Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2003, 01:32 PM   #1
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

anyone dislike the movies

i didnt enjoy the movies as muchas i thought i would.i thought the only actors who resembled their characters in the book was hagrid, ron and hermione. the movie just didnt do it for me
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:14 PM   #2
Opan
Enting

u know what i kond of agree
the forst one wasnt too ad i quite enjoyed it...infact i liked it lol
But the second just DIDNT do the book justice in my opinion....but what film could...the books are BRIlL
Opan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

the movies were ok. Ther acting by the kids Daniel Radcliff wasnt that great (i know i am gonna get killed for that), the kid who played Ron was the best of the 3 kids, and the girl that played Hermione was in between the 2

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:08 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I didn't have a problem with the characters in terms of their resemblances - appearance-wise, the movies were great (especially the design of Hogwarts' interior). I do have a problem with how the overall cinematic tone of the films have been so far, though. The first one in particular, while it got many things "right", had some serious issues in terms of photography (too lifeless and un-Rowling-like in directorial style) and editing (tried to keep so many things in the book, the edits were very choppy).

The second was a vast improvement, especially commendable considering that I think of CoS as the weakest of the books. Having Roger Pratt on board was a good move, since he did a lot of work with Terry Gilliam (my dream director for Potter, but no way would he have time to do so many films).

I want to see what Alfonso Cuaron does in the director's chair of the next one. It has the potential to be the best Potter film yet by far (it's based on what I think of as the best book, anyhow). Chris Columbus is good at directing kids, but the actors aren't just kids anymore, and Columbus never really had a great touch for the cinematic language (Home Alone, Stepmom, Bicentennial Man? ugh) - Chamber of Secrets was actually the best film of his career. But Cuaron... I have high hopes for him.

But damn, if only Gilliam worked on these babies.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:28 AM   #5
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

The first movie wasn't good. I guess it's becuase it was too short - the producers cut off many good parts. The actors were fine. I especially didn't like Dumbledore in that movie. He looked too serious (sp?).

The Chamber of Secrets was much better, because it was longer - or becuase the producers cut off less parts thent he first. But I hated Ron in it. He over reacted, and looked silly all over the movie. Hermione and Snape were better.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

The movies are ok, I suppose. They didn't really portray things as they where in the books. Snape was great, and so was Hagrid. I agree that they cut to much of it out of the movies though (and i was disapointed with the disapperence of Peeves).
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:25 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

The first movie didn't hold together. Absolutely no explanation for why five students are out of bed in the middle of the night.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:57 PM   #8
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I didn't like the movies that well. I still prefer the books.

Hopefully, with the new director film 3 will do the books some justice. They better NOT mess up the third one. That's my favorite, that is.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:21 PM   #9
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

They already messed up my favourite, the second one. None of the kids can act and they've messed around with the storyline. Rubbish, and the first one too!
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:34 AM   #10
Sween
im quite stupid

when thinking of the films have to rember they are not like most films they dont stick to the usual peramiters of film making. How can i put it? they are Cinimatic renditions of the books! A lot of the stuff that happens in the films is there beacuse if it wasnt the fans would have a fit!

i agree that it will be very intresting what the new guy does i dont know of any of his work so good luck to him!

Its probably the most fil m based plots of all the books maybe CoS more so but this is a better book!

I like all the actors in the films i have to admit. Harry has a very though challenge over the next few films beacuse his character does undergo a serious change and is quite complex.

Just as a side note allthough the films have effected the book in some ways (Lee Jordans apperence been exctally stipulated to be the same as in the movies and Angelinas hair also mentioned) JK hasnt gone and made it easier for WB by m,aking the book movie friendly if you know what i mean the 4th and 5th book are gonna be very difficult to film
Old 07-16-2003, 09:58 PM   #11
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

If I were J.K. Rowling, I wouldn't want anyone making any movies until all of the books were out. I might start describing.. for example Hermione as Emma Watson, not Hermione.

I mean, now when I think of 'Harry', or 'Ron', it's a totally different picture than it used to be, before the movies were out.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:01 PM   #12
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i do that with lord of the rings. i think of all the actors as the characters which bugs me but with HP that doesnt happen. its probably because i dont like the movies
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:30 PM   #13
Elf Girl
Lurker

It really annoys me that in Book 5 you can see the 'imprint' of the movie on it. For instance, Hagrid's voice is written closer to way the movie Hagrid talks than to the way he spoke in previous books.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:47 PM   #14
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
I thought Ron and hermione and Harry where AWFUL! Hagrid was goodm that was it. I hate the movies.

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:30 AM   #15
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I didn't think the movies were very good. I mean, I enjoyed seeing them the first time when they came out, on opening day, just 'cause that's fun, but I thought the overall they were rather poor films. The way Colombus makes them they just don't work--he's sticking so close to the books that he isn't really making them as movies, just visuals of the books. They haven't done a decent job of making them movies--they're working with a very different medium! Also, so far they've seemed a bit too light and fluffy. I'm looking forward to the next one as it sounds like it'll be much darker, not to mention it's a better director.

However, from some stills I've seen so far, it's looking like the costumes and blocking get a little...squicky. Very muggle, and very...I dunno how to describe it, but not at all what I think those characters would really wear. I mean, Hermione with a rainbow belt?

That's another thing. THey've ruined Hermione. And am now too tired to back up statement. *splat*

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:37 AM   #16
Laurelindórenan
Hobbit

Re: anyone dislike the movies

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
i thought the only actors who resembled their characters in the book was hagrid, ron and hermione. the movie just didnt do it for me
The one I really didn't like was Dumbledore. Nothing against Richard Harris, but he just didn't portray Dumbledore the way I pictured him in my mind.

The second one was definitely better than the first though.

We all took an evilness test. WiKi was in the 99.7 to 99.8 percentile range. Seven of the rest of us got in the 99.0 to 99.6 range. Our 9th member, Bob, hasn't been able to overcome his love of kittens. He only got a 88.2. We're hoping to get him replaced.

- Ask the Characters, stupidring.com

I'm BB's daughter.
Laurelindórenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:09 PM   #17
Elf Girl
Lurker

I read somewhere that Dumbledore is 'an old hippie' in the next movie, and that Alfonso whats-his-name the new director is making them wear Muggle clothes.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:57 AM   #18
Einalem
Hobbit

I don't like the movies much. When I read OotP the Movie disapeared and it was my images again. After seeing CoS I realised how much I don't like The book, it's ok but in my oppinion it is the worst, I bet The next( my fav ) movie will probably totaly rock because of the Director, then again HIPPIE???? I hope not!
Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Allir menn eru sem tunglith,
Their eiga hlith sem enginn sér.~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-the first casualties of war are truth and Music-
Einalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 12:13 PM   #19
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I have never liked the movies much. Too much of the story is warped or cut, and the most of the cast cannot act at all. Agreed: Hagrid was good. But most of the others aren't.

Also, I'm predicting some major plot and storyline twists for the movies. That won't help. . I actually liked the books, but I can easily say that the movies have lessened my respect for the books and author.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #20
Einalem
Hobbit

After watching this interview with J.K. and Columbus(spl?) on the DVD I lost all respect for her.... I thought she was so cool, to have been able to write Harry Potter and all, then My hopes were dashed and I found out she was not cool at all

BUT I still like the books
Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Allir menn eru sem tunglith,
Their eiga hlith sem enginn sér.~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~