Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:33 PM   #101
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
I don't believe I think "about" things as much as you do!
We're all different - and I'm glad!

I think because of that, I'm done asking you questions, and I won't address the rest of your post unless you specifically ask me to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
I take it that you think it is mentally objectively existent as the data from your sensory input reveals objectively existent reality outside yourself.
*psst, Lizra - I think I just found someone that likes to think even more than I do! *

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
If you are interested and read the SURPRISED BY JOY referred to earlier, you could compare experiences of desire with those he calls joy. I hasten to add that he had those experiences for years before he became a Deist much less a Christian. So this is not a sneak attack to convert you.
I found his account of how joy "haunted" him, in a sense, really fascinating. That's one reason why I was asking Lizra about what touched her heart - I wanted to see what moved her heart deeply, and if anyone here was the same way. I know I certainly am - a scent, a piece of music, a certain smile ... a horse running always brings tears to my eyes ... certain parts in LOTR ...

I'm done, and I think the general feeling (held by Lizra, too!) is that Lizra is done. Is that OK, Lizra, or is there anything else you want to say? If not, then who would like to be next?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-11-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:39 PM   #102
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm done. Thanks guys.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:47 PM   #103
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*round of applause for Lizra*

And for your parting prizes, you'll recieve a free vowel on the "Wheel of Fortune" game, and an honorary "Hot Seat" fluffy seat cushion!

thanks

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-11-2004, 04:02 PM   #104
inked
Elf Lord

Nuvingiel wanted to be next as I recall!

Thanks, Lizzra! Poise, grace, ... definitely a swing babe (as advertised)!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #105
Rían

That's fine with me!

Go ahead, Nurv - why don't you start with some type of opening statement on "why you believe what you believe"

(ps - did you see my request that your Teacup Cafe cater this little shindig? I have a craving for a scone right now!)

Old 10-13-2004, 12:42 AM   #106
Rían

Nurvi - post quick! I'm gonna be out of town this weekend, and I'd like to be able to get in a few questions

PS - I"ll just note here that I'm having computer trouble again, so if I mysteriously disappear for a bit, it's probably due to the computer

Old 10-13-2004, 06:46 AM   #107
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Thanks Lizra for your stint in the "hot seat". I didn't have time to post any questions but I read your responses with much interest. (They're very similar to my own). Your answers were great!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:47 AM   #108
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Thanks folks. I tryed. As long as I didn't feel I was under "attack"...no problem.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #109
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
Thanks folks. I tryed. As long as I didn't feel I was under "attack"...no problem.
I hope you never felt under attack! That was certainly no one's intent.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 10-14-2004, 05:03 AM   #110
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I would have volunteered, had this thread been posted last year or so...
Old 10-14-2004, 07:45 AM   #111
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Anduril.....I know you have lost interest in the god/no god debate....do your veiws differ from mine very much?
Old 10-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #112
Rían

Nurvi- did you see that it's your turn? Please post, or let us know if you want to let someone else go

Anduril - you're welcome to take a turn Let's see if Nurvi wants to go first, tho.

People - whoever goes next, please carry on without me - I'm going on our annual beach camping trip tomorrow with 80 fun-lovin' friends I'll be back Monday - have fun, and ask some good questions!

(Lizra - if Nurvi doesn't show up by tomorrow, could you please arrange for someone else to go next, if you're not too busy? Or I"ll go on Monday if no one else wants to.)

Old 10-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #113
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Meep! I didn't see it was my turn, sorry guys. (I was sure there was someone ahead of me or something.)

So now I outline what I believe... well I believe many things.

I believe sustainable forestry exists, and not just in theory. This is something we should strive to practice.

Thus far this has been a spiritual discussion, but I had to mention the trees.

I'm Anglican (Christian), and have quite a liberal approach. I am quite socially liberal. In Canada, there are many Anglicans who are also liberal this way. The recent gay marriage debate comes to mind, I am definitely for loving, commited couples being allowed to marry.

Why I believe this is largely because I was raised that way. My father was raised as an Anglican, and my mom was raised Catholic, but later became Anglican. Our church is really liberal, and nothing I've seen in my (short) life has caused me to want to think otherwise.

It feels right in my heart to try to accept everyone for who they are. I say try because human beings will always run into trouble in this area, but trying is the most important. Who are we to arbitrarily decide that one person's way of life is wrong and ours is right?

I believe in God because I think that God is the force that created the Universe, and quietly influenced and observed its development. Why I believe this is ultimately because this idea was introduced to me when I was a child, and it feels right in my heart. I know this is a simplistic answer, but that's what I can discern about my beliefs so far. Maybe with your questions I will gain a deeper understanding about my own beliefs. One thing about God, is it seems almost like we have tunnel vision if we don't say that there is something else out there. It's such a vast Universe, so vast that anything could exist in it. That doesn't prove there is a God, but it leaves more than enough room for God.

I'm actually not quite sure what to post, so ask me questions on this or anything. Feel free to ask me what I believe about any subject that comes to mind, or about what I just wrote etc. I hope I did the right thing. You're a hard act to follow Lizra.

*brings in a huge plate of fresh, hot raisin scones*
*the plate refills itself magically so everyone can help themselves*
*as the Teacup Cafe is catering this event, there is naturally a huge urn of tea*
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 10-14-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:02 PM   #114
Janny
The Blobbit

Okay, Nurvy.

What are you feelings towards Levitius? Pardon me if this a really stupid question... I'm not quite sure what Anglicans accept and reject

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:02 PM   #115
Rían

Nurvi - Thanks so much for the tea, the scones, and sharing your thoughts!

I have to go pack, so I'll think about some questions and ask them Monday or Tuesday, and look forward to seeing where the thread has gone while I've been gone

Old 10-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #116
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Okay, Nurvy.

What are you feelings towards Levitius? Pardon me if this a really stupid question... I'm not quite sure what Anglicans accept and reject
All I know that this is a section of the Bible. I believe this is where some anti-gay quotes originate. This is in no way a stupid question - Anglicans can't even agree amongst themselves what they accept and reject. (Though I wouldn't say we reject parts of the Bible. It's all different interpretations.)

However, I haven't actually read the Bible (though I certainly want to).

Quote away, and I will comment.

About the Bible in general, I feel that its not only a holy symbol for all Christians, but also a social commentary on the times in which it was written. This provides context for the religious teachings. I think it's important to understand a bit about the lives and living conditions of the people who wrote the Bible - for example, I believe this is the significance of Numbers.

(I have read parts of the Bible, but I am definitely not a scholar.)

Rian, I look forward to your comments, have a great trip! (I bagged these scones for you to have on your journey. )
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 10-14-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:21 PM   #117
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Question: What do you believe will happen at the end of the world?

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Old 10-16-2004, 09:59 PM   #118
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You mean how will the world end? I think it will be engulfed by the Sun when it turns into a red giant in many millions of years.

Whether or not there will be life on Planet Earth at that point remains to be seen.

It's really really late (or early, depending on how you look at it) so I'll go into that more later. Good night!

EDIT: I only just realized you meant phisolophically. Clearly I can't hand that question right now! I'll come back to it.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 10-16-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:33 PM   #119
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I believe that the surface of the world will be consumed in a nuclear holocaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
It feels right in my heart to try to accept everyone for who they are. I say try because human beings will always run into trouble in this area, but trying is the most important. Who are we to arbitrarily decide that one person's way of life is wrong and ours is right?
Who are you to arbitrarily decide I am wrong about homosexuality being a sin and you are right about its being fine?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Old 10-17-2004, 02:42 PM   #120
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Okay, Nurvy.

I know one Anglican pastor that openly mocked literal interpretation of various passages in Leviticus. However, I know another Anglican pastor that is a conservative Christian and believes essentially the same thing about the Leviticus passages as mainstream Protestants do. So as Nurvingiel says, it's very difficult to generalize to all Anglicans.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Closed Thread