Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #101
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I thought the thread was good, it would have given people the chance to discuss the scientific evidence for evolution and how it didn't support creationism - but then people started to question what the purpose was I suppose.
I think the mods are considering re-opening the threads. I hope both can be re-opened, because I think they are interesting subjects

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #102
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
I love my moot, but it sucks when you take the time to carefully write out a post that is ON TOPIC only to be ignored for off-topic chatter. It sucks no matter how interesting the off-topic banter is. *gets a little mad, slaps monitor, feels better*
yeah, I know - just try realizing that people DO miss posts sometimes for various reasons, and post it again I know I would appreciate being reminded of a post by someone that they've put a lot of time into!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #103
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I think the mods are considering re-opening the threads. I hope both can be re-opened, because I think they are interesting subjects
They are considering re-opening the thread, not sure about the evolution one though. I htink they should reopen BOTH though - because they are on two different subjects. We've had seperate threads that were on two opposing viewpoints before - and they didn't get closed. I see no reason why the evolution thread shouldn't get reopened.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #104
Rûdhaglarien
Elven Warrior

A guy who graduated from my HS last year was shot and killed last night.
It's strange because my small, sleepy, safe hometown has turned, within the past two weeks, into someplace that I don't recognize. It's unnerving because, there's all of this stuff going on around me that I can't even relate to. I didn't know the guy very well, just knew that he was incredibly nice and quite athletic. So, I feel out of place amongst the mourners.
He was trying to break up a fight between his best friends and his best friend's dad. His sister is in my year. Why is it always the nice ones who end up getting hurt?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #105
Rían

I'm so sorry to hear that, Rudh It's sad that the brave, compassionate ones, who would even consider trying to break up a fight, get killed.

Old 03-14-2005, 06:06 PM   #106
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanza
couple of vents. my grandad died on thursday whichs sucked and now homelife isnt very nice. and im just a bit fed upw ith life atma nd can see myself atm rapidly slipping back into my old routine of being low and depressed and detached. its just easier.
Im sorry buddy, i know you've been through alot last few months. And that really cant help.

We'll have a chat about it soon..

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #107
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I've been studying Swedish for over 7 hours, and I'm actually sore! My shoulders and my back are tired from sitting in a slightly crabbed position, typing words into my swedish masterlist, and making flash cards (which you can't seem to buy, so I had to make all mine.)

On a positive note, I know about 90% of the words.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #108
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

7 hours! That must be exhausting.. Wait 'til I make you speak t me in Swedish!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 03-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #109
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I've been studying Swedish for over 7 hours, and I'm actually sore! My shoulders and my back are tired from sitting in a slightly crabbed position, typing words into my swedish masterlist, and making flash cards (which you can't seem to buy, so I had to make all mine.)

On a positive note, I know about 90% of the words.
Too bad you couldn't find any flash cards. They have them at my university but they're dealing with medicine, not anything near foresting or what you're studying.

What kind of words do you have to learn?

My vent: I should have studied for 7 hours today but I didn't really have time. My exam tomorrow is going to be a real nail-biter
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #110
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

This makes me sad and angry..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4355871.stm

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 03-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #111
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
i cant concentrate at all in my lessons with everything thats going on. and until this all gets sorted i fear im just gonna be a useless, music-dependent wreck. lolbut heyw at can u do right?

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Old 03-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #112
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
Yeah, so much for trying the world to stop being dependant on fossil fuels... I've been dreading this move for 4 years, though. Our luck was going to run out one day or another.

Bye bye, karibous, they're going to drill right where you have your calves. Ain't it neat, we've got a highway to extinction for you and it's paved with oil.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:31 AM   #113
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Yeah talk about short sighted and stupid. Lets dig up irreplacable wildlife refuges so that we can get 9 months worth of oil in like 2012. Thatll help lower the cost of gas... real smart... Oh but this is the MORAL thing to do remember. Even the big oil companies stopped lobbying for this a while ago because they know the resource is limited and cost prohibitive. But once Bush gets focused on something he refuses to let it go no matter how stupid it is. Social Security anyone?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 03-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #114
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

It's caribou. And that does suck. I don't know what on Earth anyone in North America is complaining about gas prices though. The cost is heavily subsidised in various ways, resulting in a price far, far lower than the real cost of the gas.
We import too much oil, so let's get some of our own, instead of, say sensible city planning and improvements to public transit systems. That would make too much sense. I know people love driving, and it is the most convenient form of travel, and hey, I like driving a lot too, but we seriously need to take a more long-term approach to this. We're basically saying to all future generations, "Heh, we've got the resources we need. Screw you guys." Nice message to send the children.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #115
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

fossil fuel usage must be phased out
public transportation in all cities worldwide
renewable energy worldwide

oh wait, it'll hit america's wallet, of course we can't
Old 03-19-2005, 12:08 PM   #116
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Yeah talk about short sighted and stupid. Lets dig up irreplacable wildlife refuges so that we can get 9 months worth of oil in like 2012. Thatll help lower the cost of gas... real smart... Oh but this is the MORAL thing to do remember. Even the big oil companies stopped lobbying for this a while ago because they know the resource is limited and cost prohibitive. But once Bush gets focused on something he refuses to let it go no matter how stupid it is. Social Security anyone?
How are they diging up irreplaceable wildlife refuge? You are misrepresenting the facts here. It's not like they are digging up the WIOLE hting - it's not even 1% of the area that the oil field will be. I see nothing wrong with the wildlife refuge being used. From what world news tonight said concerning it - it isn't a small amount of oil - but will produce more oil per a day than saudi arabia and venezuela.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #117
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Also - opponents like to show all this film footage of pristine forests in Alaska. But that's south of the North Slope. The Arctic Wildlife Refuge is snow and ice over tundra. Pretty much a wasteland. Yes - there are caribou, and other creatures, but as JD points out, only a small percentage of the land would need to be drilled for us to reach the oil reserves. (EDIT: and the wildlife that is there is pretty sparse - the ecosystem there can't support a lot of life, what with the cold, the hard ground, how the sun is out of view for half the year and just circles the horizon for the other half )

This has always seemed odd to me. It seems like drilling for oil in our own country should be viewed more favorably than drilling in other countries. It seems hypocritical to say, "Well - we shouldn't mess up this part of Alaska - but hey, the Middle East, the ocean floor... no problem!"

(Second EDIT: Oh dang! I read this thread and the environment thread at about the same time, then responded here... wish I'd put it in the other thread, even though we're talking about this in both )

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 03-19-2005 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #118
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
We import too much oil, so let's get some of our own, instead of, say sensible city planning and improvements to public transit systems. That would make too much sense. I know people love driving, and it is the most convenient form of travel, and hey, I like driving a lot too, but we seriously need to take a more long-term approach to this. We're basically saying to all future generations, "Heh, we've got the resources we need. Screw you guys." Nice message to send the children.
Public transportation does NOT make sense in all areas. Not everyone lives in a city. I took piublic transportation in Chicago and I take it in NY - in Portalnd public transportation sucked from where I lived. I was not going to waste an hour and a half on bus when it only would take me 20 minutes to drive to the dowtown area. Right now here in Plainsboro - they are working on BRT system - but it depends on whether I will take it though - it's more geared to commuters. I have taken the Riverline to Camden and stuff also. Not to mention taking the train with NJ Transit.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #119
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Are we off topic, or are these vents?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #120
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Are we off topic, or are these vents?
Well off topic - which started out as vents. Can I vent about people's ignorance though?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread