Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 06:45 PM   #101
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Didn't mean to come off as so grumpy - anyway, I'll log on again later on today when I've got a chance to use my boyfriend's computer, gotta go now - when everyone in Orrodel is out of invisible chains, and not being horse-whipped anymore, and are actually speaking civilly to one another, Viv'll come up & say hi.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-31-2005, 06:46 PM   #102
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

BB, you were right about the Chancellor thing. I changed it to Mogul Lord.

Lotesse, if you had walked in, in the middle of the fight, it is most likley you would have been either sen to deal with the maid or 'tied up' with the others, but your character would not have been killed.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-31-2005, 06:52 PM   #103
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

remiss ... part two

Pre-edit EDIT: damn! hit by the smililes rule once again ....

right, where was i?

...well as an aside from where ever i was ... GOR: you must remember that old bumble is very forgetful ....

of course i am very different from his character ....but just now i have far too much flowing faster than the rapids of vienna coursing through my head .... so for a brief tragi-comic momment me an' ol' bumble share a character momment ...

ok-doky ....back to the ...er.. thingy ...

in no particular order:

Lotesse

great post #408 ... tight, good continuity (actually do NOT mention continuity to me just now .... BAH! ... just a real-life aside) ...

particularly liked the "...letting someone live rent-free in your heart"

and the seminal ..."smell of human lust"

... quick one (Gor will love this ... ... regarding your lovely horse ....

lomi= mistress ..fine ..it's a companion /commision thing ... Mearas = rider (however the love bond nmay grow to be) = 'Mistress' ??? ... IMHO .. NAY! (horse pun ...intended )

... you can have it how you like for me ref horses and Viv ...but would a mearas consider it's rider it's Mistress .... nay! If a mearaas .. then your lovely horse will be proud ...not to say he/she cannot be loyal and loving .... but NO rider would be it's superior ..not even gandalf .... just a thought there ...

Val: i generally support you on the meareas side of horses (wotcha Gor ... but FULLY support the rpg Naz WITH rings to be as OK with animals as they are with elves - a founding principle of this rpg if you read the starting points again ... ... and for lottesse to have a Mearas ... is fine if unlikely ...but fine all the same for my personal view ... but for all other horses they should be VERY RARE INDEED ....

just my thoughts ... ok?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #104
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Ciao, BB! Yes, I DID hesitate a little before I went ahead & put mistress - but I think you're right; a Mearas has his or her Rider, just as much as the Rider has a Mearas. It's sort of a relationship of equality, I think, no? Glad you liked my post! There's something special planned coming up for Viv and company, which will be happening RPG-tomorrow, most likely. Can't wait to post it. Anyway...

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-31-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 PM   #105
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I don't think that's necessarily so. I always understood that to mean that the Nazgul would send some servants to trap and drive the horses to their abode, then slowly train them to tolerate their presence once the horses were in a small, enclosed area, unable to break free. It's hard to catch and ride a horse in the open that doesn't want to be caught and ridden, although you can herd them if you know what you're doing.
Now you made me go and find the exact quote, Rian!
Gandalf explains the possible fate of Saruman to Pippin, while carrying him to Gondor on Shadowfax:
Quote:
But Saruman certainly looked in the Stone since the orc-raid, and more of his secret thought, I do not doubt, has been read than he intended. A messenger has been sent to find out what he is doing. And after what has happened tonight another will come, I think, and swiftly. So Saruman will come to the last pinch of the vice that he has put his hand in. He has no captive to send. He has no Stone to see with, and cannot answer the summons. Sauron will only believe that he is withholding the captive and refusing to use the Stone. It will not help Saruman to tell the truth to the messenger. For Isengard may be ruined, yet he is still safe in Orthanc. So whether he will or no, he will appear a rebel. Yet he rejected us, so as to avoid that very thing! What he will do in such a plight, I cannot guess. He has power still, I think, while in Orthanc, to resist the Nine Riders. He may try to do so. He may try to trap the Nazgûl, or at least to slay the thing on which it now rides the air. In that case let Rohan look to its horses!
So they are discussing the situation when a nazgul comes to Orthank alone and Saruman slays his Fell Beast. There are no servants. There is no time to train a horse. But Gandalf believes the nazgul is capable of taking one of Rohan horses and riding it back to Mordor.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 PM   #106
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Great seeing TD and BB back.

Gordis, I really liked your room layout map. I have seen a number of floor plans for medieval keeps and to some degree, your floor plan follows them. I greatly appreciate all your maps. It helps Udu know where he is going.

"I sincerely would like to know, and I'm asking all my other Nazgul player-family this question - Gordis, Udu, Crazy Squirrel, TD, and Serenoli. What will you do to or with Viv, should she come into the room right now? Kill her? Maim her? Revile her? Ignore her?" - Lotesse

It is rather difficult to do anything when there are three of us chained with invisible chains.

