Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2000, 05:32 PM   #21
anduin

Re: Speaking of the matrix...

Oh, I wasn't necessarily adding to the Matrix discussion....more likely just gabbing.
Old 04-26-2000, 10:58 PM   #22
IronParrot

The virtual reality-in-virtual reality thing has been overdone, and not only in Star Trek (although it's been done in three of the four Star Trek series). It's been done countless times in lots of other TV shows too. Even Red Dwarf did a take on it, twice.

Overdone. Way overdone. I don't want Neo to be "still in the Matrix".
Old 04-26-2000, 11:38 PM   #23
juntel

...or the play-in-the-play in Hamlet.
Old 04-27-2000, 12:31 AM   #24
mRoWrY

Whoever explained the peak of human civilization, thank you. Here is my own:

The Agent Smith himself stated that the peak of human civilization was recreated, and in the year 1999. (I saw this part twice; that's why I remembered it. Remember when they hooked Morpheus to that machine in an effort to obtain some sort of Zion secret that I still don't understand?) What they mean by "peak," in the machines' opinion, is that this is when humans ruled the world: the humans had power over machines, who/which were not yet developed or debugged, in a programming sense. (Not in the way that Neo had that scorpion look-alike thing in his system... that was just weird.) AFTER any problems in the machines were fixed, the so-called "great war" occurred. Now, I don't know about that thing with Neo's age (by the way, I hear Keanu Reeves is 36. I knew he was old; everyone thought he looked 20-something).

Ok, let me think about that for a moment... if that's possible...

This is the partly plausible explanation I have come up with: we have all been speculating possible tangents for time in the matrix to deviate if it was to be let alone. However, we know that it is highly unlikely that this would occur because the machines would probably monitor the matrix strictly and, once the time in the matrix progressed to right before the "great war" (here I'm making things up again), possibly program the matrix back to be in year 1999 once more. And because the people are not actually experiencing this but only having their nervous system manipulated, I would agree with bmilder's 2nd choice: he has only been programmed to think he was born in 1974 (or actually since he's 36, 1963.) The machines have the power and capability to implant into a human mind an artificial history and memory, so this idea isn't as absurd as it sounds.

But as for the "garbage" music; I'll have to agree with Ben.