Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2000, 10:45 PM   #121
gdl96

Re: Your opinion

My Speach

Good evening, my fellow Ents, Hobbits, Dwarves, Huorns, and other Middle Earthlings. There are now less than four days until the Entmoot Presidential Elections. For those who haven't decided, this speach will change help you. For those who have decided on a different canidate, this may alter you desicion.

September 22, 1999, dmaul966 registered at Entmoot, only three days after Benjamin's Tolkien Board opens. Since then, dmaul966 changed his username several times, as the board's name changed to Entmoot. Several months later, on November 12, 1999, captain Tarpols registers at Entmoot, and on February 24, 2000, gdl96 turns 14 and HOBBIT is registered. Many months later, on July 21, 2000, Gilthalion registers here. He soon reaches 500 posts, long after the many usernames of Greg have accumulated that amount.

Now, October 2000, the Presidential Elections start getting very heated. It is basically split between a hero, a vigorous poster, and the creative on. The one that made the gdl era.

Heroism, in my words, is the chance of being in the right place, at the right time, with the right attitude. It is a great thing when youn are a hero of something, but being a hero involves luck. You can't just say "I'm gonna be a hero". HOBBIT got lucky. He also had the right attitude. He did a very great thing. And if he wasn't at the right place at the right time, someone else, or even nobody, would have been ther hero. Even I can be considered the hero of the Canada Wars. Although, if I never created them, or if I never had the right attitide of being nice, they might still be raging today.

Now we come to Gil. I'll try not to say how he hasn't done much. He has kept this board alove with lots of posting while I was in my "slumps". He has had great ideas and indroduced us to many things, such as grits. He kept the board alive, but not in the same way I keep this board alive. It is unquestionable how creative I am. Nobody can doubt it. Nobody.

I have been at this board almost as long as HOBBIT and Gil combined. I have experiance. I have kept this board alive at its lowest points. Yet, I have nothing to show for it. No custom title. No powers. Nothing. All I have is people here knowing who I am and refering to me occasionally. I deserve something. This election isn't much, but it's something.. And that is better than nothing. And if this election is all I get, so be it. If I don't get this election, so be it. If I never get more than I do now, so be it. I won't let it affect me, and I will keep this board alive. Always.

Old 10-28-2000, 10:53 PM   #122
Darth Tater

Re: Your opinion

The President will have little real power, just letting you know. How the board looks usually goes through me, new forums are all up to admins and we don't like new forums. We had a gaming forum once but it died so we killed it.

Old 10-28-2000, 11:13 PM   #123
Johnny Lurker

Steppin' on up to the microphone...

"It is unquestionable how creative I am. Nobody can doubt it."

I doubt it. Perhaps it's simply because I haven't seen much of your posts, or the campaign-button scandal, or... well, who knows.

Although some of your spelling is definitely creative...

"We'll have to find someone who doesn't like bourbon"

That'd be me.

*takes a long pull of non-alcoholic grog*

Old 10-29-2000, 01:44 AM   #124
Gilthalion

Answering the Public(unlike selfabsorbedopponents)

What do you intend to do in order to show Entmoot's multination-representation more clearly?

I am on the record for supporting multicultural diversity by restoring regional autonomy and respect for all the world's cultures. It may be recalled that I argued that French should not be banned from the board.

In the future, and you don't need a President for this, I would suggest posting a thread entitled with the name of your native land! This will encourage folk to see why you are proud of your heritage and to learn more. You may be surprised by the number of folk who have studied or visited your land and who appreciate your culture. You may even find folk who share your nationality!

Even folk from far away Uzbekistan have taken an interest in the ENTMOOT!

Old 10-29-2000, 03:11 AM   #125
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: Answering the Public(unlike selfabsorbedopponents)

That was actually my question, which somehow ended up under my brother's name... Don't ask how, I don't know.

There's a second part, What could be done to promote Entmoot's multiculturatism?

Old 10-29-2000, 07:30 AM   #126
anduin

Dang, I wanna play! ;)

Bull....there is always more to you than meets the eye! Great questions BTW, wish I could answer them or at least counter.....

Alas, it is a sad day to be an admin/mod.

Old 10-29-2000, 12:19 PM   #127
Bullroarer

Re: Dang, I wanna play! ;)

What's there to see? [besides a hobbit picture (that is gettin old)]

Or is that what your getting at?

Old 10-29-2000, 08:25 PM   #128
anduin

I simply meant that you should never underestimate a Hobbit.

Old 10-30-2000, 04:05 PM   #129
Darth Tater

Why's it a sad day to be an admin/mod anduin? We're just as evil and overlordish as ever!

Old 10-30-2000, 06:19 PM   #130
noldo

Like Elbreth, I too would like to know what could be done for the multiculturalism of the board?

All this Americanized stuff makes me want to...

Old 10-31-2000, 12:38 AM   #131
anduin

How about you recruit some of your friends that aren't American to join Entmoot? The more particpants from other countries the less it will seem so Americanized. Currently that is the Nature of The Board.

Tater: *snork*

Old 10-31-2000, 01:34 AM   #132
Darth Tater

The following little exchange is from a chat I just had with Tristan.

HOBBIT:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp ben is a weirdo. he just came inot my room and hit me

Darth Tater:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp why'd he hit you?

HOBBIT:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp maybe because i might have first. but i don't think i did

Now isn't this the man, er, Hobbit, who should be president?

Old 10-31-2000, 03:15 AM   #133
bmilder

I didn't hit him! At least, not today, that I can recall. He's making that one up .

Old 10-31-2000, 03:55 AM   #134
captain Tarpols

yeah, you did :P Remember? you walked into me room and started looking at my papers. I wanted you to leave, but you wouldn't. So i had to get you out by force You claimed that i twisted your hand.(but i don't think i did ) So you hit me really hard on the back But we were both cranky. anyways, now we are friends again

Old 10-31-2000, 03:57 AM   #135
Elbreth of Carhouth

No, that sounds like a Hobbit who wants sympathy, and will do anything to get it, if only people will vote for him. He knows he's already losing...

Old 10-31-2000, 01:44 PM   #136
Gilthalion

Follow up questions about Multiculturalism!

This is an international board, and as President of an international community, I will encourage pride in cultural heritage and tolerance for every culture.

Anduin has a point about international recruitment. Currently, we have a few Europeans, a lot of Americans, quite a few Canadians (French & Anglo), one Uzbekistani (running for President), and one Southerner (me). There may be more. It seems to me that there is a thread where folk have posted information about themselves. I suggest a study.

Also, I previously made a suggestion that you folk who want to increase awareness of your nationality, might post a thread entitled with the name of your country or region. You'll be surprised at the effect that may have!

An ENTMOOT President should not be an authoritarian figure. Rather, he (or one day she), should attempt to be a facilitator in the community. Though there is leadership, an ENTMOOT is a quite democratic gathering, as a meeting of individuals should be. We are not crowning a king or a queen after all!

The Internet forces a kind of democratic culture in any event. We cannot force free individuals on this wild frontier to repress their culture. But we can encourage free expression and tolerance, while enforcing certain necessary rules of decency and justice.

Americans, blessed as we are with more Liberty and Prosperity than even our Founders believed that Freedom could bring, often forget that the rest of the world has not lived as we have, and has watched our struggle of scarce two centuries with both bitter and glorious experiences of many, many centuries.

It's just too bad we're not all from Middle-earth!

But would it be any different? Or would you Elves and Dwarves and Hobbits and such look at the Boromir across the table, boasting of stalwart Gondor, and agree with much of what he says, and yet, by necessity have a view of more of Middle-earth than Gondor alone, important though it is?

Old 10-31-2000, 08:17 PM   #137
gdl96

Re: Follow up questions about Multiculturalism!

I think that we'd pay more attention to the other nationalities if you brought attention to your self. Being Uzbekistani-American, and making peace with Canada, I feel that multiculteralism is very important. Although, we can't just guess what you are, you must make it so we all know what nationality you are.

By the way, voting starts today!

Old 10-31-2000, 11:31 PM   #138
Darth Tater

People of Entmoot, I have a question for you. Should admins/mods be allowed to vote? Originally I said no since we would be moderating the debate, but it seems that fell apart (I had nothing to do with it! Really! ) so should we have the vote?

Old 11-01-2000, 12:35 AM   #139
HOBBIT

I'd say YES! But i bet everyone else, especially Gil will say NO. Their reason would be "no its not fair, they are all supporting HOBBIT" Well, they have to support someone! Come on, its only fair that all entmooters vote!! And not all of teh admins and mods support me Just most. It would benifit all of the candidates...

Old 11-01-2000, 02:01 AM   #140
gdl96

I think mods should be able to vote. Not admins, cuz they're all supporting HOBBIT