Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2002, 03:58 PM   #101
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hey, Nurvingiel - pretty avatar! I can't read it, though - what does it say? (or is it just for looks?) And congrats on becoming a Hobbit And welcome from me, too, Sparky Is the "Ni" from Monty Python's classic movie?

And let me add Ulmo to my list (Manwe and Varda mentioned in my previous post). I like how it says he "loves both Elves and Men, and never abandoned them, not even when they lay under the wrath of the Valar." And I LOVE that section where Iluvatar trumps Melkor by turning bitter cold into something that makes the lovely snow and frost, and unrestrained heat into something that makes the clouds, and the mist, and the rain, "and in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest."

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-19-2002 at 04:07 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 03:54 PM   #102
Sparky
Sapling

Yes "ni" is from Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail. I love that movie!!!! Monty Python is awesome
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 04:42 PM   #103
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think I'll pop by the video store and rent it tonight - haven't seen it for ages, and I'm in the mood for some silly entertainment

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-20-2002, 08:13 PM   #104
Ealenwe
Sapling

Good evening. Are we talking about the Knights who say "ni"? Funny movie. I am dlighted to find this Entmoot. And am looking forward to knowing it better.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:15 PM   #105
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Welcome to the board Ealenwe, enjoy.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:17 PM   #106
Rían

Welcome, Ealenwe! Congrats on your first post There's so many fun threads here, you're sure to find lots that you like!

Old 09-21-2002, 08:09 AM   #107
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Welcmome! hope you'll enjoy the moot.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 05:35 PM   #108
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider Welcome to the moot.

I hope you have fun.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:27 PM   #109
Ealenwe
Sapling

Good evening! Thank you for the warm welcome. Finding out about the various threads will prove interesting I'm sure!

Reading back it seems we are naming favourite Valar. I can't say I have a favourite character in any of the books (although I named a few in the 'profile'). Each seems relevant in their own way and contribute to the whole individually. BUT, I am very fond of Varda and Yavanna.

I have often felt sympathetic toward Melkor. It is certainly a grave responsibility to originate 'sin' (so to speak). One wonders if Feanor would have eventually manifested greed and anger had there not been a Melkor?

I especially like the bit between Aule, Yavanna, and Manwe. Aule remarks that the Elves, Dwarves and Men will need wood and cut down 'her' trees. Going to Manwe, Yavanna eventually comes away with the promise of Shepards (Ents presumably). Aule simply says no matter, wood will still be needed. I am touched by her compassion and recognition of all living beings having importance and then Aule's pragmatic understanding of the nature of evolution. Quite provocative.

Have any of you read the conclusion of the Quenta Silmarillion in the Lost Road? There is an account of the End of Melkor.

Last edited by Ealenwe : 09-21-2002 at 08:51 PM.
Ealenwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 03:30 PM   #110
Sparky
Sapling

Yeah I feel sympathy for Melkor too. Someone should seriously start a Melkor fan club.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 04:14 PM   #111
Rían

Ealenwe - interesting bit about the end of Melkor - I had never heard of it before. I guess I'll have to trot over to the bookstore and check it out. As of now, I only (!) have LoTR, Sil, Letters, and Morgoth's Ring. I sure wish the HoME books were less expensive!
WoTJ and PoME are currently at the top of my wish list. Do you have Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien? REALLY good, IMHO!

Old 09-23-2002, 05:36 PM   #112
Ealenwe
Sapling

Not meaning to discourage you from acquiring the Lost Road, of course, but the account is as follows:

Thus spake Mandos in prophecy, when the Gods sat in judgement in Valinor, and the rumour of his words was whispered among all the Elves of the West. When the world is old and the pPowers grow weary, the Morgoth, seeing that the guard sleepeth, shall come back through the Door of Night out of the Timeless Void, and he shall destroy the Sun and Moon. But Earendel shall descend upon him as a white and searing flame and drive him from the airs. Then shall the Last Battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day Tulkus shall strive with Morgoth, and on his right hand shall be Fionwe, and on his left, Turin Turambar, son of Hurin, coming from the halls of Mandos; and the black sword of Turin shall deal unto Morgoth his death and final end; and so shall the children of Hurin and all Men be avenged.

Thereafter shall Earth be broken and re-made; and the Silmarils shall be recovered out of Air and Earth and Sea; for Earendel shall descend and surrender that flame which he hath had in keeping. Then Feanor shall take the Three Jewels and bear them to Yavanna Palurien; and she will break them and with their fire rekindle the Two Trees, and a great light shall come forth. And the Mountains of Valinor shall be levelled, so that the Light shall go out over all the world. In that light the Gods will grow young again, and the Elves awake and all their dead arise, and the purpose of Iluvatar be fulfilled concerning them. But of Men in that day the prophecy of Mandos doth not speak, and no Man it names, save Turin only, and to him a place is given among the sons of the Valar.

Last edited by Ealenwe : 09-23-2002 at 05:38 PM.
Ealenwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 12:15 AM   #113
Rían

Thanks for the excerpt, Ealenwe. And that's where the Turin thing comes in, too - I had heard about it, but didn't know where it was. I wonder why Tolkien chose Turin? A topic for a whole new thread, I suppose... I always liked how his dad was so steadfast. What a sad story.

Old 05-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #114
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

uh, I have to pick up this topic again.

Lords of the Valar
• Manwë Súlimo
• Ulmo
• Aulë the Smith
• Oromë
• Mandos (Námo)
• Lórien (Irmo)
• Tulkas Astaldo

Queens of the Valar (Valier)
• Varda Elentári
• Yavanna Kementári
• Nienna
• Estë the Gentle
• Vairë the Weaver
• Vána the Ever-young
• Nessa

I think I like Varda the best. She made the stars. that was always very impressive to me.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:09 PM   #115
celeb-galad
Hobbit

Irmo - the Vala of dreams and visions.
celeb-galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 02:26 PM   #116
Finarwe
Enting

I like all Valar (even Melkor), recalling the books. Every Valar fits in his place, thaks to the great author.

But for private "use":

Varda - when I'm working in planetarium
Ulmo - driving down our lokal river in a boat
Aulë - when I'm creating sculpures
Yavanna - working in my garden
Nienna - when I'm unhappy
Nessa - when I'm so happy, that I like to dance
Estë - when when I take care of hurt animals

Seriously, I'm not praying to them, but somtimes I think about Tolkiens Valar doing those things/work.

A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!
silivren penna m?*riel
o menel aglar elenath,
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Finarwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 09:57 PM   #117
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Orome
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:53 PM   #118
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Varda, Manwe, Ulmo, Nienna, Yavanna...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:02 AM   #119
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Ulmo, he was secretive most of the time but even after the rest of the Valar had turned away from the troubles of Middle Earth he held the most compassion still for it's inhabitants.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 11:31 AM   #120
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

oh my goodness....let's see..I gues my fav whould have to be Yavanna...although Melkor is a close second
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote