Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #141
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Easier sure, but much less fun! (Don't you speak Swedish JD?)
I have several books on it. I would NOT call it being anywhere near being able to speak it. Also - Swedish is DEFINTELY a language you need to sit down with someone to learn I think.

Quote:
EDIT:
Jon doesn't need to pick me up! (We don't really know each other that well anyway, and hey, this is his time to be with his family, not some random Mooter. The hostel is walking distance from the train and bus stations anyway, and if I end up flying standy I'll take the Arlanda express into town.)
Oh - but if he was nice he would pick you up. I drove all the way to LaGuardia to pick up Ruinel and her friend when they flew back from Europe and then drove them to Kennedy. Then Ruinel and I had a quick lunch - then it was an hour and half back to my place. But hey - that's just the kind of guy I am. Oh yeah - i know what it is - Jonathan isn't as nice as me. It was really to meet ruinel - it would have been cool if she could have stayed, but then later she had driven up and spent the weekend in October.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #142
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I am now inpsired to start a new thread. (Since what I was about to say wasn't even close to a vent.)

Erm, to wrap up my ealier vent. Well, we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Fingers crossed guys!

(Jonathan is so a nice guy! I just don't tend to blend real life with my internet friends. That's what the new thread will be about...)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #143
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
(Jonathan is so a nice guy! I just don't tend to blend real life with my internet friends. That's what the new thread will be about...)
Well then - see you there at the new thread.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-27-2005 at 05:42 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 03-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #144
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Well sweden doesn't have much time - since it's so far north. It's basically like Alaska - however we have a choose here as to whether we wish to be coming home at dark or not.
It's basically like Canada then . So I guess Nurv is pretty used to the darkness up north

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
As I told RtB - it wold make it so much easier if everyone just spoke English. And as I discussed with Jonathan - Swedish is sort of a living dead language. Most Swedes speak English and basically only roughly 12 million people speak Swedish (9 million being sweden itself)
A living dead language? Wth? There are thousands of small languages that are on the brink of disappearing completely. From that perspective, Swedish is actually one of the biggest languages in the world. In Europe alone there are several smaller countries and their languages aren't dead either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devleyjersil
Oh - but if he was nice he would pick you up. I drove all the way to LaGuardia to pick up Ruinel and her friend when they flew back from Europe and then drove them to Kennedy.
I could have offered to pick Nurv up if it wasn't for two things:
First, Umeå is just too far away! C'mon JD, LaGuardia is like a hundred kilometres from your place, takes you an hour or two to get there. Umeå is like 7 times that distance! Second, I don't have a car
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:03 PM   #145
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
A living dead language? Wth? There are thousands of small languages that are on the brink of disappearing completely. From that perspective, Swedish is actually one of the biggest languages in the world. In Europe alone there are several smaller countries and their languages aren't dead either.
You kepp telling yourself it's one of the biggest languages in the world - maybe next to croatian.
Quote:
I could have offered to pick Nurv up if it wasn't for two things:
First, Umeå is just too far away! C'mon JD, LaGuardia is like a hundred kilometres from your place, takes you an hour or two to get there. Umeå is like 7 times that distance! Second, I don't have a car
You have an excuse for everything - don't you? And I'll have you know - it took me an hour and half to get there and then another hour and half back. Thatw as more time in the car - than actually spending with ruinel - but we did have a nice lunch.

But at least you will get her coffee.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #146
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm going to go bump the languages thread so we can talk about Swedish more.

But sorry Jonathan, I didn't end up going to Stockholm. Otherwise I would have loved to have a fika with you.

I did try again today, but there were no trains and the only available bus was the night bus. I decided that I didn't want to take the night bus, or try to get a standby flight.

This part of the vent is more than travel-related... but I've just been so tired recently. I think in an alternate universe where I was at 100% energy, I would have made it today. But this is just not the case. I'm tired of being tired and a bit depressed. Maybe, for the first time in two years I should take a vacation where I'm not trying to do something else. I've had some good holidays, but going backwards they have been...

Christmas break. For some reason it was an absolutely huge effort to do this, but I don't understand why. I had a great time and met some very lovely people, and got to see some other very lovely people I hadn't seen in a while. But I didn't really relax, per se.

One week off (last week of August) right before exchange in which I left my summer job, wrapped that up, drove 1200km diagonally accross BC with my boyfriend, staying with him for a few days, then carrying on to my home town where I packed and attempted to get my crap together for exchange. (This endeavor was moderately successful.)