Nice posts, everyone.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 PM   #107
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Shah - did I already compliment your latest post? It's brilliant, I do love it so. And Udu - good stuff, as usual! Won't Ilmenzor be irritated at Khamul for tying everyone up and bull-whipping Lilly, though? He seems like the type that would find all the violence distasteful. Especially ruining Lilly's gorgeous skin. Oh, what do I know. BTW, isn't the maid already dealt with? Maybe RPG-Udu isn't aware that Merwen was already dealt with... Oh, I can't WAIT to see what Aiwendis & Ilmenzor have to say when they walk in that room!!

Old 10-31-2005, 07:28 PM   #108
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

thingy ...part 3

right, time to stop rambling .. especially as i keep getting distracted by other posts both before and during mine ... ... and quite possibly after???? ...well this is but part 3 and i haven't even touched trying to un-encrypt my hasty notes ..... maybe i should have been a doctor??

....mmmm? ... someone mention not rambling?

Rian... diapers????????

*after long-kissing the somewhat perplexed Rian*

" Tyaron rose more slowly ... checking his sword (and dagger)

LOL! .... you girls and your "swords"

... "longing to do for over 3,000 years " ... him and kahmul should get together one night and go see the eastern dancing girls ....

Shah
: loved the fog-wars! .... yes, willow nay marge! ...tis foggy ... though i concur fog can be variable! ... mucho fun all on the fog wars!

*can't make head or tail of my next "note" *

(well, tis' a foggy old town - (starts singing the pogues "dirty ol' town" *)

Shah: where's marty? .. i hope you are not showing favouritism for ray over marty?

...there'll be a stewards enquiry else .... mind you, we have a mearas to make you get the old calculus table out ..... i hope it is a nail-biter whichever way it goes ....

suspense dear GUV .... suspense ...

loved the great stallion STUD line .... great line there!

.... can't even start to say all that i mean to ... but ALL ... and that includes the seminal ''we seek him there, we seek him there" travelling-man - here one minute gone without any rythme or reason, the next ... but much loved for it all the same - Sir GW .... excellent posting indeed ...

so i am REMISS in not having been able to join in or keep up the last few days ... and in NO WAY being able to comment on ALL the wonderful, descriptions of fog, fairies, fountains, fights, friends, foughts (normally spelt with a 'TH' ) ... ghosts, new characters, elves, kings, horses, professors, lust, dances, rings, songs, poems, loves, drink, tortures, machinations and .... spare a thought for my poor humble fingers as they slave away at this 'ere keyboard attempting to describe the roller-coaster of a rpg ride we have enjoyed together ... - catching up ....

*whew*

well, hereth endeth part 3 (for now) ....

back in a bit when i have caught me breath ...

best all BB

- and seriously ALL - some very good writing indeed
Old 10-31-2005, 07:31 PM   #109
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ooh, this next post will have Marty in it, its gonna be a fun one! Thanks for the comments all, I just write what i feel, an from memory.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:48 PM   #110
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

BB - well, I took some artistic license with "diapers" ... I don't suppose they had disposable Pampersâ„¢ (or nappies, as you say on your side of the pond) or anything, but they must have used something! And Arastud, despite his suggestive name, is a fine, upstanding young man, and has really had no one in that general region since his last diapers were taken off.

And i just had to keep the sword motif going (where oh where is King Val?)

3,000 years - yeah, Tyaron's had to take a few cold showers ... But seriously, as JRRT writes in his essay on elven traditions (including marriage and sex), elves are naturally monogamous; it's not a struggle with them - it's their nature.

I'm really looking foward to Bumble's class! Can't wait! Cook up some goodies for us, ok?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-31-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #111
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

This is a great story to read on Hallowe'en, you guys, huh! Our RPG is the bomb!

Old 10-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #112
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
So they are discussing the situation when a nazgul comes to Orthank alone and Saruman slays his Fell Beast. There are no servants. There is no time to train a horse. But Gandalf believes the nazgul is capable of taking one of Rohan horses and riding it back to Mordor.
Yes, that is a good point - you've semi-convinced me of the possibility, although I do NOT think it would be a simple matter of hopping on and riding off. I imagine there would be torture and fear involved - chasing a single horse into a dead end, beating and terrifying it into shaken and rebellious submission, and a lot of fight on the part of the horse at first, until it is broken down through brutality. Don't you think so?

I really hope to see you Nazgul deal with animal reactions, and write some subtle animal fear reactions in your posts.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 10-31-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 PM   #113
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Rian:
Quote:
BB -

(where oh where is King Val?)

heh, Rian!

... more to the point though ...where is Queen Earniel???

i feel you are all REMISS ( ) in not not noticing her absence .... i sincerely hope it is not anything you all know about that i don't? ...

I sincerely hope it has nothing to do with the friendly ( i hope) eagles discussion thing? ... that was never meant in any negative way at all!

Earniel ... where are are you? We (well, i at do any way) miss you ....

very best BB

*scrupuiouslsy .. - at least means it better than he can spell it - decides NOT to send Earniel any flowers! ... remembers last time ... *

btw: very much liked the fountains et al ...

so, SHAH, if i remember correctly ... the GUV was going to make a post? ... talking of which ... VAL ... when id Elmir Phudd going to honour us with his watch-like efficiency?

(sorry ... spelling gone out the window just now ....very much enjoying posting with you guys ...but am mentally drained just now ..)

BB
Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM   #114
Rían

I've seen her on several times today for a short time, and have PMed her with some suggestions for our two elf-chicks getting together again, and await her posts eagerly I love her subtle humor!

Eärniel, Eärniel, come back

or I will make our rpg characters mud-wrestle!

Last edited by Rían : 10-31-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #115
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I know, huh! Where IS Earniel lately? And you, too, BB - you haven't posted much as of late, either! Maybe you can have the tortoises see a Nazgul, and freak out and "run away" - maybe the tortoises would not like the Nazgul. It would be funny, though! Imagine tortoises freaking out (which is in itself kinda funny) and then trying to run away (how fast can they run? )

Old 10-31-2005, 08:22 PM   #116
Rían

That's a great idea, Lotesse! Go for it, BB!

Well, I really want to stay and chat here, it's such fun! but I need to run to the store - I'll be back in a bit, then can't get on until after lunch tomorrow.

Goodbye, all! Get some good posts up for me to read by tomorrow, if you can! (Especially YOU, Eärniel! I need to know if what I posted for you is OK - check my PMs. And you, too, Val!! Your posts are always so well-written and interesting! Go, forces of good! W00t W00t!)

Last edited by Rían : 10-31-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:28 PM   #117
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Serenoli,,

Val, You were right, in LoTR proper Radagast says : "They have taken the guise of riders in black." My fault. But I am sure, that the original sentence, published in "Return of the Shadow" contained "as of old". I remember it quite clearly, though I have no access to any of the books now.
Anyway, nowhere in LOTR it is explicitly said, or implied that riding horses was new for the nazgul. And my point about the Battle of Fornost still stands.

. There is proof that the nazgul horses were able to ride as fast as Shadowfax, or just a little slower. They were outstanding horses. Possibly Mearas.

As for the last question, a nazgul without his ring was always at least troubling for mortals and animals. However, Gandalf said (I am again quoting from memory), that if Saruman managed to kill the nazgul's Fell Beast, then "let Rohan watch its horses". It means, that a nazgul, even in a weakened, ringless state, was able to approach a free horse and ride it. Of course, there is a difference between a random mount, that they might use for travelling, and a trained war-horse.

GOR ... was it not you who said this should be taken over to the nazgul horses thread?

mind you, completely disregarding that ... .... the quote (from memory) said "let Rohan LOOK to it's horses" ..i.e. to hunt the fallen nazgul down!

(only 100.01% certain on that one ... still could be wrong )

... and as you said to me before .... old rhaddy et al are well in the future .... in our vibrant and as lotesse said: a "bomb" of an rpg!

...as you know ... from of old (in the future as it were ( ) ... )

i disagree with the mearas speed of the naz's horses ....

best though, BB
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 PM   #118
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I know, huh! Where IS Earniel lately? And you, too, BB - you haven't posted much as of late, either! Maybe you can have the tortoises see a Nazgul, and freak out and "run away" - maybe the tortoises would not like the Nazgul. It would be funny, though! Imagine tortoises freaking out (which is in itself kinda funny) and then trying to run away (how fast can they run? )

wotcha!

well, i ain't been able to post (nor read) for being too busy for a while ... (someone mention EID? just done a muslim fashion commercial targeted at buying new garments for Eid - a BIG success apparently ) ....ANYWAY ... like the tortoise idea very much .... though i don't think i'll post it // come to think of it i have at least TWO place holders to write ....

not to mention writing something new in terms of new developments ....

looking forward to Viv re-joining the household once the Margul lord is there .... AND the race tommorow?

was it Valandil ? ... who noted it had taken us approx 2 months to do 3 days or so? ... to me that's actually a good thing (provided we can ALL join in)

... well, Lotesse, the doors are well and truly open ...

regarding our rpg ... we have over the last 2 and a bit months have had over 13,000 views .... well over 3,000 discussion posts ... and many many rpg posts and many-fold views of the RPG ....

and you know what?

it is getting better and better ... Not at all thining out ... but like a good stew in a slow-pot ... maturing and strengthening into a full bodied taste ... enriching the slow-boiling plot and flavour ... not to mention simmering at the edges ... yet being succulent and tasty in the centre ...

best, BB
Old 10-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #119
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

BB you're making me hungry for lamb stew!!

Gordis - I love your new post!!! We cross-posted, though; one little thing is that I have Viv pacing in the basement; I'll have her come upstairs after she hears Ilmenzor come in and settle things down. Maybe he can say, "Where is our Viniglaen," or something and by that time Viv'll have come up from the cellar and she can say, "here I am, my Lord," or something to that effect. I LOVE how he handles the situation! It's exactly as I'd imagined the Morgul Lord would have been.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:54 PM   #120
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Yes, that is a good point - you've semi-convinced me of the possibility, although I do NOT think it would be a simple matter of hopping on and riding off. I imagine there would be torture and fear involved - chasing a single horse into a dead end, beating and terrifying it into shaken and rebellious submission, and a lot of fight on the part of the horse at first, until it is broken down through brutality. Don't you think so?
No I don't. I only see, that you must be too much influenced by PJ's Very Bad Movie...

Bye, All!
Closed Thread