Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2002, 06:49 PM   #121
Marille
Hobbit

Hm, for me it'd be a toss up between Legolas and Aragon. Ither one of them would be perfectly fine with me. Heh
Old 01-10-2002, 08:10 PM   #122
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*chuckles*

To quote the title of one of Micheal Martinez's Articles from a while back:

Ooh, Arwen! Oh Yeah!

Old 01-11-2002, 11:38 AM   #123
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

PALANTIR CALLING INOLDONIL... YOU BETTER GET YOUR NOSE OUT OF THE LIBRARY IN RIVENDELL AND READ THE POST BY STARR POLISH

BTW is that polish as in shoe shine or Polish as in Krakow?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:41 AM   #124
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

LOL, Wayfarer, I wonder what ol' Mike's comments would have been had Arwen bummed from Aragorn and sparked up a pipeful of Old Toby...

"Ooh, Arwen! Oh Yeah!...wait....no, don't do that...no, it can't be....not you, too....! Arwen, Noooooo! Bad Arwen! Bad, Bad Arwen! There oughtta be a law! DROWN in the flood! DROOOOOOOOWWWNNNNN!!!!! Tool of the tobacco companies! Halfling Leaf Harlot! Cigarette Strumpet! Tobacco Trollop!"

"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:37 PM   #125
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I'de pick Silmarien, don't know why.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:44 PM   #126
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

SIlmarien...

That sounds REALLY familiar.

Who was she?
Old 01-11-2002, 06:46 PM   #127
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I guess technically, she is in LOTR.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 11:00 PM   #128
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Silmarien was was the daughter and oldest child of one of the early Numenorian Kings (not sure which). She was passed over for Queen (even though Tar-Ancalime had become a queen earlier, and it had been established that the eldest child, male or female, would take the crown), but her childeren were the begining of the line of Isuldur. I actually don't know much about her, just what it says in the appendix, but I think she's in the Silmarillion. (I haven't read it, but I would assume...)

-Menelvagor
Old 01-11-2002, 11:42 PM   #129
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

What I meant was, the question was what LOTR character would be your mate. Silmaren is not in the story of the LOTR. BUT she is in the book per se. Albeit in the appendix. So, I was just saying that you could choose her on a technicality.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-12-2002, 10:10 AM   #130
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

But they were picking charaters that were in lotr! *whines*

When I made that last post, I was responding to Wayfarer. Actually, I don't know why I picked Silmarien, I was just kinda looking for a name that most other people wouldn't pick, it doesn't have to be her. Second choice would be Eowyn, any girl that would fight the witch king is good enough for me.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:40 PM   #131
Nenya
Hobbit

Faramir for me...he seems to be a bit more down to Earth than most of the other men...I don't think anyone else would have me!

On the other hand, if Legolas really looks like Orlando Bloom with long blond hair...
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:37 AM   #132
mrs legolas
Sapling

my husband is...

er...do i really have to answer this?
mrs legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 03:04 AM   #133
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

A hearty "Welcome to the Moot" to you both, Menelvagor and Mrs Legolas!

I agree that any lady who can stick it to the Witch King of Angmar and live is a girl after me own heart...especially if she looks like the actress who plays her in Peter Jackson's The Two Towers, from what I can tell from the back of the paperback...

And can someone take a look at the paperback and let me know, if you are familiar with the actor, is the guy who looks like he is going to be playing Theoden the fellow who plays "Father Jack" on "Father Ted"? Sure looks like him...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:46 AM   #134
Kamyel
Hobbit

Bropous are you talking about the guy in the last picture on the back of "The Two Towers"?
Kamyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:58 PM   #135
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Hmmm....if memory serves me correctly, Kamyel, from left-to-right, the photos are of:

1. A fellow in a helm with a prominent noseguard, whom I take to be Eomer;

2. A fellow with dark armor, greying hair and short, greying beard, whom I take to be Theoden; and

3. A beautiful, grave blond woman whom I take to be Eowyn.

I'm hoping my memory is serving correctly from looking at the "film series" printing of the LotR paperbacks and quality paperbacks at the bookstore.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:10 PM   #136
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

I think I'll go for Frodo (him looking like Elijah Wood might have something to do with that I admit) And I'm kind of short so little problem there.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 01:29 PM   #137
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Thank you Bropous, I'm glad to be here.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:37 PM   #138
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, EƤrniel, glad to have you here, and ain't no problem with being [even just a little] short!
Old 01-13-2002, 02:26 PM   #139
mrs legolas
Sapling

Hannad! Bropous...
Old 01-13-2002, 05:01 PM   #140
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
BTW is that polish as in shoe shine or Polish as in Krakow?
Polish as in the shoe...it has to do with a little thing I wrote about how I feel about myself sometime. Along the lines of "In my own universe, I am a star, shining brightly, but put me against others, and I seem quite dim. Does anyone have any polish?"

Very, very corny, but hey, I like the name.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote