Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #161
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
Yep, anyone who frequent them ends up with Ar-Alyanis, which wouldn't translate to jack-squat. If it did translate into proper Sindarin, it'd probably mean this...

ZEEKY BOOGY DOOG!!!

You're obsessed as hell with Lord of the Rings if you go to a university and one of the people going there goes to class dressed like Gandalf, wearing COMPLETELY accurate clothing, carrying COMPLETELY accurate props (staffs, hat, Glamdring, etc), but somehow you're only 5'6" which is probably around 6 to 8 inches shorter than Gandalf. My fiance's sister is in college and she had taken a picture of this guy who had dressed up as Gandalf. And the thing is, this guy goes to class everyday dressed as Gandalf. The unfortunate part of this, and this is sad, is this sad person is a friend of my fiance's sister. Hell, if I was in college now, I'd probably even poke some jokes at this guy. Back when I was in college though, this one guy dressed in a cape and held a red pitchfork every once in a while, but that doesn't even come close to some one dressing as Gandalf every day.

Apparently this guy even did a presentation in front of a class dressed as Gandalf, and my fiance's sister says this guy almost sounds like Gandalf, probably because of the beard.

But hey, it's what make the world turn around. If everyone were status quo 24/7/365 then it'd be an awfully boring world, and on such a small world, you need a lot of interesting stuff going on.

Like Captain Janeway said on an episode of Voyager, "you're in Starfleet, weird is part of the job!"
Yay! *applauds*
Captain Janeway and Gandalf are two of my role models.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #162
Amael
Elven Warrior

I agree! Ingwe got me into Voyager a lot and from seeing just aboutt every episode, I gotta say Janeway is a great role model. Janeway's one of those who doesn't let the Prime Directive get in the way. She creatively "uses" it to her advantage and spoils the fun for everyone else. Nobody but Janeway could have gotten that ship through 7 years of total danger. I'm not too sure about Kirk because I haven't seen many of the older Trek. I'm very much not old school in that way.

Gandalf, Galadriel, Arwen, and Captain Janeway are all just the coolest. Gandalf is your unbiased God-like figure and Galadriel, Arwen, and Janeway show that girls can kick butt more than pretty much anyone ellse. Picard was too polite and had plenty of opportunitties to steal stuff from the Borg but never did. Janeway had pllenty of opportunities to steal from the Borg and well she did, and evven improved upon it! So if Janeway and Gandalf went up face to face in a battle in a cross-universe way, it's just my opinion, but they'd both be quite evenly matched, until Janeway took Gandalf's powers and improved upon tthem.

Her ship was so great it spawned shuttles out of nowhere!

Anyway, if I was going to be on topic, which I should because I've been an administrator on my Ingwe's site for a while and usually kill people for going off-topic, then I'd havve this to say ....

You're addicted to Lord of the Rings if you know who Denethor's father, grandfather, great grandfather, and the exact years that they reigned as steward, when they were born, how long they lived, the names of their wives, and the names of other siblings of their heirs.

Quote:
You're obsessed as hell with Lord of the Rings if you go to a university and one of the people going there goes to class dressed like Gandalf, wearing COMPLETELY accurate clothing, carrying COMPLETELY accurate props (staffs, hat, Glamdring, etc), but somehow you're only 5'6" which is probably around 6 to 8 inches shorter than Gandalf. My fiance's sister is in college and she had taken a picture of this guy who had dressed up as Gandalf. And the thing is, this guy goes to class everyday dressed as Gandalf. The unfortunate part of this, and this is sad, is this sad person is a friend of my fiance's sister. Hell, if I was in college now, I'd probably even poke some jokes at this guy. Back when I was in college though, this one guy dressed in a cape and held a red pitchfork every once in a while, but that doesn't even come close to some one dressing as Gandalf every day.

Apparently this guy even did a presentation in front of a class dressed as Gandalf, and my fiance's sister says this guy almost sounds like Gandalf, probably because of the beard.

But hey, it's what make the world turn around. If everyone were status quo 24/7/365 then it'd be an awfully boring world, and on such a small world, you need a lot of interesting stuff going on.
Actually, I've seen this guy around myself. When visiting my sister up at college this past winter, I noticed this guy dressed as Gandalf and I think it was the same guy my sister was talking about, unless the place is full of Gandalfs.

A funny piece of information. My sister came up with a name for the syndrome that makes people dress like Gandalf everyday. It was something like "Gandalfylitis". It's described as an inflammation in the part of the brain that deals with trivia regardingg things like TV shows and movies but more specifically targets the area of the brain responsible for memorizing how Gandalf talks, how he dresses, the staff he holds, etcetera.

With some people, everyday is Halloween, or opening night for Lord of the Rings in that case.
Amael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #163
AnduinFury
Sapling

Strider You Know You're Obsessed When...

1. Your mum is going to the grocery store and asks if you need anything. You reply by kneeling, clasping her hands and saying, "I would have gone with you 'till the end."

1.5)You know you're an even bigger nut when you've trained her to respond, "I know." instead of throwing you in the nuthouse.

2.When your gerbil Frodo dies, you hold him to your chest and cry, "Not asleep - dead!"

3. Your mum wander into your room looking for the scissors and you look at her and say, "I cannot give you what you seek!"

4. Your best friend, who has never seen the movie, knows every plot twist and surprise ending, and can recognize every actor and character by sight. (You give her the box set for Christmas )
AnduinFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #164
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnduinFury View Post
1. Your mum is going to the grocery store and asks if you need anything. You reply by kneeling, clasping her hands and saying, "I would have gone with you 'till the end."

1.5)You know you're an even bigger nut when you've trained her to respond, "I know." instead of throwing you in the nuthouse.)

These are perhaps the most excellent thing I have ever read. Welcome to Entmoot!!!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #165
AnduinFury
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
These are perhaps the most excellent thing I have ever read. Welcome to Entmoot!!!

Why thank you This place is awesome - so inspirational!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #166
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

You know you're obcessed with LOTR if:

-your life's dream is to collect every book by/concerning Tolkien/ME/LOTR/Elfs

-you argue tirelessly with your uncle over whether santa's elves are really Elfs (they're not!)

-you get mad every time someone spells "Elfs" "Elves" because Tolkien prefers first spelling

-you have The One Ring and wear it secretly tucked into your shirt

-you have The One Ring and haven't put it on because you're afraid the Nazgul will come

-you have argued with your teacher whether Gandalf is a wizard and uses magic or an Istari who uses the power given to him by Illuvatar.

-you own three copies of LOTR-one very nice version for display-a paperback version for actually reading-and an extra copy in case you lose any of the others
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 06-29-2010 at 12:40 AM.
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #167
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund View Post
You start quoting from the movie as part of regular conversation.

You've crammed up your computer's memory by downloading every single screensaver from www.LordoftheRings.net

You hate it when Elves are only thought of as 'Santa's little helpers' and have tried to explain the difference between Santa-elves and Sindarin Elves to your 5-year old cousins.

You refer to regular elephants as oliphaunts.

You have a replica of The One Ring.

You actually managed to read the Silmarillion without being tempted to give up on this whole middle earth malarkey.

Single ads with the description," short plump and big hairy feet" seem much more appealing.

You know The LoTR history better then your family history.

You know everything about Middle Earth geography, but you can't get someone from your house to the ice cream parlor. Now the nearest movie theater, that is a different story.

You change your name by deed poll to a Tolkien character and seriously consider naming your children after LOTR characters.

You cannot see a beer without blurting out "It comes in pints? I'm getting one!"

You now referring to your friends as your 'Fellowship' and insist that you have epic adventures.

You start keeping a LOTR Journal to write poems and inklings in.

You face every difficult decision with the thought "now what would Gandalf advise me to do?"

You know what Entmoot, Ent draught, or an Ent is for that matter

You actually get these jokes and post them on Lord of the Rings Websites.
I'm am so guilty of all of these! Especially blurting out, "it comes in pints? I'm getting one!" My friends and I say that every time someone says the word beer! One to add:

-you spent the past year stalking Christopher Tolkien just to get his email and home address to be able to write him...and yes, I have them both!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #168
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
-you own three copies of LOTR-one very nice version for display-a paperback version for actually reading-and an extra copy in case you lose any of the others
... in English, and then the same in your first language if this isn't English

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #169
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
-you get mad every time someone spells "Elfs" "Elves" because Tolkien prefers first spelling
Wait, Tolkien preferred "Elfs" to "Elves"? Where is that from? Or did I misunderstand you?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #170
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
This reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02M0xDr7hM0#t=6m23s
Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #171
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Wait, Tolkien preferred "Elfs" to "Elves"? Where is that from? Or did I misunderstand you?
Yes, he preferred the first spelling rather over the second...still rummaging through my folders of letters and essays I have of his to directly quote it...will report as soon as I find it
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #172
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Would that be 'Elfs' for Shakespeare-type fairies, with Elves for the Eldar?
He certainly preferred Dwarves for Dwarfs for his own creations, with Dwarfs as the term for the fairy-tales ones ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #173
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Except when he preferred 'Dwarrows,' that is.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #174
Gwaimir Windgem

Or Dwerrows, don't forget.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #175
AnduinFury
Sapling

Strider

Fer sher! Dwerrows... But hey, question - is everyone satisfied with the chosen cast for the movies, or would you have liked someone else? (i.e Aragorn should have been played by ________)
Old 08-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #176
Gwaimir Windgem

Not Stuart Townsend, that's for sure.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #177
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Yes, he preferred the first spelling rather over the second...still rummaging through my folders of letters and essays I have of his to directly quote it...will report as soon as I find it
Huh, I'd be interested to see that. The only thing I found (through googling) was that he prefered 'elf' to 'fairy'. I could've sworn that in all of his stories he used the word 'elves' over 'elfs'.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #178
Gwaimir Windgem

Certainly, he used it the vast majority of the time, which would be strange, if he preferred elfs (given that he showed no qualms at using dwarves over the more common dwarfs). Elfs is such a rare occurrence that intuition wants to make of it an out-right error; even the MW doesn't seem to recognize it, though the OED lists it as a form (and provides the interesting tidbit that originally, "elf" was masculine and "elven" feminine).

Of course, scarcity of usage was never something to scare JRRT away, so that doesn't really show much. I would be interested to see the citation, though.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #179
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

When every essay you hand in to your English Foreign Language teacher, no matter what the topic, is about Middle-Earth (yes, I'm looking at you, Tina Chen.)

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #180
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
... in English, and then the same in your first language if this isn't English
LOL! Good one! (goes off to check on her 3 copies)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 08-12-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote