Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2002, 03:13 AM   #101
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Malathor looked around to see if anyone else may have seen or heard the commotion. The noise from the tavern down stairs seemed to have drowned out noise from upstairs.

Malathor let every one else enter before he did.

He quickly glanced at all who were there.

The human Lysander seemed to be a Ranger of the North.

While Nibenel seemed to be a Dunedain of the south.

The Human/Hobbit Feraway seemed quite young to him, but he would withhold judgement until he came to know her better.

While never a overly fond of Dwarves, he knew they were fierce warriors.

Hawair he knew and trusted.

The unknowns to him were the ones called Beldaryn and Kalnarnen..

He didn't know what to make of the former and he definately didn't trust the latter.

"Yes, how does one kill a wight AND why do we think we are capable?"

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 10:58 PM   #102
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Nibenel's brow wrinkled as she pondered Malathor's question.

"Is it possibe to kill a wight at all? I thought they were wraiths..."
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:48 AM   #103
Lysander
Sapling

"I'll be the first to admit that I know little of these wights. In my experience, however, they are menaces not to be tifled with. Still, an investigation must be made; only by encountering these beings head-on will we learn their true power, and, hopefully, their weaknesses. Chattering endlessly about rumour and long-lost lore will do little to help the people of this land. I suggest we move out at first light; any more insights into our foes we may have can be discussed enroute."
Lysander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 03:17 PM   #104
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Nariel looked around. "What I know of these wights I believe has already been discussed. THey are spirits, servant of the witch-king, in bodies stolen from graves. The bodies I know can be destroyed but whether the wights can or not I know not. Nevertheless, I concur with the Ranger in that petty chat will not aid us. Only in meeting the wights will we know thier power. However, I do suggest one that may know more than the rest of us combined. And I suggest we meet in council with this one, the unknown- Tom Bombadil."

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:58 PM   #105
delchrys
Hobbit

"tom bombadil has divorced himself from the cares and affairs of the world of Men..." beldaryn's voice trailed off as his eyes regained their focus. he looked askance, noticing the attention of the room had shifted to him. "why do you stare at me?" he asked, perplexed.
delchrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:52 PM   #106
Legolas
Elven Warrior

OOC: I am sorry for not posting for a few days. I'm a bit ill, and this may continue for a while. If I'm not active for 5 days, let afro-elf handle Hawair, OK?

IC: Hawair was the last to get back to the room. When question abaout the wights came, Hawair thought at first to himself: "what do I know about them? Nearly nothing..." o, he was very interested about the idea of meeting Tom Bombadil. He had heard much about him, and he was wanting to see him. He knew Tom was not affected by the Ring, also had Hawair heard about Tom's great knowing of nature. So, when Hawair could say a word, he said:
- Well, I think Nibenel's idea is a great one. Even if Tom Bombadil does not want to help us, a visit to his land will not be of any harm to us.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:31 PM   #107
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

OOC: Legolas I've got you covered. I THINK you meant nariel who is traveling by the name Kalnarnen instead of Nibenel.

Malathor stared at beldaryn after the old man spoke. Something just clicked. Was it possible that Beldaryn was...

During his stay at the Grey Havens and Rivendell he had learned a smattering of phrases.. He asked the Human a question in a language that few now spoke in Middle Earth. He waited a reply.

OOC the language was Quenya. It was never rarely spoken in the third age by any save the Noldor and only during special occassions.

Sindarin was the lingua franca of the Elves. Numenoreans/Dunedain used it as a language of lore and as a secondary common tongue. So the Elven that everyone knows is Sindarin.

This doesn't mean that your characters CAN"T understand it but it would be really strecthing it.

My character only picked up a smattering of it and that being quite recent.

The two Dunedain could POSSIBLY know it. If Sindarin was the langauge of Lore then Quenya would have been a SUPER language of lore.

Sort of like knowing Latin ( Sindarin)

And Quenya being ANCIENT Greek or Sanskrit.

Hawair and Nariel might recognize it Quenya but probably would not know what was said.

Feraway sorry kid, but no chance. Just wouldn't fit.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 02-07-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:49 AM   #108
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

beldaryn replies, in Quenya, "yes, i understand."

he looks even more surprised at himself.

"what is this?" he exclaims in 'common'.

Malathor paused. His brown skin stretched around his face as an exasperated look overtook him.

Malathor finally answered, "I asked you in 'Quenya do you understand me'. I barely know more than what I just asked you.
It is a tongue that is extremely rare in these fading years of Middle-Earth.

It is now only spoken rarely save those who have close ties to uttermost West and then only on select occasions.

I am a little loathe to speak of what I am thinking. For there may be other powers at work here that may outstrip our concerns; however, I do feel that those here deserve to know truth of matters especially if we are to me traveling companions."

He looked at Beldaryn and also a long moment at Kalnarnen.

He then continued, " If you wish I will voice my opinion aloud here with all others present or we could take a moment alone then come back and address the group.

Please excuse my caution but these are dangerous times.
Lysander can attest to the increased patrol of the Rangers here.
Nibnenel to the growing strength of Mordor. Hawair and myself to the increasing power of Dol Guldor.

I am wont to hinder someone who could be of assistance to us in these dark hours.

So Beldaryn do you wish for me to speak before us as a group or in private?

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 02-08-2002 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:15 PM   #109
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

OOC:
Afro elf- "Feraway sorry kid, but no chance. Just wouldn't fit."

lol. Course not.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 07:48 PM   #110
delchrys
Hobbit

beldaryn replied, "i fear much the secrets locked within my head, but i will never fear Truth. you may voice your thoughts here and now. there is doubt and suspicion enough for all in this room; i do not seek to lengthen the shadow in these dark times."

holding his staff in the crook of one arm, he crossed his arms and waited to hear what the elf had to say...
Old 02-10-2002, 11:52 AM   #111
Legolas
Elven Warrior

OOC: Oh sorry, I confused Nibenel and Kalnernen

IC: Hawair was listening to the talks. He knew Malathor said something in Quenya, yet his knowledge was not great enough to understand the meaning of his words. Despite this, Hawair was one of the least-knowing persons in the group, if talking about the wights. So, Hawair chose to wait for any good ideas to come out.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:56 PM   #112
delchrys
Hobbit

"why would we brave the peril these spirits offer?" beldaryn inquired. "it sounds like they have been in their barrows for quite some time; why should we risk horrible fates to try to kill the unkillable?"
Old 02-12-2002, 10:13 PM   #113
Lysander
Sapling

"Perhaps, since the integrity of your memory seems to be in doubt, you've forgotten the poor soul who wandered into the tavern earlier this evening; the old man whose final words concerned these wights. We owe it to his memory, and to all the innocent and good people of these lands, to investigate the trouble. Whether these wights are unkillable are not seems inconsequential to our duty."
Lysander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 01:18 AM   #114
delchrys
Hobbit

"perhaps one can be so hasty as to confuse duty with foolishness, but that, is suppose, is for those greater than me to decide," beldaryn responded. "i felt the stirrings of memories at the mention of the word 'wight'" he continued, "so i must assume that it lies in my fate to attend to this matter alongside the others."
Old 02-13-2002, 02:18 AM   #115
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Malathor finally spoke, "Beldaryn, there are very few east of the sea who speak Quenya. You seem to have an intimate knowledge of Iarwain or Tom Bombadil as they call him in these parts. And you obvisously possess the Art. If I may hazard a guess I would say that you are a member of the Istari. The same order that Gandalf the Grey is member of.

The following is utter speculation. Perhaps since the Wights are active again maybe that was you reason for being here. Maybe your memory was lost after an intial confrontation with them? Or, Perhaps the process of incarnation was the cause of your memory loss?

He turned to the Ranger. Riding off to a needless death will not help the Breelanders or do much good for other's memory.

I say that they can be defeated, if not truly destroyed. They inhabit the bodies of the dead. If the bodies can me destroyed then their connection to the physical world is also broken."

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-13-2002, 01:48 PM   #116
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Hawair replied:
- Beldaryn, I agree to thy wise words that one may confuse duty and foolisheness, yet it can not be seen easily. To see whether it was one's glory or doom to do anything, one must travel to the end. Of course, as you yourself seem to be one of the Istari, you may know what this is. You, and not any other from the group. If your memory failure does not let you to determine, then the only possible outcome I can think of is going to the barrows.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:08 PM   #117
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Although everyone else seemed interested in the wizard's history, Nariel was getting bored. She wanted to see Iarwain again. Meeting him had indeed changed her outlook on life. And Goldberry his wife had seemed so unconcerned. She would be glad to see them again. But she would never get to if the others kept talking. She wished they would hurry.

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
Old 02-13-2002, 06:26 PM   #118
delchrys
Hobbit

"i do not know if what you say is correct," beldaryn replied, "but it is true that my memories elude me as we sit here, and the barrows may yet hold the key to what i have lost."

he paused briefly.

"i am weary; my travels have begun to drag upon my eyes and my thoughts. I propose that we sleep now and depart at dawn for these barrows. are we in agreement?"

beldaryn waited for the group's acquiesence, preparing to sleep.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:40 PM   #119
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

Nariel looked around. The others also looked weary, save the two Elves.

"I, for one, require no rest. And I doubt that Malathor and Hawair require it. However, I should be willing to wait until you others have met your required rest."

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
Old 02-15-2002, 09:09 AM   #120
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Malathor:

"I concur. Let those who need rest do so. As far as the Wights I say that fire may be our greatest weapon. I say burn them. Upon mortals they cast a aura of fear, so we should me weary. Upon us ( referring to the Elves), I so not think the fear is the same, but more along the lines of the fear that anyone would face if one faces a lethal foe.

The two Dunedain with us may be steadfast, so my greatest concern is for the..." Malathor paused not quite knowing how to address the 1/2 halfing

" the young lady." he continued. "Feraway I do not doubt your courage but I am concerned about your extreme youth.

'Dern Helm"