Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-08-2002, 04:28 PM   #101
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I honestly believe that if elves existed today they would resemble something a geek, only more physical.

I assume you wanted to say "something like a geek"

However, I do not know what the image of geek is to you.

I think of homely, poor fashion, couch potatoes.

But, I beg to differ. I think they would be more along the lines of refined and cultured ballerinas.

Quote:
But to be honest, there are only three choices for the straight guys as a mate in LotR: Arwen, Eowyn, and Galadriel. Goldberry's taken.
They are ALL taken.

But we still can dream on.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-08-2002 at 04:32 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 04:43 PM   #102
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"But, I beg to differ. I think they would be more along the lines of refined and cultured ballerinas."

Agreed, afro-elf. Elves looking like "geeks" just don't fit.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 05:45 PM   #103
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Arwen the Evenstar of her people.

See, I've got this problem with Liv Tyler and it won't go away... (drools on self)

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 08:42 PM   #104
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Well if Arwen looks like Liv you can have her.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-08-2002, 11:50 PM   #105
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I gotta agree with you there, afro-elf. I've always had a "thing" about Liv Tyler's looks too, and it ain't positive. Now don't get me wrong, I think she did a good job in the role as written, but the girl just don't get my blood a pumping, if'n ya knows what I means...

Only girls in the film I thought were all that "hot" were Rosie Cotton and a couple of the Hobbit-lasses who "oooohed" and "aaahed" over Gandalf's fireworks at the Birthday Party. I have a feeling they were just local Wellington girls but they had really beautiful smiles....and no, Kate Blanchett don't do it for me either...though she did a good job as Galadriel and as the narrator...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:10 AM   #106
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I missed the movie while in Thailand. The there was a midnight showing but my plane left at 3:00. I hope it is still playing there when I go back in about 5 weeks. ( one of the few good things about this damn country is I get decent vacations)
Anyway, the point being is that I'll have to wait see if there is anyone in the movie to whom I can fawn over.

Did they show any other Elven women besides Galadriel and Arwen?

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-09-2002, 12:09 PM   #107
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Actually, afro-elf, they DO show other Elven women besides Arwen and Galadriel, but mostly only in "long shots" so you don't get a real good look at 'em.

Just curious: what country are you in?
Old 01-09-2002, 12:24 PM   #108
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Well if Arwen looks like Liv you can have her.
Yes, I understand that she is not everyone's cup of tea. It'll help keep my jealously under control.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:47 PM   #109
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Bropous, I'm a a second string Esl Professor in a bottomline city in country that would make the Woses seem like they were the Calaquendi.

I am in Saudi Arabia.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-09-2002, 06:34 PM   #110
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Oh, my God.

You must be STARVED for the sight of a Western female! I know I would be...

May Melkor take the Saud Family with him to the Utter Darkness...only problem is, the only alternatives are the Wahabi freaks...
Old 01-09-2002, 06:35 PM   #111
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hmmm...

Anyone remember which of the Valier were single?
Old 01-09-2002, 07:14 PM   #112
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Western women? As in square dancin' chicks?

Hell, I'm starved for the sight of ANY woman. I see more on Tusken Raider and Jawa women.

The saving grace is that I get a little over 3 months vacation ( two of which are paid) spread over the year, which with I can escape.

After being many places, I went to Thailand for Ramadan break and it seems to be the remedy to my Far Harad blues.

Heading there again in about 5 weeks.

I find living here has completely and utterly destroyed any respect I may have for Islam and soured me on many things aside from just that.

Why I do I stay? I wanna go back to school and I wanna save enough so I don't have to work while I study( as I teacher, I NOW truly understand the commitment needed to be a student) and I wanna set aside enough for anothers BS and a another MS.

I wanna leave the liberal arts behind and move into science, which means I REALLY have to buckle down. There is tad room for BOVINE DEFICATION in science. Quite unlike my current degrees.

Wasn't the single Valier the depressed one?

With my current mental state she might commit suicide.

Just give me a Quendi girl.

"Yo! Where the Quendi girls at?"

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-09-2002, 08:16 PM   #113
Gandalf The Grey
Hobbit

Re:Lotr mate

For me it would be Galadriel
Gandalf The Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:00 AM   #114
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Ah, afro-elf, just don't go wandering the An Nefud or the Ar Rub-al-Khali chasing camels, or even worse, Bedouin women! Ewwww!

Just hang on for that five weeks til you make it back to the "land of the "LBFM"! LOL!

Well-met, afro-elf!
Old 01-10-2002, 09:07 AM   #115
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Likewise!

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-10-2002, 09:21 AM   #116
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Did you spent any time out this way yourself?

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-10-2002, 02:41 PM   #117
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Never been out of the US, afro-elf, just a lover of maps, history and politics...
Old 01-10-2002, 04:59 PM   #118
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Well, you could be a member of my ring destroying fellowship anytime.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-10-2002, 05:07 PM   #119
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Legolas. I have a thing for long hair, blonde hair and pointy ears. Mmm...elves. Also, I like bowmen. I shoot guns, and I've tried bows...it's fairly hard!
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 06:09 PM   #120
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Hmm..I was looking through the older posts, and Inoldonil said a lot of stuff about being young and well learned = no girlfriend, well...actually, I am very attracted to a good friend of mine who is fifteen (I am too), who is 'well learned'.
So you'll find that well learned lady out there somewhere
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote