Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #121
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Three cheers for dressing however the hell you like, and for not being defined by other people's categories. I myself am at this moment .. no let's no go there.

LCoU, were you also a bit pissed off that they edited out the worst swearies when Little Britain migrated to BBC1 from BBC3? In the scene at the fete, with the gay vicar, and the old lady saying "what that boy needs is a nice big...", she so obviously really enjoyed saying the (not especially rude) words that it felt like sacrilege that they toned it down. Interesting how you can blow people up but you can't describe gay sex explicitly on the BBC.

Quote:
Yes, ANYONE can get AIDS and use meth, but apparently in the gay community the numbers are much higher, so much so that people are targeting the gay community to try to help them (the article notes that "Authorities in San Francisco launched a media campaign against "crystal mess", even plastering the ads on coasters at gay bars"). Is that prejudice? I don't think so. I think it's being practical.
I agree, it's both practical and necessary. However, I also agree with what others were saying about a "gay lifestyle". I guess we have to get a balance between being realistic about which groups are exposed to risk and understanding the reasons why these risks exist. That would be why non-judgmental interventions (e.g. free condoms, needle exchanges for IV drug users) work better IMO than interventions that contain an element of condemning the behaviour.

* Tosses ketchup back with thanks, and asks for some VINEGAR! *

Last edited by The Gaffer : 03-01-2005 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:00 AM   #122
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
more likely to engage in risky activities
Indeed. I would reckon that just coming out in itself is a very risky activity, what with the likelihood of being ostracised and/or beaten up. And so for some gay people, risk is part of the fun.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #123
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

little britain is the funniest programme around, matt lucas is a gay icon, and
the bbc had no right to tone it down in favour of their elderly viewers
Old 03-01-2005, 07:58 AM   #124
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer
Indeed. I would reckon that just coming out in itself is a very risky activity, what with the likelihood of being ostracised and/or beaten up.
you're right there, TG, i have known many that have been quite severely beaten by bigoted jerks, which is why i didn't come out until after i left school, teenage chavs are the worst
Old 03-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #125
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I have heard of this issue (the use of meth and unsafe sex) but I hesitate to get in to that in this thread. In fact, I avoid it completely for fear there might be harmful and false extrapolations about homosexuality being a harmful lifestile. ad infinitum.
I used "lifestyle" because I was anwering your post, Nurvi (altho I did correct the spelling! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvi
The thing is, there is no such thing as a "gay lifestyle". Since when does the gender of your partner define your lifestyle? That's like saying there's a "straight lifestyle" - of course there isn't. Do all straight people act the same? Dress the same? Engage in similar hobbies and activities? Have similar values? The answer is many resounding NOs.
Thinking that there is such thing as "a gay lifestyle" (A, as in ONE) leads to other dangerous thinking. It's easy to pigeonhole gays into all kinds of horrible stereotypes if they are "all the same".
If you notice, in my post BEFORE your post, I used "gay community" and NOT "gay lifestyle". I think "gay community" is entirely appropriate in this context. "Community" implies a common feature (such as Hispanic community, folk dance community) that is being talked about, but does NOT imply, IMO, that all members are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvi
You mentioned in another thread that it sucks when people make a lot of assumptions about you as soon as they find our you're Christian (giant paraphrase there). Well, it does suck, and the same thing happens to many gay people.
This is why the notion of a gay lifestyle is not only wrong, but dangerous.
The only thing I assume about gays is that they have a preference for a partner of the same sex.

*tosses Gaffer some vinegar and salt*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-01-2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #126
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Sorry Ri. Hm... I used 'gay lifestyle' in response to posts before mine. Oh well. There isn't one, we both agree, we can move on.

I think 'gay community' is still misleading though. It implies that gay people all live in the same neighbourhood or something. But no biggie.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #127
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
you're right there, TG, i have known many that have been quite severely beaten by bigoted jerks, which is why i didn't come out until after i left school, teenage chavs are the worst
That blows. I suppose they might have been beaten up just for being in possession of a "different" kind of appearance in the vicinity of a bunch of chav twats. "Chav" is an interesting term. It seems to mean the same as "ned" did back where I come fae.

EDIT: just checking out a Ned humour site, came across this and thought you might appreciate it.

* scoffs chips with salt and vinegar, washed doon wi a boatil ay buckie *

* dies of a coronary *

Last edited by The Gaffer : 03-01-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #128
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Sorry Ri. Hm... I used 'gay lifestyle' in response to posts before mine. Oh well. There isn't one, we both agree, we can move on.

I think 'gay community' is still misleading though. It implies that gay people all live in the same neighbourhood or something. But no biggie.

Gee, Nurv, this UK site thinks lifestyle and community both work. Your position is untenable. GLBT is a series of actions in a repeated fashion leading to a distinctive pattern of behaviour and results. It is a lifestyle and there is a community...just like heterosexuals.

http://uk.gay.com/

I'm sure that if I surf the web I can produce more exempla, but I leave you to do that.

Just for funsies, how many sites would it take to produce a statistically reliable sample and results you would accept? My Google search under gay and lifestyle yielded 5, 240, 000 hits. Google on gay and community yielded 11,000,000 hits and gay and community and lifestyle yielded 1, 090, 000 hits!

Your viewpoint seems in a minority, statistically speaking to self identifiers on the web search engines and usage.

But, it's only data, I know.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 03-01-2005 at 06:43 PM. Reason: data addition
Old 03-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #129
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Gee, Nurv, this UK site thinks lifestyle and community both work. Your position is untenable. GLBT is a series of actions in a repeated fashion leading to a distinctive pattern of behaviour and results. It is a lifestyle and there is a community...just like heterosexuals.

http://uk.gay.com/

I'm sure that if I surf the web I can produce more exempla, but I leave you to do that.
For lifestyle, did you mean the tab fourth from the right at the top of the main page (between "Jobs" and "Money")? It's about general lifestyle things. Yes, the different articles are target at gay people, but I don't think they were using it in the same way there.
My only problem with "gay lifestyle" is that it suggests everyone behaves the same. There are enough stereotypes about gays as it is without adding more.

Quote:
Just for funsies, how many sites would it take to produce a statistically reliable sample and results you would accept? My Google search under gay and lifestyle yielded 5, 240, 000 hits. Google on gay and community yielded 11,000,000 hits and gay and community and lifestyle yielded 1, 090, 000 hits!
Googling "teh" returned 3,560,000 hits.

Quote:
Your viewpoint seems in a minority, statistically speaking to self identifiers on the web search engines and usage.

There are a lot of flaws in this method of data collection, which is a bigger worry than statistical significance.

Besides, being in the minority does not mean that you're wrong.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 03-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #130
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

goggle for ogglyboogly, and yo get 42 results
Old 03-01-2005, 08:12 PM   #131
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
GLBT is a series of actions in a repeated fashion leading to a distinctive pattern of behaviour and results. It is a lifestyle and there is a community...just like heterosexuals.
It is quite funny how you seem to be close to Judith Butler. I wonder if you would agree with her that also gender is performative

In this very thread though, the two of us discussed how LGBT is more than a series of actions, it is also an orientation. I don't remember any (relevant) counterarguments my post #4298.

Last edited by The Wizard from Milan : 03-01-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #132
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Haha, that's awesome Chrys.

I did think you were at least half kidding with the Google data collection thing... um... right Inked?

EDIT: Cross-posted with WfM. I agree - if I kissed a girl, would that make me gay? If I kissed a lot of girls, or one girl many times, would I be gay then?
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 03-01-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #133
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
EDIT: Cross-posted with WfM. I agree - if I kissed a girl, would that make me gay? If I kissed a lot of girls, or one girl many times, would I be gay then?
Heh heh....if I kissed guys, would it make me straight?

My DA page
Old 03-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #134
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
Heh heh....if I kissed guys, would it make me straight?
if i kissed girls, would it make me straight?
oh wait i have kissed girls! i must be straight!!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #135
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:

if your most reliable data is plugging random words into internet search engines then Id say you do the best job of all of us of proving how ridiculous your argument is. Thanks. Gee I wonder how many millions of hits I can get by plugging the words "christian" and "hate" into a search engine... And what that actually tells us...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 03-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #136
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
if your most reliable data is plugging random words into internet search engines then Id say you do the best job of all of us of proving how ridiculous your argument is. Thanks. Gee I wonder how many millions of hits I can get by plugging the words "christian" and "hate" into a search engine... And what that actually tells us...
isn't it obvious, IR, it tells you exactly what you want it to, and so i conclude that pointless data with no basis in fact is tantamount to hypocrisy
Old 03-02-2005, 04:43 AM   #137
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Well I got 5m+ hits for gay cooking and 4m for gay football. Hmm. Nicely illustrates the perils of retrospective research methinks...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:37 AM   #138
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

IRex I hope you don't do that search. There have been enough non-inflammatory examples to debunk the argument anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
if i kissed girls, would it make me straight?
oh wait i have kissed girls! i must be straight!!
Lol, that was my point Chrys and Em!
Quote:
Old 03-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #139
inked
Elf Lord

Well, well, well, I see the sense of humor has been abandoned after all!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 03-02-2005, 10:09 AM   #140
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard from Milan
It is quite funny how you seem to be close to Judith Butler. I wonder if you would agree with her that also gender is performative

In this very thread though, the two of us discussed how LGBT is more than a series of actions, it is also an orientation. I don't remember any (relevant) counterarguments my post #4298.
See my 4300#.
Closed Thread