FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #141
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Well, well, well, I see the sense of humor has been abandoned after all!
No, I just can't tell when you're joking Inked! I'm afraid our respective senses of humour miss each other a lot. But no worries. (Googling "teh" was a joke on my part...)

Inked's post #4300 which got buried:
Quote:
The marriage thread for that whole area, if you are interested, under general messages.

I don't think the non-traditional view has any relevance.

I think arguments from lack of data are just that. We do not know the source of homosexual orietation or heterosexual orientation. Social construct arguments can be validated.

To be truly confusing, brownjenkins contends that society is the arbiter of morals, but contends that this area of society in regard to prohibition is wrong. Go figure.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #142
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
See my 4300#.
I fail to see why your #4300 is a relevant answer to my #4298

Here is the part of my #4298 that is relevant to the present discussion and that I don't think your #4300 addresses at all
Quote:
I don't know whether sexual orientation is nature or nurture or both, but I know that my orientation was already fixed at puberty [...]. As you seem to agree with me, I still had three choices of acts: same-sex, different-sex, celibacy. You seem to call this a choice and we agree on that. I agree that the choice to act (or not to act) upon one's orientation is a choice.
But I did not have any expectation to enjoy the three choices equally. My point is that I did not choose to enjoy more same-sex acts than different-sex acts, that was exogenously determined. That is what I say is not a choice. You seem to agree on that, but I would like to see a clearer statement.
(emphasis added)

Last edited by The Wizard from Milan : 03-02-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #143
inked
Elf Lord

TWFM

alas, there was your 4302

my 4309

your 4325 and 4333

my 4354 and 4355

etc, etc, etc
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 03-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #144
inked
Elf Lord

aaarrrgggghhhhhh!

Computers!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 03-02-2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 03-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #145
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
TWFM

alas, there was your 4302

my 4309

your 4325 and 4333

my 4354 and 4355

etc, etc, etc
No doubt there were, but they followed other parts of the discussion. I consider my point that homosexuality (and bisexuality) is an orientation and not a choice established until that point is specifically rebutted.
The fact that we discussed other points in the subsequent posts does not impact the point on orientation at all
Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #146
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
IRex I hope you don't do that search. There have been enough non-inflammatory examples to debunk the argument anyway.
you clearly missed my point that such a search is meaningless. And since you gave me a mean bossy face I went ahead and did it after all. And I got 4.27 million completely useless hits. Just to be fair, "christian" and "love" gives over 18 million. So dont give me your scolding speeches thanks.

Oh and Im very disapointed. I only got 791 when I plugged in "dog" and "tightrope" and "tractor".

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 03-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #147
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
No doubt there were, but they followed other parts of the discussion. I consider my point that homosexuality (and bisexuality) is an orientation and not a choice established until that point is specifically rebutted.
The fact that we discussed other points in the subsequent posts does not impact the point on orientation at all

I consider the absence of evidence to constitute that rebuttal. You may believe as you will in the face of the evidence or in the lack of the evidence.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #148
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Lol, that was my point Chrys and Em!
I assumed it was Just having fun here!

My DA page
Old 03-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #149
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I consider the absence of evidence to constitute that rebuttal. You may believe as you will in the face of the evidence or in the lack of the evidence.
Lack of evidence for what? Are you purporting that there is lack of evidence that I am attracted to men?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #150
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
you clearly missed my point that such a search is meaningless. And since you gave me a mean bossy face I went ahead and did it after all. And I got 4.27 million completely useless hits. Just to be fair, "christian" and "love" gives over 18 million. So dont give me your scolding speeches thanks.
Right, I'm sure you initially selected "Christian" and "hate" purely for research purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Oh and Im very disapointed. I only got 791 when I plugged in "dog" and "tightrope" and "tractor".

Quote:
Lack of evidence for what? Are you purporting that there is lack of evidence that I am attracted to men?
I think he might have meant a lack of evidence that being gay is a choice. There actually is loads of evidence. Ask a random gay person if they chose to be gay. If they say no (or yes), why would you disbelieve them?

I think we also have sufficient evidence that you are attracted to men...

I just had this bizarre mental image of Mission Impossible 2... with all the masks...

