Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2000, 12:09 AM   #1
M L Crewe

The Oscars... and fantasy movies...

Anyone watch 'em? Did you approve of you won? Did you think anyone was left out?

I was happy American Beauty did so well... That was a great movie.

And while we're on the topic... who else thinks there's an extreme shortage of good fantasy movies these days? Ah, for the days of Willow and The Princess Bride...

mlc
Old 03-29-2000, 02:06 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: The Oscars... and fantasy movies...

Welcome to the board

I was disappointed that The Phantom Menace lost all the tech awards to the Matrix. Actually, I was disappointed that the jealous Hollywood types blocked TPM from the major awards, like best picture. They didn't even get nominated for best costume! Look at Amidala's dresses and tell me that's not a best-costume winner!

Hopefully the shortage of fantasy films will come to an end with the release of Fellowship of the Ring next year .
Old 03-29-2000, 10:10 PM   #3
Darth Tater

I dissaprove of the academy in general. I think they're a bunch of Hollywood snobs kissing up to each other and voting for the big studios. I go more in depth about this at the SC, but it would not be appropriate for Entmoot
Old 04-02-2000, 12:58 PM   #4
juntel

Hmmm I almost agree with Tater.
There have been exceptions though.
Like the long time it took Spielberg to win a major oscar.
And "Tender Mercies" winning best picture a few years ago
(what movie is that? Hehe, look it up. You'll be surprised)
Old 04-05-2000, 04:43 PM   #5
TheRobRoy

The Golden Globes are a better list of deserved wins, since the Academy is based on, well, everyone in the industry, not necessarily the people you want voting on best of anything (example: they gave John Wayne his oscar for True Grit, and he had much better roles for them to give him in years previous, but because he was ill and rumor was he would die, they gave him the award).

However, TPM was not that great of a movie. It was long-awaited, well hyped, and relied far to heavily on f/x to get through and not enough dialogue and character building, which is what made the first three so much fun. We cared about the characters and wanted to see more of them. Without exception, most audiences were vastly disappointed. The exceptional money at the box office came from repeat watchers, not new watchers, which is why Titanic did so well too.