Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2003, 06:29 PM   #141
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Bah, we all know that Finrod was a pansy, and that Feanor was ruggedly good looking. Finarfin? You mean the one that cowardly stayed behind?
Bop bop bop bop!

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:21 AM   #142
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I'm afraid I have to say it again: Gil-Galad was the best (maybe except Finrod who had also courage).
Old 02-12-2003, 03:07 PM   #143
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

My favourite elf kings is Fingolfin. He had the guts to go the Morgoth and challange him in one on one combat and put up a good fight. Also he was a good leader.
Allthough i i do like Finrod and Feanor.
Lord Manafirogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:55 PM   #144
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Manafirogh
My favourite elf kings is Fingolfin. He had the guts to go the Morgoth and challange him in one on one combat and put up a good fight. Also he was a good leader.
You have chosen wisely
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 02:00 AM   #145
Ulmo
Enting

Thingol - so [deservedly] arrogant...
Quote:
In Beleriand King Thingol upon his throne was as the lords of the Maiar, whose power is at rest, whose joy is as an air that they breathe in all their days, whose thought flows in a tide untroubled from the heights to the deeps.
Quote:
But Beren being filled with dread, for the splendour of Menegroth and the majesty of Thingol were very great, answered nothing.
Quote:
His people gathered about him in joy, and they were amazed; for fair and noble as he had been, now he appeared as it were a lord of the Maiar, his hair as grey silver, tallest of all the Children of Ilúvatar;

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.

Last edited by Ulmo : 02-13-2003 at 02:01 AM.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:39 AM   #146
Melkor's significant othe
Hobbit

I've said it before - but repetition seems to be prevalent on this post - so once again it's FINGOLFIN who was tops. Proudest and most Valiant of the Kings. If there was ever a film of the Sil then the episode were Fingolfin jumps on Rochallor (sp?) and thunders accross anfauglith would be phenomenal! His eyes burning with the light of the Valar as all fled in amaze thinking him Orome......incredible!
Melkor's significant othe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:26 PM   #147
celeb-galad
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
No way! Feanor is an awesome elf...he embodies everything that an elf could be!
You mean that Elves are supposed to be arrogant, stubborn and somewhat stupid? Awwww....you just ruined everything for me!
celeb-galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:53 PM   #148
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by celeb-galad
You mean that Elves are supposed to be arrogant, stubborn and somewhat stupid? Awwww....you just ruined everything for me!
I mean that Feanor was the greatest of the noldor....he possesed more skill and talent than any of them...he could have done really great things but Melkor came into the picture and ruined everything
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 03:07 PM   #149
Ulmo
Enting

Potential doesn't mean much if it's not utilized in its fullest capacity - makes one looks quite foolish in the worse cases of such. (Re: Feanor)

What good is all the talent and skill in the world to one if said person's stupidity causes the world to fall?

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.

Last edited by Ulmo : 02-14-2003 at 03:10 PM.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:45 PM   #150
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Well, cause the world to fall is a very strong thing to say.
But look at it from his point of view (and have in mind that he had a great temper):
His father, whom he had loved above all else in the world was killed, the Silmarilli, who were on 2nd place after his father was stolen, his mother was dead, and the enemy who had killed his father and stolen the Silmarilli had fled to a land far away...
Old 02-14-2003, 11:11 PM   #151
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Melkor's significant othe
I've said it before - but repetition seems to be prevalent on this post - so once again it's FINGOLFIN who was tops. Proudest and most Valiant of the Kings. If there was ever a film of the Sil then the episode were Fingolfin jumps on Rochallor (sp?) and thunders accross anfauglith would be phenomenal! His eyes burning with the light of the Valar as all fled in amaze thinking him Orome......incredible!
Agreed! Finwë Ñolofinwë kicks major bootay! (that's Fingolfin if you couldn't figure it out)
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 10:11 AM   #152
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
What good is all the talent and skill in the world to one if said person's stupidity causes the world to fall?
In the Case of Fëanor, it is WRONG to say that his actions caused the world to fall, on the contrary, it was the best thing that could have happened to Arda.
From Morgoth's Ring: Myths Transformed
Quote:
If we consider the situation after the escape of Morgoth and the reestablishment of his abode in Middle-earth, we shall see that the heroic Noldor were the best possible weapon with which to keep Morgoth at bay, virtually besieged, and at any rate fully occupied, on the northern fringe of Middle-earth, without provoking him to a frenzy of nihilistic destruction. And in the meanwhile, Men, or the best elements in Mankind, shaking off his shadow, came into contact with a people who had actually seen and experienced the Blessed Realm.
The last intervention with physical force by the Valar, ending in the breaking of Thangorodrim, may then be viewed as not in fact reluctant or even unduly delayed, but timed with precision. The intervention came before the annihilation of the Eldar and the Edain. Morgoth though locally triumphant had neglected most of Middle-earth during the war; and by it he had in fact been weakened: in power and prestige (he had lost and failed to recover one of the Silmarils), and above all in mind. He had become absorbed in 'kingship', and though a tyrant of ogre-size and monstrous power, this was a vast fall even from his former wickedness of hate, and his terrible nihilism. He had fallen to like being a tyrant-king with conquered slaves, and vast obedient armies.
And why were the Ñoldor in ME in the first place?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:47 PM   #153
Hornblower
Sapling

Thingol
Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 08:24 PM   #154
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hornblower
Thingol
OMG, don't get on the bad side of the moderator.

Welcome to Entmoot.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-16-2003, 05:42 AM   #155
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Is it possible that the two of us have once the same opinion, Sister Golden Hair? We both don't like Thingol.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #156
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Is it possible that the two of us have once the same opinion, Sister Golden Hair? We both don't like Thingol.
You are 100% right. We finally agree.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-19-2003, 06:18 PM   #157
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Thingol isn't too bad, he just takes the overprotective daddy thing a little too far. He's not my favorite elf king, but I'd take him over Feanor any day. After all, there must have been something good in him for a Maia to fall in love with him, right?
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:59 PM   #158
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
After all, there must have been something good in him for a Maia to fall in love with him, right?
Even the Maiar were not perfect.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-19-2003, 10:07 PM   #159
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Turgon! Gondolin rules.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #160
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Even the Maiar were not perfect.
What about Luthien? Surely she can't haven't taken after her mother completely? Thingol wasn't the best King but he certainly wasn't the worst. Although, I wish he would've kept the name Elwe. Maybe that's what happened, he was a good character when he was named Elwe and then he took on the really strange sounding name of Thingol and his character turned into that over stubborn, miser we all hate so much.

As for Turgon.... I love his city but I don't really like him. He could of save a whole lot of lives, including his own if he had heeded Ulmo's advice. Instead he ignored it and bad things happened.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 02-21-2003 at 09:59 PM.
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote