Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #141
inked
Elf Lord

Existentialism: the rationalization, if you can be bothered, about what you do, what you plan to do, and what you have done. Note that you are the arbiter of all. Of course, with 6+ billion you's in the world, it gets a bit, shall we say, anarchic, chaotic, and messy.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #142
katya
Elven Maiden

I think about that sometimes, the capitalization thing. Guess I better just keep working on my German skills. Because hey, if you can't hardly read something in your native language, better try reading it in a new language.

Also, I guess that lecture that I had so much trouble with of Jaspers' was from his book "Reason and Existence", if that helps at all.

Last edited by katya : 01-24-2011 at 09:35 PM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #143
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

My middle/junior high school gave students a fairly good education in logic and rhetoric. In the first few years I remember reading Aristotle's Prior Analytics and Plato's The Last Days of Socrates and The Five Dialogues; discussing their basic arguments and reasoning. The last few years we studied Isaac Watts' Logic in addition to symbolic logic. Honestly, the symbolic logic was the most enjoyable-probably because I am more mathematically oriented. I don't know if you've ever worked with syllogisms, but they're quite fun and it's very interesting to plot out arguments. As for Watts, he seemed to be quite the racist but a very smart and clear-minded man. It would seem impossible to write a book extensively covering logic and rhetoric without becoming completely unorganized among rabbit trails--but he did.

We covered a lot in those years-theoretical, practical, and logical philosophy, inductive/deductive logic, formal/informal, and the modes of argument, knowledge and being. I loved the subject and plan on continuing study of it in college.

Anyone currently studying logic in college? What are the classes like?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 01-25-2011 at 12:33 AM.
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #144
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
The Five Dialogues
Which five?

I did Aristotelian logic in my undergrad. It was fun, but I wonder now how truly philosophical logic is.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 01-25-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #145
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Which five?
I should have thought to specify! The book is called The Five Dialogues-it's a compilation of Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno and Phaedo.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #146
katya
Elven Maiden

I haven't taken logic classes myself, but my boyfriend has, and it sounds kind of horrible. But I've been meaning to take a look at his textbook anyhow, just to see. I've only taken one proper philosophy class, which was a history of western philosophy from Descartes and up to the late 1800's. Reading actual philosophers is kind of a new thing for me, though I've read my fair share of eastern philosophy.

I made it through (with my life barely intact) Jaspers and Heidegger in the book I'm reading, got to read "The Wall" by Sartre, which was actually quite enjoyable for a change. Right after I finished it I overheard a teacher saying that one of the pigs at home was having babies but they were all "rotten", and it gave me a very strange feeling that lasted a good minute or two. A feeling I can't quite recapture now.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #147
Gwaimir Windgem

Have you read Sartre's L'Etranger? It's very much on my to-read list.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #148
katya
Elven Maiden

Well, I read Camus' L'Etranger. It's very much on my favorites list. I did come across some novels by Sartre in the library a while back though, and if they had had the first in the series of them I probably would have checked it out.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #149
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Have you read Sartre's L'Etranger? It's very much on my to-read list.
Umm, isn't that by Camus? Another of those I read so many years ago.

And of course, it was on George Bush's reading list as well, supposedly recommended by Laura.

Cruel liberal joke: George sees Laura reading it and asks what it's about.
"Well." she says. "it's about this guy who kills an Arab...."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #150
inked
Elf Lord

Based on Camus, why shouldn't it be an Arab? Would it matter if it were? Or, for that matter, if it were Chinese?

Or did I miss Camus' whole point?

(Although I got the joke!)
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #151
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Well, I read Camus' L'Etranger.
*facepalm* Yuss. That's the one I meant.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle