Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 06:57 PM   #121
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
TC = TinuvielChild. She doesn't post much anymore...

Anyway, if you check out the "What religion are you?" thread, you'll find some people listed in there.

http://entmoot.com/showthread.php?s=...=what+religion

or try this thread:
http://entmoot.com/showthread.php?s=...=what+religion
ah. Merci.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:10 PM   #122
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Brill
I don't think I ever said I was Christian, I am no "little Christ". I am a biblicist, I believe what the bible says whether literal of figuratively meant. I was raised a Catholic till maybe 7 years old, and believe you me, I dropped that like a bad habit!
Do you attend services someplace? Is this an organized religion? What do you do?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:52 PM   #123
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
I don't think I ever said I was Christian, I am no "little Christ".
How do you mean this? I first read it to mean that you would consider it an insult to be called a "little Christ". Then I wondered if perhaps you considered it to be an honor of which you were not worthy (considering your own statement that you are a "biblicist", and considering what the Bible says about Christ).

Or do you mean something entirely different? Just curious

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-28-2003, 12:44 AM   #124
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

Ruinel,
actually, i CAN'T go to church
due to issues with my non-christian dad.
So,I do bible study
at my home with my friends and family.
I beleive churches are good to go to
because they promote fellowship with other beleivers,
which is good for helping each other build in faith.
I just do this at home.

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Old 10-28-2003, 12:50 AM   #125
Brill
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Do you attend services someplace? Is this an organized religion? What do you do?
I don't go to chruch regularly. No, as I said, no church really is a biblicist church, but members are. They believe the bible word for word. That's me.

Quote:
How do you mean this? I first read it to mean that you would consider it an insult to be called a "little Christ". Then I wondered if perhaps you considered it to be an honor of which you were not worthy (considering your own statement that you are a "biblicist", and considering what the Bible says about Christ).
The beginning meaning of the word Christian was little Christ IE people who acted Christ-like. I don't act Christ-like by any stretch of the imagination, thus I am not a Christian.

I take things VERY literally obviously!
Old 10-28-2003, 01:28 AM   #126
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'm aware of the meaning of the word "Christian" ; and knowing humanity in general, I'm quite sure you're not Christ-like! (of course, neither am I )

I suppose I could re-word it by saying: is being Christ-like something you see as a good thing and strive for, or not?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-28-2003, 02:41 AM   #127
Brill
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I'm aware of the meaning of the word "Christian" ; and knowing humanity in general, I'm quite sure you're not Christ-like! (of course, neither am I )

I suppose I could re-word it by saying: is being Christ-like something you see as a good thing and strive for, or not?
Yes.

But I am not ready or willing to do it. :/
Old 10-28-2003, 03:03 PM   #128
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Giroth
Ruinel,
actually, i CAN'T go to church
due to issues with my non-christian dad.
So,I do bible study
at my home with my friends and family.
I beleive churches are good to go to
because they promote fellowship with other beleivers,
which is good for helping each other build in faith.
I just do this at home.
:-/ hmmm... so you "can't" go to church because your dad forbids it? Sounds like you'd go if permission was granted. Have you ever discussed this desire with your parents?
Old 10-28-2003, 03:25 PM   #129
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Okay, hate to nitpick.

BUT!

You said you believe everything of the Christian belief...right?

What does THAT entail. Catholics/Baptist/Pentecostal/Protestant?Methodist/Lutherans ALL believe differently, even by fractions of a difference.

Christian is a cheap word used to entail anyone who believes in God (except Jews). The KKK members believe in God, but they do not believe all men were created equally, or that god loves everyone equally.
Just to nitpick (), but I believe Muslims should also be exceptet from Christians as anyone who believes in God.

Last edited by Falagar : 10-28-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:07 PM   #130
Brill
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Just to nitpick (), but I believe Muslims should also be exceptet from Christians as anyone who believes in God.
Why? They do not believe in the Deity of Jesus Christ, nor in the God of the Bible. They believe in a god that is not the same as the one in the Bible. Jews go by Old Testament, yet they are not Christian because they don't believe in Christ (THUS I SAID EXCEPT).

Christian is IMBHO, a term that just shouldn't be used, because people assume that everyone who is a "christian" believes the same way. IE. take the Mormons and the Catholics. Both considered "Christian" yet one is a cult and the other is a hugely followed religion(Again my opinion, you catholics out there, sorry ). People lump the murderers who supposedly kill in Gods name as Christian. Yet if you look at their beliefs in comparison to ANY version of the Bible, they are cultists. (I use cult as a general term here)
Old 10-28-2003, 04:24 PM   #131
Falagar

Quote:
Why? They do not believe in the Deity of Jesus Christ, nor in the God of the Bible. They believe in a god that is not the same as the one in the Bible. Jews go by Old Testament, yet they are not Christian because they don't believe in Christ (THUS I SAID EXCEPT).
True they do not believe in Jesus, but AFAIK they do believe in the same God as the Christians and Jews (they use the Old Testament)
Old 10-28-2003, 05:06 PM   #132
Brill
Elven Warrior

But Jews aren't Christians as I said in both of my posts, Christian -- CHRISTian. See?

If that looked condescending I apologize.

So if Jews aren't CHRISTians, then neither is any other religion (regardless if they believe in the same god) that don't deify CHRIST.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:15 PM   #133
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:

Christian is IMBHO, a term that just shouldn't be used, because people assume that everyone who is a "christian" believes the same way. IE. take the Mormons and the Catholics. Both considered "Christian" yet one is a cult and the other is a hugely followed religion(Again my opinion, you catholics out there, sorry ). People lump the murderers who supposedly kill in Gods name as Christian. Yet if you look at their beliefs in comparison to ANY version of the Bible, they are cultists. (I use cult as a general term here)
ummm sorry to burst your bubble but Catholicism is a branch of Christianity, not just a religion. There have beem many Christlike Catholics throughout the years...all the saints, Mother Teresa, Pope John Paul 2.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:16 PM   #134
Falagar

Quote:
But Jews aren't Christians as I said in both of my posts, Christian -- CHRISTian. See?

If that looked condescending I apologize.

So if Jews aren't CHRISTians, then neither is any other religion (regardless if they believe in the same god) that don't deify CHRIST.
I was just refering to the
Quote:
Christian is a cheap word used to entail anyone who believes in God (except Jews).
, just pointing out that Muslims also believes in God.

If my answer is wrong (I have misunderstood something) or unclear, it's because I didn't sleep all night to monday and haven't slept much since then either (was in queue for RotK-tickets).

Last edited by Falagar : 10-28-2003 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:00 PM   #135
Brill
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
ummm sorry to burst your bubble but Catholicism is a branch of Christianity, not just a religion. There have beem many Christlike Catholics throughout the years...all the saints, Mother Teresa, Pope John Paul 2.
I personally don't believe that Catholics qualify as true Christians. The Pope is an Idol, as well as the saints, and Mary to him they pray to for intermission.

Sorry to burst THAT bubble I am not saying Catholics aren't good people, or even godly people in most aspects, except for a few doctrinal things.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:31 PM   #136
Rían

Quote:
Yes.

But I am not ready or willing to do it. :/
Now I know how to pray for you, Brill (see, it's dangerous joining Entmoot! I might add you to my prayer list, and there's nothing you can do about it! Bwa-ha-ha!!) I'll pray that you come to love God more, because then, the striving is a joy, and even the falling has laughter in it, because the one who picks you up loves you so much!

Old 10-28-2003, 07:34 PM   #137
Rían

Quote:
I personally don't believe that Catholics qualify as true Christians.
Just for the record, I personally DO believe that an individual of the Catholic faith (as opposed to Catholics en masse) may certainly be a Christian, just as a Methodist may be a Christian (but would be in a minority position in the Methodist church, probably). Also that Catholic and Methodist individuals may NOT be Christian.

Last edited by Rían : 10-28-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:01 PM   #138
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I personally don't believe that Catholics qualify as true Christians. The Pope is an Idol, as well as the saints, and Mary to him they pray to for intermission.

Sorry to burst THAT bubble I am not saying Catholics aren't good people, or even godly people in most aspects, except for a few doctrinal things.
Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but the Catholic religion IS a Christian religion. In order to be a Christian religion, the religion must believe that Jesus Christ is the son of god and worship him as god's son. That would be a "Christian" religion. As for all the other things: the Pope and saints are idols, blablabla ... you are mistaken. Catholics pray to saints for strength to follow in their shoes, so to speak, to be better Christians, to bring them closer to god's expectations of them. That's all. (I believe the worship of saints as idols is called Santaria and is not Catholic.)

You sound like a Baptist.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:13 PM   #139
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I was just refering to the , just pointing out that Muslims also believes in God.
No you are not wrong - at least not from my understanding (I've got Understanding Islam on tape.) Muslim, Judaic, and Christian faiths all share the same God (from the old testament.)
Old 10-28-2003, 08:33 PM   #140
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Brill, those are fighting words jk

To dovetail what Ruinel said, if the pope is an idol, then every priest, minister, pastor, whatever, from any denomination is just as much an idol. Catholics do not worship Mary or the Saints, we worship only the Triune God--Father, Son, Holy Spirit. We ask the saints for their intercession just as we would ask you, our friends or our neighbors to pray for us. We believe that the Church is a community of believers that spans all of history, including those who are still living and those who are enjoying the beatific vision (the saints). Who better for us to ask to pray for us than those in the presence of God in his heavens? Seeing as how the Catholic Church is a little under 2000 years old, can you pinpoint a moment in history when the Catholic Church stopped being Christian? Was this before or after the Church compiled the canon of Scripture?

Unfortunately, the Catholic Church hasn’t been too good about making itself known. Common misconceptions about Catholicism is the fault of Catholics not living up to their Christian expectations, but hopefully this will change in the near future. If you have any questions about Catholicism, I would be happy to answer your questions in PM.

Regards,
Dave
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan

Last edited by Guillaume le Maréchal : 10-28-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Closed Thread