Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2002, 08:31 PM   #101
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that she's made her pile of dough now, and therefore her incentive for writing has gone. I mean, if you were rich, and in love, would you really want to write books?
Old 06-07-2002, 06:46 AM   #102
Sicirus
Elf Lord

well we do not know exectly if she is realy in love. But if I wrote a series book I would continue to write it nomatter what unless a tragity happend. Plus people may lose interest which would mean less richess for her.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:12 PM   #103
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that she's made her pile of dough now, and therefore her incentive for writing has gone. I mean, if you were rich, and in love, would you really want to write books?
I don't think so. I mean, I think she would keep writing either way. While a reader always wants to know what happens next, so would the author. She'd have to at least figure out what she meant by those cryptic remarks. I don't think even SHE knows.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 10:47 AM   #104
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Well, I think she has the whole series planned out, and millions of fans waiting, so she couldn't exactly stop now. It just takes time to write books, especially when there's so much expectation for them.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:17 PM   #105
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Even so, she'd no the pertiant details, but she wouldn't know exactly how it would go.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 05:27 PM   #106
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Yeh. She has all the outlines planned;
she just needs the details.
Writing a book can be difficult
Old 06-10-2002, 08:40 PM   #107
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Phew. Daddy almost kept me from coming on Entmoot forevery. Meany. Anyway. One of my friends was at a book signing with JK Rowling and she picked him out of the line to be her perfect Harry Potter but wouldn't take him because he wasn't English. How stupid is that??!! Honestly!! Dude, where's her common sense. And as ShireChild says" Dude, why couldn't you fake an English Accent??!!"
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

LOD
I am Morwen, Lady of Darkness.

Her head was bowed,
from all the tears and pain,
but she would rise again
Lady of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 11:57 PM   #108
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Got the first 4 books tonight.............these are great (read the first one, half-way through no.2).

I had read a bit of philosophers stone to my friends kids a while ago (random bits they wanted me to read) but since then I'd always fobbed the books off as "kids stuff", how wrong I was - these are a right laugh, and have some cracking plot twists as well

Still 2 and a half books to go!!

Ah to be a kid again

Edit: The Gilderoy Lockhart character is just sooo funny, more cheese than a quardruple cheese pizza made by hungry mice - brilliant characters

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 11-24-2002 at 12:02 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 07:28 AM   #109
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Got the first 4 books tonight.............these are great (read the first one, half-way through no.2).

I had read a bit of philosophers stone to my friends kids a while ago (random bits they wanted me to read) but since then I'd always fobbed the books off as "kids stuff", how wrong I was - these are a right laugh, and have some cracking plot twists as well

Still 2 and a half books to go!!

Ah to be a kid again

Edit: The Gilderoy Lockhart character is just sooo funny, more cheese than a quardruple cheese pizza made by hungry mice - brilliant characters
i too used to think harry potter what a load of rubbish then i read the books and they are ace. The best is yet to come the forth book is excelent
Old 11-24-2002, 09:55 AM   #110
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
The best is yet to come the forth book is excelent
Sounds good to me! How many will there be in the entire series then?

Beatallica
Old 11-24-2002, 10:33 AM   #111
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Sounds good to me! How many will there be in the entire series then?
should be 7 but she needs to get her ass into gear
Old 11-24-2002, 10:50 AM   #112
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
should be 7 but she needs to get her ass into gear
Yeah but she'll be waiting for the films to catch up so the book sells millions more as kids who only watch the movies get frustrated for more HP

Beatallica
Old 11-24-2002, 10:59 AM   #113
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Yeah but she'll be waiting for the films to catch up so the book sells millions more as kids who only watch the movies get frustrated for more HP

she better not or ill slap her silly
Old 11-24-2002, 02:45 PM   #114
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
she better not or ill slap her silly
It's probably more the publishers who are holding it back...........JK seems to have a love of writing (apparently she wrote the first book(s) under not-ideal conditions) I can't see her giving up the writing, or putting it on too much hold, for getting married, spending her millions, etc.

Beatallica
Old 11-24-2002, 06:02 PM   #115
Sicirus
Elf Lord

She says she is taking so long because not only is she dealing with the movies, she also has a bay coming, and she is perfecting the book. I hope Lupin will come back. I read that the next DADA teacher is going to be a female.

My favorit book so far is the third one. I am a big Lupin fancier.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:57 PM   #116
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

OK book 2: The plot was crap (gods I haven't used crap for years but this BB has a language filter)..........but the characters are still cool

Anyone who has even a cursory knowledge of fantasy would have guessed that is was a Basalisk (even though the author changed its physical desciption). The "bad guy was pretty transparent as well

Hey Ho...........guess they were written with kids in mind

Beatallica
Old 11-25-2002, 12:45 AM   #117
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Even as a huge Potter fan, I do agree that the second book is the weakest of the lot. Not for the reasons you pointed out, though - my gripes with it have to do with the fact that unlike #3 and #4, it's rather episodic, still expository, and doesn't really expand upon the material to develop the saga as a continuous epic.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:52 AM   #118
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Even as a huge Potter fan, I do agree that the second book is the weakest of the lot. Not for the reasons you pointed out, though - my gripes with it have to do with the fact that unlike #3 and #4, it's rather episodic, still expository, and doesn't really expand upon the material to develop the saga as a continuous epic.
Ah now that fulfills a bit of faith (the 3rd and 4th being better), I cracked about 70 pages out of the 3rd book tonight.........and it seems to be telling a much larger tale ........maybe I should have replaced the word crap with linear.......cos that is all the second book was to me ..........still fun tho'

Beatallica
Old 11-26-2002, 12:01 AM   #119
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

About Gilderoy, He makes me ill! What an imbecile! I hate those kind of people! When I reread the much worn copies, I want to rip out every page that Lockharts in except of course, when he gets his just desserts

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:23 AM   #120
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I'm very sorry that your sense of humor can't appreciate him- he gets me in stitches whenever I run into a scene with him in it!
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote