Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2002, 09:08 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Wait - Canada has a history seperate from the United States? Just kidding, honestly - but couldn't resist.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 12:17 AM   #2
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Aye, Wayfarer. I believe it is better to be safe than sorry as far as the soul is concerned.

And Laurelyn, regarding multiple "universes" or what I like to call the existence of a "multiverse", my position is that it is possible but not necessarily true nor false until I get convincing facts. In this case, it will neither hurt nor make me better off being wrong or right in whether or not it exists.

Now people can start talking about whether the light turns off when you close the refrigerator; but I guess the gods in this case are the manufacturers and most of us know where the switch is.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 03:06 AM   #3
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Pascal's Wager, eh Arathorn?
I suppose I'm firmly convinced that 'the proof is in the pudding'.

Actually, FrodoFriend... My logic is correct. If my religion says 'this is the only universe' then there cannot be multiple universes in which each religion is true. Because that would make my religion untrue. Et Cetera. Perfectly logical.

Speaking of logic... As you pointed out, anything that arises from an illogical cause cannot be logical or trustworthy in itself. So if there isn't a logical God (or some similar logical entity) to create the world, then you and everything you think has arisen from an illogical cause. Thus, none of it is rational or worth considering, and any arguments that there is no logical creative force are defeated by their own conclusion that that we are the result of an irrational cause. ]: )
I think you misunderstood what I meant. I think there could be multiple universes, and a God in each one of them. Just because your religion says there is only one universe doesn't mean it's true. I'm only trying to point out that all these Gods/afterlives might exist.

As for a logical God/entity . . . evolution is more logical than any God/entity. Just because there isn't one supernatural, all-powerful guiding force doesn't make it illogical. Hence, since it is logical, the world created through it can still be rational and worth considering.

Just curious: What do you think is the point of living? I was discussing this with a friend the other day. She is a strong believer in fate and was upset because, by her logic, if everything is already set and determined by God, what's the point in doing anything? On the other hand, if everything is completely random and meaningless by evolution, well, that's not cool either.
Personally I feel that all the meaning in my life comes from other people, my friendships with them and their complexity and imperfectibility. It would be nice to know, though. Or maybe not.

Whew! Metaphysics is interesting. I love my avatar!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 03:41 AM   #4
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Just curious: What do you think is the point of living? I was discussing this with a friend the
other day. She is a strong believer in fate and was upset because, by her logic, if everything
is already set and determined by God, what's the point in doing anything? On the other
hand, if everything is completely random and meaningless by evolution, well, that's not cool
either.
I think the answer lies in the need to answer just that question. I know it's cyclical but why kill yourself (hypothetically, that is)when it is more interesting to hang around and find out what happens next while your alive in the world and in society.

Regarding if everything is already set and determined by God, I think I have nothing to worry about. I'll do what I think is right and go on for the ride (think calm streams then rapids then rivers, etc). I was also taught that I was given some free will.

On the other hand, if everything is random, I think the I still have some influence of what goes on.

That brings us back to books and drugs. When you read a book, you can completely control the experience by either believing or disbelieving what is written. When you imagine the world that is written, you are the god of that world.

With drugs, sometimes you can't control that world. Youre at the mercy of the dosage, your predisposition, your more active than usual imagination, etc.

BTW, nice Avatar you got there FrodoFriend.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-02-2002 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:51 AM   #5
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Thanks! I love my avatar!

Plus books are much cheaper than drugs. And more convenient. You don't have to sniff things up your nose or stick needles into yourself to get books. And when someone recommends a book to you, you don't have to report them to the police.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 02-02-2002, 02:28 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Books are better than drugs because, no matter how many of them you have in your locker, you're not going to get into trouble.

Book are better than drugs because you don't have to sit in a 'readers' section in public places.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:41 PM   #7
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

I was GONNA write that "Books are Better Than Drugs" because you can't get addicted to books, but I don't have time--I'm late for my Tolkien-aholics Anonymous meeting.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 05:03 PM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Books are better than drugs because they don't make you smell odd.

Books are better than drugs because . . . well, I've never tried drugs, so by default books are better!

Old 02-02-2002, 07:34 PM   #9
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by ragamuffin92
I was GONNA write that "Books are Better Than Drugs" because you can't get addicted to books, but I don't have time--I'm late for my Tolkien-aholics Anonymous meeting.
Oh, really? Does the Tolkien-aholics Anonymous group accept new members?

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 07:37 PM   #10
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

You will be welcomed with open arms. Just memorize this phrase: "My name is Laurelyn, and I'm a Tolkien-aholic." Coffee and donuts served afterwards, smoking allowed outside only. And NO SURNAMES!!

Last edited by ragamuffin92 : 02-02-2002 at 07:39 PM.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 08:40 PM   #11
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Books are better than drugs because if you read a book in front of your parents, you are praised.

Books are better than drugs because most of them make you smarter, not dumber.

Oh, FF, I believe the meaning of life is to live for Christ and live your life to it's full potential. Perhaps I am a Christian humanist? Hmm...::laugh:: I dont think that everythign is already set out to happen...I believe in something called 'alternate predestination' (I made that up, but it makes sense)....it's confusing and long winded though.

But I do'nt care if you don't believe the same as me, you're still cool.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:13 AM   #12
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Books are better and drugs because you can share them with your friends and not have to worry about getting any nasty disease passed on.

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Wait - Canada has a history seperate from the United States? Just kidding, honestly - but couldn't resist.
Yah yah! It actually is a little bit different. For one thing, there's less of it. It's shorter and there are fewer wars, so we got to learn about fun stuff like the "furniture scandal" to fill the time. I remember learning about one prime minister, whose term was distinguished by the fact that while he was in office, nothing happened. Most of the important characters in the early history were Scotsman, for reasons I'm not quite sure of. So I managed to pass tests by answering names I wasn't sure of by guessing any random Scottish sounding name. Mac....Dougall? Mac...Gonagall? Mac...Leod?
Yeah... it was fun.
Quote:
I believe the meaning of life is to live for Christ and live your life to it's full potential.
Ok. Just because I'm not Christian, I can't use the first part. Not a value judgement, it's just not applicable in my case. But the second part works fine for me.
Whatever our purpose is, we are here now. So let's get out there and makes something of it. Maybe we will even fulfill our purpose that way.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 02:35 AM   #13
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish

But I do'nt care if you don't believe the same as me, you're still cool.
Thanks, and ditto!

I dunno . . . if Christ exists, I doubt he needs me to live for him. So I'll just live the best I can and hopefully it'll satisfy whoever's watching up there! And there isn't anyone, well that's okay too!

Books are better than drugs because . . . book hallucinations are more fun than drug hallucinations.

"Bookworm" sounds better than "stoner."

Old 02-03-2002, 10:02 AM   #14
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I have been trying to keep out of this arguement. I don't think that arguing really works to prove Christianity. I am really sorry some of you are so "lost" in you beliefs, and I hope that you will one day find the truth. But, I don't dislike any just because you are not a Christian, and I hope it doesn't put a "barrier" between any of us.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:24 AM   #15
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think I gave a mouthful into this discussion because I find it fascinating. I come from a very catholic country (about 80 to 90%) and its interesting for me to see how other people's beliefs are different or similar to mine.

After a while it gets pretty boring with many of the people your with being taught to think a certain belief and everyone avoiding discussions for fear of being called blasphemous. Good thing I don't live in one of those countries where it is a state offense as well (death penalty).

I respect and find everyone here quite interesting and fun to talk to as well.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 02-03-2002, 12:03 PM   #16
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
I am really sorry some of you are so "lost" in you beliefs, and I hope that you will one day find the truth.
Differing beliefs doesn't put a barrier between me and other people. But I think it is arrogant and condescending to say that if someone doesn't believe like you do that they are "lost". I could say the same about you - or anybody that doesn't believe the same as I do. But I don't. Other people's belief's don't affect me - unless they kill for them - or try to force them on me.

Mirrille - That was funny. I have a friend that lives in Canada - so I'm always teasing her.

I've never had a friend in a coma for 7 days from reading a book, although I did have a friend in a coma from a drug overdose.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 12:10 PM   #17
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

emplynx, you obviously have not been trying to keep out of the 'argument' hard enough. Please be quite. Nottice that I said please. We are not discussing that any more..........so enough with all that.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 01:37 PM   #18
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
But I think it is arrogant and condescending to say that if someone doesn't believe like you do that they are "lost".
I am not saying that people who differ in belief from me are lost. I am speaking of people who are truely confused, "lost", in what they believe. I am sorry if it came across as arrogant or condescending, I didn't mean it that way.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:08 PM   #19
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

emplynx, if you're referring to me, I don't feel "lost" at all. Why should I have to find the "truth" in my lifetime? If I knew everything, life would be boring. I am perfectly content to let life be a mystery. After death, I'll know. Actually, I think it's a bit arrogant for people to claim they know for sure all about life/death/God, etc.

ANYWAY,

Books are better than drugs!!!

Sorry, HOBBIT, but it's hard to stay out of a discussion like this!

Last edited by FrodoFriend : 02-03-2002 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:06 PM   #20
emplynx

FF, I wasn't refering to anyone in particular...