Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #101
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

LMM, could you, please, post the info on your public characters into the Info thread?
I mean Mahtaliel's two assistants - I tried to find their names (and sex) in the game thread, to include in my post, but it is buried deep already- and Fionne and the other one at the public school.

No need to be too elaborate in their stories, but do put at least their names, approx. age and function, please!

And BB, please, do the same! At least for some characters you mention - Elmir Pudd? etc.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #102
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

As a matter of minor interest - Udu has been in Tharbad about twenty-four hours. He has spent exactly one night in the city, and already he has been in one serious fight with a comrade; seen the spectacle of Lilly at the jewelry store and Singing Swan; and now he is going to the library and who knows what will happen there. Things have been more lively in one day than they have been for a thousand or so years.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 12-01-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #103
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ahhh! lotesse, great post , both in terms of the fluid and compelling reading, but also in terms of plot!

very interesting how you repair the reputation and cast doubt amongst the elven fair ... or foul .. depending on your view

the morgul lord will be proud of you this merry tharbad day!

Gor ... get no heirs .. is aiwendis that sure??

actually could a wraithess bear a child??? .. probably not ...

but you must give the new king time ...valandil has an open field here to work with ... and the astute Mr O's wisdom to consider .. in terms of canon, who really knows what the northern high Kingdom did in these years and thought of the southerners??

but also ... we few as are met here ... tis' up to us to conjecture also , how come the northern realm was later so weak??

But it is not canon that valandil may not have sought (or not as val decides) to strengthen his reach, trade and power here in the north ....

but i like a lot the motives of the Morgul lord .... makes much sense and gives good plot direction ...

best all, BB
Old 12-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #104
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Maggie - I loved your sneaky idea about the keys, you canny thing, you! That never occurred to me!

Lotesse - I'm so glad you liked my post, and I loved yours! I like the ambiguity of it. I came up with a really funny (to me, at least) parting line for Alagos (from my vast experience of kissing horses on their cute little noses), though, so would you mind editing out your last line (which I loved, and I"ll put into my post) so I can post and get the line in? I'll go post it now - let me know what you think

Gordis - No, it's not "Pengoloeth" - I used a special character, as Tolkien did, in his name, and apparently it came up weird on your computer It's the kind of curvy 'd' with a line crossing thru at the top; it indicates a kind of soft "dth" sound. If it doesn't work with your computer, just stick with "Pengolod"

Udu - Yes, a lot has happened - it's kind of hard to remember that it's only been 1 rpg day for the last several weeks!

General time comment - I think we can do a nice mix of exact times and general times. Personally, I lose track, and so if someone needs me to insert an exact time and tells me what it is, I'll be glad to do it

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #105
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
As a matter of minor interest - Udu has been in Tharbad about twenty-four hours. He has spent exactly one night in the city, and already he has been in one serious fight with a comrade; seen the spectacle of Lilly at the jewelry store and Singing Swan; and now he is going to the library and who knows what will happen there. Things have been more lively in one day than they have been for a thousand or so years.
Wonderful job in one day, Udu! the captain is proud of you!

Will you, please, post how you and Khamul kicked the two goluglob from the Library - in a most polite way, just before your brotherly talk? But I am worried for you, Udu, who knows what our Khamul really plans?

No, BB, I believe the wraithesses will have no children, too old for that
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #106
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Lotesse - I just got my post up, let me know if it's ok with you - if so, your last line in your post will need to go out (I incorporated it into my post). Also, I think I'd like to add one line when Viv mentions Orrodel - that scene was deeply offensive to a loving brother, and I think he would be more upset than you wrote him. I think it will be just adding one line, and it will blend in nicely with how he took her hand and felt the fair/foul thing. I'll think about it and get back to you, or see if you can come up with some suggestions. I'm thinking it would be an immediate reaction when the name Orrodel comes up, but he would mask most of it, and realize that she was not involved, or something like that. Anyway, I"ll think it over while I'm doing the dinner/homework thing

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 12-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #107
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

don't see it myself Ri ... in terms of how lotesse wrote the situation it seems to fit .. not perhaps what he WOULD think , but cetainly in the momment of the dialougue, what he might well say .... semed very real and well written.

Btw ..Doc UDU , should you wish to join the triumverate (or Quad Doc's if you acquiese ) of good doc's here on the moot as invited ... i'd recommend (and i'm sure Doc GW and Doc Anduril would concur with me on this ... )

... it'd be a nice bedside manner approach to wish our celebrated patient (melfena) a belated happy birthday in the thread over there ...

best ... and night all!

BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 12-01-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #108
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Wonderful job in one day, Udu! the captain is proud of you!

Will you, please, post how you and Khamul kicked the two goluglob from the Library - in a most polite way, just before your brotherly talk? But I am worried for you, Udu, who knows what our Khamul really plans?
Gordis, my post just passed this message. I do not have time to redo it tonight. Perhaps TD could take care of that tomorrow?

Brotherly talk? hehehe Udu is already planning where he is going to put the "instruments." Not for use on Khamul, of course, but maybe.... who knows.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #109
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Btw ..Doc UDU , should you wish to join the triumverate (or Quad Doc's if you acquiese ) of good doc's here on the moot as invited ... i'd recommend (and i'm sure Doc GW and Doc Anduril would concur with me on this ... )

... it'd be a nice bedside manner approach to wish our celebrated patient (melfena) a belated happy birthday in the thread over there ...
BB, I seldom venture out of the RPG forum. I scarcely have time for that. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #110
Rían

my, my, my - such lovely accomodations Udu is suggesting to add on!

GTG - I really can't write the library post until Sunday night at the earliest - I think someone else will have to do it, or someone put in a placeholder or something - sorry, I"m busy packing and getting ready to go for the weekend!

Old 12-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #111
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
my, my, my - such lovely accomodations Udu is suggesting to add on!
Back in the East, if they were still alive, we usually just buried them up to their necks in the sand or staked them out to four posts and let the ants eat their bodies. In the West, things are usually done with more finesse or style.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #112
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer

Gor ... get no heirs .. is aiwendis that sure??

actually could a wraithess bear a child??? .. probably not ...
My question exactly, for the King is INDEED expected to create heirs... Wont that be slightly pair shaped later on? And who the heck does Valandil marry in cannon tolkien, do we know?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:34 AM   #113
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Could a Wraithess Bear a Child is an excellent and very interesting question, one which I cannot beLIEVE I never really gave thought to before. Maybe 'cause I myself am not yet a momma, so I don't think to think along those lines. Would true age really matter? Don't the Nazgul age like elves, in that they just DON'T physically age? So, theoretically, Udu could be spawning all sorts of "evil babies" with his harem, and what Aiwendis could birth through a union with Valandil - woah. It boggeleth the mind. When I really stop to think about it, it seems quite possible. We Nazgul aren't ghosts, we're not even Barrow wights. Conceivably (o.k., couldn't resist the pun!) we could spawn or bear live children. Hmm.

Rian - well, I am SO happy to hear you approve of how I handled Alagos & that scene I wrote! Like BB says, though, I tried as well as I can to imply through the gist of the spoken conversation between them what Alagos might be feeling or really thinking, without being gratuitous about it or assuming to know what he might be in reality feeling or thinking while he said (or gestured) this or that. Just as I get very, very nervous about fellow writers assuming to know what to write my precious Viv as actually Thinking and Feeling, as opposed to Saying or Indicating, I get very, very nervous about writing this sort of thing in for others, with their respective precious characters. SO - in short, I'd like to leave it as I wrote it, and if you'd like to indicate Alagos as having extra private thoughts or impressions of that little brief meeting with Viv, please write them in yourself, incorporating it into one of your own beautiful posts!

and BB - oh freakin' A, what an awesome review! Thanx 4 the great critique.

o.k., now I've just re-logged in and it looks like a few of us have added story since this afternoon, so I have some reading to do; be back in a while...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 12-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #114
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
My question exactly, for the King is INDEED expected to create heirs... Wont that be slightly pair shaped later on? And who the heck does Valandil marry in cannon tolkien, do we know?
Nothing about it in canon, LSP. We presume some fine young noble Dunedain lady from Arnor. I have a fanfic account though - not near ready for publication yet. (or maybe an Elf maiden disguised as a fine young noble Dunedain lady.. ) (EDIT: did you see my fanfic here in Writers Workshop about who Valandil's son Eldacar marries? It's in a thread called "Tales of Nolduryon")

Lotesse - I tend to think a Nazgulette could not bear children. I think they're already "all stretched out" - like too little butter over too much bread. I think that while their rings keep them alive, it's sort of a mockery of REAL life. Don't take that personally.

Gordis - you just continue right along with your little plot. Meanwhile, no offense taken. The land is at peace, the Great Enemy has been defeated and his minions are all gone or scattered (right? ), there is prosperity in the land - people marry, have children, grow crops - and are generally happy! Now, just because that isn't what the ML has in mind...

Udu - just in keeping with the euphemistic manner of speaking, I humbly suggest substituting "interviews" for "interrogations" in your last post.

Rian - I didn't see anything about 'Rian' pining for Valandil (so where should I look?). In fact, I've been thinking you were gonna get her and Earniel together with her brother and his friend. I wondered if I was going to have to invent some more potential girlfriends... or marry an M or M! (and PS, Ri... how'd I do?)

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 12-02-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:11 AM   #115
Rían

Lotesse - It's not extra thoughts I'd like to add, it's a correction that I feel is critically important to who he is as a character, because he's my character. Just like when BB felt that TD wrote something out of character for Barli and asked for an edit (and got it), I feel that there is something out of character for Alagos and am asking for an edit.

And I repeat my offer to you for my post where I wrote for Viv - you get full and complete edit rights for anything I wrote for Viv, just like we always do here with other people's characters.

If you could just please add one line before the paragraph starting with "When Alagos took her delicate looking, yet assuredly firm-gripped hand in his to shake it... ", then I would feel that his character has been accurately portrayed. Would you please add this: "At the mention of "Orrodel", Alagos hesitated for a fraction of a second, remembering the unpleasant scene of that morning, but then realized that this lady could hardly be faulted for the manners of her relatives, so he reached for her outstretched hand." I feel that that would fix what is a problem with his character the way the post currently stands. Thanks! If you don't like how it's worded, I'm up to reading a suggestion of yours, but I need something along those lines to correct the portrayal of my character.

I think it's a really fun, enjoyable scene, and I'd like both of us to be happy about it, so let's allow edits for each other's characters until we're happy with them, and I hope for many more scenes between them!

Last edited by Rían : 12-02-2005 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:34 AM   #116
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Rian - I didn't see anything about 'Rian' pining for Valandil (so where should I look?). In fact, I've been thinking you were gonna get her and Earniel together with her brother and his friend. I wondered if I was going to have to invent some more potential girlfriends... or marry an M or M! (and PS, Ri... how'd I do?)
OH, I don't remember where it is, it's somewhere - and in several places, too. She's definitely interested in Valandil, esp. because of his heritage. Now eventually, frankly, she's gotta marry Tyaron, but did you see what that boy up and did Monday night? They've got some things to work out first, and right now, she definitely does not want to marry him, even without knowing about his little lapse. I had some mega-posts that you probably missed that explained a lot of this. I definitely want to pursue at least a friendship with possibilities between Valandil and Rian, as soon as (or IF) he doesn't want to pursue anything with Earniel (or vice-versa), because she's first in line (a looooong line, from what I'm hearing!)

ps - great story - I PMed you

Old 12-02-2005, 04:56 AM   #117
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
So, theoretically, Udu could be spawning all sorts of "evil babies" with his harem, and what Aiwendis could birth through a union with Valandil - woah. It boggeleth the mind. When I really stop to think about it, it seems quite possible. We Nazgul aren't ghosts, we're not even Barrow wights. Conceivably (o.k., couldn't resist the pun!) we could spawn or bear live children. Hmm.
Lotesse, actually, Udu and his wives have spawned nothing. There are spells to prevent things like that, you know. He is more conservative than you think. His fear is that if his identity should ever become known, that some "zealot" will try to slay his offspring.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 12-02-2005 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:23 AM   #118
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Earniel, you there? Could you, please, write the eviction post, how Khamul kicked you and Rian out of the Library - in a most polite way- and told you that you would need the Chancellors permission every time you wish to use it?
Time is between 6 and 6.30 PM- you were in the Library since 3

TD must have his hands free to have at last his interview with Udu, he was eager to post it for several days.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #119
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

LMM,Many thanks for the info on Gawen and Raissa.

So it was Gawen who brought the keys. Interesting that he knows all about the University buildings! I hope it will not lead him to an untimely end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
and what Aiwendis could birth through a union with Valandil - woah. It boggeleth the mind. .
Indeed it does ! Most likely she will have a fine son, looking exactly like his granddad Ilmenzor.So sweet!

He grows up, goes on a long journey, then reappears, slightly changed, takes the scepter after Valandil and rules Armor for a couple thousand years.

Quote:
I tend to think a Nazgulette could not bear children. I think they're already "all stretched out" - like too little butter over too much bread. I think that while their rings keep them alive, it's sort of a mockery of REAL life. "
You have something there Val. I don't think they feel "stretched" anymore, after being wraithed, that description only referred to the end of their natural lives. Later they may feel well, but just different, completely alien to mankind. But anyway, their existence is UNNATURAL. Only the Rings keep them alive. And what about the child during the gestation period? Will the Ring keep it alive also? No, somehow bearing children by nazgulettes doesn't ring true. Spawning some by male nazgul seems more plausible. But still the children will be mortal, they will stink of human blood, they will grow old and die, so very soon from the POV of an immortal...

Quote:
Gordis - you just continue right along with your little plot. Meanwhile, no offense taken. The land is at peace, the Great Enemy has been defeated and his minions are all gone or scattered (right? ), there is prosperity in the land - people marry, have children, grow crops - and are generally happy! Now, just because that isn't what the ML has in mind...
Not only Val, but the ML also wants a shipshape kingdom to rule. I am sure people in Annuminas are happy. But what of Tharbad- the only Arnor port? Without a fleet it is going to decline. There are local interests you know.

Then the ML wants a strong army, Navy, fortresses etc. Gondoreans have all that, as they have enemies - Umbar, Harad, easterlings. Arnor is basking in false security. So, to make Val start arming his people, the ML will have to find an enemy. Gondor will do, if the public opinion is manupulated sufficiently.
If not...Hmm... Perhaps some invasion from the East is in order... Perhaps a raid on the settlements along the Gwathlo by Umbarian corsairs? Mmm, I definitely LIKE the last idea.

Last edited by Gordis : 12-02-2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:01 AM   #120
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Not only Val, but the ML also wants a shipshape kingdom to rule. I am sure people in Annuminas are happy. But what of Tharbad- the only Arnor port? Without a fleet it is going to decline. There are local interests you know.
Ironically - Tharbad was the city of Arnor that survived the longest - up until a few years after Bilbo's birth! (22 years, IIRC) I guess it avoided attracting too much attention to itself... from a particular personage... (or maybe he has a soft spot in his heart - or whatever passes for a heart - after these little misadventures there "Tharbad... Hmmm... I was Chancellor of the University there... now THOSE were some Good Times!")

"ship-shape" - hah!

BTW... I'm not liking the sounds of those long-term plans that the ML has for me. But anyway, don't you think that if he tried to take on Gondor, Lindon and Imladris as soon as he gained the sceptre, that he would get Arnor CREAMED?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Closed Thread