FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2002, 10:12 PM   #101
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
Pffft.

*Kills a small furry animal*
Oh no! Tell me you haven't just killed Gerbil!!! Gerbil, are you alive??!
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:09 AM   #102
Arwen4ever
Hobbit

WHO CAN HAT ARWEN????????

FRODO LIVES
Arwen4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 12:56 PM   #103
Elf Girl
Lurker

Someone who has seen the movie. "If you want him, come and claim him!" Urgh.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 02:06 PM   #104
azalea
Long lost mooter

Arwen is fine in the book, her character just isn't developed much. Unlike many people here, I had no problem with her in the movie. I thought her looks (although a little young) were fine and although it was annoying that they changed so many things in the movie, it didn't affect my enjoyment of it. I took it for what it was -- a way to develop her character to highlight the romance between her and Aragorn.
It may not be the way I would have done it, but I didn't mind too much the way it was done.
Eowyn -- remains to be seen.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 07:26 PM   #105
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

It's the principal(with the movie). All the elves were downright mean. Elrond, Haldir(he was supposed to be mean I guess), Galadriel never got to be nice with the gifts, Arwen was "tough", and it shouldn't be like that. It annoys me to no end
Wulažg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 07:32 PM   #106
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
What about, Legolas? But then again, tinuvielChild got the lines for the movie and he had like 13 short ones
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 08:30 PM   #107
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I agree with you, azalea. I liked Eowyn in the trailer, too.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 08:34 PM   #108
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
You write fanfics?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:19 PM   #109
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
What about, Legolas? But then again, tinuvielChild got the lines for the movie and he had like 13 short ones
17, actually. *shrug*. for me, i picked Arwen over Eowyn. it was a tie originally, but then i considered family ties, and ARWEN ALL THE WAY!!! in the movie, she does usurp Glorfindel's role and steal his horse, and she is such a Mary Sue, but she's all right. I reserve judgement on Eowyn in the movie until December. i have seen the trailer, but that's still not enough to judge her by.

besides, i am TinuvielChild. i am related to Arwen. who am i going to pick? DUH, Arwen!!!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:21 PM   #110
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow

Oh no! Tell me you haven't just killed Gerbil!!! Gerbil, are you alive??!
um crickhollow, i think we may be out of luck. tell me, when was the last time you saw Gerbil on the boards? i haven't seen him around in a very long time. i think we may have to hang his homicide on Blackheart.

no seriously, anyone know what became of Gerbil?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 03:01 PM   #111
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Gandalf

I didn't see him lots of time... I guess he won't return. He little pet...
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 04:23 PM   #112
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I am confused now
I have seen the trailer and i dont think that Eowyn looks right...i may change my judgement on her after i have seen the second movie. However that doesn't help me like Arwen any better. I prefer elves to humans (or men) but Arwen just annoys me, like Eowyn does to Radagast the brown. She was ok in the book, but very under developed. I think that i dont like her because she is going to be involved too much in the next too films and ruining the story line.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 06:49 PM   #113
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

You're right. I'm just so mad since they cut out Glorfindel and Bombadil

grrrrrr
Old 04-30-2002, 06:52 PM   #114
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

But then they butchered ALL of the elves. She was the least uheredof them all in the movie(that's not saying much though). It's just that I know people who are much more elvish than the ones in the movie.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:46 PM   #115
Becka
Sapling

Strider

Hands down , my favorite has to be Eowyn. I think she is a much stronger character then Arwen.
I hope the movie stays true to Eowyn's role in the next film, or at least a little close to it.
Becka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:09 AM   #116
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Welcome to the moot, Becka!

YAy! one more point for Eowyn.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:14 AM   #117
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Eowyn isn't just my favourite of the two, she's probably my favourite character in the entire book. Like Frodo in a sense, she has an air of idealistic adventure about her that leads her to discover the harsh realities of the struggle against evil, and in the end pacifies her and leads her to discover inner peace. And in the process, she learns so much about herself. It's a perhaps understated, certainly underrated heroine's journey that she goes through.

The next film, if the trailer and other news we have heard are any indication, is going to take Eowyn's "offstage" relations with Aragorn and Grima and put them onstage. And I love it.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:35 AM   #118
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I agree. If there are moments when PJ needs to expand on to what the Prof. wrote, I think this is one of them. Role expansion is one thing, chanign what was explicitly written from the source is another.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:36 AM   #119
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'd forsake either of them in a second, for a good cup of coffee.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:18 AM   #120
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
I didn't see him lots of time... I guess he won't return. He little pet...
No worries, I think I noticed some recent posts of him in another thread. We ain't rid of the little rodent yet!

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I'd forsake either of them in a second, for a good cup of coffee.
Do sheep even like coffee? I always thought they stuck to grass.