Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #101
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Marty was hanging around Ray and a few ball players in the corner, talking about whether or not the game had been cancelled. "Look, even the altheletes needed to be sorted into classes. I am sure the game was rescheduled for some time in the first quarter, once things and schedules are under way!" Ray was also a very decent ball player and had something of a stake in playing the game as well. "I hope so....You guys are probably right." He seemeed much relieved at his fellow player's explination. Just then the page at chancellor's door boomed out "Marthalion of Arnor".

Flashing a grin to his buddies, he straighten his tunic and schooled himself into the cool court demeanor that befitted one of his station. He stood tall and strode to the office, opened the door and closed it behind him. He turned around and bowed to the chancellor, "Greetings Milord Chancellor." He looked evenly at the ice-lord, trying not to avert his one good eye.

"Well met, Marthalion. Take a seat." Marty bowed his head, still not quite used to having his full name announced. He mustered all the grace he possed and took a seat at the chair indicated. It seemed the chancellor's gaze effectively pinned him to the seat. "so, you would wish to take these classes?"

"Yes, Lord Ilmenzor. I wish to take defensive building 210, seige tactics 117, philosophy 210, Wine tasting, Sword Smithing 325 and Commerce. If that is all well."

Ilmenzor looked as though he were scanning Marty, and Marty keenly felt the power of this nobleman across from him. Whew! And to think Val is related to him! I dont want to be either man's enemy. especially when Val developes his powers further! He already gives me one hell of a time. I hope I can get these classes, especially commerce. Val needs some protection from all those ladies...."

The chancellor leaned back and seemed fairly amused. "It seems that the commerce class is by far perhaps the most sought after... and what you are choosing is quite the course load. Very well, you may take those classes"

Oh thank the Vala!

With a nod, Marty knew he was dismissed. He rose, bowed again and headed to the door. Once he was out, he was pleased to note that neither his voice nor he had shaken or gone weak, intense though the short interveiw was. He walked over to the refreshment table and poured himself some champaign, and made his way over to his friends.

"Well how was it?" Ray was interested.

"Well, put it this way: I know how the fish feel once they've been fried! And val gives us little battles when he tries his mind bending stuff on us, this fellow blew me away...."

"Good lord, and to think that we are going to have to see him for every registration!" Ray whislted.

It took a while and finally Ray's name was called. He straightened up, looked resolute and ready for mental battle. He too came back slightly shaken after a period of time, Marty grinned at him. "See what I mean?" Ray nodded, poured himself a drink and smiled wainly. "no kidding....But I got all my courses, almost the same as you save that I have ship-building as opposed to your Defensive structures. As well as picking up a spare jewlers class." Marty then took notice of a rather distressed looking Lilly, he nudged Ray and nodded towards her.

"She doesn't look to pleased...I wonder how her audience went?"

"Perhaps we should go and ask?" To them, it seemed the wisest course of action, and they brought an extra drink for Lily. "Lily, You dont look to well, is everything alright?"
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 09-30-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #102
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

"If you are here as House Manager, your time belongs to me, not Lady Lilaewen. I am master of this house, so it would be wise on you part to re-sheath your own knife if you want a hand to weild it with," replied Galadannun harshly. "I am Galadannun, Proffeser of Oriental Languages at The University and good friends with the Arch Chancellor."
Rian looked at him for a moment. There seemed something strange about him. He seemed similar to others of the house, yet more powerful. Finally she re-sheathed her own knife.
"Why are you here? I thought this house was her's and her brothers?" she replied cautiosly.
"She is my sister and this house is mine."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #103
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Valandil rolled over onto his back, stretched out his arms and opened his eyes. He felt like lying there longer, but knew it was better to get up for a few hours before going back to bed for the night, so he forced himself to rise.

His window faced east and a little south, over the river, so he could not see the position of the sun, but the lengthening shadows and tone of the sky told him that it was late afternoon. He splashed a little water on his face and wondered whether he should try to get in a little study, or just sit by the fire with Estelmo and Oreturion and see what Marty and Ray had to say about the afternoon. For one - he was hungry - so that clinched it.

*ouch* He knew he shouldn't have jumped on that coach like he had, not with the bum ankle. He heard a thumping out in the hallway... that would be Estelmo, so he called to him, "Lord Estelmo!"

"Yes, my King?" came a voice through the door.

"Have you a spare walking-stick I may borrow for the evening? I have twisted my ankle."

The thumping sound continued on down the corridor outside and soon returned, ending with a light rapping on the door.

"Enter..."

In came Estelmo, walking with the aid of a cane in one hand, while in the other he carried a spare - which he held out toward Valandil. "Watch it my King... you'll be like me before your time." he said, with a twinkle in his eye.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-17-2005, 09:52 AM   #104
Valandil

That evening, back at The Red Herring, as Annawen waited tables, swept floors and cleaned dishes, wondering if HE would come, her mind kept drifting back to the old fable of Sindariel... with the wicked step-mother and the evil-step sisters... and an ancient Prince of Old Pelargir... and a glass slipper.

She thought of the upcoming mid-semester ball, in a few weeks - right on the Eruhantale, and she smiled.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 09-17-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #105
Valandil

At dusk, his hunger now satisfied, Valandil sat before the fire with Estelmo, for the evening was growing cool as the last of summer faded into autumn. He sipped on a warm concoction that Estelmo swore by - and the two sat for some time, Valandil quizzing Estelmo for stories of ages long ago.

Estelmo was his Chief Loremaster and tutor. His position was largely to honor him for his long service to the family, but he was competent enough in any regard, although some thought his tongue had grown a bit too loose with age. Still, times were peaceful and no harm had ever come of it - only a little embarrassment now and again. He was a rather large man, not as tall as Valandil, but had grown thicker the past 40 or so years. Many Dunedain shaved their beards, as Valandil did, in token of their association with Elves - Estelmo had grown a beard for as long as Valandil could remember, though men said his face was always shaven before Gladden Fields.

Estelmo's story was well-known among the Dunedain. He had been a scribe in Old Numenor - an orphan boy of 14 (his parents having been among the Faithful sacrificed by Sauron) when the deluge came. He had been on the island - in fact, chasing after Queen Miriel up the Meneltarma when the wave struck. He was the last to see her alive, for she was caught up by it before his eyes - and he was caught up as well and saw no living thing for the next three days - though he himself survived, clinging to a tree uprooted by the force of the waters.

On the third day, morning showed him close to several ships, and they hailed him. Elendur, eldest son of Isildur and Valandil's oldest brother (though he was but 20 then - just 6 years older than Estelmo), had caused a line to be tied about his waist and secured to the ship, leapt into the raging seas and swam to Estelmo - rescuing him when they were hauled back into Isildur's ship. From that time on, Estelmo had departed from his studies as a scribe and swore his eternal allegiance to Elendur and his house. Elendur had accepted him, and he had become his personal servant and, after sufficient training in arms, his esquire. Thus he was with him every day for 124 years - growing older than other esquires, but refusing all opportunities of advancement to roquen, for he only desired to serve Elendur and not be separated from him to make a name for himself. He stayed where Elendur stayed and went where Elendur went - going north to Arnor with him and the rest of Isildur's family after the fall of Minas Ithil, returning with him to Gondor in the Last Alliance of Elves and Men - always fighting at his side.

And then, after the war - the decision to return north to Arnor to dwell, the march up Anduin and... Gladden Fields. It was Estelmo who heard the last known words spoken between Isildur and Elendur - and many puzzled at their meanings - and at the form of Isildur's escape. Estelmo thought he would surely die - and indeed he fell, but he lived. And when Men gathered quickly from the villages and farms about, and drove off the remnant of Orcs, they found him, alone - living but wounded - and one of them took Estelmo into his home.

That was late in the year - and it was there - in a woodsman's cottage, that young Valandil and his search party had found him, early the next year, after Ohtar's arrival in Rivendell. From that time, Estelmo had stayed in the service of Isildur's house, for the presumed widow of Isildur wished to honor him for his long service to her son, and for his own valor as well. With his damaged leg, he was no longer suited for arms, so he returned to the pen and the scroll and quickly surpassed most of Arnor's remaining loremasters of that time (for many of their brightest young men had fallen on the field with Estelmo's master that day).

Thus he was now 185 years of age. He had taken no wife - though he had opportunity enough in his early years in old Gondor - and even in his later years the young ladies of Arnor's court found him intriguing; for his stories and his wit and the mystique that surrounded him. Or maybe his smile and his laughter and the twinkle in his eye - and the kind words he inserted into his conversation - all the more when his listeners were young ladies.

As they spoke, Valandil asked Estelmo if he had heard news of the game. At that moment, in walked Oreturion - his Chamberlain, who answered the question himself.

"Your audience with the Chancellor, my King, is tomorrow - but all the other students have been required to visit with him today. Thus the game was postponed until tomorrow. So you see... you will have no opportunity to play in it anyway. And... will you be taking another midnight ride tonight?"

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 09-17-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:23 AM   #106
Valandil

Oreturion seemed as different from Estelmo as two men could be - at least two men who were both fit for Arnor's court.

He was born a younger son of the house ruling Arnor's Principality along the River Lhun. He had caught Elendil's eye as a young man, and his father happily agreed to send him back to Annuminas with the first High King - where he became an apt pupil to Elendil, whose sons and grandsons were all far from him. When news of war in the south came, he made ready and went forth with the other men, and he served well - but always his gifts were of insight and perception, rather than in personal combat in arms - and he had learned to know the hearts of men, and to guess at their minds. He was intensely loyal to the House of Elendil, and he served with no need for recognition or reward, but he was a valuable man to have. After the fall of Elendil and war's end, Oreturion had returned as quickly as he could (just after his master Elendil's burial) and had married a young lady of Arnor - grand-daughter of Elendil's old Chamberlain.

He was a little shorter than Estelmo, but still just right about man-high (OOC - from UT, what we would call ~ 6'-4" ~ 193 cm, I think). He was compact - fit and trim, clean-shaven, his hair pulled back, still dark but beginning to gray and his features hard and stern. All his movements seemed brisk and energetic. He never laughed, rarely smiled, and only spoke when asked or at great need - but he always perceived when his insights were needed, and shared them with the King as discretely as he could.

Oreturion was now about 130 years old - a Dunedain in his prime, and he understood well about power, and how and when it should be applied. He was still happily married, by all appearances. His family had remained home in Annuminas for now, but he intended to send for them soon if it appeared that this 'Tharbad Adventure' would go for more than one semester; his wife, his young son of 15 - who Men said was just like his father, and a young daughter of 30... a very strong-willed young lady and sharp-tongued at times. Valandil's occasional thoughts of taming her were tempered by the strains this might place on his relationship with her father... and he would know... for he knew all that went on in the court, it seemed.

Oreturion had proven his value to Valandil early, for the young King, on assuming the throne, had heeded King Meneldil's requests for aid in rebuilding and restoring Gondor after the War. For many years, gifts had flowed down to the southern kingdom from the north, always against the advice of Oreturion. Many of the men who delivered them never returned, for they often became enamoured of Gondor and married widows - or daughters - of Gondor's fallen, and inherited rich, fertile lands, and great estates of grain and orchards and flocks and herds - and they came to love the milder climate. Finally, Valandil saw indeed that Gondor was less in need of these things than Arnor - and that the poorer had been giving generously to the richer - and he shut off the flow of supplies and made Oreturion his chief advisor, and began at last to listen to him - and to learn from him.

Oreturion had begun to train Valandil in the use of his mind - in the abilty to read the thoughts and hearts of other men, and to screen his own mind from those who had this perception themselves... just as Valandil's grandfather had once taught it to him. This was useful for the High King in his continual dealings with Meneldil - and Meneldil grew frustrated, for at first the young King was an open book to his mind - a fruit ripe for the plucking, but with Oreturion's tutelage, Valandil soon became the stronger, when they convened at their palantiri. Once Valandil had surpassed him, Meneldil had begun to come to the palantir less frequently - and had forbidden others than himself to converse there with the High King, lest they reveal some knowledge he would as soon keep guarded.

Oreturion was the loyal, trusted, insightful servant that every king like young Valandil would want.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 09-19-2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:14 PM   #107
Valandil

Oreturion pulled up a chair at the fire and joined the two other men. Each had reasons to anticipate their meeting with the Chancellor on the following day, whether with expectancy or apprehension.

To Estelmo, he was a companion from his younger days - and a friend's son who was tragically scarred by fearful captivity.

To Valandil, he was an unmet cousin - not a first cousin, but not too distant either - and one who had personally served Valandil's own family - who had known his father, and mother and brothers. He had, like Estelmo, returned to the quest for learning after the war - and had traveled south and east afterwards, while Estelmo went north and west. But he had returned an accomplished loremaster - his knowledge all the more valued because much of it came from foreign lands and was unshared by those of the Arnor-Gondor academic community.

To Oreturion, he was unknown, but not unguessed. It seemed odd that he would leave his chair at Osgiliath - the center of the two kingdoms' brilliance and achievement since the fall of so many at Gladden - for the relatively backwater place of Tharbad. Perhaps there had been trouble internally - Oreturion knew well how rugged academic politics could be - and maybe Ilmenzor wished to escape that. Or maybe he just wished to leave the high-pressured environment for one that was more relaxed... or to be more exalted (as he was here) and less challenged (as one was likely to be at a place like OU).

But still... the timing of his coming to Tharbad had aligned, more or less, with Valandil's mastery of the palantir communication with Meneldil. Oreturion couldn't shake the suspicion that Meneldil was behind this 'opportunity' of USAT to grab OU's highly-regarded Chancellor.

Alternately... King Meneldil was ambitious enough himself, as were almost all men of like birth. If a first cousin to King Valandil might be as ambitious as Meneldil, it should not be surprising if a third cousin was just as ambitious himself. And Meneldil had a veritable stable of children, nephews and even a grandson born last year - while Valandil had no wife, no heir and was the only surviving decendant of Elendil in all Arnor. And... if Ilmenzor did not mean to make an attempt to destroy, dispose of and supplant Valandil on his own, there was a lovely daughter (and Oreturion knew well the allure of lovely daughters on any young, single king like Valandil - *sigh*)... with whom Ilmenzor might try to make an arrangement. She was a third cousin-once removed - certainly far enough to be acceptable - and near enough to be of notable birth - a descendant of Numendil was she.

All these things troubled Oreturion, for tomorrow's meeting between Valandil and Ilmenzor was important - and Valandil must guard himself and establish himself. For Oreturion, it was his testing... as a teacher.

"Gentlemen," he said, "It is yet early, but I suggest that after only one more drink and a little more talk, that we retire for the evening. Tomorrow will be an important day - and we must be prepared to greet it."

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 09-19-2005 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #108
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Penny stepped in thru the doors to the Audience chamber.

"Lord Penlogog, of the East, here to seek an audience with thou, Chancellor."
said the announcer.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #109
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Penny entered and closed the door behind him. He knew already what to expect, as Lilly, after some time, managed to collect enough of her wits to send him a silent message.

The Chancellor sat at the table, the register open in front of him. He looked exactly like Penny remembered him, same arrogant, clear-cut features and beaky nose, only his dark hair was now streaked with silver, and he wore a midnight blue robe instead of his usual sable one.

Penny bowed deeply and muttered "My Lord Captain".

"Ah, Buzukkumarz", said the Morgul Lord, unsurprized. "Still following our Lilly everywhere?"

Penny shifted uneasily.

"Bridge Building", "Siege Strategy", read the Chancellor, "Well, following those courses may do you some good. But I am definitely against you attending "Wine Tasting". I don't want you drinking more than you usually do around here.

And..."Commerce?" the Chancellor seemed much amused.

"What is wrong with "Commerce", my Captain?" asked Penny, "Lilly is taking it.."

"Commerce is not for men this year", replied the Captain enigmatically. "You may go".

Last edited by Gordis : 09-19-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:51 AM   #110
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

RÃ*an thought for a moment, feeling like there were unknown dangers all around her and she had better watch her words until she found out more.

"Well, I wish the Lady Lilaenwen had given me a little more information about who was to be staying here when she engaged me, but she seemed in quite a hurry and it must have slipped her mind. I am willing to stay on and manage the household for the same terms that she and I agreed upon, if that is agreeable to you. I have already sent notes to some good people I know to fill the other household positions, and hope to hear back from them shortly. Shall I stay, or shall I leave now?" She paused, then said with a slight smile, "Either way, you end up with a clean kitchen!"

She looked at him cautiously as she awaited his response, wondering just what exactly it was about this household, and especially this man, that made her rather hope he would chose the latter option.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-18-2005 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:25 AM   #111
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
"Aye, Sire. your wish is my command." Penny said."Bridge Building B and Siege Strategy C it is then." he remarked, looking over the Courses listed in a book lying on a table by the Audience Chamber door before he left.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:36 AM   #112
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

After a long silence Galadannun stepped back and sighed.
"You may stay on, but you have three days to employ the rest of the staff. If this is not acomplished I shall find someone more reliable," he replied.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #113
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Lilly was still fuming from the Chancellor's biting comments, and not a little afraid. The shock of seeing her Captain ruined her carefully laid plans. He is after the Ring, that much is clear, thought Lilly, biting her lips. What else may he want in Arnor, unless it is the kingdom itself? He will not let me marry Val, he will not let me have the Ring. He wants all for himself, as usual. "

"You dont look too well, is everything alright?" asked Marty, concern in his voice.
"Oh, Marty", wailed Lilly, "he was SOOO unpleasant!"
Old 09-18-2005, 01:04 PM   #114
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum Viv's Answer to Everything

Viniglaen walked up to Lilly, and handed her a glass of miruvor, to calm her down a bit. It was obvious to Viv that this time poor Lilly actually wasn't acting; she really WAS distressed.
"Here, have a drink, Lil; it'll help a little," Viv said, handing Lil the snifter, light concern in her eyes.

" Viv," Lilly snapped, "is your answer to EVERYthing a drink?!" She snatched it anyway, and threw back the contents of the glass, sniffled, then immediately felt bad for having snapped at little Viv. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that, " Lil said, already warm and fuzzy inside from the delicious miruvor.

Viv, having never taken offense in the first place, just smiled. Lilly was SO dramatic!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-02-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:26 PM   #115
CrazySquirrel

"A drink is really an answer to EVERYTHING", said Penny, approaching the group. He just left the Chancellor's office, but seemed almost unperturbed.

"Don't cry, little sister", he said to Lilly, kissing her cheek in the most brotherly fashion.
"Please, come to our house, now that the interviews are over" said Penny, addressing Marty and Ray. My big brother Galadannun brought a goodly flask of the finest Dorwinion wine. Let's go and drain it!"
Old 09-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #116
CrazySquirrel

Once her interview was over, Annawen left the Chancellor's palace at the first opportunity. Such lofty guilded halls were not for such as her. Her lowly place was in the tavern among drinking and chewing customers. What a fooloshnes was this idea of studying Commerce! Tears were running down her face, but she payed them no heed. She wanted to see a friendly face in this sea of strangers, she needed to talk to Rian.

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 09-19-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #117
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

"we gladly accept your invitation. I hold the same opinon! Our audiences were little better." They bowed and stayed around the little "family" of easterners chatting aimiably and deciding later to go over to their house. Playfully hinting at dragging the young Val along with them.

Marty and Ray then parted company to go refresh- meaning taking a nap- and dress themselves. And maybe flirt with a girl or two on the way.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 09-19-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #118
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

The reception has finally ended. After having dismissed the last student, the Arch-Chancellor sat at the table and consulted the register. Yes, definitely, the Commerce class was going to be interesting. There were 9 girls, King Valandil and his two friends, Martalion and Raendil.

The Chancellor’s silver eyes scanned the register further. "Embalming III". There was no one but the King. A wintry smile lit the Chancellor’s face. Yes, Aiwendis should deepen her learning on the subject. They will be alone in this class. Let the other girls study Commerce…

Last edited by Gordis : 09-22-2005 at 07:09 PM. Reason: replaced to put the original part further down the thread
Old 09-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #119
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum Viv and Her Family Walk Back to Orrodel

As Marty and Ray took their leave, and the ballroom's buzz edged back into the streets and homes of Tharbad, Pengolod, Lilaenwen, and Viniglaen mutually agreed it was time to take the party back home. Viv was wondering how Galadannun was doing, all by himself at home in Orrodel tonight, then she remembered - he couldn't be alone, the new maid was probably there. 'Even worse,' she thought to herself, 'if he's woken up by now and found her there, well that's all we need is another newbie wraith to deal with.' Then she grinned wryly to herself, musing upon Khamul's fiercely attractive ruthlessness, and tried to put a damper on her rising lustful attraction for that cold and powerful Nazgul. She'd always had a thing for him, though not a soul, living or unalive, could have perceived her secret fascination.

Five was in high spirits, shoulder-hugging the beautiful, weepy yet giggling Lilly as they lightly play-chatted with one another during the lovely, moonlit walk home. But Viv was lost in her own little thought world. What to do, what move to make next. She tried to shut her greedy little mind off of that beautiful bracelet she had spotted on some nobleman's wife, and those rings! She'd seen beautiful rings everywhere, on all sorts of hands. Antiques, one-of-a-kind family heirlooms, even crown jewels set upon a dainty finger here and there.

Having seen and spoken with her revered Lord and Captain had straightened her focus out, however; and her old and strong singular resolve burned anew. 'I must secure my future, and make concrete my dreams,' she thought fervently. 'I must acquire that Ring.'

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-02-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:21 AM   #120
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

RÃ*an checked the smart come-back that was aching to get out, thinking it wiser to be on the safe side with this man. Hasty words had landed her in trouble before, and this man didn't look like one to fool around with! Still, she didn't have to work for her living - she was very capable of living off the land, and had done so for many years in her wanderings - and she had a note of pride in her voice as she bowed her head very slightly and said, "That condition is agreeable to me, Professor Galadannun. I think you will find me a very capable household manager. And now, if you'll excuse me, I have some more work to do." She turned slightly and left quickly out a side exit, thus avoiding walking by the man - after all, daggers sometimes have a mind of their own...

As she headed into the pantry to check the food supplies, she remembered his remark on her name. Perhaps she should have given the Sindarin form of her name, but usually humans, who do not typically have the language-love of the Elves, never noticed the uniqueness of her name, and it didn't occur to her to do that. When she met with Elves on her travels and wasn't in the mood to discuss her half-elven heritage or her past life in Gondolin, she would give them her name in Sindarin form to stop the inevitable questions that arose when they would hear her father-name (which was the one she preferred), which reflected both her father's human heritage and the flavor of the speech of Gondolin.

Looking around the pantry, she was pleasantly surprised - apparently these people had some money, and luckily they had ordered a large supply of foodstuffs. Perhaps they liked entertaining, she mused. As she turned over some ideas for meals for the next day, she was surprised to hear a knock at the door. "Now who is it?!" she wondered, "another brother? or perhaps a cousin? I wish it was one of my friends - I could sure use someone to talk to!" She was still very concerned about what she had overhead earlier that evening about the young King, and wasn't sure what, if anything, she should do about it.

She came out of the pantry, saw gratefully that Galadannun (and his dagger) had gone, and headed towards the door. She opened the door and gasped - before her stood a lovely elf maiden with long flowing hair, dressed in green...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-19-2005 at 02:29 AM.