Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #121
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I've been out of town this weekend, so I haven't seen the newest, therefore NOT READING NOT READING NOT READING! ><

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #122
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
I think Amy's pregnant with Dr. Who .... he gets reborn that way instead of regenerating.
And he gets reborn as a girl! Who's for the six-year-old-girl-Doctor hypothesis?

So, either
a) we have some Doctamy hanky panky.
b) Amy gets preggers with Doctor.
c) Maybe the Doctor just regenerates this way?

OR, is this possibly Jenny?

Still, how is the whole Eleventh-Doctor-getting-killed-thing resolved? Or is this not yet clear?

Quote:
And in the nitpicky category - what happens to the alien bodies when the Earthlings kill them? Are we constantly stepping over them and forgetting it? Or do they conveniently evaporate?
I wondered that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post

and poor river.. the last time she got to kiss the doctor. :/
I know!!! Her face just killed me!!!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #123
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

hehe, it's a fun hypothesis, but i don't think i can say i'm for it. although i have been waiting for the doctor to regenerate into a female..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #124
Draken
Elf Lord

So did the Silence destroy the Tardis in revenge? If so, how? If the Silence have spent all of time since 1969 fleeing an ever-expanding, unwittingly-genocidal human race, have they been forced to spread to other worlds? Did they use their post-hypnotically suggestive ways to put together that unlikely Pandorica-building alliance? Just why did they want to get hold of a spacesuit and (assuming it was their doing) strap a little girl in it while giving her the means to call for help? She seemed more significant to them than mere bait.

What did they mean by telling Amy that she will "bring the Silence?". As they had her in the same vessel that was in The Lodger, and that we were told then was a sort-of-TARDIS, presumably they can travel in time - which would explain why they claimed to have had her there for "many days". The woman at the orphanage looking through a non-existent hatch and pronouncing "she's only dreaming" - what was THAT about?

As for the positive/negative pregnancy scan - I wonder if that means that Amy being pregnant is one of those turning points in time, one that hasn't been resolved yet?

And a full-blown Timelord-style regeneration from the little girl to finish with! Not Jenny's "a little cough of energy and look I'm better" - a proper one.

What makes speculation so difficult is that Moffat understands the blogiverse and fandom in general. He know how our minds work and that's helping him generate more questions than answers with every episode, damn him.

As for the episode itself - loved it. The opening sequence was audacious in its misdirection, Canton was great, poor deranged Renfrew was great (the orphange sequence was straight out of Call of Cthulhu), the solution was fabulously inventive.

As for dead Silence putrefaction - our minds edit out all information about them, remember - so I'm guessing that would include odours etc too!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #125
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
The woman at the orphanage looking through a non-existent hatch and pronouncing "she's only dreaming" - what was THAT about?
Yeah, that was REALLLY weird!!

Quote:
As for dead Silence putrefaction - our minds edit out all information about them, remember - so I'm guessing that would include odours etc too!
Maybe that's why we evolved walking - we're actually lifting our feet to step over those dead bodies until they're eaten by Vashta Nerada!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #126
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
poor deranged Renfrew was great (the orphange sequence was straight out of Call of Cthulhu)
Totally.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #127
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes!!

Dr Who alert - I was watching a 1996 movie called "Jude" because I saw Christopher Eccleston was in it (it's fun to watch the Doctors in other roles), and after about 40 minutes, there's a scene in a pub, and guess who pops up to talk to him? David Tennant!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #128
Nerdanel

Quote:
Yes!!

Dr Who alert - I was watching a 1996 movie called "Jude" because I saw Christopher Eccleston was in it (it's fun to watch the Doctors in other roles), and after about 40 minutes, there's a scene in a pub, and guess who pops up to talk to him? David Tennant!
haha, i saw that as well.. it was an awesome moment.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #129
BeardofPants
the Shrike

River Song = the Astronaut (aka Amy's kid)?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #130
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
River Song = the Astronaut (aka Amy's kid)?
perhaps. it seems like it's too obvious, though.. and moffat doesn't seem to like obvious.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #131
Rían

Quote:
haha, i saw that as well.. it was an awesome moment.
And Tennant was so Doctor Who there, too! So crazy-energy like!

Anyone see anyone else from the Whoniverse in movies/on tv? Anyone ever seen Rose? I think I've seen Catherine Tate once on some other program., but can't remember what it was. But seeing TWO doctors like that so totally unexpectedly was sure fun

I rewatched some Torchwood t'other day - the one about Adam, the memory guy - kind of similar to the current memory aliens. That was an interesting concept, too.

Last edited by Rían : 05-06-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #132
Nerdanel

Quote:
Anyone see anyone else from the Whoniverse in movies/on tv? Anyone ever seen Rose? I think I've seen Catherine Tate once on some other program., but can't remember what it was. But seeing TWO doctors like that so totally unexpectedly was sure fun
i've seen john simm (the master) in several shows, of which life on mars is my favourite. great, great show, and simm is a very good actor.

i saw christopher eccleston in 28 days later, and was horrified that the doctor could be so evil. :P

i've seen david tennant in quite a few shows/movies.. seeing him in casanova was hilarious and weird, in einstein and eddington he played eddington with andy serkis as einstein and did a really good job, he was the only one that made the quatermass experiment watchable, and i have the dvd but yet haven't seen him in hamlet.

it's always weird to see them in other roles, but most of them are good enough actors that you forget about it after a while..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #133
Rían

Quote:
i have the dvd but yet haven't seen him in hamlet.
Hamlet is bloody marvellous!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #134
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
perhaps. it seems like it's too obvious, though.. and moffat doesn't seem to like obvious.
I thought so at first too, but didn't she mention that she met him as a young girl? Or am I mis-remembering? I *am* torn by the whole --it seems obvious-- and how neatly it fits. The astro- girl appears to kill him, and River is obvi in prison for something bad... and then there's the whole weird bit with the tardis glittery yellow stuff coming out of both the doctor and the girl. What the hell? My brain hurts.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #135
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
I think I've seen Catherine Tate once on some other program, but can't remember what it was.
I'm guessing the Catherine Tate Show, featuring (among others) the magnificent Nan Taylor.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #136
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
i've seen john simm (the master) in several shows, of which life on mars is my favourite. great, great show, and simm is a very good actor.

i saw christopher eccleston in 28 days later, and was horrified that the doctor could be so evil. :P

i've seen david tennant in quite a few shows/movies.. seeing him in casanova was hilarious and weird, in einstein and eddington he played eddington with andy serkis as einstein and did a really good job, he was the only one that made the quatermass experiment watchable, and i have the dvd but yet haven't seen him in hamlet.

it's always weird to see them in other roles, but most of them are good enough actors that you forget about it after a while..
I usually enjoy seeing famous actors in other roles. The only Doctors I have seen in other roles were:

Tom Baker in
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)
The Silver Chair (TV Series 1990)

Peter Davison in
The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (TV mini-series 1981)
All Creatures Great and Small (TV Series 1978–1990)

David Prowse (Darth Vader) was also in "The Hitch Hikers Guide"

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #137
Draken
Elf Lord

Catherine Tate was in the Catherine Tate show? You get all the difficult ones, Gwai!

Peter Davison was also in A Very Peculiar Practice which was quite good, and The Last Detective, which I never watched.

Rian, they filmed a lot of Jude here at Durham. I often cross the bridge where he had a scene with Kate Winslet.

John Simms has just starred in Exile. Both he and it were marvellous. And you're right, Nerdanel, Life On Mars was just about the best thing ever.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #138
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Catherine Tate was in the Catherine Tate show? You get all the difficult ones, Gwai!
Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #139
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Anyone see anyone else from the Whoniverse in movies/on tv?
I once saw a younger Catherine Tate in an Agatha Christie movie as a paranoid russian housemaid. Rubbish russian accent, was rather hilarious.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #140
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Anyone see anyone else from the Whoniverse in movies/on tv?
Martha is on the UK Law and Order. Not bad show, but they are rerunning many episodes from the original L&O (polished up for UK locale).

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote