Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 01:44 PM   #141
merry linger

Re: what are you reading right now?

gday i read the thomas covenant series from go to wo over summer (southern hemisphere). I found the first half of the first book amazing but i have to say it was all downhill from there. Why did i keep reading? because it sucked me in!! even though in general i thought it was pretty trashy.

i must say the only real decent series i've read besides tolkien of course is the tad williams books - Of Memory, sorrow and thorn. Another good read is Marion Zimmer bradley's mists of avalon but her other books don't match up to the quality of this one....

happy reading

Old 07-02-2001, 07:46 PM   #142
juntel

Re: what are you reading right now?

Hmmm...

Illearth War is, for me, the best of all the six books, followed of course by Power That Preserves.

In general, I find the first trilogy more enjoyable than the second.

Old 07-02-2001, 11:48 PM   #143
easterlinge

Tom Swift and his Thing

I downloaded a text of one of the "Tom Swift and his .....) books from the Gutenberg Project. Have to say I find the book oddly and funnily naive.

The Government was something to be trusted in those days, there were foreign cover up operations but the Govt was something to be absolutely trusted in. And it kept referring to Tom's friends as "chums"..... aaagghhkkkk.

Also reading Herodotus' History of Egypt.

Old 08-03-2001, 03:31 AM   #144
Theodred21

Re: Tom Swift and his Thing

I'm almost done with Tales from Watership Down, the sequel to Watership Down!

Old 08-03-2001, 06:45 AM   #145
Manwe Sulimo

I'm reading Harry Potter right now... The prisoner of Azkaban, I think it's called... great book, really...

Old 08-03-2001, 01:13 PM   #146
anduin

Theodred.....There's a sequel to Watership Down?! I had no idea. How is it, is it as good? What's it about?

Manwe.....I just finished the first Potter book, and I'm getting ready to start the second one. What did you think of the second one? Of the ones that you have read already, which one do you think is the best?

Old 08-03-2001, 02:00 PM   #147
IronParrot

IP update: After having finished The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan and The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende, I am now about halfway through Book 2 of WoT, The Great Hunt.

Old 08-03-2001, 03:08 PM   #148
Theodred21

The Sequel to Watership Down is called Tales From Watership Down, it contains Three sections: The first two involving stories of El-ahrairah, and the third involving several short stories about the rabbits of Watership Down!
I thought it was pretty good, though you can't beat the original!
I also read the Harry Potter series, I I think that The second one is the scariest one! I don't want to be a *spoiler* so I won't talk about it!

Old 08-03-2001, 08:01 PM   #149
anduin

Cool, thanks for the info!

And thanks for not spoiling.....I would have had to ban you. Can't wait now to start #2.

Old 08-03-2001, 11:16 PM   #150
webwizard333

Regeneration by Pat Barker. Rather interesting, about a man in WW1 who refuses to fight and is taken to a military mental hospital. I won't go into the details right now, but when I'm finished I'll make a thread about it.

By the way, on the back was a review from the New York Times Book Review which supports my theory the reviewers themselves don't know what they're talking about (this theory began upon reading a review of J. R. R. Tolkien filled to the brim with ****-for example it called Smaug's sarcasm an admirable trait). It says, "A NOVEL THAT MAKES THE MADNESS OF WAR MORE THAN A METAPHOR". War is not a metaphor! If it is, what the heck is it a metaphor for?! Possibly they liked the novel so much because it accurately describes what must be their very long stays at asylums.

Old 08-04-2001, 01:21 AM   #151
Theodred21

Finished Tales from Watership Down, it was a good book!
Starting Wild Trek by Jim Kjelgaard!

Old 08-04-2001, 01:25 AM   #152
Manwe Sulimo

anduin: I read the first a long time ago, and is halfway throught the third one... they are all great, I won't choose one as my favorite...

IP: Great books, aren't they? Read the entire series twice(WoT), mainly cause I was bored and looking for something to read, and found them again, but never the less, they are great books!

Old 08-17-2001, 12:35 AM   #153
Varda
Elven Warrior

woooow this is a long thread.... I am reading The Silmarillion .
Old 08-17-2001, 07:37 AM   #154
poppy
Hobbit

what are you reading

hay Varda im trying the sills too and finding it a hard slogg ive had a go at it 5 times in the last two years bit i will get there. I still dont think you can beat the hobbit for a truely entertaining read.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:49 PM   #155
webwizard333
Elf Lord

That's right, the Hobbit is the best!

Right now I'm on a muder mystery called "The Nine Tailors".
Old 08-18-2001, 03:35 PM   #156
poppy
Hobbit

what you reading now

ive got to be in the mood for murder novels but i do like Steven King, and Dean Koontz.
Old 08-18-2001, 07:22 PM   #157
Varda
Elven Warrior

This is my first time through The Silmarillion. I'd have to say it is difficult at first. It really reads like a history book, so it ends up being one of those books where you read a couple pages without really paying attention to what you have just read (at least for me). I'll probably end up rereading it a few times. And so many different names and all... makes it hard to keep track of. Yet I think it's well worth it. Once you get past the writing style being different, I think it really is more satisfying than The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings . But that's just my opinion.
Old 08-19-2001, 08:44 AM   #158
poppy
Hobbit

what are you reading now

I Know what you mean about not paying attension when reading a few pages that is generally why i have to go right back to the begging, but i'll definately try harder now i've just read what you have written
Old 08-19-2001, 03:42 PM   #159
Varda
Elven Warrior

well now i am done with that book, and I am rereading The Chronicles of Narnia to give my brain a rest. I read over 70 pages in under an hour, and I am a slow reader. But it's easy when I've read it like 3 times or more, and seen both the animated and live action movies many many many times...... sooo yeah... fun's fun... ta ta!
Old 08-20-2001, 07:11 AM   #160
poppy
Hobbit

Do you not find when you come to reread a book you find things in the story that you missed first time round. Ive just finished Steven Kings The Stand, and now ive just found out there's an uncut editors version so off we go again.
Closed Thread