Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-16-2002, 06:59 PM   #161
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Thanks for the character bio, Tessar, but you'll probably have to move it to the new discussion topic of the new RPG whenever that starts .

All right, I guess Middle Earth will be fine, but does anyone have any particular preference as to the location or time period? We should probably discuss these questions in a new topic area, though, because new players who might join in will want to have their say in where and how everything starts out.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:32 PM   #162
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hummm... Well like I said, I wouldn't mind another place. But I really don't have a time preff. Just so long as it isn't a god war sort of time. Like the start of the Sil (unless I get to be Eru ).

So does anyone have an idea for a plot? Also (not that you were) but don't worry about doing one before Tessar was around. I have that other idea I spoke of.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:59 AM   #163
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

Hey cool, I took 10 days to respond this time, not 30.

What about the Second Age? That time period seems rarely visited. In Numenor, perhaps or in ME to fill the void Sauron left as he went to Numenor?

And sure, definitely start a new thread.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:11 PM   #164
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

I think Selwythe's suggestion is pretty darn good - I would definitely be interested in something set in Numenor, or even in ME during the same time period.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:53 PM   #165
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'd be fine with that too. If we did within Numenor, that would be interesting but is liable to end a tragedy. It could have some really neat character development though, and I'd want to reread the part of the Silmarillion that describes those happenings. We'd be working within an already set out plotline, you know.

In Middle Earth, the whole field would be wide open for us to do basically whatever we wanted.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:09 AM   #166
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm chilled with what ever you guys want. But only if Leif could tell me what parts of the sil I would need to read. I never made it very far into the book and most of it I actualy zoned out while reading
Old 11-07-2002, 02:15 PM   #167
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

Well, if it took place over in ME during the time of Numenor, you wouldn't need to read much - that area is left pretty much open for us to play with.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:18 AM   #168
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

I would most deffinately be interested in this as well, sounds very interesting Alas! I could introduce my MUME character, Glimdrell... Yes!

Would have to reread the part of Silmarillion that tells of this matter yes...

- Falathion
Old 11-13-2002, 01:23 PM   #169
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

So we have two primary options. One: have the most open Middle Earth story ever, being able to create and destroy kingdoms and make battles and forces of evil and basically whatever we want (Though within Tolkien's realm and abiding by his rules).

Two: have an extremely choreographed story which is far less action oriented and far more plot and character driven. That would be a deep story, and that would be the story of Numenor. It would be detailing what happened in depth, and that would be interesting too.

I'm strongly interested in doing either of these, for the first option would have enormous openess in being able to let our imaginations run wild, and the second option also would be fascinating to do, if we could manage to do it properly. We might have to work out a little of the plot together before starting on that one, if we did it, simply because it's such a deep undertaking.

So I can go either way.

Tessar, if we do the downfall of Numenor, then you'd have to reread the Akallabeth. In my version of the Silmarillion, it starts at page 257. That's one of the other stories in the Silmarillion which aren't part of the Silmarillion itself, but are attached, as they are also part of the history. "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" is another of the same, describing in a relatively small amount of space the whole Lord of the Rings saga.

So it'd be like reading a short story.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:42 PM   #170
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

My feelings generally mirror Lief's. I don't really have the time to put either together myself, but start them happening and I'll join in.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:37 PM   #171
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Eh, seeing how I have a hard time with the Sil, I would personaly vote for the 'no reading required' one. Also I think I'll loose intrest reeeeally fast if there isn't any action and I have to basicaly walk a pre programmed path.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:01 PM   #172
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

All right, we can save that one for some time in the future. Besides, I doubt that it would collect as many new players as the other one would anyway.