Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2002, 01:55 AM   #121
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Okay. The power of the Extended Version was more than I could resist. I went to the store, passed the collapsed building to the Best Buy, where I got the last copy before two other people who were looking before me. So that was four crushed people all together. It was fate for all of us.

Soooo much better. The Shire and Lothlorien especially. Lot of other bits too. Bilbos trolls were good. The extra Moria... The bit at the council was weird and the green dragon was a good spacer between Gandalf and Frodo and crazy Gandalf and Frodo.

I won't even bother to buy "regular" next time. I'll "re-gift" the other although for some reason the wife doesn't want me to do that. Got my ticket for TTT, too.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 11-16-2002 at 01:56 AM.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 05:27 AM   #122
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Perhaps someone has mentioned this, but what is with Aragorn saying he never wanted to be king? And I still don't understand why Aragorn hit the pillow (I have given this matter a lot of thought). PJ what have you done to my Aragorn?
Old 11-16-2002, 07:40 AM   #123
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Well, really. They got it completely wrong: Where was David Attenborough? He should have been narrating it... and what about hobbit mating rituals?
you have david attenborough in new zeland? cool i met him once in hotel bar
Old 11-16-2002, 10:42 AM   #124
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I absolutely loved the additional scenes, and think in all the Extended Edition is the version which SHOULD have been released in theaters, with a ten-minute intermission right before the Walls of Moria.

I loved the scene of Aragorn singing the Lay of Luthien, which also opens the issue of Arwen loving Aragorn. The scene at the door of ithildi runes was much more effective, and the temptation of Boromir at the Council of Elrond, I thought, added greater dimension to Boromir's character, as well as his saying "this will be the death of the hobbits!" on Caradhras.

Lothlorien was magnificent. In just a few frames, Jackson restored portions of my own vision of Lothlorien, even though a few "film purists" will rail at that. C'est-la vie. Film appreciation is subjective, as has been discussed on other threads, and in my appreciation I have to please no one but myself. Cette theatre.

Legolas stating Gandalf fell to a "Balrog of Morgoth" nearly got me squealin' in delight, and Gollum holding onto the log and Aragorn and Boromir talking about him also added a dimension I think should have been left in the theatrical release. I DID squeal when Hanfast Gamgee, the beloved old Gaffer, was at the Green Dragon, and also the little exchange of how Mr. Bilbo had gotten rather strange. The warnings of the western and eastern shores of Anduin (which, apparently, I have been mispronouncing for over 25 years) again restoreed an important portion of the storyline which left the theatrical release flat.

As for the opening of the film, an IMMENSE improvement. Bilbo narrating "Concerning Hobbits" was not choppy as some have observed, but actually more smoothly introduced the concept of a hobbit to uninitiated audiences. The restortation of lembas to the storyline, though problematic for the next two films (as discussed in another thread), was a delight, but the vulgar insertion of satisfied hobbit flatulence was another of the unnecessary changes with which Jackson has peppered the film. Considering the sheer volume of aspects which Jackson "got right", the ratio of "right" to "wrong" seems to be tilted more now in favor of those who know the books and prefer Tolkien's original creation.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the Extended Edition, found none of the scenes choppy or just "tacked on", and I think the overall improvement of the full film makes up for many, many slights which really didn't set well with me, and I finally feel that this is close enough to the story to overlook some aspects of creative license.

Okay, Pete, all is forgiven. For NOW.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 11-16-2002 at 10:49 AM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 01:16 PM   #125
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hmmm...I agree totally Bropous, I wish this had been the only release of the film. Now there will people who have only seen the first film, people who have only seen the new version, people who have only read the books, and various combinations. Confusing! The flatulence was icky and out of place, I hope there's no more of that kind of humour in the other two films. I haven't watched any of the extra stuff, and probably won't, Enough already for me! This extended film is wonderful, and the perfect way to prime me for The Two Towers! (I have a ticket! )

Last edited by Lizra : 11-16-2002 at 06:38 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 05:43 PM   #126
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Well, I have at last viewed the extended version and while it is fun to see the extra bits inserted here and there I think the theatrical release is my perfered version. I found the insertion of the SB's annoying. Bilbo's narration was long in the tooth and the gift giving scene reminded me of a lousy game of D & D.

I did like some of the extra banter between Legolas and Gimli - and between Aragorn and Boromir. But still I can clearly see why most of it was cut out in the first place.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 11-16-2002 at 05:45 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:24 PM   #127
Heather Wooltoes
Elven Warrior

*******And I still don't understand why Aragorn hit the pillow (I have given this matter a lot of thought). *****

Aragorn wasn't smacking a pillow...he was smacking Gimli who was snoring during Sam's poem (I think)

Don't p*** me off.....I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!
Heather Wooltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:36 PM   #128
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather Wooltoes
*******And I still don't understand why Aragorn hit the pillow (I have given this matter a lot of thought). *****

Aragorn wasn't smacking a pillow...he was smacking Gimli who was snoring during Sam's poem (I think)
Snoring in Lothlorien should be a slapping offence if Sam was orating or not

Aragorn does seem a bit prejudice/disrespectful towards Gimli tho.........must be that thing he has about elves

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 07:27 PM   #129
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I thought that everything was prefect! But that part at Bilbo's party just before the dragon firework, where Bilbo is talking to Frodo, I didnt like how it came off as Bilbo was drunk, (as he very clearly wasnt a few scenes later) and couldnt say that he really loved Frodo. But everything else was wonderful! Especially when Gimli was embarrassed in front of Galadriel when she asks what he would like. Do you think they're going to put in all of that stuff in TTT about how Gimli is offended when Eomer kinda disses on Lorien? If they do I dont know that the people who havent seen the SE will understand why he does that.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:50 PM   #130
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Firekitten2006
I thought that everything was prefect! But that part at Bilbo's party just before the dragon firework, where Bilbo is talking to Frodo, I didnt like how it came off as Bilbo was drunk, (as he very clearly wasnt a few scenes later) and couldnt say that he really loved Frodo.
If you watch closer you'll see he's very drunk during the speech. I'm just not sure if it is acting or not. He doesn't seen drunk later, though.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 11-16-2002, 09:08 PM   #131
scott100
Sapling

I think girls should be banned from this site if they can't stop having imaginary sex with Strider. And any lads also, for that matter. I'm sick of hearing about it!!!!
scott100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:15 PM   #132
Elvet
Elven Warrior

It was very gratifying to see the additional footage. Hard to imagine it without it now.
I had told Lizra that I would hold off on watching the additional features, but I couldn't resist. I sat through all the appendices today. What a thorough documentation of the making of this film.
I especially liked the details about the design team and WETA.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:18 PM   #133
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Pailan
Well, I have at last viewed the extended version and while it is fun to see the extra bits inserted here and there I think the theatrical release is my perfered version. I found the insertion of the SB's annoying. Bilbo's narration was long in the tooth and the gift giving scene reminded me of a lousy game of D & D.

I did like some of the extra banter between Legolas and Gimli - and between Aragorn and Boromir. But still I can clearly see why most of it was cut out in the first place.
wow, Pailan. That took guts. Good thing no one here knows your home address, or else of the extremists might send you a (special edition) package bomb j/k

But seriously, you liked the theatrical release better?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:04 PM   #134
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I got the gift set. Contrary to BoP - I don't think the bookends are tacky. I was expecting cheap plastic ones or something. These are really heavy and nicely detailed.

Anyway - I must say that THIS is the version that should have been in the movies. If Jackson could only reshoot the Flight to the Ford scene, make Gandalf less of a lapdog to Saruman and eliminate the stupid wizard duel - I'd be very very happy.

It did flesh out the characters so much more and gave a lot more background info. With the additional character development - Pippin and Merry didn't annoy me nearly as much as they did before.

Now I am 90% happy with the film.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 10:11 PM   #135
BeardofPants
the Shrike

How can you NOT find the concept of Argonath bookends tacky? They're bookends for a start. *shrug* I just find the idea of LOTR merchandise somewhat abhorrid.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:49 PM   #136
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
How can you NOT find the concept of Argonath bookends tacky? They're bookends for a start. *shrug* I just find the idea of LOTR merchandise somewhat abhorrid.
I just got back from the store where they were selling LotR kites. I found no LotR toilet brushes, though.*sigh*

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 11-16-2002, 10:54 PM   #137
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Bookends? Free TTT cinema tickets.......sheesh in the UK we get the DVDs and a surely look from the check-out girl and think we're priviledged

No FotR bog-brushes here either I'm afraid Cirdan (thank the Gods )

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 11:04 PM   #138
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*mental image of stirring toilet water with Frodo...* Eep!
Old 11-16-2002, 11:09 PM   #139
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Apparently, there's a horde of people here looking for the Extended Version DVDs (me included). I asked the salesperson in the video store if it were available already, and before I could finish the word Extended he said not yet and glanced at the remaining reglar DVDs like they were chopped-liver.

The wait is killing us here...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lĂșmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 11:15 PM   #140
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
Apparently, there's a horde of people here looking for the Extended Version DVDs (me included). I asked the salesperson in the video store if it were available already, and before I could finish the word Extended he said not yet and glanced at the remaining reglar DVDs like they were chopped-liver.

The wait is killing us here...
They had tons at the Best Buy near me. Weren't they released worldwide at the same time? They had two full displays for Star Wars too.

Coney - don't you get the special gift set in England?

By the way - the free movie ticket is only good at select theatres. It includes Loews - but not AMC - it's also only good until 12/31. I like AMC better around here - although there are two Loews by me also.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote