Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2000, 10:06 PM   #1
IronParrot

U-571 (2000)

Originally posted by me at <a href=http://pub4.ezboard.com/bnicktheshadow>my messageboard</a>:
Quote:
PROS

This film is an edge-of-your-seat, thrilling experience throughout. It is constantly suspenseful and absolutely unpredictable (with the exception of one or two moments). When the crew is danger of being blown into bits, you feel for them. While this film is never by definition "scary", it is certainly "thrilling".

The production values are terrific. Every detail is covered right from the beginning. Decor, costumes, and even a very '40s-esque look at the beginning. The effects are blended in very well. They aren't the most spectacular thing in the world, but the important thing is that none of them look fake. And most of all, there's this film's flagship contribution to the movie industry - some of the most brilliant sound FX I have heard, ever. You hear what they (the characters) hear. You can feel the depth charges being detonated closer and closer, awaiting the inevitable moment when the sub gets hit. You literally wait for the theatre to explode, as the blasts incrementally increase in volume and as such, artificial proximity.

The plot, based around real missions involving the capture of components essential to cracking the Enigma during the Second World War (all credited at the end of the film), is wonderfully constructed. The characters, although bordering on stereotypical, show a great deal of maturity and change throughout the story. The script is not brilliant or particularly witty, but it acknowledges itself as a very technical screenplay from the start, and does not deviate from that mould. The style stays consistent - there aren't any moments that are overly comical or dramatic that stick out like a sore thumb, as is the case with many other films of this sort.

CONS

The dialogue involves a few clichéd lines that are pretty easy to pick out. There are also one or two rather familiar "fixed it in the nick of time" situations, if you get my meaning. Also, if you're the type of person who wants a film with heart, this is probably not the place to look for it - this film's meaning is along the lines of courage and bravery, not emotion. This is not to say the film does not have its share of emotional moments; it is to say that the thematic inclination is towards a different ilk.

OVERALL

This film is anything but underwater. It is great entertainment, and at the same time does not sacrifice quality for marketability. I certainly enjoyed it, and thinking about it in detail did not spoil my fun. Additionally, if you at all plan to see this film, don't wait for the video unless you have a world-class sound system at home.