FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-25-2002, 03:04 AM   #101
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Indeed! All hail Terry!!
Old 05-26-2002, 09:39 AM   #102
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
So it's like a creation myth with science...Mmmm sounds interesting. I know black holes, quasars and quarks but I haven't heard of space elevators. Gotta try that sometime then.
Didn't Willy Wonka have one?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 07:25 PM   #103
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY COLLECTION IS FINALLY COMPLETE!! I've been collecting books by Terry Pratchett and I finally got a copy of Reaper Man which means I now own every Discworld novel published so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait till Night Watch comes out.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 08:33 PM   #104
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I am so jealous.
I'm missing a few of the ones in the middle of the series.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 07:35 AM   #105
Earniel

I still need the two last ones. I'm collecting them in paperback so I always have to wait longer. Even now my book shelf is already squeaking under the weight. I have to really stack them so they'll all fit in. 'The thruth' was the last one. I'm going to have to find new ways to store them when I buy the next one.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:24 PM   #106
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Yeah, all my copies are in paperback. It took me ages to get ahold of Guards Guards the new edition wasn't out yet so I was looking for the out of print edition. I got it in the end though. I have Good Omens and the Unadulterated Cat as well. My friends are starting to refer to my room as the library.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 08-06-2002, 08:21 AM   #107
Earniel

The unadulterated cat! *sigh* Never could get my hands on that one. Sold out and out of print. *deep sigh* I beter check the real librairy on that one.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:23 PM   #108
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I got it used off amazon.com. I think it was the only copy they had at the time. I think the publishing people are republishing all the discworld books maybe they'll do The Unaldurated Cat too. It's sad you can't get a copy of it. It's a really good book.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 08-06-2002, 03:36 PM   #109
Earniel

Hopefully they reprint it. I really hope so. I've heard from others too that it's a good book. Which makes it on the whole more frustrating not being able to find it. My own private little quest.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:43 AM   #110
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY COLLECTION IS FINALLY COMPLETE!! I've been collecting books by Terry Pratchett and I finally got a copy of Reaper Man which means I now own every Discworld novel published so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait till Night Watch comes out.
Do you have the amazing maurice and his educated rodents? It takes place in Discworld but has nothing to do with the rest of the series.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 08-12-2002, 04:33 AM   #111
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Plus its a kiddies book.

I reeallllly cant wait for Night Watch! weve got.....3 months to go

argh! Its like waiting for TT!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:01 PM   #112
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

well, yeah, but still!

Old 08-13-2002, 11:16 PM   #113
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I just have the main series. That's what I was trying to collect.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 12-17-2003, 06:07 AM   #114
Bilbo
Enting

Since this thread is a bit out of date, let me fill in some details:

Night Watch has come out and was the highest-ranking Terry Pratchett book in the Big Read (I may be wrong)
Another book, Monsterous Regiment, has been released.

I myself have read all of the Discworld series, save for Monsterous Regiment.

Terry Pratchett Rules!!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:31 AM   #115
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Night Watch has come out and was the highest-ranking Terry Pratchett book in the Big Read (I may be wrong)
Another book, Monsterous Regiment, has been released
Indeed, Night Watch is very good
(though the idea of Vimes becoming his own tutor doesn't feel good)
Old 02-23-2004, 05:10 PM   #116
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

To begin with, I concur with everyone I've seen here in that Pratchett is genius. I have copies of all the books, but regrettably they are American: which means absolutely awful cover art. The Brit ones are faaaar better.
Personally, I prefer the Vimes series, Color of Magic, and the Science of Discworld.
Oh, and the Amazing Maurice & his Educated Rodents is actually as good as many of the "adult" Discworld books... as is Wee Free Men... so even if they are "kids" books, they are well worth the read.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:06 AM   #117
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I've read just about 30 pages of Guards! Guards! and I think it is quite amusing. I like the LotR mocking; 'They [kings] go lurking around in the distant wildernesses for ages, handing down the secret sword...then just when their old kingdom needs them, they turn up and turn out any usurpers that happen to be around. And then there's general rejoicing.'

Good stuff. My favourite line so far: "They [dragons] were myths and they were real," he said loudly. "Both a wave and a particle." Never thought it'd take a knowledge of physics to get a joke in a fantasy novel.

Last edited by Linaewen : 03-04-2004 at 04:07 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #118
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

We should make a separate quote-thread for Pratchett!
Old 03-04-2004, 05:40 PM   #119
Earniel

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
I've read just about 30 pages of Guards! Guards! and I think it is quite amusing. I like the LotR mocking; 'They [kings] go lurking around in the distant wildernesses for ages, handing down the secret sword...then just when their old kingdom needs them, they turn up and turn out any usurpers that happen to be around. And then there's general rejoicing.'
Hey, I just reread that book! It left me with the wonderfully strange mental sound and image of a kitten meowing in a empty bath in a huge cavern underground....

Wait until you read 'Lord and Ladies'. Pratchett has quite a... novel way of looking at certain themes Tolkien used. Oddly I've never been able to think about ... but nah, I'm not going to give anything away yet if you haven't read it.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #120
Ascal Elessar
Sapling

I'm a huge Terry Prattchet fan, I've read all the Discworld books. The ones involving the City Watch are my favourites. My favourite character would have to be Death, closly followed by Rincewind.

Has anyone read Monstorous Regiment yet? Is it any good?
Ascal Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote