Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #161
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Now that was hilarious, Udu! I have had a good laugh.
Yes on Entmoot it should be the ultimate argument against the printing press!
Gordis,

The group that will go to technology quicker than you can shake a tree bough is the elves. Everytime you turn around, one of them is at a forge, possibly burning wood (Treebeard shudders at that). Worse still, they might be burning coal (probably high sulfur since even today there is not the technology to filter all of that out). Elves will turn to metal-smithing every chance they get, and everyone knows metal-smithing is one of the roots of all evil.

Capitalists, every one of them. Making jewelry, weapons, material of war.

"No such eradication of Morgoth was possible, since this required the complete disintegration of the 'matter' of Arda. Sauron's power was not (for example) in gold as such, but in a particular form or shape made of a particular portion of total gold. Morgoth's power was disseminated throughout Gold, if nowhere absolute (for he did not create Gold) it was nowhere absent. (It was this Morgoth-element in matter, indeed, which was a prerequisite for such 'magic' and other evils as Sauron practiced with it and upon it.) ... For example, all gold (in Middle-earth) seems to have had a specially 'evil' trend..." - Myths Transformed, Morgoth's Ring, p. 400
Old 12-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #162
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
OK - now that I look at it more closely, I see where some of the stairs are shown not discharging at certain levels. However - the right stair looks like it doesn't open onto the First floor (Khamul's new apartment). I assume it does though, since you don't list any work closing that up (and otherwise I'd wonder how anyone got up to the first floor apartment ).
Really, Val! Just LOOK. Isn't there double parade stairs right in the middle of the hall leading to the former King's rooms?

As for the right stair not opening into the First floor gallery, it was a renovation thet was done prior to the ML's appearance at Tharbad. The former Librarian always stayed in the Library and didn't want students going from the Scriptorium to venture into his rooms. Maybe the door is there, but always locked. Maybe it is filled in.

Another prior improvement, made when the Tower was assigned to hold the Library, was the building of the solid wall across the Ground Floor Hall and making a back entrance to the tower. Thus the separate "Public Library" appeared.

Actually, guys, the Evil Cartographer has improved the Library plan. Please, have a look here:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a337/Gor-Dis/Lib2.jpg

Udu, I always thought Elves were the bane of Middle-Earth! They are responsible for the Ring project, the Silmarils, the Palantiri...Even Orcs were literally made of them!
Without the Golug, life would have been much better!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:10 PM   #163
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Udu, I always thought Elves were the bane of Middle-Earth! They are responsible for the Ring project, the Silmarils, the Palantiri...Even Orcs were literally made of them!
Without the Golug, life would have been much better!
Gordis, that is why the Golug had to leave Middle-earth. If they had stayed, they might have destroyed it. Far better it is to keep them confined among their own kind where they can argue and kill each other as they want and leave mankind alone. If they had never been around in the first place, after all, there never would have been orcs. *mischievous devil grin*
Old 12-03-2005, 07:22 PM   #164
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Gordis, that is why the Golug had to leave Middle-earth. If they had stayed, they might have destroyed it. Far better it is to keep them confined among their own kind where they can argue and kill each other as they want and leave mankind alone. If they had never been around in the first place, after all, there never would have been orcs. *mischievous devil grin*
Exactly! Golug-hai, go home!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #165
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
The group that will go to technology quicker than you can shake a tree bough is the elves. Everytime you turn around, one of them is at a forge, possibly burning wood (Treebeard shudders at that). Worse still, they might be burning coal (probably high sulfur since even today there is not the technology to filter all of that out). Elves will turn to metal-smithing every chance they get, and everyone knows metal-smithing is one of the roots of all evil.

Capitalists, every one of them. Making jewelry, weapons, material of war. :
This is SO TRUE!!! Friggin' elves. Speaking of elves, Ciao, Rian!I've been unable 2 get to the computer for a few days but I'm here now for a few minutes, so I'll go ahead & insert that little phrase you want. Not necessarily because I want to mix your writing w/ mine (which I don't like the idea of at all, but it IS a group rpoject like I always have to remind myself) but because I just don't want any more headaches every time I write something. I'll make a notation at the insert that it's your addition, o.k.? Let me just say, though, that I felt I accurately portrayed Alagos' hesitation and slight unease with Viv momentarily when she mentioned Orrodel, so this insertion will come across as redundant, but... as you wish.

NOW - I have a lot of reading 2 do...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 12-03-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #166
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Great posts, Udu & Earniel, except that I have 2 say, it really DOES seem unreasonable that the library should be so intensely restricted. Gordis, I love the new map you drew. Minas Aran looks like so much fun to be able to explore, a real fantasy exploring place. You guys remember thelibrary as depicted in the film, the one in Minas Tirith that Gandalf went to that one time? Like that, but even cooler.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #167
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*falls over and dies* Gah....not feeling well and am withdrawing for a while...not quiting, just ghosting. I have lots to think about and do for the time being. Sorry.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #168
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanx, Lotesse, the Library will be a fascinating place for exploration.

All the libraries with rare handwritten books are bound to be restricted. In our case the Public Library will be open all day long, and the Scriptorium, or the reading-writing room of the main Library will be open from 9 till 18. Reasonable?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #169
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Most definitely!

Old 12-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #170
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
*falls over and dies* Gah....not feeling well and am withdrawing for a while...not quiting, just ghosting. I have lots to think about and do for the time being. Sorry.
get up! GET UP! No dying allowed. You can't die; what the hell is Viv gonna do in Ray's absence? Just please don't stay away for too long, Pleeease.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #171
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I will try, and no, i dont want to dissapoint Viv at all. Or you for that matter. But I am still dead.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:34 PM   #172
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Sane , but seriously! You can't do that to us!

If you can give an estimate of the length of your absence, please, send (or let Val send) Ray and Marty somewhere, for some time. For instance, to carry an urgent message to Annuminas? Must take a week rpg-time.

Or just send them hunting - one day Rpg-time. Or better send them on a boat trip, then Vivvie and Lily will not even consider to go with them.

Please, Sane! Vivvie, and to an extent Lilly and Val, are restricted in their posting, as no one knows what Ray and Marty are doing.

What do you think, Sane? And you, Lotesse?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:36 PM   #173
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Shah - Maybe you SHOULD send the boys off hunting or fishing, that's a good idea. But don't make it for longer than an RPG day, because we all know an RPG day lasts like a month real time, and I'd totally lose interest in this story if you were gone for even longer than a week never mind a whole freakin' month.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #174
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

As you wish, I will ask Val to send the two off on something or other, I wont be gone long, maybe a few days. If that, I just gotta go meditate.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:01 AM   #175
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
:
:
I agree with BB in the post above. "Do nothing" approach appeals to me more than editing all of it back. However, perhaps, in just the very first post, you could change the "newspaper" to "news-letter, carefully copied by a scribe". It will permit the newcomers (if we will get more newcomers) not to get wrong anachronistic ideas. Could you do that, Val?
:
:
Done. I saw that I only referenced "The Palantir Gazette" without calling it a newspaper, however.

Also saw that I had not yet changed Oreturion's title in that post away from 'chancellor' - so I did so (anyway - hey, I used it first! ).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:11 AM   #176
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thanks for editing, Val.
I have gone through it. But, I believe, you missed the word "tabloids" in #2.
Quote:
So - now we have Valandil taking courses at the University of Southern Arnor in Tharbad. The tabloids of both kingdoms had a hay-day with this one,
I believe you can just say "gossip" and that would be it.

Did you like my new Library? - (link is in #162)

Last edited by Gordis : 12-04-2005 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:26 AM   #177
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Serenoli, I see you are on-line. Why won't Tolvadoc come and see Mahtaliel again at 6 PM, after her sword-smithing lesson?

By the way, after leaving the Library (also around 6 PM), Earniel and Rian most likely will go see Mahtaliel, to say thank-you for letting them into the library. So you are bound to meet all three.
Isn't it a good opportunity to discuss possible jobs in Tharbad? The Chancellor said you had to pay fifteen gold Elendils a month - a great sum of money, to be admitted as post-doc. . So you will have to get a very well-paid job.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:41 AM   #178
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for editing, Val.
I have gone through it. But, I believe, you missed the word "tabloids" in #2.

I believe you can just say "gossip" and that would be it.

Did you like my new Library? - (link is in #162)
OK thanks - I did 'gossip-mongers'

Yes - the new library plan was nice. I wasn't certain until you told me before that those were stairs going from Ground Floor to First Floor (I always have to think about this when I write it - here in America, we generally call the Ground Floor the First Floor).

I've "dropped the ball" on this one, LMM - but I guess we'll have to wrap up the conversation between Oreturion and Mahtaliel. (EDIT: OK LMM, I had Oreturion wrap up what he came to say. You may add something yourself, with appropriate responses from him, as you say your farewells.)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 12-04-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #179
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

My internet connection has been down most of the weekend so I haven't been able to get on and check out everybodies posts.
Gor, I have to go out for a bit in five minutes but I will do required editing when I get back. And shouldn't there be a door in Galadannun's apartment that leads to the stairs that go up to the Scriptorium and down to the Main library, otherwise there is no door in or out of his apartment, other than the secret door that nobody knows about.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 12-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #180
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

TD, glad you are back! Your interview with Udu is long-awaited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
And shouldn't there be a door in Galadannun's apartment that leads to the stairs that go up to the Scriptorium and down to the Main library, otherwise there is no door in or out of his apartment, other than the secret door that nobody knows about.
Nay, TD, a double set of PARADE stairs leads to your apartment from the hall. It is marked by the striped rectangles on the plan. Now the Evil Cartographer has added a label to it (Stairs to Galadannun's apartment), and even has drawn the stairs on the longitudinal section of the tower.
Hmm, it is the funniest representation of stairs I have ever seen. But, sorry, the Evil Cartographer can't do better, he isn't a Good Architect after all!

Last version of the Library
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a337/Gor-Dis/Lib3.jpg
Closed Thread