One week off in the middle of the summer to go to one of my best friend's wedding. It was truly wonderful, and I had a great time. But it was definitely not relaxing. I had never been to a wedding before and I didn't understand a lot of the small things that really do make a difference. I also spent a lot of time worrying I'd screw something up (I was the maid of honour and really hadn't the slightest clue what I was doing). Of course, I didn't screw anything up. The wedding was awesome. And the bride and groom (also a great friend of mine) were so cool and relaxed (more or less) that they certainly put me at ease with their very presence. (I know it wasn't easy for them but neither of them tend to show that they're stressed even though I know they were in this case.)

Christmas break 2003. I actually did relax, but it felt too short. Plus the Greyhound got stuck and it ended taking over 9 hours to go back. Driving, the trip takes 5 1/2 hours.

August 2003. This was my last real vacation. Maybe I'm spoiled and used to long vacations, but this one was truly great. After I had finished doing chemistry over (I did brilliantly too, that felt good), I just had time to relax. I don't even remember what I did. It doesn't matter though. It was wonderful. And even chemistry wasn't too stressful. They weren't trying to weed us out anymore, so the level of difficulty was more reasonable. It wasn't easy, but it was humanely possible. Plus, I had already passed the godawful lab, so I didn't have to take that again. Needless to say, my whole summer was pretty great. That was a year and a half ago.

I'm doing calculus over this summer. Those good times will come again.

But in the meantime I have a serious problem to deal with. I've never put so much personal information on a message board, but what better place than here? I realized that the more depressed I get, the more time I spend on the internet. *looks at post count* *shifty eyes* Yeeeeaaaahhhhh.........

I wanted to go to Stockholm because it's the capital, one of the three largest cities in Sweden, full of exiting cultural things, and an all-around great place to visit. I also wanted to go because in addition to letting depression run my life, I've also let academics run my life. (The latter, though, is how it should be.) I became very obsessed with my previous exam, even though I still put off studying to procrastinate various ways (usually the computer). Despite my best efforts to do badly, it seemed, I think I actually did a good job.

Maybe I like my on-line life better than my real life right now. Certainly, there are advantages to your internet avatar. In preview mode, I can edit out all the unhappy bits, disappointments, or personality quirks. What's left is a well-written post (more or less), and that is how your internet self is expressed.

Lastly, it's just easier to sit at the computer all day than it is to go out and live real life. I'm so tired right now. I just want to stay in my room all day. I don't want to do anything.

Yesterday, after my failed attempt to catch the bus, I just watched some random movie where Hilary Duff goes to military school. Yeah. It only occured to me this morning that 1. there would be another bus at noon and 2. you can book tickets on-line. Of course you can get bus tickets on-line! Just because the Connex (train company) website it completely useless doesn't mean the Ybuss (bus company) website is! And lo! You could book tickets. But I grasped this concept too late to get a ticket. Maybe it's just as well I'm not going to Stockholm. I would still be bringing my problems with me.

Now my roommates must think I'm this odd recluse. Oh well. I really need to go outside or something. (Except with all this running around for trying to go to Stockholm, I actually have gotten a lot of excercise in the past 2 days. Maybe I'll keep a good thing going here. I used to play a lot of sports, and one of the reasons I haven't been sleeping well is because my body thinks "Bah, you didn't do anything today. You aren't tired" and my mind thinks "Of course you need sleep, it's 2am! But hey, I'm not tired either..." and then I lie awake for 2 hours thinking of all manner of things.)

Well, it seems real life "Nurvingiel" has escaped into the internet. But I really have to stop doing that, and go deal with my problems in the real world.

I think this qualifies as a serious TMI (Too Much Information!)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 03-28-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #147
Jonathan

Sorry to hear that Nurv, you would have loved Stockholm I'm sure.
I guess we'll just have to postpone the fika a bit. When you come to Stockholm this summer, maybe we can meet then
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #148
jerseydevil

Nurv -

There can be many reasons you are down right now. The number 1 reason I think is being in a strange country, with no family and friends around. I know you have been away from home before, but to be roughly 7,000 miles away - in a country where the culture, the language and everything is different would make you a bit homesick - even if it's subconscious - especially during the holidays.

The other thing that can be a problem for you is the lack of light. You are in northern Sweden and you get even less light during the winter than Jonathan does. It's a known fact that the lack of light during winter brings people down. I think with the combination of things, you are feeling quite down.

Of course there may be other things you aren't saying in your post. But the ones I mentioned would amplify your depression anyway. I'm very familiar with depression and the desire to want to escape, not to mention the desire to make people think nothing is wrong. The internet is good for that.

I wish you had gone to stockholm - you were looking so forward to it. Jonathan has sent me several books on stockholm and it looks so beautiful. I think it would have been so great for you to get out and go someplace. And I'm sure you would have had a great time getting to talk to Jonathan.

Hang in there.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #149
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well I agree with you about light and the distance. But light, at least, is not a problem now, we have normal-lengthed days again.

My friend came over today and we had a nice cup of tea together. We're going to go to Luleå now instead. I would have liked to go to Stockholm, but I'm still going there at the end of my exchange. Now I get to see Luleå too! I guess it all worked out.

One thinkg I didn't mention in my last post is I have actually been depressed for a while, I have only now realized it. I definitely like making things appear that they're alright - I think that's why I haven't told my parents I was depressed. Also I don't want them to worry about me, even though I know they would say it's their job, and they wouldn't worry unnecessarily. But I'll start small anyway.

Thanks JD.
Quote:
Old 03-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #150
Jonathan

Lack of light... Nurv should be used to it, she's Canadian

Nurv, I hope your friends can make you forget your depression when they return from Finland and whatnot. Besides now you have your trip to Luleå to occupy your mind! When are you going?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #151
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Tomorrow! Wheee! Um... I should go to bed now.

The trouble is though, is I have always found a way to forget being depressed in the past. But really, it's time to deal with whatever is bothering me and get rid of it. My friends will certainly help, if only by simply being my friends. (I have difficulty telling people about this in RL - in fact only my boyfriend knows. However my friends are not morons and I suspect some of them guess.)

Cheerio! I'll tell you about Luleå when I get back!

EDIT:
Hey! I'll have you know I live (along with 90% of the population) in the south of Canada, where there is a lot of light. But the North rules! It rules I tell you. I worked in the north all summer and it was great!
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 03-28-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:22 PM   #152
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

:moothugs: nurvi

enjoy yer trip
Old 03-28-2005, 05:24 PM   #153
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I hope you're feeling better soon, Nurvs - at least now we can chat on MSN!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:59 PM   #154
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i hope you'll feel better soon, nurv.. after i got a computer and the net to my place, i almost lived my whole life there.. except from going to school. after some time i realised that i had to meet some people in my new hometown. and i did - some of them people i had met on the net. i feel better about it now, but i still spend too much time on the net - and i should get some more sleep.

I hope you have a good time in Luleå Nurv, and tell us all about it! *moothug*

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-03-2005, 06:33 AM   #155
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i am really not happy - glastonbury tickets went on sale at 9 am, i managed to get through on the website at 11.30, and all 150,000 are sold out, and it is not on next year i have to wait two years at least
Old 04-03-2005, 06:50 AM   #156
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

i remember the good old days when there was always a friendly neighbourhood Yardie gang with baseball bats and a hole under the fence for £15: then there wa the battle of the beanfield yearwith the second unofficial traveller feStival merging with the main: that was chaos that year, but you could pretty much just walk on in :mind you 10,000 travellers on your side thended to help:
my advice blag it in: do this in advance on don't leave it to the last minute like me: it'll just cause you more hassle when yer gets down there
we'll be looking to take a crew down (in theory at least) and maybe actually set up a shoot as well if possible) - its easy enough if you know what your doing : youve just got to build up a few relationships with the right people at a less suspicious time period before the fest - like now etc

...or... work down there as a stwerad or whatever and bunk off 90% time?

Old 04-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #157
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
i hope you'll feel better soon, nurv.. after i got a computer and the net to my place, i almost lived my whole life there.. except from going to school. after some time i realised that i had to meet some people in my new hometown. and i did - some of them people i had met on the net. i feel better about it now, but i still spend too much time on the net - and i should get some more sleep.

I hope you have a good time in Luleå Nurv, and tell us all about it! *moothug*
That pretty much describes me right now. But that's going to change tomorrow, at least in part, because a new class starts then.

Thanks for the kind wishes Nerdanel, Chrys, R*an, JD, and everyone.

What's Glastonbury Chrys? Sorry you couldn't get a ticket. That stinks.
EDIT: I guess your post was explaining it a bit Butterbeer..?
Quote:
Old 04-03-2005, 07:43 AM   #158
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Glastonbury is like a massive concert that takes place over about a week.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 04-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #159
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

My camera was stolen yesterday.. Stupid as I was, I had it in my pocket, and someone took it when I was on the dancefloor. I don't blame anyone else but me: I shouldn't have had it in my pocket in the first place. But you learn from your mistakes (or so they say)..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #160
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

that is crap, Chrys. Glastonbury is something I would want to be oart of sometimes. But with that pressure I'll guess I have to stick with the Norwegian festival Quart, or Roskilde in Denmark.