Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #101
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

A new discussion is going on in the punditry world...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #102
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz View Post
Ok, I get it. You're a raving Democrat.
Nope. I just hate cheating and hypocrisy. I'm madder at McCain about his wife swappage than his hawkish attitudes. Doesn't it bother you at all that these people LIE about ordinary things? I've met Santorum a couple of times...he's an affable guy with a big smile. But, dude, pay for your kids in private school...don't stick the taxpayers in your own district with the bill.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #103
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
Nope. I just hate cheating and hypocrisy. I'm madder at McCain about his wife swappage than his hawkish attitudes. Doesn't it bother you at all that these people LIE about ordinary things? I've met Santorum a couple of times...he's an affable guy with a big smile. But, dude, pay for your kids in private school...don't stick the taxpayers in your own district with the bill.

Hmm. I think I heard something about that in 2006.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 01-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #104
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

His Senate income, alone, was $157,000 annually. The median family income in Penn Hills is $46,971. The bill for ONE year of his 5 kids' cyber-charter was $38,000 EACH. A population of 46,809 in the district.

If Rick Santorum, the conservative, wants me to respect him, he should:
a)figure out where he lives...I'm betting the 8 of them live in the big house, not the 3 bedroom with 2 baths one.
b)take his homeschooling issue to the state of Virginia, where it belongs. Education is not a national issue, for conservatives. If you don't like the laws in your state, work to change them.
c)Pay back the school district, and apologise to Patrick Henry for using their intern as a nanny. Some things are the right thing to do, Richard. Man up.

If I saw him do something like that, I'd be handing out flyers for the man 12 hours later. But I won't.

Conservatives aren't the problem. Liberals aren't the problem. People who think they're entitled to goodies at their neighbors' expense, THEY are the problem.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 01-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #105
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Thanks for the linky sis. I like how your system gets people fired up at the grass roots. But it's a weird one all right.

Interesting reflection of cultural differences there: in these parts, it's the politician who sends their kids to private schools who gets charged with hypocrisy ("state schools not good enough for your diddums?")
Old 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #106
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Thanks for the linky sis. I like how your system gets people fired up at the grass roots. But it's a weird one all right.

Interesting reflection of cultural differences there: in these parts, it's the politician who sends their kids to private schools who gets charged with hypocrisy ("state schools not good enough for your diddums?")
That happens here, too, You're always happy to have a candidate who has kids in the public school system, particularly for Dems. Republicans are assumed to have more elitist patterns.

The thing about Santorum's situation is that he let down fundamentalist homeschoolers, as much as the poor taxpayers from his district. The publicly supported cyber racket is money straight into the coffers of the Right. $38,000 is a whole lot of cabbage, to educate one kid.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #107
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
cyber racket

Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #108
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I've read all the new posts and there's a lot going on.

Telcontorian, I looked at the article too and it certainly suggests there's something wrong with your electoral system. I always thought you guys should have hand-counted paper ballots like us, but maybe it's a question of logistics. (No dangling chads either.)

Sisterandcousinandaunt, how come Dick Cheney's address fraud isn't an issue? The Democrats should be all over that like butter on toast.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #109
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
Sisterandcousinandaunt, how come Dick Cheney's address fraud isn't an issue? The Democrats should be all over that like butter on toast.
I've wondered about that too. From what I've heard and read this guy has defrauded, lied and stolen on large scale. And nobody seems to bat an eyelid. How come?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #110
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I've wondered about that too. From what I've heard and read this guy has defrauded, lied and stolen on large scale. And nobody seems to bat an eyelid. How come?
Because there is not a single politician who has not. Politics, by it's very nature, is all about getting money from the general public and giving it to the people who directly support you.

You really have to judge politicians by the good things they do, because all of them lie and steal. There are no exceptions.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #111
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Not to mention people are afraid Dick Cheney will order knee cappings for anyone who complains... *snear*

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 01-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #112
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
Because there is not a single politician who has not. Politics, by it's very nature, is all about getting money from the general public and giving it to the people who directly support you.

You really have to judge politicians by the good things they do, because all of them lie and steal. There are no exceptions.
No, that's not true. I know, personally, several honest politicians. Both sides of the aisle.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 01-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #113
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Eh, you don't have to inform me of the nature of politicians. Especially not since ours couldn't even manage to form a government 6 bleedin' months after elections and had to settle for an interim government, which means that in April we're back to square one. Bunch of losers...

Anyway, I asked because they went after Clinton pretty bad for having an affair and having lied about it, which is pretty minor, if you ask me. And Cheney's track-record seemed a bit more heavy than the usual policitian's money-grabbing. If they made such a big thing out of Lewinsky, I figured anyone with such a bad track-record like Cheney would been taken care of sooner.

But since you mentioned good things, has Cheney actually done something good, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
Not to mention people are afraid Dick Cheney will order knee cappings for anyone who complains... *snear*
You will have to forgive this poor Belgian, but I haven't got a clue whether that is in jest or meant. Is Cheney as dangerous as that?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #114
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
You will have to forgive this poor Belgian, but I haven't got a clue whether that is in jest or meant. Is Cheney as dangerous as that?
Well I wouldnt go hunting with him!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #115
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Oh, you wouldn't even believe the "family values" track-record of the Republicans and Christian values set, It's astonishing that they can get up in public, but apparently they have no shame.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #116
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Or driving with Ted Kennedy. Not that that's a joke or anything...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #117
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
No, that's not true. I know, personally, several honest politicians. Both sides of the aisle.
I suppose that all depends on how you define "honest".
Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #118
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
I suppose that all depends on how you define "honest".
I know people who fight for what they believe is right, even when that crosses political boundaries.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #119
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
You beat me to it.

Earniel is spot on.

I wonder what treats they have in store for Obama?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #120
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Wait a second, Steve Bell already knows the answer to that:

Closed Thread