Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2001, 03:11 PM   #1
webwizard333

The Marking?

Does anyone here know what the marking made by Gandalf on Bilbo's door looks like?
Old 06-25-2001, 10:01 PM   #2
anduin

Re: The Marking?

It was the "G" rune wasn't it? Look in the Appendix E section of LOTR under the chart titled "The Angerthas". It is rune #19. That is, if that is the mark he used. I can't remember right now.

Well that's not it...I just reread the passage. That is a good question you have there.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:52 PM   #3
Spock1

Good one Auduin. Thought he might have made the "g" rune for Gandalf but honestly couldn't find what exactly he did....only that he dented the door and wiped out the mark when he arrived for Bilbo's unexpected "party."
I do know that in certain US East and Southern coastal locations, scam artists and door to door sales people have used a mark to note homes that are receptive to their techniques. Perhaps that's the reason behind JRRT's explantion that the mark said "burglar wants a good job, plenty of Excitement and reasonable Reward."
Old 06-27-2001, 12:29 AM   #4
anduin

Interesting....does anyone else know more?
Old 06-27-2001, 02:30 AM   #5
Inoldonil

All Unfinished Tales has to tell me is that it was the thief's mark.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:40 AM   #6
Grand Admiral Reese

According to the Dwarves, it was a general "Burglar for Hire" sign. Whatever that may look like.
Old 06-30-2001, 12:49 PM   #7
anduin

Well, that is what we are trying to figure out....what it looked like exactly.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:59 PM   #8
webwizard333

I have a really old copy of The Hobbit in my attic, it came with ruin translations, illustratations, maps, and all that. I think there's a picture of the marking in it. Tonight I'll check!
Old 07-05-2001, 05:07 AM   #9
Inoldonil

Be sure to tell us who the picture is by. The earliest illustrations in The Hobbit were from JRR Tolkien, but I'm not sure if he ever drew the mark.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:43 AM   #10
Istari Aiwendil

hey guys...
ive been workin all nite on this and i have narrowed it down...

it is either the "g"sign of gandalf which i dont think so but it could be...i think that it is actually the rune for the number "14" as Bilbo was the 14th member that was going on the adventure....I will explain the rune compared to the letter "A".....the rune is compiled by 2 symbols for the "1" and the "4" and there is no space in between the symbols...
The 14 symbol is compiled of a group of 4 dots,the first dot aligned to the left is where the line in the middle of the "A" is and the second group of dots is aligned to the right and theyare directly above each other;1 where the top point of the "A" is,1 in the center of the "A" and one down the bottom where the gap of the "A" is....hope this helps all of you....
laters pplz......
Old 07-06-2001, 02:30 AM   #11
Spock1

FYI my copy of the H and LOTR is from 1966. It has great appendix etc. however, no where is the mark illustrated or referred to as by type.
Old 07-07-2001, 07:33 PM   #12
Inoldonil

I don't think any sign for '14' is likely Aiwendil, because the sign was a normal thief-mark sign that was not exclusive to Bilbo's situation.