Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Landroval
Elven Warrior

Book VI, ch. IV & V: The Field of Cormallen; The Steward and the King

The Field of Cormallen

The chapter begins shortly after the destruction of the ring occurs. Tolkien uses again, to great effect, the changing of perspective, the story being related now from the point of view of the armies of the west.
Gandalf signals the arrival of the eagles and goes with three of them to the rescue of Sam and Frodo from the Crack of Doom. Afterwards, follows the reunification of the fellowship, the recounting of tales and the honoring of the ringbearers.

I was most impressed by several parts of this chapter. Aragorn’s description at the beginning is very powerful, “his eyes gleamed like stars that shine the brighter as the night deepens”; the way Gandalf calls on the captains of the west to “stand still” has a somewhat biblical ring to it. It is also interesting to note how the situation changes for Sam and Frodo, from “falling, worn out, or choked with fumes and heat, or stricken down by despair at last, hiding their eyes from death” to waking up in the mirrific land of Ithilien. To be noted is also Frodos’ reluctance to wear any weapon (altough in letter #195 Tolkien points out that the hero is not a “pacifist” in modern terms).

The way the hobbits are treated is really impressive, from the cheers of the knights, to the song of the ministrel (thus fulfilling Sam’s dream) or to the honoring of Gandalf (as if he was their esquire) and of Aragorn:” And then to Sam's surprise and utter confusion, Aragorn bowed his knee before them; and taking them by the hand, Frodo upon his right and Sam upon his left, he led them to the throne, and setting them upon it, he turned to the men and captains who stood by and spoke, so that his voice rang over all the host, crying: 'Praise them with great praise!'”.

I must say that my most favorite part concerns Sam’s reaction to seeing Gandalf, after waking up: 'Gandalf! I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself. Is everything sad going to come untrue?”

Questions:
1. How do you think Gandalf perceived the arrival of the eagles? Did Manwe send him the vision?

In letter #89, Tolkien states that "I knew I had written a story of worth in 'The Hobbit' when reading it (after it was old enough to be detached from me) I had suddenly in a fairly strong measure the 'eucatastrophic' emotion at Bilbo's exclamation: "The Eagles! The Eagles are coming !'". Was the arrival of the eagles a mirror of the Hobbit? Did Tolkien feel the same about eagles here too?

3. Could the host of the eagles have defeated the nazguls? What was the mandate of the eagles in the fourth age?

4. Does it seem like Sam is getting the “upper hand” in relation with Frodo? He convinces him, for example, to walk away from the Crack of Doom, or to keep the Sting for himself.

5. Why is Sam more hopeful than Frodo? Is it due only to his loyalty?

6. Does the song of the ministrel remind you about the songs of the valor of the noldor?

7. Why did Gandalf say to Gwaihir that he only saved him twice? Who saved Gandalf in the Hobbit?
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote