Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #141
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'Forgive my oversight, of course she may be seated with us,' said Ashkaio quickly, beckoning Rivailen over.

Rivailen, for her part, had deliberately been keeping her distance, waiting to see whether Anahera and her new companions would be amenable to their presence. The news that this man was from yet another unknown place on the other side of a portal she received with less surprise than she would have thought possible. The prospect no longer seemed shocking to her, and she exchanged greetings with him and accepted the seat behind him.

'I have heard nothing of this Yagluk either,' she told him, a hint of apology in her tone.

Ashkaio shook his head. 'I have learnt that he is no ally of your king,' he explained. 'I thought merely that your court might be the place to speak to someone learned or far-travelled enough to know his whereabouts. I know too that this is indeed the correct place, the position of the doorway was calculated by the stars, and-' for the first time he faltered in his speech and looked back at Elspeth. He would have to trust now that her information was not false.

She had given him no reason to mistrust her, he decided, and so he continued: 'The army that Yagluk leads is not one of men, but of other beings, such as I have learnt that your King Elessar fought against in your Great War. They are more alike to beasts than men, cruel and merciless in battle. Could it be that they dwell in your southern or eastern lands?'

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #142
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Orcs, Barufiniel thought with a shudder, and she repeated it aloud.

"Orcs, those would be, I fear. Such as killed the father of the King when he was only a little boy. If such an army still dwells in the south or east, perhaps the King himself would join you in a mission to destroy them. Not only did he fight them in the Great War, the War of the Ring, but smaller and larger bands of them have been our enemies for generations.

"The Queen's mother was captured by them once. She was rescued by her two sons, but she never really recovered from the harassment she had received, and decided to sail across the sea to the West to be healed there.

"And Minas Tirith will certainly be the place to find travellers who may have heard about such an army. Not only at the court, though, but also at inns and taverns like this one. Even rumors that might not be taken seriously at the court, might be worth investigating further. Now that you know that they may be real."

She wondered a little.

"How do you know, by the way? Have they been to your world, too? Are there more portals involved?"

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #143
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Ashkaio nodded gravely. 'Many more,' he told her. 'The commander of the - Orcs, did you call them? He has a mastery and a knowledge of the doorways that we in Tathera do not possess. We do not believe that he himself can be one of them, as they are brutal creatures of little intelligence. This Yagluk, however, he is using his knowledge to wage war on our Tathera.'

It was the second time Ashkaio had had to tell this story to a stranger, and this time was no easier for him. He frowned, knowing he would have to explain it all. 'It is a well-defended city,' he said. 'Strong outer walls. They are as nothing when the doorways manifest inside the city itself and the orc-creatures travel through and begin their slaughter of our people. They have killed many, including those of my own household. All who are able are resisting them, but it is - it was not enough. If nothing is done, Tathera will fall, and it will be the fault of my house for not protecting it.'

He took a deep breath before carrying on. 'That is why I am here. To deal with this Yagluk, to see what tribute he will have of us in return for peace.' It was an admission of defeat, but Ashkaio, knowing as he did that the situation was only temporary and part of the greater plan that would ensure his people's survival, sat straight and Kazhrun-proud. 'They will not treat with us, on our side of the doorway,' he explained. 'They have not the capacity to comprehend what we ask, I think, they seek only destruction. But you will know this. It grieves me to know that your own lands too have been plagued by them for so long.'

Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #144
Varnafindë

Barufiniel nodded.

"Their strength is in numbers," she said. "A small band of Orcs is no match for a few brave warriors, but when they come in dozens or hundreds, it's another matter. Appearing suddenly inside your city? That's worse than the attack on Minas Tirith.

"And they do indeed only seek destruction. Some of their leaders may have some measure of intelligence - that's probably how they became the leaders - but even they would only seek their own gain, and they seem to hate both humankind and elf-kind.

"They would give you peace only if this Yagluk commanded the retreat. If he lives here and takes them back and forth ... yes, it's him you need to find. If we could get an army of our own through the portals, it might be different, but if he commands the portals and we don't, then we would still be at his mercy.

"I didn't know the portals could be commanded at all. Until today I thought my family were the only people in this world who had seen them, although I knew that in the world where I was born, other people had come through portals from yet other worlds. Does this Yagluk command such strong magic then?"

Old 07-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #145
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Anahera was trying hard to understand what was being said, even though she did not understand some of it she thought understand the important bits. she spoke up, "Bad things come thought blue light in sky? Come to Nolow also? No man be master of all land". She thought for a moment, then pointed to everyone at the table, "No master of all wanders...tribes." She thought a little while longer then added, "Men from ships say big thing in sky swollow ships and all men. If man controls shiny door in sky why he take ships? Why he take me?"
feawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #146
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'It is not magic,' explained Ashkaio patiently. 'It is knowledge. Knowledge that we do not yet have. We might learn it, had we the time and opportunity, but while the assault on Tathera continues we have neither. And he does not,' he continued, looking to Anahera, 'command all of the doorways. I do not think he has summoned you here, any more than he has me.'

It certainly sounded more like magic to Rivailen, but she was not about to argue the matter. Instead, she decided to clarify another point. 'I have never seen an Orc,' she told them, 'but I have heard that there are many different kinds, some possessing more intelligence than others. Indeed, some are said to be quite cunning.'

Ashkaio frowned. 'If that is true, I have seen none of that kind. These Orcs did not even take captives for ransom, they simply killed all who crossed their path.' After what Barufiniel had said about her Queen's mother and wounds that did not heal, however, Ashkaio was no longer quite sure which was the worse state of affairs. It was not like war with another house or city, that was certain.

'In Tathera we have sequestered all the elders and the children in the Copper Tower and within our temples, where the Orcs dare not set foot, unholy creatures that they are. I must tell you though, sera-' here he looked back to Barufiniel, '-even if we had the same knowledge of the doorways that Yagluk does, there is no army now that we could send through to this world. The defenders of Tathera are ragged now and desperate, and my sister who has command of the soldiers of Fourth Tower said before I left that she could not spare even one away from the city. Our allies are silent.' He sighed. 'To find him is the only option left to us.'

Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #147
Varnafindë

Knowledge - not magic? Well, judging by Narnia, it might as well be Aslan's knowledge as his magic, Barufiniel thought. He was certainly controlling the Narnian portals, there had never been any record of anyone using a portal by magic only. Even Queen Lucy, according to some old diaries, had tried to open the portal to go back to Narnia after her first visit, but couldn't, until she found it open again on a later occasion.

But there was knowledge that, given time, one might be able to learn? Perhaps she could learn from this Yagluk how to open a portal to Narnia and go back to visit? Only, if he was dealing with Orcs, he might not be completely trustworthy ...

Ashkaio had some knowledge, though, if they had calculated which world he would arrive at ...

But all that would have to be for later. First of all, he needed help to find Yagluk.

"If you like, you could go with me to Minas Tirith, and I could introduce you to the King," she said. "I'm sure he will want to help you against the Orcs in whatever way he can. His Guards may be able to assist you in asking around in the inns of the city for any information about Yagluk. If he's not too far off, chances are that some word about him will have spread to the White City - Minas Tirith, that is."

~-~-~-

It didn't make sense, Nightshade thought. She had always had the impression that in the world where the Kings and Queens of old came from, their kind had been the only intelligent beings. Had she been wrong?

"The Sons of Adam and the Daughters of Eve would be Men, then, I think," she said. "We also call them humans. They dont really belong to our world, they have always come from their own. But we have some of the same intelligent beings that you have - Dwarfs and Dragons, at least. Dwarfs mine the earth for metal and gems in Narnia as well, and they are great smiths. Dragons are evil beings - at least I've never heard about one that wasn't.

"I thought that you were human - but being an Elf means that you aren't? And when you say that Men fall ill and die, does that mean that Elfs don't? Surely you cannot live forever?"

Last edited by Varnafindë : 07-18-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Adding material
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #148
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Aerin smiled. "Yes. Elves do not die. We can be killed by sword or arrow, but we do not age the way men do. We do not suffer from old age. I myself am more than 400 years old, but not so many years ago there was an Elf who was more than 8,000 years old. She had lived through all three ages of the world and was very wise. She has departed for the West now, and walks here no longer.

"Now, you say you have Men in your world, but they do not belong there? That is strange indeed. How did they get there if they do not belong there? And clearly you revere these Men - why are they so beloved if they are aliens?"
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 07-19-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #149
Varnafindë

That made a little more sense, Nightshade thought. These ... Elves ... were not invincible people, they could be killed by weapons - and perhaps by accidents? And there were beings in Narnia as well who lived for centuries - dryads from oak-trees would live as long as their trees, perhaps for a thousand years - and people like the river-god - there was no saying how old he might be. Perhaps he would not die either.

But Men's connection to Narnia? She smiled a happy smile.

"It's all Aslan's doing," she said. "He made Narnia a place to be inhabited by Talking Beasts - and by Fauns, Dwarfs, Centaurs, Unicorns, Dryads and even other beings - but to be ruled by Men. And he brought the Men in from their own world - I thought it would be this world, but now I'm not sure any more - through a portal between the two worlds.

"On the day when he sang Narnia into being, Aslan brought a Man there ready to be our first King. There were other humans there as well, who left on the next day. But the King stayed, after Aslan had called for his wife, who became his Queen, and he ruled for many years. Their children married nymphs and wood-gods and river-gods, and their descendants ruled for hundreds of years.

"Then an evil witch conquered the land and submitted it to her rule. She was called the White Witch, and she cast a spell upon the land to have only Winter. Just think about it - for a hundred years there was only Winter, never Spring or Summer! It was terrible!

"But there was a prophecy that when two Sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve would sit on the four thrones of Cair Paravel - that's our Royal Palace - that would be the end both of the Witch's reign and of her life.

"And finally Aslan opened a portal to call the Four Royal Siblings out of their world and into Narnia, and then Aslan came back to Narnia as well, and he killed the Witch and everything was all right. And the children were crowned at Cair Paravel, and they ruled for many years, and their reign was the Golden Age of Narnia. They got rid of the remnants of the Witch's army, and everything was good and everyone was happy.

"Now we have a bad king, one who hates Talking Beasts, and his brother is even worse than the King. So we wish that the Four would come back - they didn't die, you see, they were just taken through the portal back to their own world, or so Aslan told the Narnians at the time - and that they would put things right.

"That's why I hope that your King might know where they reign now, so that I could ask them for help. I'm sure that they would help if they could get to Narnia again. But Aslan would have to bring them. Now that a portal has opened, perhaps he will."

Old 07-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #150
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Aerin smiled to herself. Winter for a hundred years? That sounds like a fairy tale. I would hate to see what this creature would do if the likes of Sauron showed up in her world..., she thought. Then she was sorry. If one of the worst things Nightshade had ever heard of was a witch who made it winter for a hundred years, then she could not even imagine what such horrors as Sauron and his evil servants created would do to this innocent badger or her people.

"I am sorry to hear you have an unpleasant sovereign who does not love you. Subjects and kings should have a mutual love for each other. However, these Kings and Queens of old of yours sound like they would be very well-known in their world and I have never heard of them, so I doubt they live here. However, we will find out more when we reach the village."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 07-20-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #151
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'I thank you for your offer of assistance,' said Ashkaio. 'I shall travel with you to the city on the morrow, and perhaps with your recommendation your king will indeed speak with me.' Ashkaio was accustomed to visiting the courts of other cities, and what was a king to him but a sort of ensi, even down to the fact that he held a city of his own. It sounded a fine sort of idea to him, that Barufiniel would make their introductions.

Ashkaio looked around to the others at table. 'And will you not come with me?' he asked of them all, the sort of grand gesture that would have been almost expected in Kazhrun-court. He did not know whether or not the other women would be pleased now to go about their own way without further thought of him. He had Barufiniel to guide him now, after all.

Rivailen tilted her head and gazed back at him, intrigued. 'You wish us to?'

'I am hardly opposed to it.' replied Ashkaio. 'I am a stranger here, and any companionship I would hold to be of value.'

Rivailen watched him for a long moment. There was something going on here, something worth investigating, and if not? There were sure to be loremasters in Minas Tirith who might share with her some knowledge of healing that she did not already know, that she might bring back north and tell to the others. It would not be a wasted trip. 'As it happens, I too have business in the White City,' she declared.

Ashkaio smiled. 'That is good to hear, sera,' he said.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #152
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Anahera shrugged, "I no place better to be then with you, i dislike being in one place."
Elspeth remained silent at the table for a while, there was no real need for a now Ashkaio had other people to show him the way to the king. Anyway it was all getting a bit odd for her now and she really should go back home. It was all well and good talking about changing her life but in all likelyhood she would go home and things would carry on as normal. But she remain silent for now she could think about it in her bed tonight. Raising from her sit, "I must see to my sheep." She turned towards the door.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #153
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Ashkaio got quickly to his feet and moved to Elspeth's side. 'You will not journey on with us?' There was a hint of disappointment in his voice, but he accepted the fact that she had a life that she did not wish to leave, despite its hardships.

'Very well,' he continued, 'although I should have been glad of your company. This, then, is for your kindness towards me.' Taking Elspeth's hand, he pressed into it a number of the silver coins he had held earlier. 'You shall be accounted a friend of House Kazhrun,' he told her, even if he knew that it meant little in this world, where his house was but a name.

He turned back to the others. 'If there are no objections, we shall depart in the morning, after those of us in need of it have had a solid night's rest.'

Old 07-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #154
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Elspeth gave Ashkaio a puzzled look as he pressed the money into her hand. Was he in that much of a rush to get rid of her now he had his new, well dressed friends. She had only been thinking about not carrying on with them. She watched as he turned to the others, tending to plans for tomorrow departure. She gave his back an odd look then turned and left for her sheep. She saw her dog stand and welcome her as she neared them. "What should i do?" She ruffled the dogs soft fur and set about tending to her sheep.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #155
Midge
Faithful Gardener

On Perelandra

Though it had never been done before, Lur arose in the middle of his father's speech and walked silently, reverently toward his father and mother where they stood before the gathering of their children. His father ceased speaking and looked concerned, but even waiting a moment after the command of Maleldil was given was not to be thought of. Lur stood up straight before them.

"Father, Mother. Maleldil has commanded my sister Lantura and I to depart from here and travel to a floating island and live as you once did before the birthing of the world, that we might be made older in Him." Lantura had not risen, knowing that her brother would speak on her behalf. Though the twins did not hear each other as clearly as they did Maleldil without words, they did understand each other remarkably well.

Tor and Tinidril exchanged joyful glances. Tinidril stepped forward. "If Maleldil has commanded you to go hence, then go you must and without delay. If you are to live like we once did, you shall take nothing with you, for we were free and cared for naught but the command of Maleldil in those days. We leaned on Him, for we did not know what the next wave would bring to us in a day."

Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #156
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Beryn followed what trail she could find of the little dragon. Luckily it chose to walk a lot more than it did flying. When evening came, the trail had led her to a more wooded area, which suited her even better. After making absolutely sure no one else was around, she changed into bear-skin. Tracking was easier this way as some of her bear-senses were more accurate. And she did not want the dragon to know it was being chased. An ambling bear would not attract its attention.

The little dragon was looking for shelter as she had expected. It did not seem hungry yet, but these parts looked less-populated, so the dragonlet posed less danger to people and lifestock here. And Beryn herself ran less risk of being hunted by humans herself. Some people just found bear-steak tasty. She shivered unvoluntarily.

When darkness fell, she was certain she had located the dragon's new lair: an old badger's den beneath a great beech. She made her own den not too far away, near the tiny brook. Not wanting to risk a fire so close, she ate her trouts raw. Her bear-stomach could handle it.

Beryn considered her options. She could have vanquished the little beast in its slumber, but she had given her word to see if it was dangerous before dispatching it. It was a bit inconvenient, but Beryn had never given her word lightly. Besides, she had to admit to herself, she was rather curious how an actual dragon behaved. She had only heard of them in stories, now she could observe one in the flesh.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #157
Midge
Faithful Gardener

On Perelandra

The golden roof of Perelandra made the sea water sparkle amber. Lantura - no, Lantie; they were not in their parents' court now and he could use his nickname for her - threw back her head and let her long hair stream behind her as her fish sped toward the dark purple square floating on the horizon. The island, though solid and very habitable, was like a thick mat floating about on the surface of the water rather than a fixed land which has the sea thrown at it.

Lur was ecstatic about coming to this island, and about what Maleldil had in store for them.

Lantie flung her arms out wide so she might feel more of the wind on her body. The scents the sea tossed toward her face were exquisite. As soon as they hoisted themselves onto the springy turf covering the floating island, she broke into a dance which their mother had created, calling it, "This shall be done in the moment of great joy."

Lur noticed a beast who’d been dozing before the twins arrived. As with most beasts, it jumped onto all four of its feet and looked at Lur expectantly. Lur looked directly in its eyes and felt its desire to do his bidding. Lur readied himself to run. The beast saw what he did and followed his lead. At the same moment, both Lur and the beast took off running across the open space of purple grass. When they began running, the island was descending a wave and thus, they ran into a valley. By the time they'd crossed half of it, the island was already climbing the next wave and they finished the run up a steep hill. The beast, knowing that Lur’s purpose was to test his speed, had run hard, but arrived only seconds before Lur did.

At the top of the hill, Lur turned to look down and wave to Lantie, who was still dancing. He laughed aloud and so did she. They knew that Maleldil, their creator who loved them, laughed with them.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #158
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Still on Perelandra

At night, it no longer mattered what color the grass on the island was - the atmosphere above Perelandra was clouded so thickly that the night's darkness was absolute. The sea had a phosphorescent quality off in the distance, but it was not enough to illuminate the twins' faces or even any nearby shapes.

Lantie took a deep breath, for no air was sweeter than the scent of the sea creeping over the floating islands at night. She turned toward where she knew Lur sat.

"I'm so glad that we have come here, even in the midst of the festival. It is easy to understand what Mother has told us about turning from the good you expected or desired to receive the good that you were given instead. We expected to be a part of the festival, and we wanted it because it is a time of joy, but instead Maleldil commanded we come here, which is also a place of joy for us."

Lur smiled. He, like his twin, loved seeing the islands where their parents had roamed before becoming the true King and Queen of Perelandra. "Yes. Isn't it glorious to think of the days before Mother and Father ruled?"

The twins were still very young. One of their older siblings had been given a word recently: "Imagine". It meant to think of things which are not or to think of things differently than they are. This is why Lur and Lantie were on the floating islands: to practice "Imagine". Maleldil had brought them away from what they knew best to learn what they knew not.

And so Lantie and Lur imagined that they were the only two people in the world. They imagined their days were ordered by only their desires and by Maleldil, not by their parents or their siblings. They were learning to be older. Then, in the deep, dark night, they fell sweetly asleep, cradled and rocked safely in the bosom of the sea in Perelandra.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #159
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

In the early morning, after a rich and sumptuous breakfast, Indigo carefully selected his sketching materials. The weather was fair and it looked like it would be an excellent day, ideal for engaging in artistic endeavours.

On his way out Indigo picked up his requested picknick bag from the kitchen. He inspected the bag with the eye of an expert and found it to be exactly as he had asked: second breakfast, elevensies, luncheon, afternoon tea, and even some cakes for snacking in between. He made sure to express his thanks to the innkeeper and left instructions for dinner.

Some of the kids ran after him as he left the village. Even in a smaller village like this one, the people were quite aware of the existence of Hobbits in the Fourth Age. But to actually have one staying in the village -and not in Minas Tirith which was but a short distance away- was something novel for the children. But they soon lost interest when Indigo had passed the village gate and strolled further out into the fields, looking for interesting sights to commit to paper.

After a while he stopped at a copse of birches and took his second breakfast with relish. With his backpack now significantly lighter, he went on. But not long after that he found what he was looking for. To the left was a grassy knoll with an interestingly shaped willow tree. Behind it stretched out green Gondorean fields, dotted with white sheep, grazing sedately. The sunlight was just right and here he had a good spot to sit on the soft and fragrant grass.

Singing a little ditty from back home, he took out his prepared paper, selected a piece of charcoal and set to work.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #160
Midge
Faithful Gardener

On Perelandra

A splash in the water nearby woke Lantura. She opened her eyes to see that it was still night. Her eyes wandered to the side a bit, and in the dark night, she saw something very out of place. A small prick of white light appeared about 50 paces away from where they slept. She sat up quickly, waking Lur, and pointed.

"Lur!" she cried. "What is it?"

They both watched as the prick of light grew, not rapidly, but not too slowly either. Lur was deep in thought.

"Well," he replied, "Maleldil is putting into my mind that it is here to make us older."

Lantie considered a moment. "And in mine too, brother. We should do well to find out what this thing is, that we should be made older as Maleldil wishes."

Both twins now did not doubt that Maleldil did not bring them here to learn "Imagine", but to learn about this growing circle of white light. Though it was dark and they didn't know the island very well, they stood and started toward it. Knowing Maleldil as they did, they were not apprehensive about the light or what it might be and so began running toward it as fast as their legs could carry them, holding hands. Lantura ran swift and light as a deer would, and though Lur was heavier, his strength pushed him forward at exactly Lantie's speed.

Suddenly they were upon the circle of light, which was still growing. Before they realized what it was, they had fallen through it and tumbled over one another onto a gently rolling downhill slope of soft green foliage, as fixed as the Holy Mountain from which their parents ruled Perelandra.