Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #101
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Okay, sure. I've edited it now. Is that ok Lotesse?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #102
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Yes, that's fine! Thank you, TD!

Earniel, love your story post! So, who gave Rian the horse and the love note? The plot thickeneth...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-06-2005, 03:38 PM   #103
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

The Nazgul Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
1. One states that Angmar is the most powerful, then Khamûl, then on down the line, with Number 9 being the least in power. So, Number 6, say, could command Numbers 7 to 9, but Number 6 would be lesser in power and under the command of Number 5.
2. The other theory is that Angmar and Khamûl have the two most powerful Rings, with Khamûl's being less than Angmar, of course. The other Seven Rings are equal in power.

Now to write a story or do an RPG, there must be an agreement. Which of the above two ideas will prevail? I am willing to accept either one for this RPG. I just want to know which we are using. I have not seen this anywhere in any of the threads or the info section. If I missed it, I am sorry.
Udu, you are quite right, it should be agreed upon.
To put it short, I vote for No.2, as TD did.

Now my take on the 9 Rings.

I believe the Nine Rings are of SLIGHTLY different power. I don’t think, that the Witch-King got the Master Ring of the 9. The Rings may even have been of equal power, for all we know. I believe, the key quote here are Galadriel’s words to Frodo (LOTR, end of Chapter 7):
Quote:
Did not Gandalf tell you that the rings give power according to the measure of each possessor? Before you could use that power you would need to become far stronger, and to train your will to the domination of others.
So, even the strongest ring given to a weak person will not help him much. The Morgul Lord, even without the ring, must have been much more powerful than the rest. An outstanding personality he must have been, for sure!

The rings surely give all the nazgul some advantages, like long life, good hearing, understanding of foreign languages, some mental powers, invisibility and so on.

But MOSTLY a ring multiplies the powers and skills that the person already possesses. A good swordsman, or a sorcerer will become an outstanding one, but if one is no sorcerer, no ring will help him. That is the case of our Lilly, by the way. Remember how in the "Fellowship" RPG she wanted to immobilise Haldir using a spell, but failed, instead, she immobilised him by hitting him on the head with a stone?

Of course, one can argue that Sauron had assessed the future Witch-king’s power and gave him the strongest ring. But, in this RPG, this surely doesn’t apply to the girls – they have the rings that were never meant for them. So, the Morgul Lord is the most powerful all by himself, next comes Khamul, then so on, and the last the girls. The numbers, probably, don’t reflect the pecking order, but just the order in which the rings were distributed. So, I believe, there are the Captain and his Second, while the rest are equal, like soldiers of the same unit.

Then different nazgul may just excel in different things. For instance no.7 may be a better swordsman than no. 3, or may have better skills in mind-reading than no.5. I believe it is the case with Udu and Penny, as a Numenorean with some royal elvish blood should be more apt in mind-reading than an Easterling. Someone may be the best healer, the other, the best artist or whatever.

Our Nazgul's special powers:

1. The Morgul Lord is the most powerful in all things, that is canon.
2. Khamul is good at mind-reading, I believe, even though he is an Easterling. His canon abilities to sense the presence of the One indicate that he is good at sorcery. Perhaps he is also a good fighter, but his lesser stature and slighter built are a disadvantage. And, I think, he has an extremely cunning and cruel mind (Eh, TD?).
3. Our Gothmog is unfortunately absent. A-UUU, LCOU-UUU??
4. Number four, formerly Mordacar, is absent
5. Buzukkumarz-Penny, is a nice and merry guy, given to silly pranks. But what is he good at, save making love to Lilly and drinking wine? Any ideas?
6. Lilaenwen-Lilly. No sorceress. A skilled swordsman. Great to command orcs. Swears artistically, loves to screech. Hot temper. And she seduces men without having to summon any supernatural powers. Badly educated. OK, CS?
7. Udukhaturz-Maethor is a fine swordsman and warrior, knows all about horses, has a lot of mind-reading powers. Well educated. Is that all, Udu?
8. Gordis-Aiwendis is a skilled witch. Good in mind-reading and mind-shielding. No good in fight, unless she uses sorcery. Well educated.
9. Viniglaen- Viv is a prime burglar. Not very good in mind reading. Hot temper. Not a skilled witch, but when angered, can use very powerful spells. Being so small, no good in swordfight. Loves art. Not very well educated, but tries to remedy that. Is that all, Lotesse?

You are free to invent your own strong points. And don’t forget poor, now public, Penny! Could he be a good Doctor?

Please, your comments. I believe, when it is edited and approved this part must go into the INFO thread.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-06-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #104
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

as if by magic! ... Butterbeer appeared.

wotcha all! well as very bad days go, it went quite well really ... only midly catastrophic ... getting up this morning was worse than going through the b-movie 'FOG' weighed down by treacle and surrounded by giant treacle tentacles... any old how, almost finished the commercial ... client decided to chicken out and go get some sleep just now ... ...HAH! so gonna take a break from it since i have tommorow morning to 'finish' .

so, think i have caught back up again ... though i have to be frank: not quite got the detailed grasp i would like .... but ever and anon needs must.

Gor, if memory serves you wanted something else putting in the street, yes?

btw Gor, did you know (or know of) Udu before he Mooted-up his armour and sword?

as regards discussion above:

would go with 3-9 approx equal but emphasis as gor states on the power and will and skill of ring-bearer in various fields ... i.e: Viv can blend into shadows and hide her very presence and move extremely quietly: her ring will sharpen and amplify these skills.

well, guess i'll try and wing a post plucked from the very night air! ....

edit: p.s. Udu you do know the quote button right? far right top above the reply box, under the drop down menu for (colour)

Quote:
well, guess i'll try and wing a post plucked from the very night air! ....

best all BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-06-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #105
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

TD and Gordis have voted on Option 2. For this RPG, my vote will be a third.

"The other theory is that Angmar and Khamûl have the two most powerful Rings, with Khamûl's being less than Angmar, of course. The other Seven Rings are equal in power."

I did forget, however, to list the third theory - that all Rings were equal in power. However, based on the innate abilities and skills of the wearer, those strengths such as sorcery, swordsmanship, etc. were greatly heightened. This theory goes along with Galadriel’s words to Frodo (LOTR, end of Chapter 7).

"Udukhaturz-Maethor is a fine swordsman and warrior, knows all about horses, has a lot of mind-reading powers. Well educated. Is that all, Udu?"

Gordis, that is basically it for Udu. His abilities are in warfare, fighting and horsemanship because he studied those subjects extensively. The Ring does heighten his knowledge to a good degree. He can do some sorcery but it is not his greatest ability. Really, he is not exceptional in anything except the fact that he is a Nazgûl.

Yes, it would be good if one of the Nine were a physician, but he would have to be, in addition to his knowledge of medicine, an adequate sorcerer and versed in roots and healing plants.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:48 PM   #106
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Personally, I think that the rest were equal...and that Khamul and #1 fought it out with eachother, the rest of the nazgul kinda milling around eachother, with obvious defference to the leader.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #107
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

NO, Gordis!! Viniglaen is VERY good at mind-reading, which is one of the reasons why she's impossible to deceive, and ALSO is an excellent fighter. She had to grow up fending for herself, because her parents both died when she was only eight years old, so she had to struggle and raise herself in a world of men. Plus, she's not just a prime burglar, she is THE BEST burglar in Middle earth, that ever has existed or now exists. A "living" legend, one could say. She can hold her own in a swordfight well, but prefers hand-to-hand combat at which she really excels, surprising her opponents since they tend to assume she's not capable, being such a small woman, but they would be fools to tangle with her. She is excellent at dagger-throwing, too, by the way. She's highly intelligent, yet is in the process of seeking out a formal education, which she lacks. Yes, her temper enables her to unleash powerful spells on a par with the Witch King himself, though few ever (thankfully) ever see this manifested, and if and when they did, it is always a sobering thing to witness/experience. The rest is O.K. - if you're gonna put all that in the formal info thread, can you please change these things 4 me? Thanx!

Butterbeer - nice 2 see you finally post! So THAT'S Lomi's history, very nice! Except she's not by nature mischievous, you may be confusing Lomi with Viv. Lomi the Large Eyes is a sort of Eeyore, a heavy thinker always morose and dramatically maudlin, but with a really sweet heart.

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-06-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #108
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ray had better watch his tongue then...I know she is excellent at mind reading, but I thought that she would give Ray his space in that particular time, and try to find out the old fashioned way: weasling it out of him in a conversation.

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-06-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:04 PM   #109
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
She is excellent at dagger-throwing, too, by the way.
well, that's nothing ... professor bumbledore (coming very soon!) is an expert at dagger-juggling .... course he has more scars on his hand than Ray ... but ....

Lotesse: really enjoy your lomi ... especially the slight eeey-ore twangs!

Mighty glad you are enjoying the rpg Shah, makes me pleased i suggested you to Lotesse! I also have enjoyed your posts with marty and ray... and the blossoming character development between ray and Viv ... feels like you guys have a good handle on the relationship and your characters.

will the guv ever join the watch for a tiring beer and pasty one day???

TD: khamul is much better for having both a steely side and a cunning duplicitous mind ... is he loyal to the cap'n or is he true to himself? It's nicely unclear ....

what will Rian's new direction be? who is this mysterious lover (of nookie, no doubt)? ...

Earniel: lovely descriptive feel to nin-in-eliph and it's ways...

EDIT:

Lotesse:

well she was a baby Owl then lotesse: all young-uns are curious and mischievous, at least in the eyes of their doting parents or various winged "uncles"!

...yeah not had hardly a minute for anything last few days .. not even much sleep.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-06-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #110
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Mighty glad you are enjoying the rpg Shah, makes me pleased i suggested you to Lotesse!
You just LOVE to pat yourself on the back, doncha Butterbeer! You're funny!! I really look forward to more story posts from you; I was keen on having Viv & Ray run into that cop of yours but that was like 3 days or 4 days ago, now. Are you still having that town-cop "on the beat" in the streets of Tharbad? I set it up for you in a couple posts, way back there, but you were too busy to write for so long that we just went on ahead w/out you.

Penny could DEFinitely be a good doctor! I'm thinking of taking on some Penny stuff here, since Grey Wof's had to bow out for a while, and Penny's easy enough to baby-sit.
Crazy Squirrel, where have YOU been lately? We miss you, I miss you!

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-06-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #111
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Lotesse, you have a follow up for that post? Or your could post in past tense the thoughts had during the wild ride in past tense. I'm off to nap, be back later!
Old 10-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #112
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

did ya see me edit?

btw shah: 25% in english slang! watch and learn GUV, me old cockle.

well me backs a tad tense...well in need of a slap or preferably a massage ... but i have a bottle of red, so it'll do!

he ain't a "COP", he's the watch ... entirely different kettle of fish, cor blimey!

yeah was a while back... but he's usually having a nap somewhere around town ... very good at giving helpful directions to rich houses etc
Old 10-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #113
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Hi, All!

I have been away for a day, having put my Lilly to bed and AWWw! Lots of excellent posts to read!

I can especially compliment TD. Khamul is shaping up a real clever nastie!

Loved the ring and nazgul discussion. I think the rings were all equal, while the nazgul were very different in skills. For example Lolly will beat Gordie in no time with a sword, while Gordie can poison her with a potion, or kick her on the head with a spell. And, I bet, Gordie will never approach an orc willingly, eh Gordie? You snobbish Numenoreans...

So when will Lilly arise? Next morning?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #114
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
I'm off to nap, be back later!

told ya' .... perfect watch material, the Guv, captain Shah of the watch!

.... now that's WHY he's the GUV!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-06-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #115
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySquirrel
Hi, All!

So when will Lilly arise? Next morning?

why not call for the lascivious Doc?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #116
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
did ya see me edit?

btw shah: 25% in english slang! watch and learn GUV, me old cockle.

Oh, I KNOW english slang, its just that they had only four examples, but some of them were also prison slang, so i chose that option. Dual meanings in different spheres....

And Cs, Yeah, morning would be fine, because i think marty would come and say hello. that and i think i want to form a friendship with....i think it was number 2 who greatly liked Rochdol...? was it?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #117
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Butterbeer, can you actually change that a little in the story, and instead of getting into mischief, have Lomi always reading books, or something? Always eith her beak in a book? Something like that. Lomi's not the mischievous type; not even as an owlet.

Old 10-06-2005, 06:26 PM   #118
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
And Cs, Yeah, morning would be fine, because i think marty would come and say hello. that and i think i want to form a friendship with....i think it was number 2 who greatly liked Rochdol...? was it?
Who liked Rochdol? Khamul? He is no 2.

Lilly liked it too much for her own good.

BB: Lascivous Doc? Who will play him? Then if Penny is a healer, then what need there is of a doc? (But somehow I don't think Penny is a healer.) Perhaps, if Lilly is in need of a doc she can call one...
Old 10-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #119
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

oh he's not really a main character in any way ... but am hoping if and when he ever heals (or not) the widow, that grewwolf might play him...

aye' lotesse ...well happy to, but it was just a chance memory of boomerang's remembering when lomi was a baby owl .... she has of course developed her own personality by now .... all babies are curious and mischievous .... in a nice accidental kinda way ... but i'll change it if you really think it important ... but a baby owl would not be reading books, till her beak was a little older, i would have thought....?

best BB

EDIT: ok done the editing ... hope you like it.

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-06-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #120
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Yes please change it, Butterbeer. Thanx.

Closed Thread