Random person: Haha, I'm not really gay! *pulls off mask* I'm straight!
Random person's date: Well I'm not really straight! *pulls off mask* I'm gay! Bwahaha.
RP: Oh yeah... *pulls off another mask*
etc.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 03-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #151
Embladyne

Quote:
Are you purporting that there is lack of evidence that I am attracted to men?
"You just haven't met the right girl!"

(I hope you know I'm sarcastic here. I hate that phrase. Passionately.)

My DA page
Old 03-04-2005, 02:44 AM   #152
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
"You just haven't met the right girl!"

(I hope you know I'm sarcastic here. I hate that phrase. Passionately.)
Indeed I haven't. It seems I have met a John, a Matt, a David, a Brad... that are quite right for me though
Old 03-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #153
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, how is the CDC data good for teen abstinence (#303 - 305) and not good for my stuff on the GLBT thread (#4222) ? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by inked : 03-04-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #154
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

No one disagreed with the data presented about crystal meth use causing a rise in HIV transmission. Thats a no brainer. The issue was the point in posting the article to attack that god awful "gay lifestyle". Thats what people took issue with.

And by the way youll note that the CDC was mentioned in my article (most prominantly) because they CENSORED their OWN studies that showed that proper sex education was a useful tool in combatting pregnancy and STD spread among teens. I mean how attrocious is that. Lets not give kids life saving information because the Bush administration doesnt like how the facts work out...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 03-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #155
inked
Elf Lord

I was not attacking the gay lifestyle, merely pointing out certain risks having been identified with specific behaviours per the CDC data .

If the CDC restricted this data for MSM and drug-users for the allegations that displaying it brought, would you be condemning them for their silence?

The data are impartial. They say what is. That's true for heterosexuals and homosexuals and the behaviours of each group, the use or non-use of condoms, the use or non-use of drugs, etc.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #156
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

there's that phrase again, what is this "gay lifestyle" i keep hearing about?
I really take issue with that phrase
Old 03-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #157
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm with you on that one Chrys.

Quote:
The data are impartial. They say what is. That's true for heterosexuals and homosexuals and the behaviours of each group, the use or non-use of condoms, the use or non-use of drugs, etc.
Data is impartial, but conclusions are not. That's what I, and others perhaps, were really taking issue with.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I thought you were trying to use the data to show that homosexuality is harmful. It's this conclusion that bothers me, but sorry if you didn't reach that conclusion. You do get jumped on a lot, I wouldn't want to do it unfairly.
Quote:
Old 03-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #158
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
there's that phrase again, what is this "gay lifestyle" i keep hearing about?
I really take issue with that phrase
Yeah, me too, for reasons I've previously and clearly stated.

My DA page
Old 03-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #159
inked
Elf Lord

Well, IR said gay lifestyle.

So, if the opinion is that there is no such ting as a gay lifestyle that is because:
a) you find the term denigratory;
b) you think that there is no difference between gay and straight people;
c) you think that there is no significance to which orifices are used for sex;
d) you think that all the acronyms (e.g., MSM - men who have sex with men,
WSW - women who have sex with women, etc) are preferable;
e) you think that the term gay lifestyle is discriminatory;
f) grouping people by behavior is intrinsically wrong morally no matter how
effective it may be in monitoring behavior and effects/affects?

I fail to see the opposition to gay lifestyle as a descriptor as valid. And, as I have quoted afore, it does define behavioral consistencies remarkable over about 50 yrs of documented research.

What do you suggest as an alternative to descriptive language?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:33 PM   #160
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Well, IR said gay lifestyle.
You see, inked, it all depends on how you say "gay lifestyle".
If you imply that being gay is a lifestyle, then the expression "gay lifestyle" is criticizable. If you use "gay lifestyle" as a synonim for lewd, then the expression is criticizable.
On the other hand, if I say "the gay lifestyle includes more fruits and vegetables than the average american's lifestyle", then it is fine.
It is not the word per se that matter, it is the meaning given to it by the person saying it.
It is not the fingers with which "gay lifestyle" is typed that matter; it is the heart with which "gay lifestyle" is typed that matters.
When you write "gay lifestyle" do you mean to say that gay people's love for each other is Good? If so, than I don't think that the actual choice of words matters that much

Last edited by The Wizard from Milan : 03-05-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Closed Thread