has the ability to channel Gollum?

Old 03-13-2006, 02:30 AM   #19
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
The thing is, none of this explains how Pippin would have the innate, very specific understanding of how to say 'gollum, gollum' and to act just like Gollum. I don't believe the Red Book mentions all these details, and I also don't believe that Bilbo or Frodo ever went into such intimate detail with Pip & Merry before about it - I mean if they had done, wouldn't Tolkien have given us readers some idea that this had taken place, so we wouldn't be thinking it's odd - like I do right now - that Pippin has the ability to channel Gollum?
Just to throw my .02 in:

First, I don't think Pippin is "channeling Gollum. First, as to how he found out, while we are not specifically told, if you reread the first page or so of FoTR: The Ring Goes South, you'll find that Frodo, Bilbo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Gandalf are all talking about the upcoming journey: Biblo and Gandalf both say things that we the reader know because we've just read about them, but Merry and Pippin do not, unless we assume that between the end of the council and this conversation they were brought up to speed on the details....as seems to be since they know the purpose of the journey and that Frodo and Sam are going and not going alone. So we're left to read that filling in of the details into the story, but I think its quite clear from that conversation that Merry and Pippin are fully in the know.

In the circumstances in which Pippin finds himself with Grishnakh then, he made a wild leap at something. If the above is true, then they know that Gollum was set free by orcs. In the chapter The Great River remember that Sam sees Gollum, as do Frodo and Aragorn, and unless we suppose that they kept this information from their companions (unlikely since Aragorn wanted to try to push faster the next day to lose him, he would have had to say something about why.) So they know who Gollum is, that he is so-called for the gollum sound he makes, know he long possessed the Ring, and know that he on their tail, or was until Parth Galen.

Now it is obvious that Grishnakh has orders to search hobbits for a ring, or rings. He asks them "Do either of you have it!!" So if he knows the ring it is likely he also knows about Gollum. All Pippin has to do is make a noise that sounds enough like gollum gollum for Grishnakh to understand what he's on about. QED.

FB
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #20
Olmer
Elf Lord

Very reasonable expanation!
Still, for me, such teasing of Grishnakh without a slightest idea how he will react, was a childish, careless play with fire.
But , then again, Pippin never strikes as a hobbit with too much rationality.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote