Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 02:03 PM   #161
Sween
im quite stupid

Unfortnally the whole middle east situation will never be resolved ever. its like the northan ireland situation. i know a lot of jews and they are very stuborn by nature (much like the northan irish) and they firmly believe that the land is theres. Im sure the palastines feel the same and will spend the rest o their lives fighting over it. It says somewhere the jews will not know a year of peace and it looks likes its true.

I think all the western governments should try and distance themseleves from this issue. that a horriable thing to say i know but it cannot be resolved till one side is all dead. This is a conflicts of faiths and races and it could end up drawing the rest of the world into it.

As for northan ireland it just perplexs me why we let these people have a political party they should be all locked up. Could you imigin of the liberal democrates decided they wanted a parimary wing or the democrates lock them all up i say
Old 07-24-2002, 02:43 PM   #162
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Well England did take the land from Ireland first. Also England has been very "anti-catholic" and that still exists in northern Ireland. Why doesn't England just give back northern Ireland to Ireland and get out? It's not like Ireland attacked England. England had tried to capture Ireland since the time of the Plantagenants (Prince John at one time ruled over Ireland). England finally succeeded and managed to retain a sliver of the island. So now you're saying that all Northern Irish should be locked up? If you want a quick resolution to the Northern Ireland situation - England should just get out. By the way - I don't condone what the IRA does. I'm against all attacks that are purposely aimed at innocent people. But as far as I'm concerned - that's between England and Northern Ireland.

England basically created Israel and the Palestinian state - but then just left and didn't worry about what problems they had created in the region.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-24-2002 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:52 PM   #163
Sween
im quite stupid

you make some good point about northan ireland it in my opinion should be part of ireland or a seprate state it should not be part of Britian and the British (those not living in northan ireland) would be more than happy to lose it. its the protastants of northan ireland that dont want to lose it.

Northan ireland though has gone under the process of devolution the same as scotland and wales have in the last few years. this is the way ahead for this country i would very happly have the complete sepeartions of the countries england, scotland, wales and northan ireland.

This has begun and the only country without its own parliment is england.

the fact about this ile is if you ask anyone what there nationaliy is no one will ever answer British.

I do not think that all northan irish should be looked up but any baring arms should be delt with and not the policy of letting killers free. The people who plan and opertate the parlimerties should be punished and there leaders (people like gerry armstrong) should be stripped of any power they have unless they lose all ties to these parties. George bush is right on one thing you dont seem to be able to negoate with terrorists so we should find them and punish them
Old 07-24-2002, 03:05 PM   #164
jerseydevil

Well England doesn't have it's own parliament because it basically "owns" scottland, wales and northern Ireland. You're the first person form England that I ever heard say that Great Britain should be broken up. I kwow that Scottland only just got their parliment within the last 10 years - but I didn't know that Wales had it's own Parliament.

I agree that anyone that takes part in terrorist actions should be locked up. Anyone that purposely kills innocent people has no respect for human life and they reallyt do nothing for their cause in my eyes. I would side much more with the palestinians if they didn't dance in the streets and celebrate the deaths of israeli citizens or condone suicide bombers and worship them. To me that is just sick and inhuman.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-24-2002, 03:56 PM   #165
Sween
im quite stupid

well wales has an asemby im not sure what the limits of there powers are but it still stands that england is the only place where decions cannot be made on a national level and we live by all of britians laws which scotland and wales are allowed to amend. For instance university students in scotland do not pay uni fees but you have to in england.

I dont mind the breaking up at all there are no disadvantages to me been in england where most of the wealth employment and populations reside but scotland could not sustaine how it is at the moment without us. so i suppose we do kinda own them but they would not have as many benifits without us and would be considerbly poorer areas. Wales infact has very little industy and most of it is farmland.

Last edited by Sween : 07-24-2002 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:59 PM   #166
Sween
im quite stupid

well wales has an asemby im not sure what the limits of there powers are but it still stands that england is the only place where decions cannot be made on a national level and we live by all of britians laws which scotland and wales are allowed to amend. For instance university students in scotland do not pay uni fees but you have to in england.

I dont mind the breaking up at all there are no disadvantages to me been in england where most of the wealth employment and populations reside but scotland could not sustaine how it is at the moment without us. so i suppose we do kinda own them but they would not have as many benifits without us and would be considerbly poorer areas. Wales infact has very little industy and most of it is farmland.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:24 PM   #167
Blackheart
Elf Lord

I'm curious. What makes you think there's so much "anti-american" sentiment out there?

I'm fairly well travelled, and I've met a lot of assholes, and a lot of nice people. My suspicion is that the assholes are the ones who are going to use the fact that you are an American as an excuse to be what they already are.

But the nice people are really nice. I remember being in excercises in Germany, and getting lost. I wandered up to this nice little farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, and this elderly couple came out when I knocked on the door.

Here I am in battle gear, rifle over my shoulder, helmet on, loaded down with all the crap they make you carry, and you would have thought I was their long lost son. They took me in, fed me up (I thought I was going to bust a gut, that woman kept bringing me strudel ) and made a call.

And they talked to me. They told me about the liberation in 44-45, and the problems, what they liked and didn't like about the division of Germany. All in all it was a very educational experience for a young man.

And eventually the rest of my platoon showed up, got fed, waved goodbye, and marched off. But I don't think I can forget that kind of hospitality.

True enough I've met assholes who hated me just because I'm an American, but I kind of have to look at those people the same way I look at people who hate people just because they are black or white or whatever ethnic reason.

****, if your going to hate me, do it for the right reasons, because you know me as an individual, not because you've been brainwashed into it.

You start letting them brainwash you, and before you know it, you'll be indistinguishable from the mass of reactionary gullible idiots that crowd the streets here, and hate anything they don't understand.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 07-24-2002, 05:04 PM   #168
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
I'm curious. What makes you think there's so much "anti-american" sentiment out there?
I'm not exactly sure wish way you're asking this. Are you asking why there is a lot of Anti-American sentiment or why I feel that there is and there may not be as much as it seems?

I'm really not sure how much is out there. I know that it seems a lot of times that no matter what we do we get critricised for it. But hey - you can't make everyone happy all the time. Also - a lot of countires - particularly in Europe seem to have this attitude that they've been around longer - so we should be following them. Instead they find themselves as the stand-ins and backups.

From seeing some of the discussions on Entmoot - I have realised how little the rest of the world understands the way our government works. Of course many Americans don't either. For some reason everyone thinks that the President holds all the power and what ever he says - just happens. Everyone seems to forget that Congress holds most of the power, not to mention that you get into the issue of states rights. People around the world forget that these are OUR elected officials and that their first requirement is to work for their constuents - us the US voters. They seem to have a problem because we just don't necessarily go along with the Criminal Court - just because the rest of the world is - or sign Kyoto - because the rest of the world has.

Quote:

****, if your going to hate me, do it for the right reasons, because you know me as an individual, not because you've been brainwashed into it.
I agree with this 100%. Foreign newspapers and media report US news from their stand point - not ours. So they only get part of the news concerning an action that we take. I am more than willing to show people around - if anyone comes out to the NJ/NY area - I'd show anyone around the area. Maybe then they can get to know what Ameircans and America are really like. I have a friend in italy that was surprised we ate fish - she only thought we ate meat.

Quote:

You start letting them brainwash you, and before you know it, you'll be indistinguishable from the mass of reactionary gullible idiots that crowd the streets here, and hate anything they don't understand.
I don't think that will happen to me. I strive to understand things. I talk to a lot of people around the world. I've had to sit at a table with various people from one country in europe - and all they did was complain about everything in America (not our politics, just about how people talked, acted, dressed, etc) - but I still have friends in that country and I'll talk to anyone that wants to.

So many threads on entmoot have turned into anti-american discussions - and the majority of people on the moot are americans I think. I don't talk about what other countries have done or do unless they're taking jabs at the US.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-24-2002 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:06 PM   #169
Sween
im quite stupid

the reason people dislike the americans is the same as any nation dislikes another nation. People do no like the french because they are snooty, the italins because they would think once of stealing ur wife, the english because we are seen to think we are superior (well hby the scottish anyway). I dont think people like America as a nation because you are seen as been arrogantt and self important.

i peorsonally dont mind americans i got to know one well when her father came to work with my father for a year and you have a lot of traits the rest of the world should be envious of.

but you media and government do seem to give off a we are right you a wrong and your just gonna have to follow our lead. personally i do not like the way our government does not challenege you much and just does what its told.

dont take offence please this is the impression the world from my experience has of america
Old 07-24-2002, 05:34 PM   #170
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
the reason people dislike the americans is the same as any nation dislikes another nation. People do no like the french because they are snooty, the italins because they would think once of stealing ur wife, the english because we are seen to think we are superior (well hby the scottish anyway). I dont think people like America as a nation because you are seen as been arrogantt and self important.
Oh I've gotten that impression from some people form England I've known. But I know that not all the country is like that - at least some other people I know aren't like that.

We aren't arrogant - we're self confident. We have a can do attitude. People seem to take it as arrogance. We live for indivual rights - "no one is going to tell me what I can do in my own home" attitude. How many other cities could have gone through what NY had gone through and still function? The attitude that got us through that - some people call arrogance. We actually don't look down on other countries.

Also - the east coast and west coast have a far more "arrogant" attitude than people in the midwest and south. They just seem to go with the flow - whereas in NJ - you'll know how we really feel. The east coast attitude of the states in the middle of our country - is just land that we have to fly over to get to the west coast.

Quote:

i peorsonally dont mind americans i got to know one well when her father came to work with my father for a year and you have a lot of traits the rest of the world should be envious of.

but you media and government do seem to give off a we are right you a wrong and your just gonna have to follow our lead. personally i do not like the way our government does not challenege you much and just does what its told.

dont take offence please this is the impression the world from my experience has of america
How much of our media do you actually get? The world seems to get it's idea of our media through CNN. How much of our government decisions and discussions with world leaders is reported and how much of our decisions are explained from our standpoint? I doubt hardly any. Of course your media is going to report our decisions in how it affects you - just like we look at our decisions on how it'll affect us.

I'm not taking offense either. People aren't going to like everything about a country. Or even a person. but most people seem to be coming up with ideas of what America is like - without ever having been here. And it's funny how people criticise our media - but when I was in England - I didn't see any of our media - so I wonder where they get an idea of what our media is like.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-24-2002 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:41 PM   #171
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
As for northan ireland it just perplexs me why we let these people have a political party they should be all locked up. Could you imigin of the liberal democrates decided they wanted a parimary wing or the democrates lock them all up i say
I believe you are talking about Sinn Fein and their links to the IRA, Sinn Fein would argue that they are not the IRA, so they can't be blamed for their actions.

Quote:
Well England did take the land from Ireland first. Also England has been very "anti-catholic" and that still exists in northern Ireland. Why doesn't England just give back northern Ireland to Ireland and get out? It's not like Ireland attacked England. England had tried to capture Ireland since the time of the Plantagenants (Prince John at one time ruled over Ireland). England finally succeeded and managed to retain a sliver of the island. So now you're saying that all Northern Irish should be locked up? If you want a quick resolution to the Northern Ireland situation - England should just get out. By the way - I don't condone what the IRA does. I'm against all attacks that are purposely aimed at innocent people. But as far as I'm concerned - that's between England and Northern Ireland.
There are those within Northern Ireland that actually want to keep the link with Britain, called Unionists and the more extreme Loyalists, who have their own Paramilitary groups such as the LVF.

Quote:
people like gerry armstrong
Gerry Adams.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:24 PM   #172
Sween
im quite stupid

Sinn fein are well known to be linked with the IRA and this is a fact people cannot get away from. We do not quite know what the organsational strucre of these places is but what is clear is there a link. Sinn Fein may not give comands to the IRA but the IRA is certinally represented by Sinn Fein. I as a British person am sick and tired of the killings and the fighting and want the people doing this to be delt with as the criminals which they are. Sinn Fein made promises in the good friday agreement which are yet to be fullfilled even though the dead line has passed in turn the british and irish government has relsed the prisioners and come good on there promises.

I personally think that Sinn Fein to be reconised as a political party is a joke and any party associated with terrorits (this is what they are they are simply terrorists no better than the taliban) should be cast from power until they provide all information and renounce involvment.

The government are to blame they have let them become respectful they should hunt these people down like the dogs they are.

Oh and jersey devil we get fox news as well im sure there are regional diffrences as there are in england which has the most variable people in the world. i have been to florida lol. In england partically it is the culture to not shout and boast and be reseved about achivements and to a point not be so nationalistic (it is only when footies on you can tell you are in england or see an england flag this is the reason we love it so much only time the country comes together behind the mighty becks)

Last edited by Sween : 07-24-2002 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:50 PM   #173
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Aw man. JD, you should know by now that I don't dislike Americans, nor do I have an anti thing going on with the people. What I do have against the US, is levelled towards the powers that be (Nicaragua, anyone?), not the people. And yes, it is good that Bush has disassociated himself and the US from the Airstrikes. I only hope that it does not get worse. And I fear that Sween is right, western intervention WILL NOT sort out the problems over there. And the hatred they have for each other predated the colonial muck-up, I'm afraid. That land has been in dispute since time immemorial.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:36 PM   #174
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Aw man. JD, you should know by now that I don't dislike Americans, nor do I have an anti thing going on with the people. What I do have against the US, is levelled towards the powers that be (Nicaragua, anyone?), not the people. And yes, it is good that Bush has disassociated himself and the US from the Airstrikes. I only hope that it does not get worse. And I fear that Sween is right, western intervention WILL NOT sort out the problems over there. And the hatred they have for each other predated the colonial muck-up, I'm afraid. That land has been in dispute since time immemorial.
Okay - where did i say anything about you in the latest posts?

And I agree - the problems in the middle east go back 100's if not 1000's of years. I can guarantee one thing though - if the US threw up it's arms in disgust - and said "kill yourselves if you want or make peace - we don't care" The world would be criticizing the US for not "being there".

Concerning the airstrikes - I still think they were wrong - even though some people today were saying that they supported them. (supporting the airstrike not the innocent deaths) It was pointed out that if Osama Bin Ladin was in an apartment hiding out - that we would do the same thing. And we may. I would hope that we would do something a little bit different to avoid innocent deaths.

However I feel no sorrow for people that were harboring the Hamas leader. They knew what they were doing, getting into and supporting - it's the people around that I feel sorry for. The people that may not even have known he was there or couldn't do nothing about him being there.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-24-2002, 07:37 PM   #175
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I don't support any Terrorist groups whether they are anti-Britain or anti-American etc, it's disguisting when innocent life is taken in the name of their cause and then it's passed off as a celebration or a military action when it actually is murder. I see glorification of terrorism everyday in Northern Ireland, I suppose you have to be pretty hateful to support these groups, however you see it.

Quote:
Sinn fein are well known to be linked with the IRA and this is a fact people cannot get away from.
I know Sinn Fein are linked to the IRA, I don't know what that link is, some of their members are actual ex-IRA men and Women, such as the 2nd leader Martin McGuiness and perhaps even the leader of the party was even an ex-RA man, he denies that he is but British special forces say he is.

Politics aside, Sinn Fein do have a important part to play in running Northern Ireland, as some members are ministers of Education etc, to remove them could place the government in chaos.

Many people have this idea that Americans think "There are Humans but then there are Americans".
Old 07-24-2002, 08:09 PM   #176
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy

Many people have this idea that Americans think "There are Humans but then there are Americans".
That's not the case at all. I've never thought like that and I've hardly ever met anyone that thought like that. I know that the English think about themselves first - that's one of the reasons they don't use the Euro. France has or tried to pass a law that required all French website to be in only French. In Quebec a store was hit with a heavy fine for having English and French being displayed equally on their signs. French is supposed to be displayed predominately, not equally with English.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-24-2002, 08:38 PM   #177
Sween
im quite stupid

first off there are a lot of good reasons we have not yet joined the euro (yet been the opertaive word as we will in a few years times it inevatble no matter what retoric the conseravtives come up with). Indeed our government does put itself first on matters of economics just the way it has to be. One of the reasons that Britian did not join the euro was that we have a much stronger economy than the rest of europe (germany was pratically in a ression) and for us to join we would be taking on all europes problems and devaluing our money. second the english rightly so have a thing about handing over control to the central bank in germany. there is also the old english keep the queen nonsence (we would keep the queen anyway people seem to forget).

But the 5 tests seem to of been met and i would expect a referendum in the next year or so on the euro. The government does not want to really deal with this issue as it will lose them voters either way they go. The british government has a habbit of buring its head in the sand rather than face up to domestic issues which is a shame. its old tony 'im a coward' blair
Old 07-24-2002, 08:46 PM   #178
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
first off there are a lot of good reasons we have not yet joined the euro (yet been the opertaive word as we will in a few years times it inevatble no matter what retoric the conseravtives come up with). Indeed our government does put itself first on matters of economics just the way it has to be. One of the reasons that Britian did not join the euro was that we have a much stronger economy than the rest of europe (germany was pratically in a ression) and for us to join we would be taking on all europes problems and devaluing our money. second the english rightly so have a thing about handing over control to the central bank in germany. there is also the old english keep the queen nonsence (we would keep the queen anyway people seem to forget).

But the 5 tests seem to of been met and i would expect a referendum in the next year or so on the euro. The government does not want to really deal with this issue as it will lose them voters either way they go. The british government has a habbit of buring its head in the sand rather than face up to domestic issues which is a shame. its old tony 'im a coward' blair
I don't disagree with England not going with the Euro. I knew the reasons. I was just saying that as an example of other countries looking after their self interests. All countries do it - if the government didn't do it then people would vote the politicians out of office.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-24-2002, 09:34 PM   #179
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Come back! Come back! To America we will take you!

Old 07-24-2002, 09:38 PM   #180
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Come back! Come back! To America we will take you!

The spoiler code is NOT to be used that way. We ARE NOT mordor. And don't take my favorite line in the movie and ruin it like Jackson did. Oh wait - he didn't just RUIN it - he left it out completely!!!!!!

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread