Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Well it IS Denethor's task to protect Gondor and Rohan, his allies. It is NOT his task to protect Lorien or Imladris or the Shire, though he does it indirectly, drawing most of Mordor's force to himself.
Um... I never said that was his task? Wouldn't have expected him to either. The Shire was virtually unknown territory and Lothlorien had taken on more the proportion of a myth than reality.

But yes, in my opinion Boromir indeed came to Imladris for council and advise, not for troops or weapons, as the quote you gave seem to indicate as well. In hind sight it might be considered somewhat of a risk to send Boromir, the Captain of the White Tower half across the continent for the answer on a riddle but perhaps that shows how much importance the people of Gondor gave to this sort of vision and prophecy. Maybe how much of their hope they had invested in these words.

I suppose it would stand to reason that in these dark times military aid was sought. But since it is far from clear from the text that Boromir came to ask that of the Elves (my memory can fool me, so please, feel free to correct me with quotes on this), I'm going to assume it didn't happen. I personally dislike making big assumptions about things that are not mentioned. I like my stories simple and straigh forward. What's it called? Face-value?

But I suppose my statement about Denethor's pride costing him allies is perhaps moot already. Regardless of the fact Gondor at this point only had a military ally in Rohan, there wasn't much help to receive from elsewhere anyway. Everyone was at risk of being attacked. Even Denethor's own Gondorean lords sent what men they could spare to Minas Tirith, but no more. If we take the appendices into account where it is mentioned that Lothorien, Erebor and others were also attacked in the same time frame as Minas Tirith, it would istand to reason.