Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

I hope Gondors sunny

Now this will probably sound a bit silly and pointless but when Gandalf and Pippin arive in Gondor it should look really warm and sunny i didnt like the way Gondor was in the last movie all grey and depressing intionally we should see it in its full beauty etc. In otherwise if they aint needing factor 30 im gonna be in a bad mood
Old 05-31-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
straight_face
Enting

Keep in mind that Gondor is about to go through a series of wars, so it's not experiencing quite the golden age exactly.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 01:42 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, remember that it is supposed to be very dark, getting gradually darker, and then we have the dawnless day.
BUT after the ring is destroyed, for the coronation/ wedding/ however PJ does it, Gondor should be then shown in all its glory!

On the other hand, if we are treated to some of Pippin's wanderings in the city, I think the beauty of the city should be highlighted somehow. But I doubt there will be time for that; however, we SHOULD get to see Pippin and Denethor's scenes (please please please). Confusticate you for starting this thread! Now once again I'm all anxious to see the movie!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

...and I'm all anxious not to.

Anyway, I agree, Gondor should somehow look beautiful, but darkening. A shadow over it.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:47 AM   #5
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Gondor should somehow look beautiful, but darkening. A shadow over it.
I totally agree, that's exactly how I hope it is too.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:12 AM   #6
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i hope the city is bright but sort of there is some dark cloud just resting over the city making it gloomy
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Gondor was going through rough times in the book. PJ's going to screw that up and have the war ending 'earlier' just to extend Arwen/Aragorn's wedding time.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:03 AM   #8
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

I think it should be really bright and beautiful but when you look at the peoples faces they are all dark and anxious. I can't wait to see Gondor! I can't wait to see any of it!

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:38 PM   #9
straight_face
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by durin's bane
PJ's going to screw that up and have the war ending 'earlier' just to extend Arwen/Aragorn's wedding time.
You're joking, right?
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 04:41 PM   #10
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Golden and full of grandeur in the opening scenes, and then the camera begins to zoom in from a great distance and you begin to see signs of wear and tear. Then, as you move nearer and nearer you see signs of war on the horizon (the time horizon, not the geographic horizon) with grim, haunted faces, worried people.

Can't wait!
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 10:02 PM   #11
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

i think Gondor should sunny even there are dark times ahead. deppressing movies deppress me. and i really dont need to be any more deppressed then i already am.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 09:41 AM   #12
Sween
im quite stupid

I just have this image of Gandalf and comming down from the mouthinas and seeing the tower of the guard in the clouds and decending and the white city been all white and clean and lovely and Aunduin glistening in the distance then when the cloud comes in it will be better!

Also in the Two towers i found i didnt really care aout Gondor dunno why just didnt if its beautiful i will care fort it more
Old 06-10-2003, 08:16 AM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I wish they would just have the footage colored realistically, plain and simple, instead of the heavy handed digitally remixed (?) "color psychosis" that was done. Council of Elrond was way too yellow, and Rivendell in TTT seems way too blue. The monochromatic coloration messes with my mind and eye!
Old 06-10-2003, 02:13 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

Me, too! And when I watch it on dvd, I keep fiddling with the color on my tv because I can't figure out if it's my tv or the color on the movie! They did a lot of greenish overlay or something. I can see them doing blues, golds, and bright/ whitish overlays for Gondor. I know, I wish they'd just let it be the natural color, or at least most of it. Put a little Dogma 19 into it (or whatever that filmmaking style is called)!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:32 PM   #15
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I love the digital grading!! I saw what the footage looked like without it, and it was horrid!
I imagined Gondor- and Minas Tirith- were really gloomy and grey when Gandalf and Pip arrive. I always imagined it looked like it was just about to rain (really heavy rain- big, grey clouds), but not a cold sort of rain. A stuffy, intolerable kind of cloudy where you're waiting to see if it's either going to storm or break up, but you just can't stand the stuffiness anymore. That's how I imagined it.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:23 PM   #16
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
I totally agree, that's exactly how I hope it is too.
i believe in god, but the only thing im afraid of is kyzer sosae.
- verbal kint ( from: the usual suspects)
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:19 AM   #17
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
i believe in god, but the only thing im afraid of is kyzer sosae.
- verbal kint ( from: the usual suspects)
I may be a bit slow today - but what's your point?
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:08 AM   #18
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

I think Gondor should have a grayish sky that keeps getting darker until it's compleatly black.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:08 PM   #19
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I always thought of Gondor during the war as having 'potential'. Kind of like it can be beautiful, and it's just not right now.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:42 PM   #20
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Quote:
Council of Elrond was way too yellow, and Rivendell in TTT seems way too blue. The monochromatic coloration messes with my mind and eye!
I think that they were getting the point across that the elves were in atumn of their years, and as time goes past it gets more somber and dark...happens in September every year here...brilliant autumn and then phhhtph.
Gondors upper levels look really nice from all the pictures I've seen of it...but there are also some pics of the lower levels of the city...explosions, soldiers fighting, smoke, and all that. And knowing PJ, and how he's played on the suspenseful moments in the book to the extreme of making us want to mob him he's going to play on the grimness of Gondor's situation alot. So I think that we have nothing to fear.
Cheers,
Sam.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote