Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #101
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Just out of interest,
is there going to be a hobbit discussion project after
we have done the LOTR one?
as i would very much like to get in on that if there is
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:21 PM   #102
Maedhros
The Tall

azalea, I think that you might want to re assing my chapter to someone else. After the Sil Project discussion is finished, I will fade from Entmoot.
My job is finished, I wanted to create an exchange of ideas in the Tolkien books and it seems that I have done that. Unfortunately for me, I can't in good faith stand the current stand of the Silmarillion project. The apathy of the members is just killing me.

Hopefully after the LOTR project a Hobbit one could come next. Good luck and have a pleasant discussion.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:44 PM   #103
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Well I'd take it if you don't want it - but if you change your mind you can have it back.

Sorry to see you go, although I don't post much or have much contact with you.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:57 PM   #104
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
azalea, I think that you might want to re assing my chapter to someone else. After the Sil Project discussion is finished, I will fade from Entmoot.
My job is finished, I wanted to create an exchange of ideas in the Tolkien books and it seems that I have done that. Unfortunately for me, I can't in good faith stand the current stand of the Silmarillion project. The apathy of the members is just killing me.

Hopefully after the LOTR project a Hobbit one could come next. Good luck and have a pleasant discussion.
I am so sorry to hear this. You are such a great member who adds so much to the discussions. Please don't think that because people don't post they aren't reading what is posted by others and learning that way. I do plan to go and post in the new chapter that is up for the Silm project, but with all the Easter events I've been doing this week, I haven't had time to look at any forums but the two I moderate, and not even at all the threads there .
I will take your name off the list if you wish, but I hope by the time it is up for discussion, you'll have changed your mind and come back.
JD, I'm going to stick with the "two per person" guideline still, in case more members come and want to do one (like LCU just did). The section he signed up for is still far off in time, so we'll certainly have more by then.
LCU, a Hobbit discussion would be fun, but right now we have just started this one, and the Silmarillion project in that forum is still going on, so if it were to happen, it would probably be many months from now. In the meantime, go look at the new chapter posted in that discussion, and add your thoughts. Don't worry, they won't bite!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #105
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros

i for one read the sil posts frequently... i even have delved into the old ones... yeah, i have too much free time at work

i haven't jumped in because i was a bit late in the game and was also afraid i'd get too involved... i don't have that much free time at work

i hope you continue to contribute as you can... your comments are appreciated, though it may not always be apparent
Old 04-09-2004, 08:22 PM   #106
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

as my only chapter isnt till right at the end,
would it be permissible that i take a second one?
i will drop appendices if i have to...

if permissible, can i take the uruk-hai aswell, please?

17. Book III, ch. 3: The Uruk-hai
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #107
jerseydevil

Azalea. I've gotten tied up working on my website. I'm going to have to get the chapter in on Sunday. It might be done tomorrow - but I just can't finish it tonight. Just to let everyone know.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #108
azalea
Long lost mooter

No problem, JD. Just PM me when you get it posted so I can "stick it." (Confession -- I still have ten pages to read anyway! )

LCU: yes, that would be fine. We had said two sections per person at this point, so you can have that one, too. It happens to be one of my favorites.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #109
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Azalea. I've gotten tied up working on my website. I'm going to have to get the chapter in on Sunday. It might be done tomorrow - but I just can't finish it tonight. Just to let everyone know.
I'm sure we can give you an extension on that.
*looks at the 4 assignments for which she has gotten an extension*
Eep!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #110
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
mark him down one letter-grade azalea
Old 04-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #111
azalea
Long lost mooter

Stay on your toes, everyone -- don't leave! JD has informed me that part of the intro is done, and that he'll be posting it very soon.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:45 AM   #112
jerseydevil

Okay - sorry for the delay, but anyway "The Shadow of the Past" is finally out there. Thanks for people's patience, even though I saw people giving me a hard time in General Mesages.

I suppose I better start on the other two chapters now. I don't think they will be as long because they're not as controversial as Chapter 2 is.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-17-2004, 08:00 PM   #113
azalea
Long lost mooter

Great! It's now stuck at the top, and I'll be posting there soon. (I can't post too much right now, because I twisted my wrist, and it's difficult to type). I'll post the due date for the next section, and remind everyone of when they need to have it read in the "reading along" thread.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:44 AM   #114
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
1. Foreword and Prologue – due March 12th (at the latest) -- assigned to Azalea
2. Book I, ch. 1: A Long Expected Party -- assigned to Cassiopeia DUE MARCH 26
3. Book I, ch. 2: The Shadow of the Past – assigned to Jerseydevil DUE APRIL 9(posted on April 17)
4. Book I, ch. 3&4: Three is Company and A Shortcut to Mushrooms -- assigned to Tuor of Gondolin DUE APRIL 30
5. Book I, ch. 5&6: A Conspiracy Unmasked and The Old Forest – assigned to Jerseydevil
6. Book I, ch. 7&8: In the House of Tom Bombadil and Fog on the Barrow Downs -- assigned to Rian
7. Book I, ch. 9&10: At the Sign of the Prancing Pony and Strider -- assigned to Fat Middle
8. Book I, ch. 11&12: A Knife in the Dark and Flight to the Ford -- assigned to Linaewen
9. Book II, ch. 1: Many Meetings -- assigned to Nurvingiel
10. Book II, ch. 2: The Council of Elrond -- assigned to Finrod Felagund
11. Book II, ch. 3: The Ring Goes South -- assigned to Maegondowen
12. Book II, ch. 4: A Journey in the Dark -- assigned to Earniel
13. Book II, ch. 5&6: The Bridge of Khazad-dum and Lothlorien -- assigned to Brownjenkins
14. Book II ch. 7&8: The Mirror of Galadriel and Farewell to Lorien -- assigned to Artanis
15. Book II, ch. 9&10: The Great River and The Breaking of the Fellowship -- assigned to Luinilwen
16. Book III, ch. 1&2: The Departure of Boromir and The Riders of Rohan -- assigned to Forkbeard
17. Book III, ch. 3: The Uruk-hai -- assigned to Last Child of Ungoliant
18. Book III, ch. 4: Treebeard -- assigned to Bombadillo
19. Book III, ch. 5: The White Rider -- assigned to Tuor of Gondolin
20. Book III, ch. 6&7: The King of the Golden Hall and Helm’s Deep -- assigned to Earniel
21. Book III, ch. 8&9: The Road to Isengard and Flotsam and Jetsam -- assigned to Bombadillo
22. Book III, ch. 10&11: The Voice of Saruman and The Palantir -- assigned to Linaewen and Radagast the Brown
23. Book IV, ch. 1&2: The Taming of Smeagol and The Passage of the Marshes
24. Book IV, ch. 3&4: The Black Gate is Closed and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit -- assigned to BeardofPants
25. Book IV, ch. 5&6: The Window on the West and The Forbidden Pool -- assigned to Artanis
26. Book IV, ch. 7&8: The Journey to the Crossroads and The Stairs of Cirith Ungol
27. Book IV, ch. 9&10: Shelob’s Lair and The Choices of Master Samwise – assigned to Azalea
28. Book V, ch. 1: Minas Tirith
29. Book V, ch. 2&3: The Passing of the Grey Company and The Muster of Rohan -- assigned to Dunedain
30. Book V, ch. 4: The Siege of Gondor
31. Book V, ch. 5&6: The Ride of the Rohirrim and The Battle of Pelennor Fields -- assigned to Falagar
32. Book V, ch. 7&8: The Pyre of Denethor and The Houses of Healing -- assigned to Brownjenkins
33. Book V, ch. 9&10: The Last Debate and The Black Gate Opens -- assigned to Crickhollow
34. Book VI, ch. 1: The Tower of Cirith Ungol -- assigned to Cassiopeia
35. Book VI, ch 2&3: The Land of Shadow and Mount Doom -- assigned to Maedhros
36. Book VI, ch. 4&5: The Field of Cormallen and The Steward and the King -- assigned to Dunedain
37. Book VI, ch. 6&7: Many Partings and Homeward Bound -- assigned to Finrod Felagund
38. Book VI, ch. 8&9: The Scouring of the Shire and The Grey Havens -- assigned to Nurvingiel
39. Appendix A.1: The Numenorian Kings -- assigned to Valandil
40. Appendix A2&3: The House of Eorl and Durin’s Folk -- assigned to Last Child of Ungoliant
41. Appendices B&D: The Tale of Years and Calendars -- assigned to Valandil
42. Appendices E&F: Writing and Spelling and The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age/ On Translation (slated to be posted about 84 weeks after the first section) -- assigned to Forkbeard
Just a thought (I am not sure if it was mentioned anywhere in the thread)

I think it would be a good idea if you made the chapters Linked to the chapter reviews. (ie 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.)

This way people can click the appropriate chapter to read the review and/or comment on the review.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #115
azalea
Long lost mooter

That's a good idea. I'll start doing it, but I don't have time right this minute to do it for the previous chapters. I'll get to it soon, though.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:04 PM   #116
azalea
Long lost mooter

Tuor of Gondolin:
Just a reminder that your intro for section 4 of the LotR project is due this Friday (the 30th). That is for Book 1, chapters 3&4. Please review the suggested format in the first post in the project discussion thread. If you are unable to post the intro, or cannot get it done by Friday, please let me know. Also, when you do post it, PM me so I can stick it at the top of the forum. Thanks for volunteering!

[To everyone -- I'm sorry I haven't been active much here this week. Everyone in my family has been going through a stomach flu but me (EDIT: correction -- I got it, too! ), so I've been taking care of them. Also I've had some other important real life stuff going on (major car stuff, neighborhood stuff), so that has limited my moot time.]
Old 05-11-2004, 05:28 PM   #117
jerseydevil

Azalea - can you move my due date to April 20th. My father is coming out unexpectedly and in addition I have a ton of events this week I have to go to. May 17th is when my schedule finally opens up.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-11-2004, 05:37 PM   #118
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Quote:
Azalea - can you move my due date to April 20th. My father is coming out unexpectedly and in addition I have a ton of events this week I have to go to. May 17th is when my schedule finally opens up.
I think he means May 20th ... but I'll second that! Then maybe I can catch up on the reading for it (either that or just procrastinate for a bit longer! ).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:46 PM   #119
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I think he means May 20th ... but I'll second that! Then maybe I can catch up on the reading for it (either that or just procrastinate for a bit longer! ).
Yeah - I mean MAY 20th. I'm not asking for a YEAR extenstion on it. It's been a little busy here. My father is coming out - I have a press event on Friday for the grand opening of Cape Liberty Cruise Port and the sailing of Royal Carribean's Voyager of the Seas and Empress of the Seas from Bayonne NJ and then Saturday a press conference with Congressman Rush Holt at Princeton Battlefield and then on Monday I have a meeting with someone who is going to help me with trying make some money off of my website. My father doesn't even go back until Sunday and I have to see if I can get him into the Royal Carribean event and luncheon for Friday. This doesn't even include all the stuff I have been doing for the past week.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-11-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:49 PM   #120
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, that's fine. And it will work out well for me, too -- Like Valandil, I am still behind. I'm finishing ch. 4, so the extra week will give me time to get 5&6 read as well. Thanks for letting me know, and good luck with all your stuff this week!

(Incidentally, I've found 3&4 to be much quicker in terms of notetaking, I guess because of the action vs. exposition, so I should be caught up soon! )