Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2003, 06:55 PM   #121
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I like Orome, big hunter and rider, discoverer of the elves.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:27 AM   #122
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Yavanna, Varda, Manwë and Aulë. For various reasons.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 04:17 PM   #123
Tahquamenon
Hobbit

Treebeard Favorite

Tulkas hands down he made melkor tremble when he first arrived on the scene with laughter and light - he reminds me of a combination of Gimli and Gandalf - enhanced
Old 05-18-2003, 07:25 PM   #124
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

I always liked Yavanna- quite probably because I love trees
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:16 PM   #125
Silpion
Elven Warrior

I have liked Ulmo and Varda. Varda, the Lady of the Stars.
Quote:
In light is her power and her joy.
I also like Ulmo, because as the Lord of Waters he can pretty much go anywhere. He is independent and although he is described as being second in might to Manwe he is caring. He loves Elves and Men and never abandoned them. I just like the ocean and the stars.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 09:35 PM   #126
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I like Yavanna. Manwë's cool too. Eagles rule.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:18 AM   #127
Ulmo
Enting

Gandalf

My answer seems obvious. Ulmo because of his great might, wisdom, somewhat detached personality, dedication to the children of Eru, and magnificence. I think he gets some of the best characterization attention of the Valar from Tolkien. The first two selections are from the published Silmarillion; the second is from Unfinished Tales. The UT version of 'Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin' has some powerful writing in it.

Quote:
Ulmo is the Lord of Waters. He is alone. He dwells nowhere long, but moves as he will in all the deep waters about the Earth or under the Earth. He is next in might to Manwë, and before Valinor was made he was closest to him in friendship; but thereafter he went seldom to the councils of the Valar, unless great matters were in debate. For he kept all Arda in thought, and he has no need of any resting-place. Moreover he does not love to walk upon land, and will seldom clothe himself in a body after the manner of his peers. If the Children of Eru beheld him they were filled with a great dread; for the arising of the King of the Sea was terrible, as a mounting wave that strides to the land, with dark helm foam-crested and raiment of mail shimmering from silver down into shadows of green. The trumpets of Manwë are loud, but Ulmo's voice is deep as the deeps of the ocean which he only has seen.
Nonetheless Ulmo loves both Elves and Men, and never abandoned them, not even when they lay under the wrath of the Valar. At times he win come unseen to the shores of Middle-earth, or pass far inland up firths of the sea, and there make music upon his great horns, the Ulumúri, that are wrought of white shell; and those to whom that music comes hear it ever after in their hearts, and longing for the sea never leaves them again. But mostly Ulmo speaks to those who dwell in Middle-earth with voices that are heard only as the music of water. For all seas, lakes, rivers, fountains and springs are in his government; so that the Elves say that the spirit of Ulmo runs in all the veins of the world. Thus news comes to Ulmo, even in the deeps, of all the needs and griefs of Arda, which otherwise would be hidden from Manwë.
Quote:
But Ulmo was alone, and he abode not in Valinor, nor ever came thither unless there were need for a great council; he dwelt from the beginning of Arda in the Outer Ocean, and still he dwells there. Thence he governs the flowing of all waters, and the ebbing, the courses of an rivers and the replenishment of Springs, the distilling of all dews and rain in every land beneath the sky. In the deep places he gives thought to music great and terrible; and the echo of that music runs through all the veins of the world in sorrow and in joy; for it joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth. The Teleri learned much of Ulmo, and for this reason their music has both sadness and enchantment. Salmar came with him to Arda, he who made the horns of Ulmo that none may ever forget who once has heard them; and Ossë and Uinen also, to whom he gave the government of the waves and the movements of the Inner Seas, and many other spirits beside. And thus it was by the power of Ulmo that even under the darkness of Melkor life coursed still through many secret lodes, and the Earth did not die; and to all who were lost in that darkness or wandered far from the light of the Valar the ear of Ulmo was ever open; nor has he ever forsaken Middle-earth, and whatsoever may since have befallen of ruin or of change he has not ceased to take thought for it, and will not until the end of days.

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.

Last edited by Ulmo : 07-15-2003 at 01:50 AM.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:51 AM   #128
Ulmo
Enting

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Now Tuor felt his feet drawn to the sea-strand, and he went down by long stairs to a wide shore upon the north side of Taras-ness; and as he went he saw that the sun was sinking low into a great black cloud that came up over the rim of the darkening sea; and it grew cold, and there was a stirring and murmur as of a storm to come. And Tuor stood upon the shore, and the sun was like a smoky fire behind the menace of the sky; and it seemed to him that a great wave rose far off and rolled towards the land, but wonder held him, and he remained there unmoved. And the wave came towards him, and upon it lay a mist of shadow. Then suddenly as it drew near it curled, and broke, and rushed forward in long arms of foam; but where it had broken there stood dark against the rising storm a living shape of great height and majesty.
What? A character limit? Anyway... there it is.

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:09 AM   #129
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Indeed, Ulmo is my favorite Vala as well. Though I could have sworn I posted in an identical thread some time ago...
Old 07-15-2003, 03:10 PM   #130
Celeviel
Hobbit

Re: Favourite Valar?

1st - i'm torn between varda and yavanna because both had such a naturistic influence on the environment where ever they go, be it in middle earth or valinor... i love stars and i've wondered what the stars of varda would look like in the sky... plus the two trees, telperion and laurelin i always wonder about... (ok, i'm a girl, so i'm gushy about pretty things like that)

2nd - manwe, because he sees, knows, and feels almost everything that went on and he possessed great wisdom...

3rd - ulmo, the god of water, what can i say? i can only imagine the strength he possesses with the waters of the world... along with orome, he was always around to help the elves during their tumultuous times

4th - orome, the monster hunter... not only did he first discovered the elves but he also did as much as he could to help and protect them from the evils that melkor was brewing up.
Celeviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:18 PM   #131
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Re: Re: Favourite Valar?

Quote:
Originally posted by Celeviel
1st - i'm torn between varda and yavanna because both had such a naturistic influence on the environment where ever they go, be it in middle earth or valinor... i love stars and i've wondered what the stars of varda would look like in the sky... plus the two trees, telperion and laurelin i always wonder about... (ok, i'm a girl, so i'm gushy about pretty things like that)

2nd - manwe, because he sees, knows, and feels almost everything that went on and he possessed great wisdom...

3rd - ulmo, the god of water, what can i say? i can only imagine the strength he possesses with the waters of the world... along with orome, he was always around to help the elves during their tumultuous times

4th - orome, the monster hunter... not only did he first discovered the elves but he also did as much as he could to help and protect them from the evils that melkor was brewing up.
Welcome to the 'moot!
Should probably have said this in the Welcoming-thread, but have been too lazy lately to check if anyone new arrives...

*sees SGH approach with her All-powerful-mod-stick*

[slightly high-pitched voice]Ehm...Straying off-topic, just wanted to welcome a mooter!
Have I mentioned Ulmo is my favorite Vala? [/slightly high-pitched voice]

Last edited by Falagar : 07-15-2003 at 04:23 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #132
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

After reaing UT again I understood Ulmo is the best Vala. He's the only one that didn't just thought about ME, he was actually the only Vala who helped the elves and men.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:51 AM   #133
Celeviel
Hobbit

thank you falagar, pleased to meet you!

yes, i agree with you and radagast the brown, ulmo is indeed one of the greatest of valar... of course, to you two, he is THE greatest of them all and i don't blame you for believing that...
Old 07-16-2003, 02:16 AM   #134
Celeviel
Hobbit

thank you falagar, pleased to meet you!

yes, i agree with you and radagast the brown, ulmo is indeed one of the greatest of valar... of course, to you two, he is THE greatest of them all and i don't blame you for believing that...
Old 08-24-2003, 04:52 PM   #135
Elenna Alaniel
Hobbit

my favorite are Varda (I just love stars,but that's nothing new for an elf ),Yavanna (without her there woun't be any trees or grass ),Ulmo (I love sea almost as stars),Nienna and Irmo (I like sleepin )
Old 09-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #136
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Ulmo by far! He's the Lord of Waters; how cool can he get? He's independant and he helped the Elves and Men.

Second would be Orome, just because he's warrior and he's got that cool horn.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:56 PM   #137
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

I don't remember all the lesser Valar, but I like Ulmo and Orome the best.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:14 PM   #138
Elf Girl
Lurker

Estë.

Why?

No idea.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:41 AM   #139
Eärloth
Elven Warrior

MELKOR!!! lol nah,

I'd have to say definately Ulmo and Nienna: Ulmo being the Lord of Waters, and I LOVE Water & the Sea; and Nienna I think is kind of the spirit of humanity (as it were - I don't know what the Valar would call it): she is most acquainted with mourning and sorry, pity and patience - traits essential to an idolly 'humane' and wise person.

Telperinai pennar niei rossenen,
iéni únótimai be m?*ri Aiaro!
Man erca óre nio ettuccuba?
S?* mapuba Ulmo ciria ma
be findi-falla; Baradis mentuba
i Elestel i en tulia me
Annúne pella, nimpei srestanai
or helle cúna, helle rácina.
Nan merin minia lóte elanar
an sire cenin Ennor tellabe.
Namárie! Autame Balinórena,
Ennórelo autai! Namárie!
Eärloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 02:14 PM   #140
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Tulkas. I would have loved to have been there and watched him wrestle Melkor.