Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 03:03 PM   #161
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf

So who's turn is it then?
Old 07-06-2003, 03:19 PM   #162
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

If it's ok, I'll ask so we can get things moving again.

Who and under what circumstances (see another compound question ) said "oft hope is born, when allis forlorn?"
Old 07-06-2003, 08:31 PM   #163
Ararax
Elven Warrior

um spock i read the first post there were no rules about that the question was about a character in the ROTK and didnt belong in any other trivia post, since the appendics come with ROTK and not any other book theres nothign in the rules about it

Last edited by Ararax : 07-06-2003 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #164
azalea
Long lost mooter

I have sent a PM to Indril Anarion asking that she as the thread starter come and clarify whether or not she intended for the Appendices to be included here. I think that's the best way to settle it. While the matter is still in dispute, let's go ahead with Spock's question, since it's his turn to go regardless. Proceed.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:35 PM   #165
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

CAN'T FIND MY GLASSES SO CAPS-EXCUSE PLEASE-

IT'S BEEN THE RULE WRITTEN OR UNWRITTEN-YOU DON'T USE THE APPENDEX FOR QUESTIONS. YES ROTK HAS THE APPENDIX FOR ALL THE TRILOGY BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR ARGUMENT VALID.
AGAIN IF WE'RE CHANGING THE RULES THEN THE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOOK ITSELF MAKE NO SENSE AND THE ODDS GO DOWN FOR THOSE WHO MAY KNOW THE BOOK AND FAVOR THOSE WHO MEMORIZE MINUTIAE INSTEAD. THERE IS ANOTHER TRIVIA THREAD WHICH PERMITS THIS BUT THIS ONE HASN'T. HOPE THIS HELPS.
OH ONE LAST, 17 PAGES OF QUESTIONS AND OVER 99% HAVE FOLLOWED THE FORMAT USING THE BOOK AS THE SOURCE AND NO FURTHER .i.e. EPENDIXES FOLLOWS FORM FOLLOWS RULES

Last edited by Spock : 07-06-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #166
Ararax
Elven Warrior

*cough*
listen to the mod
quit saying your own opinions let azalea find out as she said
Old 07-06-2003, 09:44 PM   #167
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I have sent a PM to Indril Anarion asking that she as the thread starter come and clarify whether or not she intended for the Appendices to be included here. I think that's the best way to settle it. While the matter is still in dispute, let's go ahead with Spock's question, since it's his turn to go regardless. Proceed.

If it's ok, I'll ask so we can get things moving again.

Who and under what circumstances (see another compound question ) said "oft hope is born, when allis forlorn?"
Old 07-06-2003, 09:51 PM   #168
azalea
Long lost mooter

I wasn't really making an argument for or against, I just felt that a fair way to handle it would be to let the thread starter note what her intentions were regarding the matter, if any. If she didn't even think about it, we can decide from there. So far I think people have tended to stick to the story itself, I think most of the people participating are not the "minutiae" (sp?) kind (if you know what I mean), and I don't think the occasonal question from the Appendix will do any harm. However, I also understand that some people that like to participate would feel at a disadvantage if a lot of A questions started popping up (esp. from Appendix E :0 ), so I think not including it is just as valid. Then again, people have asked questions about dates and such in this thread and the others IIRC, so that means each of the three threads could be peppered with A questons.
Do you remember which thread it is that you refer to in your post, Spock, that does allow A questions?

Edit: Oops, sorry, I was writing this when you reposted your question! Yes, let's just get things moving again at this point, and we'll worry about the A thing later.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #169
lacemkr90
Hobbit

To answer Spock's question.
Quote:
Oft hope is born, when all is forlorn
was said by Legolas to Gimi about the need for wind to sail from Pelargir to Harlond in time to save Minas Tirith. Soon afterwards the wind came up.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:42 AM   #170
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yes, good go. Your turn.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:00 AM   #171
lacemkr90
Hobbit

Try this one:
On the paths of the dead Aragron and his company found the “bones of a mighty man”
Who was he and since when (what event) had he been there?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #172
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

It was Baldor and he walked the Paths of the Dead sfter Meduseld was completed.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 AM   #173
lacemkr90
Hobbit

Correct
Wow that was fast, I'll have to think of a harder one next time.
Your turn Cirdan.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 PM   #174
Cirdan

That was hard enough. I just really like that paticular passage.

Name a character desended from the Black Numenoreans.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #175
Indril Anarion
Elven Warrior

Okay...it's not that I want to be a bother... but I have recently been informed that their is a controversy as to whether or not questions from the Appendices are to be included. The answe is no. This is ROTK Trivia...that means questions from the story...if you wish to askl questions from the Appendices, start a thread titled Appendices Trivia....thank you
-Gandalf, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody tosses a Dwarf."
- Gimli, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save Ferris!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My true Elven name is Idril Anarion, but I misspelled in the username, and now I can't fix it... Oh, well...now you know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid of death....Be afraid of the unlived life- Tuck Everlasting
Old 07-07-2003, 06:40 PM   #176
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

dances in the aisles and tosses confetti in the air.....
.........singing.....lemeral alazingin lemeral alazingin, a zemeral
a zemeral......

Last edited by Spock : 07-07-2003 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:30 PM   #177
azalea
Long lost mooter

Okay, that answers our question then, folks. Thanks, Indril, for clearing that up.
I'm wondering if it might be fun to start a trivia thread in the ME forum that would be for ALL of the "outer circle" stuff, not just the Appendices. It could include questions about Elvish, stuff from UT, Letters, whatever. That way those that want trivia on the deeper stuff would have a special place for that.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:35 PM   #178
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
That was hard enough. I just really like that paticular passage.

Name a character desended from the Black Numenoreans.
OK THE RULING IS IN, NOW IS THIS QUESTION IN THE ROTK OR IN THE APPENDEX IN WHICH CASE IT IS INVALID, VOID, NO GOOD.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:36 PM   #179
Cirdan

An excellent idea! Maybe some rule like a clue about the age or something. It could get pretty obscure since there are several versions and forms of some tales.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-07-2003, 09:38 PM   #180
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
OK THE RULING IS IN, NOW IS THIS QUESTION IN THE ROTK OR IN THE APPENDEX IN WHICH CASE IT IS INVALID, VOID, NO GOOD.
Sorry. This IS in RoTK and is a valid question.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Closed Thread