FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 AM   #141
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostyia Delr-Padroot
looks interesting. mind if i join? i wouldn't mind being Ale-nail or Flannery or even some one new. if its not to late to join i mean.
It's not too late to join. Especiall if you did play Ale-nail (not that you have to) because no one's playing him yet IIRC. Welcome aboard matey!

If you want to make a new character you can meet the character in two places - in the pub, and the street outside, and near the pub, where there is currently a fairly large street fight as explained by Eärniel.

Wow Willow, glad you could post! Sounds like a totally cool plot, right on. I'm up for it.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #142
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Glad you all approve! It feels good to be posting again, even if it is bad for my shcoolwork...
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 01-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #143
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
It's not too late to join. Especiall if you did play Ale-nail (not that you have to) because no one's playing him yet IIRC. Welcome aboard matey!
Actually, it is for the moment. I took Ale-nail (Aka Alex (my bad..)) out right at the beginning. And I don't want to have anyone else jumping in right now, and making it difficult to control.

BUT, if still interested then I shall make a joining opportunity arise at our next destination, once we've got everyone aboard and the ship fixed. A little patience is all I ask.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #144
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
All right, I have it figured out.

I am a twitchy, scruffy, beggar-like girl of indiscriminate age who is never in one mind, always two or more or none.

I also happen to be your guide(and deck slave or, as I like to call it, "unpaid intern"). Maggie/Willow sent me.

Meet you at the ship.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Old 01-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #145
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt_knome_hobbit
I also happen to be your guide(and deck slave or, as I like to call it, "unpaid intern"). Maggie/Willow sent me.

Meet you at the ship.

Don't expect a warm welcome, m'dear. Don't worry, you won't get hurt or anything, but my, my you have some explaining to do.

P.S. I'm mving back to Swansea tomorrow so am not sure whether I'll be able to post tomorrow. I'll do my best though.

I can fly - my friends.

XK

Last edited by Elfmaster XK : 01-07-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #146
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
Don't expect a warm welcome, m'dear. Don't worry, you won't get hurt or anything, but my, my you have some explaining to do.

P.S. I'm mving back to Swansea tomorrow so am not sure whether I'll be able to post tomorrow. I'll do my best though.
i can see swansea from my front garden sort-a
Old 01-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #147
Elfmaster XK

Okay people. Time out.

As the captain of the ship and the GM of this game I would just like to remind everyone of a few small details.
  • [quoted from Eärniel] Just a reminder (and that goes for everybody), be careful not to make your character too perfect. We tend to poke fun at ourselves (and just as well as anyone around us) a lot in the game.
  • Spelling and grammar, of the good and correct variety, are your friends. Please, if nothing else, make sure that your sentences start with a capital letter and end with a full stop. (Now I’ve said this I expect people to pick on me! But I have to say this; my “o” key, my shift key, my “s” key, and my left ctrl key are all semi-broken. So sorry for any errors.)
  • Now, I asked you nicely. Now this time I’m going to shout. READ THE DISCUSSION THREAD THOROUGHLY! It is important to the game. (I apologise to those who have read every post in this thread.)
  • In accordance with point one: please, don’t over-post. I know we all want to play the game, and confess that I can get over-posty sometimes. But, we want to give people a chance to post, and if it doesn’t make sense for your character to post, then don’t. I have to thank Luthien here, for waiting around on the Nal for us to get back, because she posted once, and that was all that was necessary. On the other hand, if you have a problem with a character not posting for an unreasonable amount of time you can do one of two things: God-mod them a bit so you can escape. OR, contact me and I’ll send someone over to excuse you from the problem. I’ll find a way
  • Nurvy knows what this point is going to be about… OOC’s. Any OOC in the game is a bad one…but some are necessary, I grant you that. But please, no long ones or excessively chatty, that is what this thread is for.
  • Though Willow and Katt have returned to us (good thing) this does not mean we will be winging it off after Willow and Tano right away. Just so you know.
  • Finally. This is a semi-planned RPG. This means you must request to join it. (I know, that sounds so horrible and elitist, but understand that it needs t be a bit controlled to be fun.) You must post a character in the discussion to get approved before you enter the game. I will very rarely say you cannot enter the game at all (except perhaps if Zavron comes back *cringes with old crew*) but request a little patience. That is all. It is not practical for me to have all these people trying to enter at once because it is chaotic and people can get lost in it. I have tried to stagger the entrances, and most have co-operated, for which I am grateful. But I asked Lostyia to hang on a bit, and you have not. The reasons for this I can only assume to be you did not read my post, in this thread. But I asked you for a reason. Sicirus is currently dealing with the entrance of several other characters: Ethuiliel, Gulio, Faligorn, and Roya. She is one person and not everyone can talk at once. As much as the game thread is meant to be fun, it has to make sense and be plausible in its own world. Or am I the only one who thinks that.

I am so sorry I had to rant everyone. I just want the game to be fun for everyone. (I almost never use the sad smilie because it upsets me.)

I expect to get in trouble now
for taking things too seriously.

I can fly - my friends.

XK

Last edited by Elfmaster XK : 01-07-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:10 PM   #148
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
I think you are being very fair, Miss Captian Miss, and (speaking only for me) I have the highest respect for all decisions in this matter.

Or maybe I'm responding like that because I'm already in servant mode.

Interesting character note: Whenever I walk my right heel kicks out about a foot behind me when I pick it up.

This is actually true in really life, the cause of it having something to do with disolving shoes. I still haven't lost the limp. Nevermind.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #149
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
This is a semi-planned RPG. [...] It is not practical for me to have all these people trying to enter at once because it is chaotic and people can get lost in it. I have tried to stagger the entrances, and most have co-operated, for which I am grateful. [....] As much as the game thread is meant to be fun, it has to make sense and be plausible in its own world. Or am I the only one who thinks that.[/list]
People, I'd like to add that we realise this isn't immediatly a common way to steer a RPG. The rules we lay out may seem a little rigorious at times but they there for good reasons. Most games are far more losely played, but those games also die out fairly quick, IMO.

The point is that we intend to play this game a long time, and not let it stumble and grind to a halt before the plot is sufficiently laid out, as so many RPG's sadly enough tend to do. The RPG may know large periods of silence, but it can be picked up again fast afterwards.

We intend to bring this story to the eventual end it deserves. So if you're looking for a short adventure, this may not be the game for you. But if you stick with us, you might find it a really entertaining game.

Since I became a mod here I've seen, and participated in, many RPG's on the Entmoot. But I can still count the games that got wrapped up succesfully on my fingers. Surprisingly, I managed to participate in most of those and they are the most rewarding experiences too.

Games that have a leader, a game master at the helm (no pun intended), last the longest. The point is that you will have to obey certain rules for this game, some will be obvious and frankly to be suspected, others maybe less so. But in return you get a high-quality game that will have some interesting and unexpected turns and twists that will only make the game more enjoyable.

Quote:
I expect to get in trouble now for taking things too seriously.
You won't get any trouble from me, captain. I'm used to and prefer this mode of RPG.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:49 PM   #150
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Games that have a leader, a game master at the helm (no pun intended), last the longest. The point is that you will have to obey certain rules for this game, some will be obvious and frankly to be suspected, others maybe less so. But in return you get a high-quality game that will have some interesting and unexpected turns and twists that will only make the game more enjoyable.
The Lord of the RPGs
Old 01-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #151
Earniel

One RPG to rule them all. Yes. Indeed.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #152
Indril Anarion
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
I am so sorry I had to rant everyone. I just want the game to be fun for everyone. (I almost never use the sad smilie because it upsets me.)

I expect to get in trouble now
for taking things too seriously.
no, no trouble...at least not from me...i like rules, they help keep the game in order and that way everyone gets an equal chance in the game

can't wait to see where the plot is headed
-Gandalf, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody tosses a Dwarf."
- Gimli, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save Ferris!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My true Elven name is Idril Anarion, but I misspelled in the username, and now I can't fix it... Oh, well...now you know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid of death....Be afraid of the unlived life- Tuck Everlasting
Old 01-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #153
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That was awesome Elfmaster. *cough* I'm bad for in game OOCs so I'll stop now. In other RPGs here it's okay, but they are less planned than this one so I can see that they are not necessary. *resists in-game OOC posting*

Must... resist...

And I am a tad over-posty... but no worries there as long as I can curb my verbose urges eh?

In the larger world of RPGing, dice games always have a game master, who is usually much tougher.

And one tiny note on the spelling/formatting... putting effort in this area means your posts will be readable. I can't stress how much I love readable posts. I would love anyone at all who edited a less-than-readable post.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #154
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Erm... I hope I didn't do the wrong thing with my massive amounts of godmodding in my last post (OOCs absent O Captain! ).

I'm confused though... how many people are below now?
Quote:
Old 01-08-2005, 01:28 AM   #155
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

No prob from my POV. Except that I might have chosen to just pick Katt up bodily . Anyway, you, me, Katt, Flannery and Eärniel now appear to be below. Eärniel better show up to the Captain's Cabin or else we're not gonna make the 3 minutes we were told...
Old 01-08-2005, 01:39 AM   #156
Athena
Sapling

RE: Recrutes

undefined
Hello! I was wondering if you were still hireing?
This sounds really exciting!!!
Thanks for reading, bye!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #157
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Moot Athena. Signing on is something to talk to Elfmaster XK about - our captain (in game) and game master. Be sure to read the rules of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
No prob from my POV. Except that I might have chosen to just pick Katt up bodily . Anyway, you, me, Katt, Flannery and Eärniel now appear to be below. Eärniel better show up to the Captain's Cabin or else we're not gonna make the 3 minutes we were told...
Yeah, sorry, I just wanted to advance a tad. I thought Eärniel was already below..? The captain's cabin is below? Which reminds me... what's a basic sort of layout for the ship? Sorry to be anal, but I like picturing roughtly the same thing that everyone else is, and I don't want to say "went from the galley into the forecastle" if we don't actually have one.

EDIT: Having read the game thread that makes a bit more sense now, but perhaps Eärniel or Elfmaster should godmod a bit for us. I don't know about you, but I have no clue what to expect, and we probably shouldn't make our own orders anyway.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-08-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #158
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Yeah, sorry, I just wanted to advance a tad. I thought Eärniel was already below..? The captain's cabin is below? Which reminds me... what's a basic sort of layout for the ship? Sorry to be anal, but I like picturing roughtly the same thing that everyone else is, and I don't want to say "went from the galley into the forecastle" if we don't actually have one.
I was already below. Consider me standing in the corridor when you come down the stairs/ladder. We never really fixed the layout of the inside of the ship. Just like personal looks, it wasn't really important. (Most of us don't know squat about sailing either. ) I think you can say that all the important bits a ship needs, the Nal has them.

Personally I usually tend to regard the ship as a bit magical in the sense that it's a lot bigger on the inside than it normally would be, considering it's a brigantine and I don't think those are that big ships. I usually picture the inside of the boat like this, but then that's just me: when you go below deck you descend a small stairs. You're in a corridor. Imagine nice wooden bulkheads, maybe with a little art-nouveau carving here and there. In the corridors there are doors left and right of you. Those doors lead to the crew's cabins, one of them to the galley. Frankly, I don't I've ever thought about which is which. Next to the stairs, there's a ladder leading to the cargo bay.

Quote:
EDIT: Having read the game thread that makes a bit more sense now, but perhaps Eärniel or Elfmaster should godmod a bit for us. I don't know about you, but I have no clue what to expect, and we probably shouldn't make our own orders anyway.
I gather we would like to question this 'waif'. Since Willow and Tano left with the Wine and since we want to get it, we'll probably will follow any lead we have. The point is that we might not entirely trust Willow and Tano anymore since they did desert us.

Last edited by Earniel : 01-08-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #159
Elfmaster XK

Thanks for the support guys *hugs everyone* I love this game. I love games in general, but this is kinda my game, if you excuse the claiming. I want it to work. I had a bit of a nervy spaz yesterday when I saw Lostyia entered when I said don't. Spelling has always been one of my issues with RPG (winks at Nurv, fellow grammar nazi!)

Anyway. It's okay now... *calms* I'm glad everyone took my rant well.

Unfortunately I have very little time to post today, so Eärniel you might have some more to ask the Katt-waif.

Nurv, I'll try and get a post up soon about the layout of the ship, to satisfy your orderly side.

A little note about my cabin: It's mainly wood panelled, if you like old parchement ith ancient writing on, you'll like it. It also contains a lot of different swords, arrows all of different woods, some old maps, some wine glasses, a cabinet filled with navigational instruments and big hour glasses...quills, usual desk stuff. I'm open to any descriptions you might have. But no axes. XK doesn't like axes.

General things that you guys ought to do whilst I am busy moving this weekend is get everyone aboard. Eärniel, introducing the other crew, Sarin, Flannery etc. to everyone. Especially the people still with Sici. Finding your quarters, which you will all share. There's few cabins because the ship is quite small. You need teaching your jobs, and to be given the rota thing by Flannery. Fingolfun, you need to go to XK's office so we can finish our conversation sometime when everyone is busy. I have a job for Luthien and some others She knows this. So there's loads to do, even though posting this weekend might be limited from me. Problems, go to Eärniel.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #160
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You don't really need to describe it in detail, no worries. Just that, I wouldn't want to mess up continuity by saying "I'm going above decks to the captain's cabin" when it is actually below. Um... it is, right?
Quote:
Closed Thread